• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
This needs more Lupin the III 2nd series love which has some of the greatest heists even compared to real cinema. I basically compare heists films if they were as clever as an episode of Lupin the III.

CiSTM

Banned
Now watching Urusei Yatsura. I am having really hard time to get in to it. Well I hope it's get better than this but then again I'm only at episode 15.

Shirokun

CiSTM said:
Now watching Urusei Yatsura. I am having really hard time to get in to it. Well I hope it's get better than this but then again I'm only at episode 15.

Ehh...I watched about 40 episodes, and it doesn't really change a whole lot. I'd just stop watching while you're ahead, track down a copy of the amazing Urusei Yatsutra: Beautiful Dreamers, and be done with it.

And jump on Maison Ikkoku if you haven't already. It's Takahashi's best work.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shirokun said:
Ehh...I watched about 40 episodes, and it doesn't really change a whole lot. I'd just stop watching while you're ahead, track down a copy of the amazing Urusei Yatsutra: Beautiful Dreamers, and be done with it.
I'm actually around 160 or so episodes into it, and the 40s were when I found myself starting to really like the show. Yeah, I know people usually say somebody quits JUST BEFORE it got good and it really doesn't, but I also found the start of the show to be really slow and I actually put the show aside after watching 30 something episodes a year or two ago. I'm now rather glad I came back to it.

BTW, I'm considering the run of quarter-hour eps at the very start to be one episode per pair. They switch to the standard half-hour format after 23 or so episodes for those who aren't aware.

Shirokun said:

And jump on Maison Ikkoku if you haven't already. It's Takahashi's best work.

This is true.

Urusei Yatsura actually gets considerably worse as time goes on, like anything else, unless you really like the characters. (I just so happen to love them) The first episodes are def the best. After that, it's really the same ole "Japanese Fairytale of the week" format, where some obscure Japanese folk tale character you could (-n't you gaf sticklers, you) give a fuck about shows up, and nobody really does anything related to real character development. Maison Ikkoku doesn't fall into that trap, because it would be exceptionally retarded given the context; but the slow speed at which Godai and Kyoko's relationship progresses will drive you nuts. Ranma is kind of a balance of the two, and I would probably call it my sentimental favorite, although Maison is definitely the most consistently good of all her MAJOR works. Honestly, it's just a few seasons two long.

By the way, guys, Cross Game is a real throwback if you love that 80's style as much as I do! Check it out. NOT really a spoiler, but just in case:
Only the first episode is considered by most to be kinda bummer inducing, I promise, the rest of it won't be so manipulative.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ranma aggravates me, mainly because it's left as a possibility that his condition is curable but he's too fucking lazy to actually go back, but also because it weaves a huge web of relationships and love interests that can't really go anywhere and really drags on as the show progresses. Not to mention the "Fuck You" at the end. Urusei Yatsura doesn't bog itself down that way and keeps itself more flexible. Sure, if you absolutely despise episodic shows it's not for you, but I look at it more like The Simpsons purely speaking in terms of format. Also, as it goes on the stories start getting smarter and the characters exhibit a bit of depth they don't have at the beginning.

In short, Takahashi anime gets better through Urusei Yatsura(prototyping both MI and Ranma along the way), peaks with Maison Ikkoku*, declines with Ranma, and becomes forgettable with Inu Yasha.

*Of course, bear in mind that the Maison Ikkoku manga was written concurrently with Urusei Yatsura. UY starting in 1978, MI starting in 1980, and both concluding in 1987.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm going to stick with Urusei Yatsutra but I'm going to do it in small doses. Mainly because I don't have anything else to watch. And there has been some rather good episodes already so who knows I might end up liking it.

EDIT: And I have already seen Maison Ikkoku, and I love it :) One of my favorite animes.

mAcOdIn

Anyone happen to know if Project A-ko's got a Bluray release coming down the line? I really want to watch it again and I know there's the DVD's floating around but if there's a BluRay coming out I'll hold out.

Well, Ranma is one of those shows that the premise is so flimsy, that if you think about it too hard, you'll definitely come away shaking your head. Why does he have to have so many fiancees? You know he can't ever end up with any of them, because the other two will kill themselves or something.

I really think the best ending would have been for Ranma to just bail out or something. Just... if you watch Ranma, check your brain at the door. Ranma is a prude he fights exotic hot women off with a stick. He should have at least coaxed a bop or two outta Shampoo, IMHO. :lol

To be fair, Urusei Yatsura's ending
might be considered a cop-out, too.

Inuyasha to me seemed like an attempt to really target young males (well, more than usual, anyway). I suppose it worked well for her, stateside especially.

Can anyone identify this 80s anime?

I saw it as a young kid living in Montreal. It was on a french channel and was a sci fi about this race of people who lived and could breathe underwater. The surface world was mostly covered by water, but there were some floating cities still left. A girl from the underwater race went to the surface world and was eventually captured. The one scene that sticks out is she's in a tube in front of an audience and her captor is trying to convince them she's not human. The tube fills with water and her skin turns blue as she starts breathing water. The ending has the surface humans attacking the underwater people and the girl sacrifices herself to stop it. I don't know if it was a movie or part of a series, but in the past 20 years, I never found out what it was.

Ganondorfo

Whifflebat said:

I saw it as a young kid living in Montreal. It was on a french channel and was a sci fi about this race of people who lived and could breathe underwater. The surface world was mostly covered by water, but there were some floating cities still left. A girl from the underwater race went to the surface world and was eventually captured. The one scene that sticks out is she's in a tube in front of an audience and her captor is trying to convince them she's not human. The tube fills with water and her skin turns blue as she starts breathing water. The ending has the surface humans attacking the underwater people and the girl sacrifices herself to stop it. I don't know if it was a movie or part of a series, but in the past 20 years, I never found out what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_Battler_Dunbine

Is it this one?

Man, what a nice time for this thread to get bumped. I've honestly not watched a lick of anime in probably 10 years. But just the other day I randomly watched (it happened to show up on netflix instant streaming on the 360) Castle of Cagliostro and seeing that and reading this thread really brought me back to my youth in a hurry. Used to con my parents in to driving me to some funky video store in some Detroit suburb to rent Ranma 1/2 videos, since I didn't have enough cash to buy them and it was the only place that rented anime within like 100 miles.

I'll have to see if any more classics are on netflix instant streaming, plus I think my library system carries a fair bit of manga, time to actually see what the heck actually happens at the end of some of the Takahashi series that I used to follow.

mAcOdIn said:
Anyone happen to know if Project A-ko's got a Bluray release coming down the line? I really want to watch it again and I know there's the DVD's floating around but if there's a BluRay coming out I'll hold out.

Very doubtful unless somebody else licenses it.

I don't know if CPM's license is actually expired, but since they're basically out of the anime business, I don't think you'll be seeing any of their titles come to Blu-Ray any time soon.

I'd track that DVD down while it's still 'relatively' cheap.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
mysterious cities of gold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold

WALL1024.JPG

Image69.jpg

edit: and for fans on the show, you might be interested in this:

Sequel cartoon

Three new seasons of 26 episodes each are confirmed and in progress. The design for the characters will be the same with some 3d graphic update. The production will begin late 2009 and the first season is due to 2011.

Feature film

In March 2007 Movie Plus Group acquired the rights to the story from NHK and announced that they would be producing a full length feature film reprising the original story, with the intention of looking at a sequel if the film proved successful. The film is slated to enter production in 2008.
fuck.yeah

day 1

Krelian29

Whifflebat said:

That's Elfie (Sango-sho Densetsu: Aoi Umi no Erufii)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1206
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cVxLVNvqs
Too bad this anime is very hard to find now i would like to watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom