• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

I understand if you want to support the developers, but "because I can afford to" isn't a reason.

Regardless of whether it's good or bad, you can get the whole experience from renting it for maybe 2 nights. If you just want to support the developer, that's fine.

Who are you to decide what are valid criteria for other people to use in their decision making process regarding what games to buy ?
On topic, the somewhat low scores for this dont surprise me, but I will see for myself tomorrow. If the campaign is solid I'm good.

Lnkn52

I think I may leave GAF, the whole review thread has literally made me not really like this place anymore. It sucks too, because there is actually a lot of awesome people I've met on here. One's who have even helped me with my own game. I just can't take it anymore- I guess this place isn't for me, I just can't join in on all of this cynicism. It's not for me. I like being a positive person, I hate being negative.

Because even if you don't enter the thread, it will spill in to others.

That's life in general. Today through the weekend is going to be the 'hip" thing to hate and make fun of The Order. As soon as something else starts trending, not all but most people will forget about this.

GobFather

From IGN courtesy of the review thread.

fagqF35.png

Yea

whoa, I never expected reviewers or professional websites to act like that..... what's happening lol

QaaQer

Can't wait to get my hands on this. First thing tomorrow morning. The reviews have honestly had minimal bearing on my excitement. I know what I'm getting. Hell, I liked Ryse and that got absolutely shitted on. I still replay it from time to time. The impression I get from GAF and a lot of critics is that many seemingly hold every game to certain arbitrary standards across the board. I just don't do that. I don't hold a game like The Wolf Among Us to the same standard as DAI, nor DAI to the same standard as The Order 1886 or Transistor or anything else. I also don't feel like price vs length ratio should be a factor in professional reviews. Yes, a game's length should be mentioned, but the price vs how long a game lasts is something I feel is a decision the consumer should make. At least a game should not be docked for charging $60 at a certain length anyway.

Every individual game I judge it solely based off its merits. I don't factor in "what other games have done" as seems to be much of complaints regarding The Order's design. I don't give a shit about that. It doesn't need "exploration", it doesn't need "new gameplay systems" to set itself apart for me. Ready at Dawn set out with a vision to practically blend film and game, and I think they achieved that here. I'm the kind of person that has immense enjoyment from jumping between a diverse set of games like Transistor and Resogun to GTA, to Elder Scrolls, to The Evil Within, Bayonetta, and to something extremely cinematic and linear like The Order. I'm in love with the variety I have at my leisure, there's more than enough room for The Order in my house. Love it. Bring it on baby.

I wish I was as positive about stuff as you. You seem like a well balanced guy. :)

Korten

Banned
That's life in general. Today through the weekend is going to be the 'hip" thing to hate and make fun of The Order. As soon as something else starts trending, not all but most people will forget about this.

It really isn't though. Honestly I don't find it hard to be positive in life. If anything I see way more negativity online than in real life.

TP-DK

Why are some of you going to buy the game? This is a genuine question. Are you planning on playing it again after you finish it? Why not save money, rent and get the whole experience for less money?

I'm just curious.

Why buy any singleplayer game?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think I still want this game, but the price at $70AU is a real obstacle. I let reviews prevent my day one Ryse purchase and I regretted it because I loved Ryse.

Having said that, buying it 10 months later meant paying $49AU with every shred of DLC included. I believe the girl at JB said I could get a refund within a week.

If I don't enjoy it enough to play more than once I might just return it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are some of you going to buy the game? This is a genuine question. Are you planning on playing it again after you finish it? Why not save money, rent and get the whole experience for less money?

I'm just curious.

I replay linear games all the time.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
whoa, I never expected reviewers or professional websites to act like that..... what's happening lol

they are acting like bullies

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
to those that have it,are you finding yourself walking into a room,only to just stand there and admire the detail,not wanting to move forward because it just looks so damn good ?

Yeah.

That's why I spend most of my GAF time in the Off-topic section these days. Far less fan-fights and negativity. It's not exempt from cynicism but I don't find it nearly as bad.

As long as you steer clear of the spiderman threads. Miles vs Peter. Tobey vs Andrew. Blood everywhere.

I think the issue with the gaming side is what you often find in religious and political threads. People become so entrenched in an ideology that anything that does not align with it is shunned, derided and declared evil.

Less than 12 hours people

curb

Banned

Kind of an unprofessional, dick move.

the-monarch-400.jpg

I just wanted an excuse to post a pic of The Monarch

As long as you steer clear of the spiderman threads. Miles vs Peter. Tobey vs Andrew. Blood everywhere.

I think the issue with the gaming side is what you often find in religious and political threads. People become so entrenched in an ideology that anything that does not align with it is shunned, derided and declared evil.

Less than 12 hours people

Spider-Man is crazy divisive over there.

Edit: Also,
#TeamGarfield

undecided

I guess I preordered the collectors edition from best buy back in July when they must have had a sale. Is that a thing that people are still interested in? I don't think I will be keeping it but I am trying to decide if I should just return it or try and pass it along at the lower price I paid.

I was holding on to a bit of hope that the game wouldn't be exactly what I thought it was going to be, all the up to the last minute, but then the spoiler videos started popping up and....well, those scores aren't surprising. I don't want to simply pile on as RAD is getting more than enough of that, so I'll just say I hope they can bounce back from this and learn from their mistakes (critically anyway, because there's a high chance the game will do well commercially). The engine is created and seems to perform pretty miraculously, so take that tech and make something substantial with it. Play the best shooters + action-adventure titles to learn what makes good encounter design and pacing, go after people who've made a name for themselves in AI and make them an offer they can't refuse, don't simply set up a world or look forward to sequels but actually create a satisfying self contained experience, do more with your environments, don't depend solely on cutscenes to tell a story (which backfires immensely if the story isn't worth telling), etc.

There's a lot of talent at RAD, so I hope they can put themselves in a position to showcase that next time beyond the AV teams.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I'm just curious.

Why are you concerned with what people do with their own money?

Artex

Banned

I'm just curious.

Because I want to play it, I want to own it, I want the collector's edition, and I'm not poor.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well if this anything like Ryse I'll jump on it at a later date when it's dirt cheap. Ryse wasn't worth $100 (no game really is but that's an Australian problem) but I eventually got it on both Xbox and PC.

Elginer

Still looking forward to it. Can't wait to get my copy tomorrow. Disgusted at the dog piling on this title and its studio. You'd think they drowned a bag of puppies at some of the response their getting from some folks. I'd love to say that I'm surprised by the gaming media but they've been like this for quite some time now.

Intrigue

Banned
Why buy any singleplayer game?

Most fun games I ever played are "single player" games. ( red dead redemption, heavy rain, civilization )

Sarcasm:
Why buy Halo MCC ( it's a single player game amirite )
CoD is only game worth buyingright?

DevilFox

You know what irks me about that review twitter conversation? Kotaku being the site that wrote all those sad layoff stories, often related to games not doing as expected or scoring badly.

To see such a conversation shows to me you have no respect for the people behind this game. No matter how crappy it is, it's unprofessional. I respect the sites that gave this game a 4/10 or similar scores, because we all have different opinions. But do we really need to say stuff like that? I know Kirk only favourited the replies, but still..

It's pretty bad. There's also people saying the studio deserves to be shut down, RAD should be embarassed, etc.

Ridiculous nonsense. They had a vision for a game and they put it out there. The market didn't receive it too well. No one's forcing anyone to buy the game they don't want.

RAD will adapt and deal with the consequences. There's no reason for people to be angry/malicious.

There's an entire thread to shit on Pessino on a forum that I'm not even going to name, they spent all day to laugh at every review score (mind you, none of them played the game). It's just sad.

Can't wait to get my hands on this. First thing tomorrow morning. The reviews have honestly had minimal bearing on my excitement. I know what I'm getting. Hell, I liked Ryse and that got absolutely shitted on. I still replay it from time to time. The impression I get from GAF and a lot of critics is that many seemingly hold every game to certain arbitrary standards across the board. I just don't do that. I don't hold a game like The Wolf Among Us to the same standard as DAI, nor DAI to the same standard as The Order 1886 or Transistor or anything else. I also don't feel like price vs length ratio should be a factor in professional reviews. Yes, a game's length should be mentioned, but the price vs how long a game lasts is something I feel is a decision the consumer should make. At least a game should not be docked for charging $60 at a certain length anyway.

Every individual game I judge it solely based off its merits. I don't factor in "what other games have done" as seems to be much of complaints regarding The Order's design. I don't give a shit about that. It doesn't need "exploration", it doesn't need "new gameplay systems" to set itself apart for me. Ready at Dawn set out with a vision to practically blend film and game, and I think they achieved that here. I'm the kind of person that has immense enjoyment from jumping between a diverse set of games like Transistor and Resogun to GTA, to Elder Scrolls, to The Evil Within, Bayonetta, and to something extremely cinematic and linear like The Order. I'm in love with the variety I have at my leisure, there's more than enough room for The Order in my house. Love it. Bring it on baby.

Same here, I agree.

You're making a mistake by calling them professional in the first place. I just remembered Eurogamer's YT thumbnail with Galahad crying, lol.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
All I'm saying is, if some guy all the way from India calls you about consolidating your credit, you can at least give him 45 min of your time.

Frillen

Just beat the game along with the getting the platinum. If I had to give a score I would probably rate it around what the meta is. So 6,5/10 or whatever. I have no desire to play it again, mostly because I have zero reasons to do so. Unskippable cut scenes doesn't hep either.

While the game provided me with solid gameplay, gorgeous graphics and great voice acting, the whole experience was way too shallow and forgettable. There's absolutely zero replay value. Like nothing to do after you beat it. Literally.

Last boss battle spoiler:
the last boss battle is QTE battle.

Cloudy

Banned

I'm just curious.

Because I love the premise of the game and favor cinematic games in general. I don't believe the game is as bad as reviews say and I want to support a developer who is making the type of games I like.

Beyond Two Souls was my 2nd favorite game of 2013 and that was trashed as well :)

kyser73

Well if this anything like Ryse I'll jump on it at a later date when it's dirt cheap. Ryse wasn't worth $100 (no game really is but that's an Australian problem) but I eventually got it on both Xbox and PC.

I'm paying $60 for my copy from Dick Smith, haven't paid more than $70 for a new game since I moved to Australia except for saving & getting GTAV digitally. Loads of pre-order deals.

Loakum

Banned
I'm really not feeling how gleeful some of these so called "professional" game sites are unprofessionally shitting on this game. If they didn't like it then fine, but posting silly pictures and making off comment tweets about it is very juvenile. I find it ironic that these are the same sites that preach how they want the gaming industry to be taken seriously, and then they display this kindergarten type of behavior. Now I'm hoping The Order 1886 will be a financial hit for RAD.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Honestly hope this whole Order review thing doesn't kill cinematic games.
I like short intense single player games. I dont care about the eighty hour loot/quest/collectathons, but I understand there's a market for them.

There's also a market for single player cinematic experiences. Is 6 hours too short? No. My life doesn't revolve around video games, and I already have other things to read/watch/play/do.
Even great single player experiences like Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us felt a little too long for me self. So please game review sites, stop being dicks.

Skux

Yeah, I can't condone some of these social media jabs. People can write heavily critical reviews about a game without disrespecting the people that made it.

Seeing these tweets and posts along the lines of "haha you made a shitty game you suck" is schoolyard bullying and saddening to see from professionals.

There's also a market for single player cinematic experiences. Is 6 hours too short? No. My life doesn't revolve around video games, and I already have other things to read/watch/play/do.

But from what people are saying if you were able to skip the cut scenes you'd be looking at a 3 hour game.

GobFather

I like short intense single player games. I dont care about the eighty hour loot/quest/collectathons, but I understand there's a market for them.

Even great single player experiences like Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us felt a little too long for me self. So please game review sites, stop being dicks.

That's me. Although I do like "some" multiplayer games... I can't because I have limited time, i prefer single player campaigns :p

they are acting like bullies

Kind of an unprofessional, dick move.

the-monarch-400.jpg

I just wanted an excuse to post a pic of The Monarch

yea :/

Seventy70

I'm not concerned, I just wanted to know why people were buying it over renting.

Seems like people took my comment in a really wrong way. I wasn't insulting anyone, I just wanted to know why people were buying the game because I'm curious.

curb

Banned
But from what people are saying if you were able to skip the cut scenes you'd be looking at a 3 hour game.

But what if you don't want to skip the cut scenes? What if experiencing the story in it's intended manner is part of the enjoyment to some people?

But what if you don't want to skip the cut scenes? What if experiencing the story in it's intended manner is part of the enjoyment to some people?

True. But I'd like the option to skip them for example if you die in a sequence where you've seen the cut scene 2/3 times.

Pro

I can be concern that indirectly affects you in cases such as the "Backlog Threads" where people literally have thousands of games they have spent money on and never touched. You can present a valid argument on the state of the housing market or welfare or health care related to that level of needless spending by consumers. But in this instance it's more or less moot. Most people quoted using disposable income so...there ya go.

Thing is, I'm about 7 hours in, on Chapter IX and for me I've done more shooting than watching. The whole "cinematic game" thing is blown out of proportion IMO.

Just because I can afford to buy a car, that doesn't mean I should do it. I was asking why people would buy over renting it. Wouldn't you get the same experience for less money?
Because I want to support the developer? They're not going to be able to afford a sequel/new IP if everyone rents it.

EDIT: Damn at that IGN picture. It's a bit funny, but damn does it look unprofessional. If this was done to a popular developer, they would have gotten so much flak for it. :S

Seventy70

Because I want to support the developer? They're not going to be able to afford a sequel/new IP if everyone rents it.

That's what I was asking for. Wanting to support the developer is a perfect reason for deciding to buy the game, but people took my comment as an insult for some reason like I was attacking them.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm paying $60 for my copy from Dick Smith, haven't paid more than $70 for a new game since I moved to Australia except for saving & getting GTAV digitally. Loads of pre-order deals.

Yeah Dick is the best place to go for pre-order games now with their $10 off deal, but for this I think I'll wait a bit until it drops in price. Have far too many games right now anyway.

Top Bottom