• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

fvng

Does the patch remove the email client or just patch the exploit

Unlike the Vita, the PSTV can only use Wi-Fi transfer in conjuction with the Content Assistant. Not sure about Ethernet, or if that's even possible.

Uh no. This is absolutely wrong. Where did you even come up with this? Of course the PSTV can use Ethernet for content assistant.

Nobody bought the PSTV. Sony never promoted it. Sony doesn't support it. But when there's a hack that makes it slightly more useful and fun, they swoop in to stop it. Why? To stop piracy? So they dedicate resources to stop piracy on a device few people own instead of supporting it? If they had put half of their anti-hacking efforts into support, we'd have a Netflix app on the device.

His point was removing the white list generated more software sales which it did. the entire appeal of the hack is increasing the amount of options you have as a customer

amyza

Neo Member
Okay, I just updated my Vita to 3.55, then tried to use the same memory card on my PS TV. Sadly it does not work, but VitaUpdateBlocker is still working. Simply follow the instructions here, I was able to download Ys from the store and play it with this trick. The only problem was that the download speed was kind of slow, might have been my connection though.

Does the patch remove the email client or just patch the exploit

Uh no. This is absolutely wrong. Where did you even come up with this? Of course the PSTV can use Ethernet for content assistant.

1: It patches the eml writer exploit in the email client, but exploits used in 3.52 such as the whitelisting exploit are still retained.

2: I didn't know this.

Lucifon

I haven't updated yet, but tried loading the 'hacked' whitelist files and usually blocked games still won't work. Any ideas? Worked fine first time I tried, but now after downloading Mega Drive Collection the whitelist reset and doesn't seem to want to go back.

Pillville

I setup my new PSTV yesterday doing this:
- Boot PS TV, enter PSN details, DID NOT UPDATE
- Perform the email hack
- Block white list URLs from router at home
- Installed the update

after the update, the hack is gone and I can only run approved games/apps.
crap....

WarpathDC

- Perform the email hack
- Installed the update

crap....

You killed all your work by updating the fw at the end I believe,the point of those steps is to get it to run on the old FW if I'm reading it correctly.

- Perform the email hack
- Installed the update

crap....

Did you double check that the router's URL filter worked by using a test address?

Pillville

Did you double check that the router's URL filter worked by using a test address?

Yes. I tested with google.com, and got the netgear blocked message
(Stock photo)
blockedSite.gif

I messed something up.

Pillville

You killed all your work by updating the fw at the end I believe,the point of those steps is to get it to run on the old FW if I'm reading it correctly.

If you do the email hack and block URLs before updating you're supposed to be fine.
The new firmware is required if you want to use Remote Play.

I value Remote Play over the couple of games/apps that were blocked, so I risked updating. oh well.

Ramune

Likewise, re-did the hack (as I guess the whitelist updated since the last time), blocked the sites, tested MGS:pW and Ys:MoC, confirmed working, then updated....no profit

The possibility is they might have changed the whitelist url already....

A someone that hasnt updated the FW or done the hack, would I be safe:

Doing the hack, updating firmware and then never download anything from the PSN store on the PS TV, instead just getting games to a Memory Card from a Vita??? or does the Whitelist get updated when launching games aswell?

Xiul

A someone that hasnt updated the FW or done the hack, would I be safe:

Doing the hack, updating firmware and then never download anything from the PSN store on the PS TV, instead just getting games to a Memory Card from a Vita??? or does the Whitelist get updated when launching games aswell?

I just did this my self and it's still working, I have no problems changing the card from my vita to the updated PsTV. (Tested Celceta and Castlevania Drac X)

I find it amusing how many people are stressing so much about saving $30 and trying to get the PSTV updated to the latest firmware while retaining the whitelist exploit. Just spend the extra $30.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. I tested with google.com, and got the netgear blocked message
(Stock photo)
blockedSite.gif

I messed something up.

You can test it by going to the url you're trying to block.

vitacl.ww.dl.playstation.net and vitacl.xx.dl.playstation.net says something like "file not found" if it's not blocked and "webpage is not availible" if it is properly blocked.

You also need to make sure it's blocked for all devices, and not just your computer, if that's an option your router uses. I had to block it for ips 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.254 which is all the ips that could possibly be assigned to machines attached to the network.

It's also very possible to mess up the email hack because for some reason it doesn't work very well if you're not using a gmail account.

qrayg

Neo Member
If they just relaxed and let the community start to modify it, then things might be different.

I think this has less to do with Sony and more to do with software developers. What Publisher in their right mind would want to put out a game on a platform that does nothing to stop people from stealing their game?

They have to do something to protect the software devs.

Instead of getting all huffy over Sony, maybe we should focus on the software devs that REFUSE to do the SIMPLE patch to make their game PSTV compatible. There is absolutely NO excuse why Ys, for example, has not been patched in NA. Paying a dev for a days worth of work to do the patch is nothing compared to the ROI.

I still do not understand why some PSP games are playable on the Vita but not on the PSTV. I'm sure it has something to do with multi-platform released games like the SEGA Collection. SEGA wants you to buy the PSP version and the PS3 version... if the PSTV played the PSP version then people would only have to buy one copy. BS like that makes me WANT to pirate games.

vongruetz

Banned
What Publisher in their right mind would want to put out a game on a platform that does nothing to stop people from stealing their game?

And yet Windows and Android remain two of the most successful operating systems in the world despite HEAVY amounts of piracy on both platforms. This however is not about piracy, but about allowing consumers the option to play the games they legally purchased on a console that is perfectly capable of doing so.

The other sad part about the firmware update is that it now keeps Netflix from being available on the PSTV since it requires you to be logged into PSN (which requires you to update).

Dunkley

vitacl.ww.dl.playstation.net and vitacl.xx.dl.playstation.net says something like "file not found" if it's not blocked and "webpage is not availible" if it is properly blocked.

You also need to make sure it's blocked for all devices, and not just your computer, if that's an option your router uses. I had to block it for ips 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.254 which is all the ips that could possibly be assigned to machines attached to the network.

It's also very possible to mess up the email hack because for some reason it doesn't work very well if you're not using a gmail account.

Yeah, I guess if you wanna check the URL Filter, you might as well can just pretend to be a Vita and try to fetch either a Vita launch list or PSP/PS1 emu launch list.

If both of these give you nothing instead of an encrypted file, you're good.

My router sets the URLs to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) so I actually get my default web server page when I go to them.

I haven't updated yet, but tried loading the 'hacked' whitelist files and usually blocked games still won't work. Any ideas? Worked fine first time I tried, but now after downloading Mega Drive Collection the whitelist reset and doesn't seem to want to go back.

I had this same issue - but I'm glad I at least got some use out of this before it ended.

amyza

Neo Member
Delete your email account, reboot, add email account again. Then the hack should work again if you are still on 3.52. The white list etc is reset if you download and install a game from the store, even with the update blocker. Simply redo all the steps as usual.

Delete your email account, reboot, add email account again. Then the hack should work again if you are still on 3.52. The white list etc is reset if you download and install a game from the store, even with the update blocker. Simply redo all the steps as usual.

Sounds good - I'll give that a shot.

Edit - works like a charm! Thanks!

I just bought a PS TV from Amazon due to the idea of playing YS on a big screen

I did the hack but couldn't play certain games due to them not being activated when I went to sign in and activate it asked me to update so I updated to 3.55 because I had no idea it was the latest update/kills the hack games worked at the time

I tuned off the ps tv and turned it on this morning and yup 3.55 killed it :(

Ah well I'm an idiot :(

Dambrosi

Banned
I just bought a PS TV from Amazon due to the idea of playing YS on a big screen

I did the hack but couldn't play certain games due to them not being activated when I went to sign in and activate it asked me to update so I updated to 3.55 because I had no idea it was the latest update/kills the hack games worked at the time

I tuned off the ps tv and turned it on this morning and yup 3.55 killed it :(

Ah well I'm an idiot :(
There was your problem. Should have put it in standby.

As for me, I got my Vita TV today in the post, it was on 3.50, so I did the automatic email hack (the wololo one). First time I did it, I forgot to enter my PSN details during initial setup, and it wouldn't recognise my memory card, so I reset the box and did the whole thing again from the beginning. So, I did all the initial setup, set up the mail client with my preferred email account, did the wololo thing, opened the emailed images and quit out of the email client as instructed, and only then did I update the box to 3.55.

Lo and behold, everything worked, and I now have a hacked Vita TV that can run most of what it rightly should. I tested the hack with Gravity Rush, Dracula X Chronicles and Gaia Seed, all of which worked without any issues. Then I put the box in standby, and I'm about to test the hack again.

Edit: Well, something went wrong. Apparently, I had some kind of power fault, so the box turned off fully somehow. This effed the hack, and now none of the blacklisted games work. Fuck this for a game of soldiers. I'll just wait for the next hack to come out.

Dunkley

Edit: Well, something went wrong. Apparently, I had some kind of power fault, so the box turned off fully somehow. This effed the hack, and now none of the blacklisted games work. Fuck this for a game of soldiers. I'll just wait for the next hack to come out.

Did you block the adresses listed?

It seems the Vita has very weird intervals on where it updates the whitelists by itself, so considering they are updated seperately given steescribbles' findings, the occasion can happen that you can update to 3.55 with the hack intact, but as soon as the Vita checks for any game updates or any other action where it fetches the latest whitelists, you're screwed.

Did the hack last night on my 3.52 PSTV. Had some problems at first because it just wouldn't work with my ISP's email account. I had to switch to using my Gmail account and created an app password for the PSTV. The hack worked perfectly then. I'm able to play Drac X Chonicles, Gradius Collection, etc. I promptly disconnected the PSTV from the Internet and will likely never put it online again unless I have to for some reason. There aren't any games coming I have to play on that platform. My assumption is that I can always move my card back to the Vita if I need to download something and then move it back to the PSTV but even if that doesn't work I'm fine with keeping it as-is.

Az987

all good things
Did the hack last night on my 3.52 PSTV. Had some problems at first because it just wouldn't work with my ISP's email account. I had to switch to using my Gmail account and created an app password for the PSTV. The hack worked perfectly then. I'm able to play Drac X Chonicles, Gradius Collection, etc. I promptly disconnected the PSTV from the Internet and will likely never put it online again unless I have to for some reason. There aren't any games coming I have to play on that platform. My assumption is that I can always move my card back to the Vita if I need to download something and then move it back to the PSTV but even if that doesn't work I'm fine with keeping it as-is.

No, you can't. If you download games on a Vita that had up to date firmware when you out it in your 3.52 PSTV you'll immediately be told to update or reformat the memory card if you want to do it. It'll tell you to update if you try to transfer between a PS3 and the PSTV as well.

I never bought Dracula X Chronicles so I was hoping I could do it like that but nope.

No, you can't. If you download games on a Vita that had up to date firmware when you out it in your 3.52 PSTV you'll immediately be told to update or reformat the memory card if you want to do it. It'll tell you to update if you try to transfer between a PS3 and the PSTV as well.

I never bought Dracula X Chronicles so I was hoping I could do it like that but nope.
Wow so you have to setup you're memory card with everything you want and never change it again? Hack is getting less useful.

No, you can't. If you download games on a Vita that had up to date firmware when you out it in your 3.52 PSTV you'll immediately be told to update or reformat the memory card if you want to do it.

Well, that sucks but like I said, I'd rather play Drac X with a decent controller than ever download anything else. It's the only "keeper" game on Vita/PSTV for me.

One thing though: Last night when I turned on my PSTV I noticed that a game I had queued up via the PSN web store started downloading and installed successfully even though I was still on 3.52. Is that a potential workaround for this?

The thing that bothers me most about this is that they changed from a seemingly approachable company that showed how simple it was to lend a game to a friend to a company that fights consumers trying to play their games and is unresponsive to ongoing complaints about their UI.

In those days Sony tailored their message specifically to fight MS but they're back in charge now so it's business as usual. The whole "For the players" thing is mostly marketing. Never forget that MS, Nintendo, and Sony are giant businesses with profit as their driving motive.

MikeyB

The thing that bothers me most about this is that they changed from a seemingly approachable company that showed how simple it was to lend a game to a friend to a company that fights consumers trying to play their games and is unresponsive to ongoing complaints about their UI.

Yesterday I dumped the app.db and added SQL triggers to the app.db to alter the whitelist. I updated to 3.55 and can still play everything just fine. The big problem I'm having, though, is that it can't seem to install any patches or DLC to games. All I get is "waiting to install" on each item. I'm inclined to believe this is related to messing with the app.db file, but I'm not sure, yet.

Has anyone else had similar trouble? Specifically, I bought P4D after the update and it will not patch itself to 1.01 or install any of the free DLC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, guess that might be it for the hack for me. I want to stay up to date.

I can wait for now though since I have two PSTVs. Will keep one on 3.52 and see what happens.

webkatt

So if I'm sharing a memory card between my vita/pstv I'm basically screwed right?

No updates in either or exploit gone?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You can stay up-to-date with games etc., as long as you are using the UpdateBlocker whenever you connect to the store, just do the hack afterwards again.

I use the same memory card on a Vita and PSTV. That's the problem for me right now.

I'm not going to update the PSTV I have that's on 3.52 because I have another PSTV already though.

I'm a little behind on this thread and am trying to catch up. What's the status of this now?

I have a 3.2 PSTV and have gotten the hack to work (tried Uncharted), but every time I turn it off, I have to reapply the hack to get it working again. Is this normal?

Additionally, what's happening with the PSX/PSP games? Can I use an iso of a PSX game I backed up and make an eboot (like the PSP) or do only PSN bought games work?

Thanks in advance!

Odrion

Banned

marketing. even then they were trying to con you with a online paywall, hardware that had poor build quality, and knack.

only difference now is that they know it worked.

Subaru

I've bought a PSTV but he doesn't recognize my memory cards.
I mean it, he identify my account but the e-mail app says that I don't have a Memory Card (and in Content Manager this happens too).

I guess the memory card only works if I connect my account online, but I can't do this because I will have to update =/

I've bought a PSTV but he doesn't recognize my memory cards.
I mean it, he identify my account but the e-mail app says that I don't have a Memory Card (and in Content Manager this happens too).

I guess the memory card only works if I connect my account online, but I can't do this because I will have to update =/
You can block updates with a util on the pc.

amyza

Neo Member
I've use this but the e-mail trick still doesn't work... I guess I need to sign up at least on time my PSN ID... =/
Signing in doesn't mean updating the FW, as long as you keep connecting to the store with the UpdateBlocker running you should be fine.

Subaru

Signing in doesn't mean updating the FW, as long as you keep connecting to the store with the UpdateBlocker running you should be fine.

Even with the update blocker working when I try to go to the store it asks to me connect to PSN and then it asks to update...

Subaru

Are you sure it's working? I tried this a couple days ago and had no trouble getting to the store.

Well it appears on my PC that it was connected and that I could turn off the proxy, so I guess it is working, right?

Have you tried to login through the settings?

Yes and ask me to update my PSTV.
I can add my login but can't sing in - ok, it should be like that, right?
But the Store always asks me to update

aYVsohS.png

Top Bottom