• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 media player was updated last night

kyser73

What are y'all doing with your setups?

ExFAT formatted USB drive, folder called PS4 and it plays everything I've thrown at it, including MKVs.

Subs I've had more issues with, especially when they're in a .srt file, but other than that it's been brilliant.

No complaints about disc playback either. Haven't really bothers with the media player option as USB works perfectly,

SpecX

giphy.gif
Lmao, this literally made me bust up laughing.

If you have troubles with playing files via DLNA, you might want to check if the server profile is for PS4. At least with Serviio, if I leave it on the PS3 profile it would ignore all the mkvs etc. because it knows a PS3 can't play them (or it will use transcoding if you have that active).
The other thing is that people often don't know that mkv, mp4 etc are just container formats. It still depends which codecs are actually used and if the PS4 supports them (e.g. H.265 doesn't seem to work yet = that mkv won't work).

There are only very, VERY few odd files that don't play in my setup. That was way worse on PS3 even when the codecs should work on paper.

Update is kinda meh feature-wise, the player itself is still very barebones compared to the PS3 one. Mainly, I want the volume option.

I don't think much changed for subtitles, I already had them working in mkv and mp4 before (again, check your server settings to enable embed subtitles via DLNA, then adjust the PS4 settings). It seems the only difference is that the PS4 now auto-directs you to the actual system settings for closed captions. Before, you needed to know that those exist or the subtitle toggle in the player wouldn't do anything of course.
I have some odd files in which subtitles didn't work (probably only certain formats are supported by the PS4) before the update and they still don't, so...

-----

HOWEVER, the megaton for me is that this update fixed the bug that would lead to movies with certain codec/container combinations getting massively out of sync near the end. That was very frustrating as the files would run fine on PS3.

Not a chance. The decoder is horrible. I loaded up my Down by Law (Criterion) DVD on the PS4 and its gorgeous black & white visuals are a smeary, washed-out mess. It looks like the quality you'd see from a $50 DVD player. They have a ton of work to do to get back to the PS3 player's image quality (which is admittedly better than it should be for a console).

I'm really talking specifically about the media server. I have no problems at damn near anything I throw at it.

It had a ridiculously low success rate at actually playing video files last time I checked. Booted it up on my laptop, worked fine, stuck in my USB... nope.

The day it released, it was pretty bad, but it is much better now(even before this update).

Is the Display Mode related to aspect ratio? Because I've got a couple of videos that played horribly stretched, had to adjust my TV settings to fix it.
PS3 media player always had settings for this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hopefully it works better now. Often have to fall back on plex web via the browser to stream certain videos from my laptop.

n0razi

I hope it supports more codecs. It's still pretty hit and miss with my MKVs. Some work some don't.

I think its cause it doesnt have a software mode... on my android phone I use BSplayer and it will try hardware mode first and then switch to software if it isnt supported (like 10-bit H264)

Also, does anyone else use PS4 Media Player over remote play to watch videos on their Vita or am I the only one lol./

anyone have a list of supported formats for this player?

VLC on my computer plays everything I own but this doesn't play a bunch of files I have on my network.

I just realized I was running everything through a media center which is probably transcoding on the fly. Couldn't figure out why I was so lucky with its ability to work consistently.

Only issue I've had is twice upon boot it goes to a USB mode instead of searching my network.

My Sony Bravia TV plays back videos better than the PS3 and PS4. People with Smart TVs and blu-ray players should look into using those. I find dedicated streaming devices less necessary these days.

B_Boss

I can't believe after the newsworthy outcry about the lack of simple features so many were used to from the USB player, that sony has not allowed the media player to play on top of games/apps without the games needing to be suspended, or, essentially, do everything that the USB player could do. I love the potential the media player has but if they killed the USB player, I'd naturally assume that the media player would easily be able to do what the USB player did AND some and it's just so odd that it does not.

Andrefpvs

So, I had the opportunity to try and load a few files over USB.

My goodness, the compatibility is terrible. 1 out of 4 MKVs work, and a few of my AVI videos I edited in 2009 don't even load. Setting up a media server also isn't really an option since I don't have a desktop PC.

This thing needs more codecs, ASAP.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, I had the opportunity to try and load a few files over USB.

My goodness, the compatibility is terrible. 1 out of 4 MKVs work, and a few of my AVI videos I edited in 2009 don't even load. Setting up a media server also isn't really an option since I don't have a desktop PC.

This thing needs more codecs, ASAP.

I know right?! MORE CODECS SONY

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was wondering if that might be why a handful of AVI files no longer play. These were just DVD rips from a few years ago but there was never any problem playing them on PS3 or PS4.

Yeah saw this earlier.

Version 1.50

- Arabic is now supported
- The closed captioning feature for videos has been improved
- [Display Mode] has been added to [Videos]
- The location of media in [Recently Played] and [Favourites] can now be displayed
- Stability during use of some features has been improved

Stability update included. Now I feel confident in this update

drotahorror

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know how to shuffle songs with this thing? Maybe I'm just overlooking it, kind of dumb to play them in alphabetical order.

*Nvm, you have to press X on a song and shuffle it from there. Pretty weird way honestly.

Miroku129

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know how to shuffle songs with this thing? Maybe I'm just overlooking it, kind of dumb to play them in alphabetical order.

*Nvm, you have to press X on a song and shuffle it from there. Pretty weird way honestly.

Dude...

What are y'all doing with your setups?

ExFAT formatted USB drive, folder called PS4 and it plays everything I've thrown at it, including MKVs.

Subs I've had more issues with, especially when they're in a .srt file, but other than that it's been brilliant.

No complaints about disc playback either. Haven't really bothers with the media player option as USB works perfectly,

the problem for alot of files is this : what settings were used to encode it.

the media player only accepts 2 of the most basic profiles in other words no 10bit support

Top Bottom