• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

I'm also sure that at least the left side of the tail is an outline of some geographical region. But I can't find anything matching on google maps.
untitledw2x1j.jpg

edit: the lower right could be part of the kojima productions logo

Salaadin

I might have to break something if this comes to Vita but not PC. Kojima wouldn't lie to me, right? ;_;

PC version would be glorious just for how good it could look but I dont see it happening. I hope they surprise me.

If the PS3 version has any Vita connectivity though, Id have to go with that one. I wonder, if Mantis is in this game, if they can do anything funky with the PS3/Vita remote play stuff. Imagine playing the game and your Vita suddenly wakes itself up and starts blabbing some shit. I dont know if such a thing is technically possible.

"Phantom pain" is a common phenomenon related to amputated or lost limbs, it's fairly common in literature but the Moby Dick connection is definitely the intended one. Good call.

(Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire spoilers)
Jamie Lannister's another one, his chapters constantly refer to the pain and itch of his "phantom" hand, which is of course as important to a knight as it is to a soldier like Big Boss.

I definitely do not think the lost limb is a hallucination; something horrible happened to Snake at some point before this trailer.

Hanmik

I'm also sure that at least the left side of the tail is an outline of some geographical region. But I can't find anything matching on google maps.
untitledw2x1j.jpg

edit: the lower right could be part of the kojima productions logo

it´s just Sweden..

ipSD7YUiGUlUd.jpg

Tom_Cody

There are a ton of walkthroughs (there was one posted on GameFAQS that really helped me) that can guide you along the way.

Building Mother Base was a hell of a lot of fun too and does help make the game get easier as it goes along.

BTW if you haven't played through Peace Walker no reason not to pick up the HD version and play through it. Its pretty fun once you learn how the supply drops work and the different ways to take down (or capture) bosses. Some people think its super grindy, but thats only if you totally ignore side missions. If you do the side stuff as they pop up its not grindy at all.
I'm going to start on the game tonight. I would definitely appreciate any non-spoiler advice that would help improve the experience.

I hate trying to play through a game while missing out on a piece of the gameplay system. I was never able to enjoy Vagrant Story back in the day because I didn't understand the weapon creation system.

How long must have Big Boss been in a coma? I mean he lost his arm and must have gone through some serious torture. The ridiculous weight loss would indicate it was a long coma; maybe months or years worth. Last I checked, your body loses weight very slowly when in coma.

I'm going to start on the game tonight. I would definitely appreciate any non-spoiler advice that would help improve the experience.

I hate trying to play through a game while missing out on a piece of the gameplay system. I was never able to enjoy Vagrant Story back in the day because I didn't understand the weapon creation system.

I guess the big thing to know is that you need to use supply drops to get ammo/medkits. You won't have enough with the amount of ammo your start out with to take down a boss. You also should be focusing on having a good research team and continually researching new weapons so that as you go on you have better weapons to take on the main bosses.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I heard (read) speculation that the "V" is for Vita

I really hope that isn't the case, because I'm not exactly liquid enough to be buying a Vita, especially with it's price of admission (mem sticks, case, screen protectors etc.)

I heard (read) speculation that the "V" is for Vita

I really hope that isn't the case, because I'm not exactly liquid enough to be buying a Vita, especially with it's price of admission (mem sticks, case, screen protectors etc.)

Think of all the bus tickets you'll have to buy so you can play it on the go.

it´s just Sweden..

Or rather Norway for the left half. The website talks about bringing people from around the Scandinavian region, which would explain why it's not solely a map of Sweden. But it's just a logo at the end of the day, it won't tell us anything.

New edit with better clarity and more time to take in fast details:

http://youtu.be/VLb6NPKWQ5g

Good job! That explains things better than I thought it would.
I would put the 'Volgin' shot just before or after you see Snake and Jack getting up from the bodies, as it looks somewhere in the same corridor, and the close up of the troops shooting before the crowd get shot at, same arched corridor again. Flying unicorn is anyone's guess, maybe have Snake looking back at it as he leaves the hospital or just before?
Only other thing is they're driving an ambulance, pretty much confirmed by an old picture of Kojima's twitter, and you can see the front of an ambulance as Snake runs out. They may have a Jeep chasing them through a tunnel and crashing like the end of MGS1, or it's from another part.

Edit: The bodies in front of the flame on the left of this pic:
http://www.mobydickstudio.se/wp-content/gallery/final-screenshots/vga_13.jpg

Are a perfect match the of the bottom left of the 'Volgin' clip.

How long must have Big Boss been in a coma? I mean he lost his arm and must have gone through some serious torture. The ridiculous weight loss would indicate it was a long coma; maybe months or years worth. Last I checked, your body loses weight very slowly when in coma.

He could have been starved in captivity for some time prior to the coma. We still don't know if it was caused by some sort of injury/accident or if it was induced intentionally.

RavenH2

Any news from Joakim Mogren? Yesterday he said that there would be some news today (or something like that, I don't quite remember)

RavenH2

[DISCLAIMER] Moby Dick Studio and our representatives do not currently operate through any social medias such as Facebook or Twitter, except for YOUTUBE.

Well in his tweets, I don't remeber if it was yersterday or the 9th, he did reference a couple of videos of short duration, 3 to 5 seconds, that came from MobyDickStudios account in youtube...

Hanmik

Well in his tweets, I don't remeber if it was yersterday or the 9th, he did reference a couple of videos of short duration, 3 to 5 seconds, that came from MobyDickStudios account in youtube...

he doesn´t have a twitter. the Pope has, but not Joakim Mogren (kojima ogre mn)

marrec

Banned

That YouTube account is not the one associated with this game.\

RavenH2

I'm swayed towards it being Paz seeing as she was an unexpected plot point in the GZ trailer.

Well, if it was Paz, it might be logical that BB is seeing the phatoms of those he killed (The Boss on top of the Flaming Horse, Volgin in flames, The Sorrow -floating- and Paz perhaps)...

He feels the Phantom Pain of his missing hand, but also of the people he killed and made him who he is..

Thanks, and I will check it later, can't do that at work. But how are you so certain? I mean, it's Kojima, he is used to messing with us... in so many was..

I'm positive. When their website has a disclaimer that they don't have any other accounts, then they don't. Too many dopplegangers out there craving attention.

Well, if it was Paz, it might be logical that BB is seeing the phatoms of those he killed (The Boss on top of the Flaming Horse, Volgin in flames, The Sorrow -floating- and Paz perhaps)...

He feels the Phantom Pain of his missing hand, but also of the people he killed and made him who he is..

Paz was found alive according to GZ trailer.
Bare footed floating person is the same as the one with the hair, I am sure. I thought we saw a bunch of old characters, but I don't think so now. Just 'Paz' and one guy with an optional magic horse. His clothes are most similar to Volgin but it could be someone else with a similar outfit.

The Sorrow vanished at the end of MGS3 right? It's been a while since I beat it. I guess he couldn't be at play here.

G'ahhh. Mantis makes the most sense here. Just seems odd to me...but I guess there's no indication of how old he is in MGS1 is there?

Edit: nvm according to wiki he was born in 1970...the small floating figure could very well be a young Mantis.

Wonder if the upcoming Famitsu article will blow the lid off this, or if it's just going to recap what we already "know."

BossLackey

Gold Member
You really believe that what you've seen in the trailer would run on the Vita?

No, not at all. However, there are so many things up in the air right now, I don't want to assume anything quite yet. Just sharing something I heard. I also read somewhere that there was some video (I was at work, didn't have time to dig further) that had the same resolution as a Vita screen. Those two things combined made me at least wonder.

BossLackey

Gold Member
G'ahhh. Mantis makes the most sense here. Just seems odd to me...but I guess there's no indication of how old he is in MGS1 is there?

Edit: nvm according to wiki he was born in 1970...the small floating figure could very well be a young Mantis.

Wonder if the upcoming Famitsu article will blow the lid off this, or if it's just going to recap what we already "know."

So what time frame are we looking at here? Is it assumed that events of The Phantom Pain trailer occur during MGS5? I wonder when that will take place.

stalker

Mind blown by the Moby Dick novel possible reference. That's one of my favourite novels but I did not think of Ahab for a single moment.

R-User!

Random speculation:

The Ground Zeroes trailer features a disfigured man who seems to lead a group that can change and disguise their equipment (like removing the logo from the helicopter) quickly and easily. What if we're looking at the true face of Decoy Octopus? And now we've also got the theories running wild about Mantis being a part of the Phantom Pain trailer...

It's been speculated that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate parts of the same game, so could we be looking at a story that revolves around the various FOXHOUND team members? Let’s take it a step further…

Remember the intro to MGS4? With the different television channels and ads for the various PMCs? What if MGSV is similar, and it’s actually a collection of five smaller games, each one telling the story of a member of FOXHOUND (with the exception of Revolver Ocelot) and playing in a different style? Ground Zeroes is the open world Metal Gear game, Phantom Pain as a sort of military horror game (something like F.E.A.R. but in the MGS style), and so on.

It’s MGSV, not MGS5. That is to say… maybe it’s not the fifth game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but a game about five stories all related to Metal Gear Solid?

...I really want that game that exists in my head now.

I like this speculation!

And maybe the "V" in MGSV might be the first letter of the subtitle for this game?

Metal Gear Solid Verisimilitude

VERISIMILITUDE: The sense that what one reads is "real," or at least realistic and believable. For instance, the reader possesses a sense of verisimilitude when reading a story in which a character cuts his finger, and the finger bleeds. If the character's cut finger had produced sparks of fire rather than blood, the story would not possess verisimilitude. Note that even fantasy novels and science fiction stories that discuss impossible events can have verisimilitude if the reader is able to read them with suspended disbelief

Sounds like Metal Gear to me!

Raiden

Banned
Well thats it, i'll buy the Metal Gear HD collection.

I am ashamed to say my is Raiden and i have not played Peace Walker yet.

Yet!

stalker

This thread is so huge ... did you guys investigate further about the RAF Akrotiri military base? (this is where the Princess Mary hospital someone was posting about yesterday is in Cyprus)

As I have said before I have no clue about what I am reading in this thread, but maybe there is something in the history of this base that rings a bell to you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Akrotiri

PSY・S;45346294 said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I brought it into Photoshop and found the hidden text! Amazing.

So meta. hahaha

New edit with better clarity and more time to take in fast details:

http://youtu.be/VLb6NPKWQ5g

Is this new? I just searched for some relation between Moby Dick and Phantom Pain

http://www.medmerits.com/index.php/article/phantom_limb_pain/P1

This shouldn't even be MGS anymore. This is just so deep it should be a standalone game.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Well thats it, i'll buy the Metal Gear HD collection.

I am ashamed to say my is Raiden and i have not played Peace Walker yet.

Yet!

Get on it mate! Peace Walker is awesome. Very different experience from the others and I think it works well.

R-User!

Hi guys, just a small contribution.

Near the Princess Mary's Hospital in Cyprus there is a Dam, with more or less the shape of a whale tail, not exactly like the Moby Dick Logo, but, its like a tail.
Reading in the wiki i found that this "kouris" dam have some "local legends" like this:

"According to local legend, the dam is home to a cryptid, the Ayia Napa sea monster. Government officials have started a search for the monster's existence in several locations on the island including Kouris Dam as well as Cape Greko (a village near the creature's namesake Ayia Napa). It has been speculated to be something like a crocodile or serpent. One citizen was so adamant he had spotted the creature that he told reporters, "I watched this serpent with my own two eyes, this was no mistake"

In peace walker Chico was really into these monsters and urban legends things.

Unfuckingbelievable observation!

It's like we're peeling back the layers of an onion!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why does nobody talks about Portable Ops? Did it have no significant story to add to the MGS canon?

1. It's a mediocre game.

2. It doesn't add much other than introducing Campbell and Grey Fox, and further establishing the rift between Big Boss and the CIA. Portable Ops is also where BB got the idea for Outer Heaven.

Salaadin

Im not sure where the rumor started saying that it isnt canon but Im almost certain that Kojima himself stated that PO was canon.

EDIT: Here

"In a podcast for Kojima Productions, Kojima stated via his translator that Portable Ops is canon, but was not a main chapter. The official website, likewise, kept Portable Ops on the Saga timeline, although only as a brief footnote. The MSX2 games were given similar treatment on the same website. In addition, the Japanese Konami site had a 25th Anniversary timeline that omitted Portable Ops, although it should be noted that in a previous timeline hosted by the Konami site, occurring around the time Peace Walker was in development, had erroneously omitted the MSX2 games from the timeline, leading to the possibility of it being an error on part of the Konami staff."

No citation so I guess we have to take that for what it is.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Portable_Ops#Stance_in_canon

I guess one way to check is to see if the MGS Enclyclopedia on PSN contains the events of PO.

2. It doesn't add much other than introducing Campbell and Grey Fox, and further establishing the rift between Big Boss and the CIA. Portable Ops is also where BB got the idea for Outer Heaven.

This I agree with. Theres a story but theres not much of it. Nothing too worthwhile, anyway.
I enjoyed the game, though. Thought it was a good first effort for portable MGS.

strobogo

Banned
I thought Peace Walker was considered MGS5 by Kojima. I swear I've read that more than once. PW might have been my favorite off the HD Collection. I'm playing MGS1 for the first time right now. I wish it had been included, because I already like it a lot more than I did MGS2 and I just found Otacon.

1. It's a mediocre game.

2 is mostly true, but I think the game is not too bad considering the controls. I'm still holding out hope that they will make it compatible with US Vitas. I still have no clue why it works for EU Vitas but not US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom