• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shannara Chronicles |OT| MTV - High Fantasy (ft. Crixus & DJ Douche) - Tue 10/9c

I loved this series as a kid, so the show being made got me pretty excited. After the first 2 episodes I decided to read Elfstones again just to see how much they changed.

I'm now starting Scions and I'm increasingly baffled by the decisions they're making for the series.

I understand that to fit the television show format they have to change things, especially since the series deals more with a group (or groups) going on an adventure (rather than a bunch of political maneuvering a la GoT), a format that I think naturally works better with a movie adaptation, but they seem to just be making huge changes on a whim at this point.

The races were changed, the race relations were changed, the history was changed in many places, key character traits were changed, major plot beats were changed, the journey itself was changed, and the tone was radically changed. At a certain point you just have to wonder why they bothered attaching the Shannara name to it at all.

I think at this point I'm just going to keep watching out of morbid curiosity. I guess a significant amount of the blame does lie with me for half expecting MTV of all people to do the series justice.

I'm confused.

The demon they killed in The Reaper episode was not THE Reaper.

In the season teaser, they show Will screaming "Die Already!" at a demon before he blasts it off the bridge. THAT was the Reaper.

e_i

Great, but some of the added things are stupid. Will
banging Esteria in episode 4 is a little stupid.

JeTmAn81

Watching the first two episodes on YouTube. I am beginning to wonder if there will ever be a movie/show that features a shapeshifter character who doesn't make evil eyes at the end of every scene to show the audience that it's really the shapeshifter. Call it Mystique syndrome.

RPGCrazied

Great episode. I really hope Allanon
isn't dead!

Really dig this show, its fun. Not so serious as game of thrones, more campy.

I hope it gets a season 2.

aku:jiki

Still not sure about this show but at least it felt like things moved forward in this episode. No more bandit gangs and they've killed off all the redshirts, so there can't really be any more holdups now, can there?

Not cool with my boy Manu being stabbed in the back. He better revive at his altar.

TDLink

I still don't think they've done a great job with Will. He's the hero just because, I guess. His actor isn't doing a great job. Amberlee is fine. Eritrea is terrible (both the character and the actor).

Alannon is the best main character but I guess he's dead now? I dunno, had high hopes for this show but they're really pushing the YA angle more than anything, which is really disappointing.

Kinda feeling like being done with this show if Alannon is actually gone, but I'll give it another episode since I have a suspicion he isn't.

The Allanon death was the epitome of stupid. "I'll throw a book at the guy with a sword, then turn toward the shapeshifter and start with the blah blah blah so that my distracted book maneuver gets completely wiped out."

LordOfChaos

I wish they would ease up with the red eye Changeling thing, it's so ham handed. "HAHA REMEMBER I'M STILL THE CHANGELING?!", like jesus, we get it, stop staring into the distance evilly and changing your eyes back for no reason .

I wish they would ease up with the red eye Changeling thing, it's so ham handed. "HAHA REMEMBER I'M STILL THE CHANGELING?!", like jesus, we get it, stop staring into the distance evilly and changing your eyes back for no reason .

Show is written for teen girls who might be too busy tweeting to have noticed so they need to do it every time they have a scene with the impostor king to make sure they get it.

LordOfChaos

Are they just mashing the Reaper and the demon that smashed up the rover camp together? Maaan,
seek his face
was perhaps the highlight of the whole book.

In the season teaser, they show Will screaming "Die Already!" at a demon before he blasts it off the bridge. THAT was the Reaper.

Yeah I was confused at that, I swear in the trailer it looked more reaper-like, but then at the end of this episode it was just the big demon from the camp when he used that line.

Gaz_RB

Show has turned to shit.
I love seeing how they mix the pre apoc elements of the world in the show. A lot of little details were missed in the books when I read them as a child. I need to go back to them again but his themes are so damn repetitive.

They play on the post apocalyptic stuff more in the show than Elfstones ever did.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Show has turned to shit.

Love the show, but there are definitely criticisms that come to mind: script definitely needs polishing, and the death scenes of several characters have no impact whatsoever for either the viewer or the show itself, there's no emotion.

It started off strong, but this episode was barely passable.

I'm hoping it gets renewed for a second season as the material is sublime but the above points need to be addressed.

zroid

Banned
I'm hoping it gets renewed for a second season as the material is sublime but the above points need to be addressed.

Yeah seriously. I hope it gets renewed and if the executives have a little more confidence in the product maybe the writers will have the opportunity to tone down the CWisms and other problems with the series.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the first season of a show has a lot of issues which get addressed in future seasons. I want this series to be good because I like a lot about it... just.. y'know.

DJ_Lae

Well, that was as bad if not worse than I was expecting.

I don't even know what I was expecting.

Will stick it through but man is it getting increasingly more difficult to find the willpower. My love of the books as a teenager can only take me so far.

Are they still making a Magic Kingdom: For Sale, Sold movie? That series was fun from what I remembered, but don't know if it would translate to the screen all that well.

LordOfChaos

They seem pretty far along the Elfstones plot to stretch it out to a second season. They already showed Amberle in the Bloodfire in the trailers for this season. I guess going home and the war could be the second season, but that would be stretching it worse than the third Hobbit movie.

Now, follow up Sword series, or High Druid, Wishsong, really whatever? That would be ok, and hopefully they grow it up with its intended audience.

EDIT: Nevermind, was this season only these six episodes?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
They seem pretty far along the Elfstones plot to stretch it out to a second season. They already showed Amberle in the Bloodfire in the trailers for this season. I guess going home and the war could be the second season, but that would be stretching it worse than the third Hobbit movie.

Now, follow up Sword series, or High Druid, Wishsong, really whatever? That would be ok, and hopefully they grow it up with its intended audience.

EDIT: Nevermind, was this season only these six episodes?

Nope 10 episodes

Are they still making a Magic Kingdom: For Sale, Sold movie? That series was fun from what I remembered, but don't know if it would translate to the screen all that well.

That was the plan but as usual it's taken longer than expected. One version had to be rejected because of stuff but they've now found a script writer they are happy with. Steve Carell apparently wants to play Ben Holiday fwiw.

I saw The Big Short the other day and
I probably learned this a long time ago because I remember seeing a story about him before but I was amused by the fact to find that the guy Christian Bale played is a fan of the book series, specifically The Scions of Shannara and named his hedge fund after it.

That's not really a spoiler but, eh.

I'm only watching because Terry Brooks, along with Lloyd Alexander, was my "Tolkien" before I ever read Lord of the Rings. Sword of Shannara and the sequels will forever be part of my childhood and they're chiefly responsible for me falling in love with the fantasy genre.

That said, this TV series is testing the limits of that tolerance. None of the show's characters are how I envisioned them when I first cracked open the book as a kid. This show assaults my sensibilities and memories of the Shannara stories in ways I couldn't have predicted, even after watching the trailers.

I'll finish this season, but if they don't fix a lot of the issues - already mentioned in this thread - I'll wash my mouth of this show by returning to the novels.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Last episode was fantastic IMO.

I think this series has a lot of potential, just needs wittier writing.

Faenix1

So I use a program - that seems to be used to download shows, but I use it to keep track of my programs for conflicts - but it says after Episode 8 (Feb 16th) they will air the last two episodes the first two Saturdays of march.

Is this cause for worry? How can, I assume, such a high budget TV show survive on the weekend?

Faenix1

Shouldn't the season be over by then?

Why I asked. Hoping the program is wrong. According to it the last two episodes are in March, after a two week hiatus. Wikipedia says otherwise so not sure which to believe.

Been worried about the show for quite awhile. Other MTV shows, like Teen Wolf, seem to have similar - though higher - ratings but they don't seem to have the CGI budget this show has.

e_i

WTF Esteria? Are you that horny? Also, Esteria's "father" is such a dick. Kill the fucker already. Also there's no way that
Allanon is dead

LordOfChaos

I'm only watching because Terry Brooks, along with Lloyd Alexander, was my "Tolkien" before I ever read Lord of the Rings. Sword of Shannara and the sequels will forever be part of my childhood and they're chiefly responsible for me falling in love with the fantasy genre.

That said, this TV series is testing the limits of that tolerance. None of the show's characters are how I envisioned them when I first cracked open the book as a kid. This show assaults my sensibilities and memories of the Shannara stories in ways I couldn't have predicted, even after watching the trailers.

I'll finish this season, but if they don't fix a lot of the issues - already mentioned in this thread - I'll wash my mouth of this show by returning to the novels.

I'm in the same boat, but I've just come to terms with the fact that this isn't meant for us. It's meant for a teenage MTV audience, probably more that never read the books than did.

I do wish it would grow up a bit though. It's replacing touching moments in the books (like Amberlees and the trees communication,
the tree being a woman with feelings,
etc), with high school drama, and it sucks.

The above, that also ruins the setup for
Amberlee becoming the tree, since the show has not established it's a previous woman who did the same, doesn't it?
. Plus the lack of Reaper, and just running with the demon from the camp, ruins the setup for one of the highest moments in the book,
seek his face

This series prompted me to start rereading the Shannara series. I just started Elf Queen and I noticed something interesting.

(Book details follow for the setting of Elf Queen of Shannara)

In Elder Scrolls lore, there's a small volcanic island off the coast of the mainland inhabited by elves called Morrowind.

In Elf Queen, there's a small volcanic island off the coast of the mainland inhabited by elves called Morrowindl.

Is this just a huge coincidence or some minor inspiration?

Yes I know the island in Elder Scrolls is technically Vvardenfell, but it's what most people know as Morrowind.

This series prompted me to start rereading the Shannara series. I just started Elf Queen and I noticed something interesting.

(Book details follow for the setting of Elf Queen of Shannara)

In Elder Scrolls lore, there's a small volcanic island off the coast of the mainland inhabited by elves called Morrowind.

In Elf Queen, there's a small volcanic island off the coast of the mainland inhabited by elves called Morrowindl.

Is this just a huge coincidence or some minor inspiration?

Yes I know the island in Elder Scrolls is technically Vvardenfell, but it's what most people know as Morrowind.

Maybe, Elf Queen was published in '92 while TES: Arena came out in '94. In the books, Morrowindl is implied to be Hawaii.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Is MTV just trolling us with this show? I think that trying to answer that question is the only reason I turn this on and waste an hour of my life. I mean, is there a more inconceivably cringe-worthy show on television? It almost feels intentional.

The awesome natural setting and obviously pricey production is completely wasted with horrible writing, directing and acting. It is like a bunch of high school freshman decided to make this. Hey MTV, if you make a show and you aren't just trolling the viewers...how about hiring, you know, talent?

Khoryos

Are the Shannara books actually worth reading? I read the Word and Void books (which I gather are a prequel) and thought they a little god-bothery for my taste. Is Shannara the same?

Are the Shannara books actually worth reading? I read the Word and Void books (which I gather are a prequel) and thought they a little god-bothery for my taste. Is Shannara the same?

I'd say they are worth reading, but I'm biased. The Word and Void books became a prequel series after Brooks wrote a trilogy that tied them together with Shannara. There are no religious undertones like the Word and Void if that's what you mean. The trilogy that ties them together takes place after WWIII after the Knights of the Word failed and everything is fucked.

Oh boy, what the fuck was that? I mean these last episodes as a whole were a big joke to be honest, I can't believe the nosedive it took since the first 2 episodes.

Top Bottom