• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

OsirisBlack

Banned
enR7uE4.gif

Dude please stop.

MmklEEs.jpg

VrOkMA3.jpg

I think ill come join the OT fun tomorrow when it releases. Im more excited about community impressions, lore details, and little things people find in game. This isn't the review thread, yet people seem to be posting about reviews and not the game itself..

hydruxo

I think ill come join the OT fun tomorrow when it releases. Im more excited about community impressions, lore details, and little things people find in game. This isn't the review thread, yet people seem to be posting about reviews and not the game itself..

Well the game isn't officially out yet so I imagine this OT will still be mostly review talk until tomorrow. There's just less negativity in here than the review thread cause we're still looking forward to the game.

Palocca

Typical, tried and done would be the best way to describe it?

After chapter 5 you only need to blink once and you'll be at chapter 8, no joke.

So it's not good? That's disappointing, the setting and the characters were the biggest draw for me.

Loudninja

Well the game isn't officially out yet so I imagine this OT will still be mostly review talk until tomorrow. There's just less negativity in here than the review thread cause we're still looking forward to the game.
Ehhhh we have a topic for those reviews that's why its made.

But whatever tomorrow is the day!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
You guys, story wise, I would have loved an angle in which Galahad, Izzy and Alistair were
all adopted by the Lord Chancellor, except Galahad was just a friend from their village who was like a brother to Alistair and had a protective crush over Izzy. Then, in the struggle between the Half Breeds and The Order for the right to exist and not be hunted, it's revealed that Galahad is unknowingly a lycan himself, getting exiled and persecuted by the Order. But this time Alistair reveals that he planned to undermine the Order with the help of the vampires to help "their kind" (his and his "brother" Galahad's) win the battle by creating an even stronger breed of hybrids, and overpower the tyranny of The Order. This way the brotherly conflict ensues, while Izzy feels abandoned by both of them, and Galahad has to choose between his brother's life long resentment for The Order, The Order's lies deceit, and Izzy.
IMHO, a much more interesting family, trust dynamic than what RAD cooked up.

Can I get an Amen?

No...?

A'ight... *walks away melancholically.*

You can watch me on twitch as well as I show you why there is no reflection present of Galahad in the mirror...

Twitch.tv/alyshikari

Alternatively: The Order 1886 -
Bluray Movie RIP - Lossless

MattyG

Banned
I watched a bit of the Kinda Funny video review discussion and I think I got the final boss and a plot twist spoiled for me. Boooooo.

Wakka212

I watched a bit of the Kinda Funny video review discussion and I think I got the final boss and a plot twist spoiled for me. Boooooo.

Yeah...same thing happened to me. Though there was a spoiler warning, I did not expect them to go that far...especially considering it was a review/impressions video a day before the game is even released.

Regardless, I think there is a lot more to the story and characters so we'll still have a great time.

Despite the reviews, I'm still very much looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Excited about the story, visuals, and punchy weapsons! I get the feeling I'll want to run through this game at least 2-3 times.

If its good it wont. Life is Strange is a solid game and got reviewed as such. Its the same type of genre. I do suspect though that the $60 price tag hurts these games in reviews.
Life is strange is really bad. How it gets better reviews than this blows my fucking mind. It also has less gameplay, but its cheap so good reviews all around I guess.

MattyG

Banned
Dude why would you watch that?
I didn't think there was gonna be too many spoilers. I watched it like 3 hours ago, and I just went back to the part in the video again and I don't think anything really got spoiled. What I thought I heard wasn't said. My mind is playing tricks on me.

Yeah...same thing happened to me. Though there was a spoiler warning, I did not expect them to go that far...especially considering it was a review/impressions video a day before the game is even released.

Regardless, I think there is a lot more to the story and characters so we'll still have a great time.

Despite the reviews, I'm still very much looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Excited about the story, visuals, and punchy weapsons! I get the feeling I'll want to run through this game at least 2-3 times.
Yeah, I kind of wish it'd been a more barebones discussion, but like I said above, I don' think anything got too spoiled, if anything at all. I think I thought I heard something that I didn't or something. I guess I'll find out tomorrow! lol

EDIT: Yeah, I misinterpreted what Greg meant. Yay, nothing really got spoiled. I'm going to go relatively dark until I play it now.

Dawg

I know it's just one opinion, but to the people still getting it: don't worry too much about it being utter shit or not.

I might be on the higher side of things with my review (75) but I think my conclusion should be able to tell you it is still worth playing:

If you're not interested in a cinematic third-person shooter, then this game is probably not for you. With an average playing time of eight to ten hours, this is a game that only fans of the cinematic approach will appreciate. The story is a double edged sword. The way they tell it is impressive, but the story itself has a lot of inconsistencies and is only really good as a foundation for a potential sequel. The gameplay is standard third-person shooter stuff with a noticeable lack of challenge and a few minor faults like a disappointing melee system and a few animations (such as rolling) you can only use when the game wants you to. In terms of presentation, it is a clear winner. Far above all other games. It is an aspect that rightly deserves praise and hopefully it will encourage other developers to reach a similar level of detail. It makes the future of this generation look promising. As a whole, The Order 1886 is definitely worth playing and it turns out to be a nice introduction to a franchise we hope will have a bright future ahead of it. However, this game is not without its faults and we simple cannot deny the fact this game is a bit light on the content side. It is obvious this game has paid a heavy price to reach the immensely high production values. It is up to the player to decide whether it was worth it.

Loudninja

I know it's just one opinion, but to the people still getting it: don't worry too much about it being utter shit or not.

I might be on the higher side of things with my review (75) but I think my conclusion should be able to tell you it is still worth playing:
Very nice thanks Dawg.

Wakka212

For those who have played the game:

I understand the quality of the story is largely up to one's taste, but how would you guys describe the overall pacing? I'm seeing many reviewers having problems with the games pacing and wanted to know if GAF agrees.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks, Dawg.

I still hope people will like it like I did. I hope to post a video tomorrow in the night of some gameplay I recorded for those who are still on the fence.

For those who have played the game:

I understand the quality of the story is largely up to one's taste, but how would you guys describe the overall pacing? I'm seeing many reviewers having problems with the games pacing and wanted to know if GAF agrees.

I hope you like calm moments and a bit of walking. I think that's the problem of some people who played the game, they found that there were too many parts where you simply "investigate". I personally liked them, because it allowed me to take in the atmosphere from the game.

How did you get average playtime of 8-10 hours? It seems most reviews are claiming 7. Are you basing the average on hard mode? Also, I'm guessing most experienced gamers should start on hard mode, right?

Ricky_R

Pretty fair, level headed closure.

Dawg

How did you get average playtime of 8-10 hours? It seems most reviews are claiming 7. Are you basing the average on hard mode? Also, I'm guessing most experienced gamers should start on hard mode, right?

Yes, I played on Hard and explored every nook and cranny. I don't think all the journalists played on hard.

And yes, I'd recommend hard for a first playthrough. Hell, I'd argue it is *the* way to play.

Sweep14

I'm nearly one hour into the game. for the moment, there's nothing in it justifying a low score. Gameplay is solid (playing on hard, no aim assist and camera bias on)

Definitely. The largest gunfight I encountered was a little challenging, but nothing too difficult for experienced gamers.

Nafai1123

Banned
This sounds like the type of game I will love to play, but it is rather hard to justify the $60 price tag. That said, I still have a $25 gift card for Gamestop so I might bite anyways.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Dawg, chime in the story discussion.

What would you like to have seen instead? They could have gone the Underworld route at the end after a good bit of massacring the Lycans and pull a Spec Ops the line and guilted us for genocide lol...

I want theories people. Let's give RAD some ideas!

Loudninja

What would you like to have seen instead? They could have gone the Underworld route at the end after a good bit of massacring the Lycans and pull a Spec Ops the line and guilted us for genocide lol...

Dude let the game come out first for the rest of us! :p

Wakka212

I hope you like calm moments and a bit of walking. I think that's the problem of some people who played the game, they found that there were too many parts where you simply "investigate". I personally liked them, because it allowed me to take in the atmosphere from the game.

I'm in the same boat as you; I love slower moments in games, it makes the experience far more immersive and believable.

Though I absolutely adored TLOU action gameplay segments, some of my favorite sections were slower and investigative.

BiGBoSSMk23

Dude let the game come out first for the rest of us! :p

Aw shit... That's right >.>

Anyway. I already have my own fantasized version of the plot. I may do a write up later on.

Elios83

Amazon shipped my copy, really looking forward to play it =)
I knew that reviews would be mixed since it became clear that RAD was focusing on the linear cinematic aspect, that seems to be considered poison by many, but personally I think there's room for this kind of experience and I'm in the group of people who like them.

Ricky_R

Give us till Monday at least.

nib95

Banned
Played just under 3 hours worth and really enjoying it. If it weren't for me needing to eat, I'd have carried on playing. First few chapters are definitely cut scene heavy, but they work well to set the tone. Early on there's also a lot of exposition and linear exploration, but I don't mind the slower pace. What a sight the world is to behold though. Breathtaking really. The attention to detail is staggering.

Most surprising to me is how solid the gunplay feels. Weighty, with a lot of recoil and punch. The weapons aren't precision accurate at range, so you have to be wary, but with patience and recoil control, you can be pretty devastating. The only negative I have of the gunplay is that enemy's hit reactions aren't as animated and lively as they could have been. They die and drop realistically, but you seldom get that satisfying death dance the way you do with Killzone 2 for example.

Cover system has been fine, but not as polished as Gears or Last of Us's implementation. I wish I knew how to switch cover around corners lol. Tells you how to go from cover to cover without leaving it, but not around corners as far as I can tell, unless I just missed it.

Be warned, this game really is linear, so don't expect the level of freedom you get even with cinematic linear games like LoU, which offer a more open version of linear than even this, if that makes sense. I can imagine this will be a bigger issue for some, as the linearity can make the experience somewhat directed. I do however enjoy reading the articles, and looking over the different objects and collectibles that are sprinkled about.

Lastly, the quality of writing, acting and characters so far are excellent. Certainly up there with the best of them. Each of the main characters has a strong personal identity and draw, and the banter shines through to make them seem far more human and grounded, albeit with that old age chivalrous touch. Story seems intriguing so far and I can't wait to see how it develops.

Dawg

Include more monsters, because as things are now, the focus is too much on ze humans ;p

heavy spoiler, do not click:

Just make Galahad the new Dark Knight in the sequel, hunting down vampires and werewolves as the lone wolf he is now. Secretly assisted by Tesla, providing him with the latest equipment. He will be hunted by Izzy, but it turns out she's actually a vampire herself. Zomg! You hypocrite beech!

Been reading the reviews this morning, still going to buy the game so that I can judge it for myself. Been intrigued with its premise ever since I first saw the trailer at E3 a few years ago.

WITHE1982

SOLD! Sounds right up my alley. Glad I pre-ordered this now. I loved TLOU but really thought it was ruined when the combat started. Seems The Order has a similar style. I'm gonna love it.

shandy706

I wish I knew how to switch cover around corners lol. Tells you how to go from cover to cover without leaving it, but not around corners as far as I can tell, unless I just missed it.

That's because you can't. You can only switch from cover to cover that is beside you, for some reason.

Ricky_R

Played just under 3 hours worth and really enjoying it. If it weren't for me needing to eat, I'd have carried on playing. First few chapters are definitely cut scene heavy, but they work well to set the tone. Early on there's also a lot of exposition and linear exploration, but I don't mind the slower pace. What a sight the world is to behold though. Breathtaking really. The attention to detail is staggering.

Most surprising to me is how solid the gunplay feels. Weighty, with a lot of recoil and punch. The weapons aren't precision accurate at range, so you have to be wary, but with patience and recoil control, you can be pretty devastating. The only negative I have of the gunplay is that enemy's hit reactions aren't as animated and lively as they could have been. They die and drop realistically, but you seldom get that satisfying death dance the way you do with Killzone 2 for example.

Cover system has been fine, but not as polished as Gears or Last of Us's implementation. I wish I knew how to switch cover around corners lol. Tells you how to go from cover to cover without leaving it, but not around corners as far as I can tell, unless I just missed it.

Be warned, this game really is linear, so don't expect the level of freedom you get even with cinematic linear games like LoU, which offer a more open version of linear than this, if that makes sense. I do however enjoy reading the articles, and looking over the different objects and collectibles that are sprinkled about.

Lastly, the quality of writing, acting and characters so far are excellent. Certainly up there with the best of them. Each of the main characters has a strong personal identity and draw, and the banter shines through to make them seem far more human and grounded, albeit with that old age chivalrous touch. Story seems intriguing so far and I can't wait to see how it develops.

Thanks Nib.

I am watching someone on twitch and seems to be bad tearing in the middle of the screen. I don't know if it is the game or the setup.

Top Bottom