• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Monumma

ObqcZiC.png

Griss

Do the visuals look a little washed out to anyone else in GameXplain's vid? Wonder how they capture footage.

If it's as difficult as Polygon (lel) claims it to be then hard mode may be Dark Soul levels of hard :eek:

I'm going to cry a lot trying 100% this game T_T

Griss

UsGamer / MHWilliams said:
Like many open-world games, Ubisoft towers are here, revealing the true shape of the land you're traveling on.

Damn, I've taken so much shit on here for calling them Ubi-towers. Glad to see I was right. They were obviously Ubi-towers from the very first reveal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

You can't really approach any encounter head-on. You need to use stealth, and powers granted to you as you progress, to have a chance of succeeding. You'll occasionally come across an enemy that you simply don't have the right equipment to defeat, and need to find a path around them.

This seems right up my alley.

Zemm

I just thought, with every weapon being pretty much disposable, it's going to make getting the Master Sword even more special (assuming you can get it of course) :eek:

emb

I'm gonna listen to this GameXplain video, and then I think I'm gonna try to avoid most of the info. Don't want to learn too too much too early.

Plum

This seems right up my alley.

Agreed. Sounds like getting to New Vegas at the start of that game but instead of jankily going round some canyons with stealth boys you actually have to use stealth and your wits to get you there.

Amused

"The similarities to Horizon Zero Dawn, another recent open-world game, are noticeable."

So it begins

2,5/5.

Seriously though, these two games are going to steal so much of my time. Zelda together with my girlfriend, Horizon on my own after Nioh.

2017 might end up being one of the best years ever.

Griss

Occasionally, not always, it feels like there's a white haze over the entire game. I don't know if it's a lighting thing or not.

That's a shame. The Wind Waker HD uses that to good effect at dawn, but it's something that should be used only very sparingly, here it seems much more pervasive.

Anyway, great writeup man. The game sounds fantastic.

Nice impressions. It unsurprisingly seems to be a great game.

Let them fight.

Yep.

It isn't even a problem either. It is what it is. I don't know why it has to be defended so strongly.

I fucking love Ubi-towers, that's why I was so willing to call them what they were!

Forkball

Gamespot said:
Breath of the Wild embodies the freedom and danger that made the first Zelda game so enthralling, and captures the feeling of awe that came when Ocarina of Time hit the scene, in this case by layering unspoken variables into seemingly every facet of the game. Based on our early impressions, it's safe to say that Breath of the Wild will forever change what people expect from the series.

The Verge said:
Its more open nature not only creates a sense that you’re really on a grand adventure, but also makes the world feel more dangerous and unpredictable. You aren’t told how the world works; you discover it. There’s a sense of dynamism that I haven’t experienced in a Zelda game before. While wandering the forest I’ve found myself rescuing travelers from monster attacks, and accidentally stumbling upon a crew of moblins hunting boar. I’ve accidentally sent a massive boulder rolling down a mountain, bashing against trees and critters on its way down. Though small, these moments provide a nice balance to a series that has for some time felt intensely scripted. The world feels alive, like it would continue with or without me.

Mashable said:
It's too early to make a judgment, but five hours is enough to convince me that I'm going to spend ten times that — and possibly more — uncovering every inch of this magical world.

Wired said:
While the game was originally in development as a Wii U exclusive, it looks notably improved on the Nintendo Switch. The highly stylised look is gorgeous, and the game world offers a phenomenal depth of detail. Areas of attraction glitter in the distance, and there's rarely anything you can't get to once it's caught your eye.

It may be a very different Zelda, but it's shaping up to be one of the best ever.

Engaget said:
Five hours in, it feels like a contender for the strongest game Nintendo has launched a console with since Super Mario 64. If you weren't thinking about playing it before now, I implore you to reconsider that thought.

rVKm6Ms.png

Hearing about the frame rate issues is incredibly disappointing. Nintendo really should have made sure the Switch was powerful enough to run Zelda at a locked fps in docked mode :/

Big blemish on what might be a truly incredible game.

Top Bottom