• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The No Holds Barred Castle Crashers Official Thread of Broken Netcode and Crash Bugs

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:

30hxw1c.jpg

Thanks to The Behemoth for this wonderful banner

What is Castle Crashers?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/castlecrashersxboxlivearcade/

Hack, slash, and smash your way to victory in this red-hot arcade adventure from the award-winning development studio, The Behemoth! Featuring hand-drawn characters, Castle Crashers® delivers unique hi-res illustrated visuals like nothing you've ever seen before.

Play with up to three friends locally or over Xbox LIVE® and discover the mind-boggling magic and mystery in the amazing world we have created just for you. Save your princess, defend your kingdom, and crash some castles! Play with more than 20 unlockable characters, 40 weapons to customize your hero, and an arsenal of combos and magical attacks to choose from.

* Intuitive combo and magic system: Unlock new combos and magical attacks as your character progresses through the game. You have an almost limitless amount of combos to perform alone, or with a group of friends.
* Arena mode: This mode allows players to battle each other head-on with four unique modes to choose from!
* Experience system: As you fight your way through the various levels of Castle Crashers, your character gains more experience points that will in return give you the option to adjust your four main stats -- Strength, Magic, Defense, and Agility.
* Weapons weapons weapons! Each player has the ability to unlock more than 40 weapons.
* Animal orbs: These little companions add enhancements to your attributes. Each pet has different abilities to benefit you, with various ways of unlocking each one. Defeat a boss and steal his companion, dig them up, or buy them at a store.
* Treasure hunt: Unlockable items, weapons, pet companions, and characters are buried throughout the various levels of Castle Crashers.
* Stores: Spread across the various worlds of Castle Crashers, every store has specific items to sell. Collect gold from killing enemies, finding treasures, or opening chests, then take your collected gold to these stores for some weapons, items, character unlocks, and more!

Release Date and Price

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Crashers

The game will be available for download with the Xbox Live Arcade service, and will cost 1200 Microsoft Points ($15 USD).

On July 28, 2008, Larry Hryb (a.k.a., Major Nelson) announced on his blog that Castle Crashers would be released on August 27, 2008.

Special Feature: Characters of Castle Crashers

http://devblog.thebehemoth.com

characterselect_12.jpg

character5.jpg

It’s the periwinkle knight.
Thursday, March 20th, 2008

Another day, another character revealed. We never intended for our characters to have names. A quote from Dan Paladin, “It’s more fun when the characters don’t have a name because then you can inject your own personality into the characters” With that said I am personally going to refer to this guy as “Dude”.

character61.jpg

New Character - Bear
Monday, April 7th, 2008

Another character unlock for everyone. This is our bear character who is wielding his deadly fish. We also updated the master character list located here. That’s all for now thanks for stopping by!

saracen.jpg

I feel privileged to write about the only middle eastern character in the game, as I am the only middle eastern employee at The Behemoth.

What exactly are Saracens you ask ?

From Wikipedia:

The term Saracen comes from Greek Σαρακηνός, which has often been thought to be derived from the Arabic word شرقيين sharqiyyinOED (s.v.) calls etymologies from this “not well founded”. The term spread into Western Europe through the ByzantinesCrusaders. In the early centuries of the Roman Empire, the Saracens were a nomadic Moor tribe from the Sinai Peninsula, but later the Greek-speaking subjects of the Empire applied it to all Arabs. After the rise of Islam, and especially at the time of the Crusades, its usage was extended to refer to all Muslims, including non-Arab Muslims, particularly those in Sicily and southern Italy. (”easterners”), though the and

In Christian writing, the name was made to mean “those empty of Sarah” or “not from Sarah,” as Arabs were, in Biblical genealogies, descended from Hagar and also called the Hagarenes (Ἀγαρηνοί). According to the Arthurian Lancelot-Grail Cycle, the name derives from Sarras, an island important in the Quest for the Holy Grail.

At the end of the day we really don’t have a name for this character, but we keep referring to them as Saracens. So although the historical information may or may not be exact, we just like the pretty colors and shiny weapons.

Thanks!

-Emil-

thethief.jpg

Thief!!
Thursday, May 1st, 2008

It’s a thief! They steal stuff!

Ya!

brute.jpg

Brute!
Thursday, June 5th, 2008

There have been some requests to post some action shots of the characters as they are revealed. For the time being I am going to start adding screenshots of each characters while they are in battle, and as time permits I’ll try to get some video up too. In the meantime here is our latest unlockable character that we’ve been referring to as the Brute.

ninja.jpg

Ninja!
Monday, June 16th, 2008

Shrouded in mystery, the Ninja holds a Ninja Mug for his defensive shielding.

skeleton.jpg

Skeleton
Thursday, June 19th, 2008

I think it’s safe to say that no game is complete without having the following two items: Destructible wooden crates, and skeletons. Since we already have a supply of crates, and barrels to destroy that just leaves the skeletons!

royalguard1.jpg

Royal Guard
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008

Using a devastating arrow attack, and a flurry of bombs the Royal Guard is very similar to a giant enemy crab that is based on Japanese history? Wha?

killerbeekeeper.jpg

Killer Beekeeper
Monday, July 7th, 2008

What makes this keeper of bees killer you ask? Bees!

ahcharacter.jpg

I had some of our in house testers record a little player versus player action with the Alien Hominid, and the Brute. It’s two separate rounds (videos) showcasing some of the magical attacks that our yellow friend has to offer.

Special Feature: The Weapons of Castle Crashers

weaponlist5.jpg

thinsword.jpg

thicksword.jpg

skinnysword.jpg

pumpkinpeeler.jpg

barbax.jpg

fishwep1.jpg

meattenderizer.jpg

thiefsword.jpg

saiweapon.jpg

club.jpg

saracensword.jpg

ratbeatingbat1.jpg

Special Feature: The Animal Orbs of Castle Crashers

What are Animal Orbs?

Animal Orbs
Wednesday, March 26th, 2008

Animal Orbs provide various bonuses and enhancements. Once found, these helpers will float next to the player and automatically provide a bonus. The list below will slowly unlock as we get closer to launch, but not all orbs will be unveiled on this site. We currently have a total of 23 animal orbs in the game.

animalorbselect72.jpg

owlet.jpg

It’s Owlet
Wednesday, March 26th, 2008

Although we’ve previously mentioned we don’t like to name things in our game, with animal orbs we’ve made an exception. Say hello to Owlet. His bonus consists of flying around while you fight off the endless hordes of enemies and bring you much needed food you will need to survive.

scratchpaw.jpg

Scratchpaw
Tuesday, April 8th, 2008

Our latest animal friend is Scratchpaw. This little dude will give you +2 to agility, and +1 to strength, that’s not too bad for a floating kitty. For all of your animal orb needs don’t forget to visit the Animal Orbs section.

pazzo.jpg

Pazzo
Monday, April 14th, 2008

Pazzo provides a pretty useful bonus to the player. Not sure if this one will change or not before release, but for now this is what we have his bonus set to.

thanks!

-emil-

*Edit* - Pazzo’s enhancements were updated.

seahorse.jpg

Seahorse !
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008

This week we bring you Seahorse!

Seahorse will make sure that you walk through water at the same speed as you would if you were on land.

cardinal.jpg

Cardinal
Tuesday, May 13th, 2008

This week we have the Cardinal orb. As stated below, this little guy will help you find various secret items, he works in a similar way to Owlet

giraffey1.jpg

Giraffey !
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008

Giraffey will help you level up your character faster. Not to mention his tongue is constantly sticking out of his mouth.

Thanks!

biteybat.jpg

Bitey Bat
Wednesday, May 28th, 2008

Since we had an extended weekend, we’ll be providing some back to back postings this week. Say hello to Bitey Bat, who will attack enemies with his awesome bat biting abilities

frogglet.jpg

The Weapon’s Frog in the game serves as a type of weapons locker where all weapons you find in the game will be stored. Each weapon will be inside of this frog and the player will be able to go inside view his current list, and switch to a weapon at any time.

With that said, here’s Frogglet:

monkeyfaceorb.jpg

Next up we have the Monkeyface Orb, which will increase your luck with finding items.

trollorb.jpg

I’m going to break away from routine today and post two Animal Orbs in one post.

First up we have the Troll Orb, which helps you regenerate your health faster.

chickenorb.jpg

Behemoth Chicken Animal Orb
Wednesday, June 25th, 2008

Our company mascot finally makes an appearance in Castle Crashers. I’ve never seen poultry help out in so many ways!

Special Feature: Beefy Mode

pbjokay.jpg

Hello. I wanted to show everyone our Beefy Mode in Castle Crashers, and instead of showing you a screenshot of it in action I figured a very short gameplay video was long overdue. Before we get to that here’s a little diagram that Dan put together to help further explain it. (sort of)

Beefy Mode is activated by eating some awesome PB&J sandwiches.

Special Feature: PAX and TGS Info

Penny-Arcade Expo, Tokyo Game Show

If you find yourself in Seattle on August 29th, (yep that’s 2 days after the game launches for 1200 MS Points/Space Bucks) we’ll be at the Penny Arcade Expo (booth 842) with amazing limited edition products to complete your life!

For our friends in Tokyo (or if you are lost in Tokyo), please please come meet with us at the Tokyo Game Show on October 11 and 12 (Booth 3-N23) because we don’t speak Japanese and you probably do!

Screenshots:

934458_20080715_screen001.jpg

934458_20080715_screen003.jpg

934458_20080715_screen008.jpg

934458_20070718_screen004.jpg

934458_20070718_screen007.jpg

934458_20070718_screen012.jpg

Video:

Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/3041.html

IGN XBLA

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/844/844289/vids_1.html

Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/castlecrashers/media.html?mode=trailers

Previews:

1up.com

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3152336&did=1

IndieGames.com

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/02/gdc_2008_castle_crashers_previ.html

Gamezone

http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p30462.htm

IGN XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/889/889811p1.html

UGO

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=16978

Achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/castle-crashers/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

K.I.S.S 15
Collect all four princess' kisses in a multiplayer game

Traditional 20
Complete the game using any character

The Traitor 20
Defeat any boss by playing one of his own minions

Deer Trainer 20
Navigate the abandoned mill without hitting any obstacle

Conscientious Objector 20
Complete the barbarian area without attacking once

Maximum Firepower 10
Using a catapult, fling a knight with maximum power

Animal Handler 20
Collect all of the animals

Arena Master 15
Win 40 ranked arena matches

Glork 15
Win 20 ranked All You Can Quaff Matches

Melee is Best 15
Defeat any boss without using any magic

Treasure Hunter 20
Find and dig up ten buried items

Medic! 10
Resuscitate all of your fallen comrades

Reviews:

IGN XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/903/903047p2.html

9.0, Outstanding, Editor's Choice Award

Special Feature: GAF Castle Crashers Metatag

(neutral) SpeedRazor
(Today, 10:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

I'm there day 1.

I created a Metatag for us if you guys want to utilize it.

GT is GAF Crashers - add that to your friends list, and then you can view friends of the tag to see someone else that is on the list - that way you only need to add one tag to your friends list instead of everyone individually.

I'll check it daily and accept friend invites for it as it they come along.

Add Yourself to: GAF Crashers Gamertag Group

View: GAF Crashers Gamertag Group

Somnia

This game is going to be so great :D I think I have all of my games for the rest of the year on a list and I forgot all about the upcoming XBLA titles...damnit so many games!

armubaba

Holy shit this game will own. Day fucking ONE.

Thermite said:
Can't freaking wait. This game is going to be so damn fun with three other friends. :D

TGS, muthafucka.

Get on the IRC; I long for your IMs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat odd question....

That picture of Alien Hominid... he's standing amongst like hundreds of corpses... is that something that happens dynamically in the game as you unleash your fury? Or is it just a background.

Nif

Yesssssssssss.

Jtwo said:
Somewhat odd question....

That picture of Alien Hominid... he's standing amongst like hundreds of corpses... is that something that happens dynamically in the game as you unleash your fury? Or is it just a background.

It's part of the level, I think.

Darkpen

Banned
wow, is it because I haven't been following castle crashers at all, or have all of the flash movie references been in this from the beginning? Alien Hominid's one thing, but the angry face on the health bar? The carrot with the clock face? D:

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm all for the $15 initiative...with this game and Braid leading the helm, there's gonna be so much greatness on the way for this new price point (allowing the devs to add so much more to the game art, for one).

If I had a 360, day one. :D

TDG

Banned
Oh man I can't wait for this game. Behemoth are such good developers, I am just drooling in anticipation for their newest masterpiece.

Captain N

I am hoping to get some Co-Op in with some GAFers on Wed...of course I'll be working until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, but I'll be on right after work.

mm04

Geez, after seeing the rest of the details, I'm not surprised that it's only getting released now. The game is waaaaay more than I thought it was going to be. Honestly, I was expecting a 3 hour button mashing romp with really no depth or unlockables. Very nice effort by The Behemoth.

JSnake

Awesome OP.

I am so stoked for the XBLA game of the forever (until Banko-Kazooie XBLA releases)! :D

Gamertag is Hexjackal if you guys wanna do some coop on launch day (or after).

TDG

Banned
mm04 said:
Geez, after seeing the rest of the details, I'm not surprised that it's only getting released now. The game is waaaaay more than I thought it was going to be. Honestly, I was expecting a 3 hour button mashing romp with really no depth or unlockables. Very nice effort by The Behemoth.
Seriously. The people who were thinking this game would be a rip-off for $15 had no idea.

duffey

The Behemoth really did the header for you? That's awesome!

And definitely day one for me. I'm really excited about this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Costanza said:
Hey Shard, you should add a list of gamertags to the OP.

Mine is costanza x

I may do that if there are enough gamertags posted to justify such an endeavor.

poweld

So... there is Live multiplayer, right? Either way, it's a day 1 for me, but that will make it a very sweet deal for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching a few of the videos.. what the fuck is up with the giant hand telling you to go to the right every 40 seconds or so. :lol :lol :lol

Teknoman

Gamertag: TeknomanEX

Ready to crash some castles.

Jtwo said:
I'm watching a few of the videos.. what the fuck is up with the giant hand telling you to go to the right every 40 seconds or so. :lol :lol :lol

Youtube search Streets of Rage, Rushing Beat, Final Fight, Knights of the Round, etc. etc.

Top Bottom