• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona86

Banned
TLOU looks better than this. This is most certainly console footage.
I would say some things look better and some things don't.

But the fire, lighting and overall smoothness in graphics and FPS suggests it's next gen.

Yes the TLOU looks great too, but it's certainly an exception, they did an amazing job to get it to look that great in the first place, using good artstyle, textures and tricks, people wouldn't have been surprised if it had been next gen.

Maybe this metal gear game is current gen, that's if the fox engine is that great, but I don't know why you say "certainly", it looks too good for that word, and we haven't seen enough footage to really compare it to TLOU.

My brother and I noticed the crouching run by the guy in the mask (with the exposed ass, which is so Kojima) near the beginning of the trailer looked very reminiscent of MGS4... just looked like a slightly modified but reused animation from from MGS4. The music is very similar to Metal Gear Solid, too... just a bit distorted.

Persona86

Banned
If this was next gen, paint me disappointed.

Early games on new gens often don't look as good as you would expect, the good stuff comes later on, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Also we haven't seen enough footage to really judge, no daytime footage, weather effects, forest, water etc But what we have seen, especially the fire effects is amazing for "gameplay" graphics.

UrbanRats

Diminishing returns.

Early games on new gens often don't look as good as you would expect, the good stuff comes later on, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Also we haven't seen enough footage to really judge, no daytime footage etc But what we have seen, especially the fire effects is amazing for "gameplay" graphics.

Last of us shits on it without taking a sweat, frankly.
Ok diminishing returns, but come on.

Goddamit Kojima, I love stuff like this. I'm so glad we got a crazy ass guy like him in the industry... who does this shit?!

I'm excited!

Persona86

Banned
Last of us shits on it without taking a sweat, frankly.
Ok diminishing returns, but come on.

I beg to differ, but that's just my opinion. TLOU uses a lot of good tricks and textures to get the job done, the uncharted team is very experienced in getting the most out of the PS3, but what you see is the most you will possibly EVER get out of PS3.

But this game looks like "early days" of something amazing, they are using a new engine that hasn't had the time to show it's full potential, a potential that will only be possible on next gen, "unless" they are as good or even better as naughty dog at optimizing their games to work on consoles.

OK this might actually be current gen, all I'm saying is it could also be next gen, only time will tell.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Yeah FOX engine is still new and undiscovered. Might not have much flair on what's shown, there are some subtle things that look good. Next gen will likely be in favor with FOX.

Data Ghost

dh7PH.jpg

Psycho Mantis?

I could definitely go for a game that's solely devoted to Snake vs. Mantis

This is the first thing I spotted. When the camera pans down I noticed that the frame of the guy with the gun looked bulky. Then when it pans up slightly you can clearly see one of the puppets hanging there for a brief second.

EDIT: actually isn't the puppet guy Screaming Mantis not Psycho Mantis? I am rusty.

I can't be bothered reading through the whole thread but has anyone posted about the guy with bandages round his head could be the guy with the burnt face from ground zeros?

leroidys

Will we see MGSIV come to 360? Odd that they'd give 360 gamers MGSV but not IV

Oh, damn, nice theory.

Yeah, I'm wondering where my VITA related news is. That'd be pretty big if this was a VITA exclusive.

Odd like any number of franchises going to another platform. Konami has made it pretty clear that its exclusive console release days are over.

I thought so too but I am trying to think when would their paths converge and the involvement of XOF.

Yea, I'm still wondering who the main character even is. It can't be Big Boss because he still has his arm at the end of 4, can't be snake either. Could be solidus considering his whole body looks like it could be a robot.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wasn't Big Boss in a coma sometime during the series?

Yes, according to official timeline he was in coma, and during that time Patriots took his sperm/dna and created three clones. This period of time was never showcased in videogames [coma > le efantes terrible project > young clones].

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Yea, I'm still wondering who the main character even is. It can't be Big Boss because he still has his arm at the end of 4, can't be snake either. Could be solidus considering his whole body looks like it could be a robot.

Maybe an imperfect clone similar to Solidus but who grown much faster. If Solidus was created in 1972 with Ground Zeroes taking place probably a year after Peace Walker in 1974, this character in focus is probably a prototype clone that gone rogue in England

Also I tried to look at the face of the bandaged man, the open areas seem very clean and appropriate unlike the XOF's alleged leader having a fully burnt face with noticeable characteristics. The XOF leader probably has a full body burn. Maybe from this area...

EDIT!!! v

Yes, according to official timeline he was in coma, and during that time Patriots took his sperm/dna and created three clones. This period of time was never showcased in videogame [coma > le efantes terrible project > young clones].

Yo prologue tutorial chapter? But the left hand thing.

eso76

But they had to rebuild his body after solid burned him at the end of mg2...and all those nightmares, hallucinations about fire...
Maybe, this takes place after mg2 and they haven't finished rebuilding him yet

Persona86

Banned
By the way, anyone notice how it looks like they are looking for someone?

The last bit, it looks like the man with the gun pointed at "snake lookalike" starts pulling the gun away, like he's found what he's looking for.

Fox Engine is made to be scale-able, ie for this gen AND next-gen. People will fight about it forever, but I think we'll get this on PS3 in a downgraded/similar-ish form and exactly/improved for PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom