• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sad, Insulting, Humiliating Tale of Tiger's GAME.COM

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One of my friends actually got this at launch. It was unequivicably the worst gaming device I've ever used. There's a reason that pretty much no one even knows what it is.

I got one of the original ones when they were hitting clearance but still kind of newish. I'll never forget the shitty ghosting on Sonic and how weird an experience it was to play RE2 on that system. Lights out was okay, but honestly I don't think I spent more than a few days playing that system.

Now the Cybiko is a different story, and I remember using the shit out of that thing. A lot of the games were legitimately fun and it was easier to take around than a Game Boy at the time. It was ahead of its time in some ways, particularly all of the wireless functionality for chatting and multi-player. Almost makes me want to get one on Ebay to mess around with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wanted a Cybiko sooooo bad as a kid. Only Staples had them and I rarely went there and when I did they were sold out. :(

Nif

Yeah, I had one. I only had lights out and arcade classics for it, which is probably for the best. I pretty much used it as a Joust / Solitaire / Lights Out machine. I would bring it to school because girls liked the touchscreen, too.

linkboy

wtfreudian.jpg

What

Its a Shriners cow with hypnotic powers, doesn't get much better then that.

jgkspsx

I don't think anyone has posted this musical masterpiece yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPJkuHb0Wo

Remember that it's trying to sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7hdIh-gtw

Wow, I kinda like the game.com version.

I loved Lights Out and Solitaire and was terribly disappointed by everything else. I have almost every game for the system. Daytona is playable. RE2 is impressive compared to everything else. I don't think anything else is really tolerable. I had a Game Gear first, and to go from real Sonic games to that Sonic Jam was amazing.

Nobody has pointed out that the system could only handle about 5 FPS.

I also had the R-Zone. (Panzer Dragoon on the go!) And the Daytona standalone handheld with the holographic backing image. What was that called?

jgkspsx

There was an Apollo 13 game for the R-Zone? What the hell would that consist of, doing calculus on a time limit?

Apparently Panzer Dragoon is really hard to find. Maybe I should cash in on my childhood!

Lots of the internet writing about the R-Zone and other Tiger handhelds say the gameplay was all the same. That's just not true. All the action, racing, shooter, etc. games did have the same gameplay as one another, but the genres themselves differed. Ironically, Tiger's handheld efforts including the R-Zone were much more playable than most of the game.com's library.

Oh, also, to correct an earlier poster, Tiger Telematics, manufacturers of the Gizmondo, has no relationship at all to Tiger Electronics, who made all this shit.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I thought it looked pretty cool in the store, but I passed because I wanted a Game Boy Color was content with my Game Boy. I did however get mom to pick up this little number, also by Tiger Electronics:
856423-rzone_screen_large.png

R-Zone

Absolute garbage, crap games, crap display and broke instantly.

Yup I got a R-Zone for Christmas was one. Good shit, I played it all day - and then never played it again.

Bgamer90

Banned
I remember seeing tons of commercials for the game.com as a kid.

But yeah, it looked horrible and it didn't have any games that looked interesting. I stuck to my game boy pocket.

maus

Thread brings up depressing/embarrassing childhood gaming memories.

I was denied any consoles until a Playstation about two years after its release when I was eleven. However, I was permitted, and treated to, a wealth of awful Tiger handhelds and I definitely anticipated the release of the Game.com. I was painfully aware of everything going on in the gaming world so any way I could play a version of Resident Evil or Duke Nukem 3D was a dream come true (I was a big pc gamer but there was no way I was getting Duke3D onto the family computer at that age). Fortunately I guess I got my Playstation right before the release of this thing and subsequently forgot all about it.

For some reason I was still strangely aroused by the idea of a portable Resident Evil and eagerly awaited the canceled game boy color port of the original. Weird times.

I'd swear on my family's lives that I saw Turok running on this thing on an episode of Cybernet back in the day, but i've never been able to find any other info that Turok was ever in development for it. No vids or pics or anything.
I swear I saw it though...I swear!!

I didn't have a Game.com, and I'm not sure how much I wanted one... it was interesting to see another handheld, and I do remember trying one in a store demo a few times, but I don't think I really wanted it that much. I already had a Game Boy, didn't really see enough in the Game.com to make me want it...

I did have an interest in the R-Zone Head Gear, though. That thing looked cool, back in the mid '90s! :) I never got one myself, though... I think I knew someone who did, but yeah, I did think it looked interesting. It was probably that it looked sort of like a VR helmet, which was cool then (and darnit, I still think the Virtual Boy looks kind of cool, if not so much R-Zone... I like the VB's design.). As for its games, though, Tiger's LCD games were generally not very good, so it's not exactly surprising that that didn't change on the R-Zone, which is an LCD game console after all (as in, it's not animating, just lighting up stuff on the screen, LCD game style). I owned a couple of LCD games, but didn't buy Tiger ones.

And that modem... I know that there probably wasn't a choice (a cellphone system or something would have been far too expensive then), but... wired modem addon for a handheld? Yeah, while the idea of having a handheld go online was cool, once you realized that it required a wired modem addon, I think that even then most people stopped caring.

As for that Cybiko thing, can't remember ever hearing about it before. What was it really?

It's really funny when you think about it. Especially when Nintendo popularized touch screen gaming.
Yeah, that's definitely true.

Sonic Generations > Sonic Colors > Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > dogshit > Sonic Heroes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic Jam Gamecom > Sonic 06
Sonic and the Secret Rings was good as well. It has some issues (camera at times...), but for the most part was pretty fun, really.

Top Bottom