• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I'm lucky if I even get one, what's your secret?

I do as many Driving Range shots as I can. You do enough of them and some will eventually make Hole in One, plus you can kind of get a feel for how to angle the shot. Even just making a regular Driving Range shot down the center is worth a lot of points once you build the range value. You can keep relighting Driving Range by either shooting the horizontal ramp or hitting the captive ball 6? times. You can kill 2 birds with one stone by making a shot around the left orbit; this sets the ball up for a horizontal ramp shot, and often touches the captive ball on the way around.

Dloading PS3 patch 2.12 now.

Probably a leaderboard fix if it came out this quick. Getting it now myself.

Edit: Hahaha, why did I give Farsight the benefit of the doubt. Nope, the menu graphics have changed and the leaderboard bugs are still there.

There aren't any notes up anywhere...

There weren't any patch notes for 2.11 either. This is what I've figured out has changed from playing it:

- New menu
- Added season passes
- Tournament leaderboard is now broken
- Some people's friends leaderboards are now broken, including mine (no scores show up at all)
- No Good Gofers physics have changed
- No Good Gofers now has a "ball goes right through the flipper" bug

Shaneus

Is the new menu a newer one that's currently on iOS (as in, the second menu)?

Edit: Hey, this is new!
SNEAK PEEK At Upcoming iOS Version 1.2.8 Update...COMPLETE Changelog INSIDE!
What's New:
- New Table: Bally’s Centaur.
- New Table: Williams’ Pin*Bot.
- Table packs: 14 and 14 Pro.
- Season Pack One and Season Pack Two discounts (Pro versions available).
- All-Time Ranks have been added for tournaments.
- New Table of the Month: Cactus Canyon.
- New artwork for main menu buttons.
- New zones for up, left/up, and right/up touch nudging.
- New option "Touch Schemes." Users can now choose between five different touch layouts.
- New option "Show Touch Schemes." Users can turn this option on to have a visualization of where to touch the screen to perform actions while playing.
- New option "Button Position." Users can now adjust the vertical position of special buttons on the screen. Note: this option only appears on tables with special buttons.
- Option for iCade has been modified. Detection is enabled by default and changing the setting does not require the user to restart the application. Users can now choose between iPad (iCade mapping), iPod/iPhone (iCade Mobile mapping), and Off.

Table Updates:
- Centaur (v2)
- Pinbot (v2)
- Shuttle (v5)

What's Fixed:
- Settings were not saving when leaving options and table options menus.
- Dead zone for launcher button in Star Trek: The Next Generation was where the button used to be in 1.2.6.
- Pausing while playing Star Trek: The Next Generation would cause the launcher button to pulse even when it wasn't available.
- An onscreen keyboard would appear when the iCade option was enabled and no bluetooth keyboard was connected.
- There were no arrows on some menus in portrait where they were needed.
- Space Shuttle's backbox display was upside down for player 1.
- Fliers were not properly sized on iPhone/iPod 5 in landscape.
Table update to Centaur. No shit. But the button/touch zone configs is a godsend. Have to wonder why they never did that earlier, but it's a good surprise. Next time I see my brother, if he's updated I'm switching his flippers around ;) I'm digging this new programmer, whoever he is. Seems like they needed him.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I know I said that my last standard goal completion list was #18, but I miscounted somewhere. I'm now officially up to #18, with Black Knight my latest. Getting multiball and building up my bonus helped me break 1M and complete that goal.

eggwolio

So, if I got TPA free through PS+ and then shell out forty buckdollars for all of the tables, and then my PS+ expires, do I then need to shell out ten more for the base pack in order to keep using the tables I paid for?

ascii42

So, if I got TPA free through PS+ and then shell out forty buckdollars for all of the tables, and then my PS+ expires, do I then need to shell out ten more for the base pack in order to keep using the tables I paid for?

Good question. To get the quickest answer, I'd probably head over to www.pinballarcadefans.com, register and ask in the PS3 section. I'd like to know that myself.

Yes, you'll have to buy the game. When you download a PS+ game, the notice that pops up says exactly that.

Shaneus

Yes, you'll have to buy the game. When you download a PS+ game, the notice that pops up says exactly that.
Makes sense. The same question has probably popped up numerous times in relation to other games if one has bought any kind of DLC and not the game itself.

Vyse24

Since I haven't gotten any results from the search option here, I thought I would let you guys know that the bankruptcy case for Fillpoint, the old publishers of the game, is 12-12129 at New York Northern Bankruptcy Court: http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/fillpoint-llc

Recently, Fillpoint was back in court to show cause for failure to prosecute: http://www.nynb.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/Calendar/a-wednesday.pdf (last case on the document)

Not sure if it means that we may have a breakthrough soon though. Just a heads up.

joeblow

No need to register at another forum. There are plenty of PS3 / Vita players here who can help.

For those that don't know he is asking because an awesome deal on the Playstation network this month offers unlimited access to The Pinball Arcade and its four tables for free to PS+ members. DLC tables are also being sold at a discount right now. A terrific deal.

Back to the question, as a PS+ member, ANYTHING. that you buy that has a PS+ discount is yours to keep forever. It stays permanately on your PSN download list so even if you get a new PS3 or Vita, you can dload it for free. Also, in case you didn't know, one purchase gives you access to the PS3 and Vita version.

If your PS+ sub expires, you will lose access to the base game, but the DLC purchased remains yours. If you sign back up to PS+ later, you regain access to all the content you had before including TPA. Otherwise, you'll have to purchase the base game to use your DLC.

joeblow

Sorry buddy, the decision makers for the PS+ specials each month are completely different in each region. North America, Europe and Asia all do their own thing. You will have to wait just before each month to find out what will be offered for no extra charge to their respective PS+ members.

Shaneus

I love the smell of an iOS Pinball Arcade update in the morning.

It doesn't look like they've updated the icon :lol But at least with those other updates (you saw the list) it doesn't matter.

Minsc

Gold Member
Figures, updated and bought the new tables on my iPhone 5, now every single table in the app (new or old) seems to hard crash the app upon launching the table, happened to me on four different tables in a row. :(

I can only assume they have no iPhone 5s in their company or in their beta testing, because otherwise it makes no sense a 100% occurring hard crash upon starting a game would have made it through. Hopefully there's a quick fix in the works or already discovered.

Shaneus

Oh, this is fucking ridiculous. They're offering "season one" and "season two" table packs. AND WHAT THE FUCK. Season two (that they've just announced) includes table packs 11-20. I WISH I HAD KNOWN THERE WERE TO BE "SEASONS" WHEN I BOUGHT THOSE ON RELEASE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

So now I don't get the value from BOTH season packs. How fucking frustrating. Hope this has blown up on PAF already. If I'd known these packs were to exist, I would have held off... but as it is now, I don't know if I'll get *any* saving because I've already bought 11-13.

FUCK.

When Farsight was contacted about friends leaderboards being broken in the 2.11 PS3 update, with video evidence of the glitch, they responded that it was impossible for the new update to cause such a thing because it only updated the main menu graphics.

Never mind that the update changed the No Good Gofers physics, added a glitch in Gofers where balls go through the flipper, broke the tournament leaderboards, and broke friends leaderboards for hundreds of people.

Minsc

Gold Member
When Farsight was contacted about friends leaderboards being broken in the 2.11 PS3 update, with video evidence of the glitch, they responded that it was impossible for the new update to cause such a thing because it only updated the main menu graphics.

Never mind that the update changed the No Good Gofers physics, added a glitch in Gofers where balls go through the flipper, broke the tournament leaderboards, and broke friends leaderboards for hundreds of people.

They also said for quite a long time the lag on the PS3 was not in the coding, but then improved it. They sure don't have what one could consider a good track record with things related to bugs (unless you count releasing them).

Anyway, here are the new banners for table pack 14, added to the OP (image galleries are a little barren currently due to the game not running for me):

KLZxZPG.jpg

0oH3whs.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
May newsletter highlights:

PS4: We are honored to be included as part of Sony's booth at E3 this year. We will be showing an enhanced version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table on PS4. With next gen real-time lighting and reflections, the Pinball Arcade is going to look amazing! Please come by and check us out if you're in town for the big show.

360: We continue to work with the bankruptcy court and Microsoft to determine the best course of action for the Pinball Arcade and our customers. We are getting closer to a solution.
Once the Xbox situation is rectified, we will be offering discount packs to get you all of the great tables we've released over these past several months.
We realize that this has been a long, frustrating process and appreciate your patience.
Thank you for your continuing support!

Table Hint: After being told that he was going to be Table of the Month, the normally cool Dr. Dude spun out the front door to the local tavern. Can you guess which two tables will be in Table Pack 15? (image)

And that's it. No Wii U, PC, or any other unreleased platforms updates. Maybe next month!

Edit: Popular guesses for next month's tables from PAF seem to be Champion Pub + Whirlwind.

ascii42

May newsletter highlights:

And that's it. No Wii U, PC, or any other unreleased platforms updates. Maybe next month!

Edit: Popular guesses for next month's tables from PAF seem to be Champion Pub + Whirlwind.

Interesting. I am curious to see the PS4 version.

joeblow

Sorry man, I should have been more specific.

The first 18 tables are bundled together as 'Season 1' for a discounted $30. That discount is for anyone. So if a PS+ member gets the main game with its first four tables for free and buys Season 1, that's $30 for 22 tables and they all work on a PS3 or a Vita.

Shaneus

The first 18 tables are bundled together as 'Season 1' for a discounted $30. That discount is for anyone. So if a PS+ member gets the main game with its first four tables for free and buys Season 1, that's $30 for 22 tables and they all work on a PS3 or a Vita.
Wait... so as a PSN+ guy, the four tables I'd lose if I dropped plus I'd get to keep because they're a part of the pack?

Parallax, how's the PS3 version feeling compared to the 360? If I was to, say, change it to 720p would it be comparable?

Ocaso

Ah, I see what you mean. That's a good deal, but I'm still disappointed they didn't actually go for PS+ specific discounts on the individual table packs or on Season 1.

Wait... so as a PSN+ guy, the four tables I'd lose if I dropped plus I'd get to keep because they're a part of the pack?

Parallax, how's the PS3 version feeling compared to the 360? If I was to, say, change it to 720p would it be comparable?

I don't think the four default tables are part of the Season 1 pack, so I think you'll lose them if your subscription expires. I also think you'd lose access to all of the DLC as well, as having the base tables is a requirement, or at least it used to be.

joeblow

If you dloaded your base TPA game for free as a PS+ member, which comes with four tables, you lose access to the entire game and those four tables if your membership ever ends. If you re-subscribe, all your PS+ dloads are available again, including TPA. Even your old saves are accessible through the cloud feature of PS+.

If you bought any DLC tables, whether as a PS+ discount or full price, they are yours forever. You can only access the DLC if you have the main game either for free through PS+, or if you choose to buy it separately it is yours forever.

PS3 version is awful compared to 360, but I play on 720p and put up with it.

Edit: I also use a 360 controller with an adapter to get around the PS3 version's shitty two-stage flipper controls.

Shaneus

Cheers for that PS. Will give it a miss on PS3 then. PC version is close(ish) enough that it's hardly worth getting started on another platform.

I was reading about some random tables on IPDB.org, and came across this gem for Space Invaders:
The lowest scoring switches on the playfield award 50 points or 100 points, making the player's final score always ending in 00 or 50. However, the match number still chooses from 00 to 90.
Hahaha, shifty fucks.

Shaneus

I guess "awful" is an exagerration, but it's no 360 version.
It's enough!

On a side note, man I'm loving the hell out of Centaur on my iPad. The table feels like it plays too fast, but despite that I'm still loving the layout of the table. I don't know how the hell they did it, but IMO there's the perfect amount of flowing shots, direct targets and unique/gimmicky-type stuff (like the little bumpers at the bottom of the outlanes that kicl your ball back in if it's going fast enough/on the right angle) to keep me on my toes without ever feeling like I've been cheated by an unlucky stray ball. The use of that extra sound board for the echo is used to perfection, too.

The whole table genuinely unnerves me just a little bit, to be honest. Great combination of theme, artwork and sound.

Edit: Cool little video I stumbled across, about the discovery of a forgotten arcade on a dry-docked ship that had a few pinball machines in it. The latter half of the video is just gameplay, but the first five minutes or so are definitely worth watching, IMO.

Vyse24

reposting PiN WiZs post on PAF:

UPDATE Bobby King Confirms Upcoming Terminator 2 : Judgment Day Kickstarter In Geekenstein's "In The Lab With Farsight's Bobby King"!

Geekenstein recently launched their audio interview series "In The Lab" where non other than FarSight's own Bobby King was one of the first guests to be featured in the series. Topics range from how FarSight refined their physics engine over the years up to their recent preparation for their next Kickstarter project which will feature Terminator 2 : Judgment Day. You can check out the interview in its entirety HERE.
-----------------------
Nice to see T2 finally being confirmed. Now just need the confirmation for Simpsons Pinball Party.

Shaneus

Nice to see T2 finally being confirmed. Now just need the confirmation for Simpsons Pinball Party.
Don't reckon you'll see it. I'd love to see it personally, but can only imagine that the licensing would be a bitch.

From what I read, licensing for T2 is *really* touchy as well, and it seems that if FS didn't get a KS up soon then the window for it to be available would close quite quickly. Can't believe some people on PAF are saying they're not interested :/ (though after the problems people have had with claiming rewards, I can't say I'm surprised)

Thanks for posting that, though! Glad we finally have some official confirmation :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Last night had a friend over and we were playing 2 player PA, going from table to table.

I recall doing something like that before, and when we played more than one round on the same table, the 2-player setting would stick. So if you started one round with 2 players, the same would be true every subsequent round on that same table.

But that wasn't true last night. We'd finish up and have to go to table setup before each round to turn it back to 2-player. Frustrating. :p

I guess "awful" is an exagerration, but it's no 360 version.

I guess I will wait or so, I was tire of waiting and was going to get this on PS3 since I pick up Android tablet thinking that would do but guess what this game doesn't work WTF. I knew I should have gone with iPad.

So I haven't been following what is the deal with Xbox version, why is it in a limbo?

Vyse24

So I haven't been following what is the deal with Xbox version, why is it in a limbo?

The original publisher Fillpoint filed for bankruptcy last August. And while Sony/Nintendo/Valve allow self-published indie games, Microsoft doesn't. While they have found a new publisher back in December, they have to wait until the bankruptcy court approves the transfer to do anything first.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #19 (Black Hole) complete. I'm 4/5 standard goals on the other two core pack tables- I need Harem Multiball in Arabian Nights and a skill shot in Believe It Or Not. Any help on the latter would be grateful, btw.

Shaneus

The original publisher Fillpoint filed for bankruptcy last August. And while Sony/Nintendo/Valve allow self-published indie games, Microsoft doesn't. While they have found a new publisher back in December, they have to wait until the bankruptcy court approves the transfer to do anything first.
Bang on. I just had seeing everyone bitch and moan and complain on Facebook (less so on PAF) about it, only because they're uninformed. Despite the email updates that actually mention the status.

Good thing is though, I suppose, is that all the bugs should be ironed out and ready to go... especially given the 360 is the lead platform for all other versions. Pains me to see how damn good that version plays and looks, but there's less than half (I think) the amount of tables. Damnit, I just want a big-screen version of Taxi :(

I got to play a bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon (Stern) over the weekend. It's probably the best Stern table I've had a chance to play. I wasn't surprised to find out it was a Pat Lawlor either. Solid theming with some fun toys and an excellent ramp that loops under the flippers.

Still nowhere near Bally/Midway's best, but I was happy to spend some time with it.

Shaneus

I got to play a bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon (Stern) over the weekend. It's probably the best Stern table I've had a chance to play. I wasn't surprised to find out it was a Pat Lawlor either. Solid theming with some fun toys and an excellent ramp that loops under the flippers.

Still nowhere near Bally/Midway's best, but I was happy to spend some time with it.
Have you played AC/DC? By far my favourite Stern one. I don't actually mind X-Men either, but I ran into too many problems that didn't feel like they were unique to that machine (as in, they were design/quality issues and not from wear, given that it seemed to be a brand-new machine).

I think you prefer Lawlor tables anyway though, right?

Oh, I played Transformers last week, too. Man, this is a full-size table but the whole thing just feels like one of those mini plastic kids pinball toys. Literally... it just came off as cheap and basic and even though I played with a free credit (still the best thing ever, parents taking their kids for parties at the arcade and leaving stacks of credits on pinnies) I still wanted a refund.

Vyse24

Standard goal set #19 (Black Hole) complete. I'm 4/5 standard goals on the other two core pack tables- I need Harem Multiball in Arabian Nights and a skill shot in Believe It Or Not. Any help on the latter would be grateful, btw.
The skill shot is just a matter of not going full power with the plunger. I'd say set the plunger somewhere between half-way and 3/4s of the way and launch. You'll get a skill shot eventually.

Ocaso

I guess I will wait or so, I was tire of waiting and was going to get this on PS3 since I pick up Android tablet thinking that would do but guess what this game doesn't work WTF. I knew I should have gone with iPad.

You know, the PS3 version is free on Playstation Plus right now, so you could give it a try while subscribing to the best deal in gaming. There's no doubt the Xbox version is more responsive, but unless you're really sensitive to the issue I wouldn't discount the PS3. The demo should give you an idea anyway.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The skill shot is just a matter of not going full power with the plunger. I'd say set the plunger somewhere between half-way and 3/4s of the way and launch. You'll get a skill shot eventually.

I try that, but I can't seem to get enough power. The ball just stops and falls before I can get to the target.

Oh well, it's worth another shot.

Have you played AC/DC? By far my favourite Stern one. I don't actually mind X-Men either, but I ran into too many problems that didn't feel like they were unique to that machine (as in, they were design/quality issues and not from wear, given that it seemed to be a brand-new machine).

I think you prefer Lawlor tables anyway though, right?

Oh, I played Transformers last week, too. Man, this is a full-size table but the whole thing just feels like one of those mini plastic kids pinball toys. Literally... it just came off as cheap and basic and even though I played with a free credit (still the best thing ever, parents taking their kids for parties at the arcade and leaving stacks of credits on pinnies) I still wanted a refund.
I haven't played ACDC, no. And yeah, I'm a Pat Lawlor guy.

Someone quickly explain to me how Frenzy works in Funhouse. I seem to get Super Frenzy easily enough but regular Frenzy escapes me and it's the last standard goal I need on that table.

I'm terrible at skillshots but somehow I managed this one.
I've done every in game objective but it angers me that Super Frenzy doesn't count for the Frenzy standard goal.

Someone quickly explain to me how Frenzy works in Funhouse. I seem to get Super Frenzy easily enough but regular Frenzy escapes me and it's the last standard goal I need on that table.

I'm having trouble on that, too, on Funhouse, and the skill shot.

Funhouse's skill shot needs a medium-strength shot. Try to get the ball to go a little bit past Rudy's head, and do several light nudges to the left when it passes Rudy to help slow the ball down so it goes into the back of his head.

I forget how you get Frenzy since I don't go for that when I play Funhouse. The table's Instructions menu should say how you get it though.

Edit: Looks like Frenzy is one of the prizes from the left plunger.

Top Bottom