• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

nib95

Banned
And that too.
Issi will surely chop Galahad to pieces once she hears her brother was murdered by Galahad. And also, how comes Galahad let Lord Chancellor loose after he witnessed Galahad killing his son. Was Galahad not afraid that Lord Chancellor would spread more bullshit about him in the Order and thus make Galahad a bigger target of the Knights?

Oh absolutely, ending spoilers.
Galahad knows the Lord Chancellor will spread more shit, but he's willing to take that in order to maintain The Order's integrity and footing in the world. Think of it like Batman willing to take shit and cover up Harvey Dent's murderous rampage, for the greater good and so that the new criminal laws made in his name, are not repealled. Similarly such a massive betrayal and conspiracy in The Order by Lucan, the Knight Commander no less, not only jeopardises The Order's image well beyond Galahad's own betrayal, but also puts in to question The Lord Chancellor too, as he is Lucans father, and the very heart of the institute. Galahad realises The Order's role in the world is far too important and worth his own sacrifice.

Side note, I don't think the hooded guy is King Arthur, I feel he is the original Sir Bors. In the historical age old mythos, it is Galahad, Percival and Bors who find the Holy Grail. They are actually the most noble and qualified of the Knights, and I myself did find it weird Bors was never mentioned in any of the press as a main character. My guess is after they found the Grail, Bors was not happy with the way the institute changed, hence left to maintain control and vigilance elsewhere.

Ilive1up

how does the DLC work? i input the code, and i see the alternate costume and weapons under armory but when i restart the checkpoint it doesn't go through.

SaitoH

Took me about 7.5 hours to beat the game and another half hour to get the platinum. I think this is the quickest platinum I've ever got.

It's almost a great game, but man, do they make some poor design choices. The setting, world building, characters and visuals are all top notch, but the story ends up being such a let down; like it was missing the final act. No ability to skip cinemas, not being able to run when you want and nothing to unlock --a la RE-- really kill the replay.

I'm really glad I played through the game and despite my misgivings, I hope RAD gets a chance to make a sequel.

PS. This game really needed a challenge mode. Take a bunch of sets from the game, change the time of day, weather, enemy placement/types and let you and a co-op partner loose. Tack on a level up system --with weapon upgrades and unlocks-- and it would be a nice way to extend the game by making use of existing assets.

Ilive1up

ohh ok, i'm only on the 2nd chapter.

i'm digging it. not a fan of the walking though, way too slow. rather just be able to run all the time.

I give this game an 0I / 10. Oi !

On a serious note, an amazing weekend game. Good story, slow pace, good action. Not a billion guys to kill but enough to make encounters interesting. Some things to improve but a great first next-gen title for RAD.

I kinda agree on the "Telltale game with shooting sections" analogy. I'm done with it now (platinum trophy doesn't take any extra effort, which is great) but I cannot wait to see if RAD has more in store for us.

BTW the Lycan encounters reminded me of these sequences in Dead Space 2.

So since I finished the game I decided to redeem the preorder DLC. I randomly launched into Chapter 3 but I can only get the desert khaki suit to load. Anyone experiencing this?

Edit: I see.

hydruxo

how does the DLC work? i input the code, and i see the alternate costume and weapons under armory but when i restart the checkpoint it doesn't go through.

RaD from Facebook: "As Galahad changes outfits throughout the game, these particular outfits only modify when contextual to the story."

potam

Banned
Played with a friend last night. We got to Chapter 5, I think
the airship level

Holy fuck. Ok, the game is beautiful, and I can't wait for photomode, if I keep the game that long. But jesus. I thought all the cutscene talk was exaggerated. Maybe it will payoff in the end, but as of now...man.

EGM1966

Galahad knows the Lord Chancellor will spread more shit, but he's willing to take that in order to maintain The Order's integrity and footing in the world. Think of it like Batman willing to take shit and cover up Harvey Dent's murderous rampage, for the greater good and so that the new criminal laws made in his name, are not repealled. Similarly such a massive betrayal and conspiracy in The Order by Lucan, the Knight Commander no less, not only jeopardises The Order's image well beyond Galahad's own betrayal, but also puts in to question The Lord Chancellor too, as he is Lucans father, and the very heart of the institute. Galahad realises The Order's role in the world is far too important and worth his own sacrifice.

Side note, I don't think the hooded guy is King Arthur, I feel he is the original Sir Bors. In the historical age old mythos, it is Galahad, Percival and Bors who find the Holy Grail. They are actually the most noble and qualified of the Knights, and I myself did find it weird Bors was never mentioned in any of the press as a main character. My guess is after they found the Grail, Bors was not happy with the way the institute changed, hence left to maintain control and vigilance elsewhere.
Oh that's a good point. Forgot he was absent. Could be. Could even be
original
Galahad. Gotta surely be somene with a link to the Knights.

NHale

Just finished it at 8 hours (but I believe I only missed a couple of collectibles), so if I didn't spent that time looking after those, it would probably have finished at around 7 hours.

I enjoyed the game a lot and after all the talk (even from Ready at Dawn) I was surprised by the actual number of action cutscenes or QTE and how the ending satisfied me. It definitely sets up a sequel but at least it closed the chapter on the main theme of this game. By the way after finishing this anyone that says this QTE not a game is someone I believe haven't played the game. For all the talk, this game isn't more heavy at QTE's than most games except for one big missed opportunity
Elder boss fights

And I really hope there is a sequel because there is unfinished business regarding some characters...

However if there is a sequel I hope Ready at Dawn makes one thing: ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

Do not built this great weapons and gunplay and ignore that. This isn't InFamous where you have to reinvent the wheel to add multiplayer. This is a 3rd person shooter with great gunplay, so make some maps, create the same modes used in every shooter and give us the ability to use those great guns in a competitive environment. A hugely missed opportunity.

Of course I don't know anything about their budget or staff and any possible limitation that would make that impossible to do but if you make a sequel please make this a priority in bold letters. For me keep the campaign at the same length because it didn't bothered me one bit but add ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

Even considering this I don't have any regret buying this at full price but I wouldn't recommend it for someone that buys only a handful of games per year but I would definitely recommend it without reservations to someone that buys 20 games per year and likes Uncharted.

Overall impressions
+ Gunplay (so good that I can't wait to play ONLI....shit)
+ Weapons (thermite rifle....)
+ Setting and environment (some of the best art designs I've seen)
+ Story (I felt they told a predictable story in a very good way unlike most games. This wasn't as cutscene heavy as some YouTube watchers lead me to believe)
+ Characters and voice acting (Voice acting is top notch for every character. Galahad as a character is as likable as Nathan Drake. Lafayette is great as well in his own special way)
+ Set pieces (strangely similar to Uncharted in some regards. In fact some of those better than Uncharted set pieces. Weird that those aren't very liked nowadays.....)
+ No endless closet AI battles although one in particular looked that way at some point.
+ The graphics. Good luck Naughty Dog because you are definitely going to need it.

--- NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER
- Automatic failure at some QTE and silent takedowns (so stupid....)
- Lack of opportunities to use some of the weapons
- Forced walking/inability to climb because the script only allows it when other characters ended their script actions.
-
Elder battles. The cutscene of the first scene show hints of stealth battle with the Elder being able to smell you. However there was never a boss battle that exploited this ala The Last of Us. My guess is that focus tests never liked it and they removed it and added the silly QTE boss battles
- Lycan battles. I don't like horror but I still found it very tame and simplistic, maybe for the same reason as above.
- Soundtrack. Definitely don't see it as anything special.

Definitely glad that I was able to play it and create my own opinion based on actual gameplay. Very far from being a perfect game but definitely a ride that I enjoyed playing. In the end my main issue is that I don't have ONLINE MULTIPLAYER in this setting and with this gunplay to play.

bombshell

Oh that's a good point. Forgot he was absent. Could be. Could even be
original
Galahad. Gotta surely be somene with a link to the Knights.

Wouldn't
original Galahad needed to have died in order for current Galahad to take his name and place?

Finished the game and wrapped up getting the collectibles I missed. Overall, I'd say my feelings fall pretty closely in line with a lot of the reviews out there, and if I were to grade it, I'd probably end up in the 6/10 range.

I didn't really have any problems with the shooting; I liked the weapons, especially the science-based ones, and wish there were more opportunities to use them. Most of my complaints come from the story, and for a game that leaned so hard on this component, it really hurt the whole package. I won't dive too deep into it, since I know there's a whole other thread around the plot, but the problems that really stood out (end game spoilers):
The game doesn't do much of anything to resolve the main conflicts that drive you forward throughout the first half of the game. You would expect a fight with Lucan to be the penultimate fight of the game, leading up to the final battle against the vampire. But instead it cuts off there, feeling very anti-climactic and not bringing any resolution to stopping the major threat. I'm all for stories building bridges in advance to support a possible sequel (like the rebels and Order still existing, or further investigating the alliance between vampires and lycans) but this definitely feels like withholding content that should have been in a first installment in order to support a sequel. It robs your audience of any sense of payoff. Additionally, a lot of the character's decisions, especially surrounding some of later game plot twists, seem to lack any kind of sensible motivation.

Even with all that said, I still enjoyed a lot of the time I spent with the game, and I do hope they get an opportunity to fix a lot of the mistakes they made with a sequel.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I also think it may have been Bors. Lakshmi mentioned that he gave her blackwater but wouldn't confirm to Galahad if he was alive.

Seventy70

This game does have lots of character development issues I got to the part (spoilers)
where Perceval dies and I don't feel shit. He wasn't really developed for as much as they want you to feel sad.

After beating the game on hard they should let you play through the game with cheats unlocked like having the ability to play with any weapon. I say this because the shoulder cannon is ridiculous and I want to play the whole game.again with that weapon and a ton of ammo.

I had actually wanted write out something pretty similar to this. Thank you for saying it.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. Is there something wrong with me? It's so meticulously hand crafted, it's brimming with detail. I'm also really interested in the story, which is really rare for me. Hats off to RAD for pulling off there vision, I hope the game sells through well.

Ok, just finished.

What's the best way to do collectible cleanup? The only thing I got was inspect all newspapers, I'm still missing the ones for objects, photos, documents, etc.

Also how do you "incinerate" enemies? I kept waiting for a flamethrower weapon or something but never got one.

Loudninja

I'm really enjoying this game so far. Is there something wrong with me? It's so meticulously hand crafted, it's brimming with detail. I'm also really interested in the story, which is really rare for me. Hats off to RAD for pulling off there vision, I hope the game sells through well.
Nah a ton of people are enjoying it.

NHale

Ok, just finished.

What's the best way to do collectible cleanup? The only thing I got was inspect all newspapers, I'm still missing the ones for objects, photos, documents, etc.

Also how do you "incinerate" enemies? I kept waiting for a flamethrower weapon or something but never got one.

Thermite gun.

Marvel

could never
do you "incinerate" enemies? I kept waiting for a flamethrower weapon or something but never got one.

Thermite.

Spray 'em down good and then ignite with R1. Make sure they catch on fire and die horribly though because sometimes they don't get all of it and survive.

Dazzyman

I'm on chapter 11 now and it's kept me off mh4u. I'm really enjoying it, it reminds me of more a old style adventure game. Can see me keeping it.

Alright, sorry for all the questions, but back to collectibles - how does chapter select work?

Let's say I start from a checkpoint, and then find a collectible. If I quit back to the main menu and then pick a diff chapter, did it save the thing I just found? Or do I have to move forward to another "checkpoint" before quitting?

Oni3298

I can't imagine I missed much, I was also extremely thorough. I'm shocked I didn't get it on my first go round.

Well, you need to replay the part where
you're searching through the archives since the whole segment is on a timer and you can't inspect everything within that time

Alright, sorry for all the questions, but back to collectibles - how does chapter select work?

Let's say I start from a checkpoint, and then find a collectible. If I quit back to the main menu and then pick a diff chapter, did it save the thing I just found? Or do I have to move forward to another "checkpoint" before quitting?

As long as you have reached another checkpoint after finding said collectible, it should save.

bombshell

I can't imagine I missed much, I was also extremely thorough. I'm shocked I didn't get it on my first go round.

The archives room maybe have some of what you missed? I had to restart that because I think the cutscene just triggers after a set time and on the first go I hadn't explored the whole room in that time.

Alucrid

Banned
Well, you need to replay the part where
you're searching through the archives since the whole segment is on a timer and you can't inspect everything within that time

As long as you have reached another checkpoint after finding said collectible, it should save.

when i was getting the audio logs, i could pick one up and then quit and it would still save. ymmw on other collectibles though.

Don't understand how U2 was this major source of inspiration for the folks at RAD. I'm pretty surprised at the lack of ambition when it comes to the action beats, and considering the inspiration... where the hell were the action set pieces?

The whole game feels stuck. And I fail to see how story and characters were such a priority for the devs. What I see here is a game where the devs prioritized above all else, the presentation. Not the story, not the character development, not the connection between player and main character, not the "cinematic" gameplay... Just presentation. The visuals are the best I've ever seen, the animation is great, hell the thing looks so good that I'll go as far as saying that the "visual effects" and costume design were amazing.

But jesus christ that's about it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ooh right. I allready knew there was more to explore there but suddenly a cutscene happened.
Thanx
I'm pretty sure the ones I missed are either in there or one area where I accidentally moved forward before exploring one more hall and it instantly saved a checkpoint. Collectables are really easy in this game.

DieH@rd

Banned
And done. :) Great game.

lclycd.jpg

Hopefully sequel will be more open and with more content. Arkham Asylum hub-based structure sounds like a good match for the next game.
Galahad working alone and undercover across the city, slowly opening [bribing] his way into new areas, with Tesla building him gear that can help him traverse across new types of urban terrains. Little metroidvania can bring wonders into this kind of game, and core path can remain "cinematic heavy" as much as RAD wants it.

Top Bottom