• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitanator

I was worried about that price tag, but if this thing can sell a steady amount until the holidays in japan I would call that a success for them

VeeP

I've always said it would dominate Japan. Look it up. People made fun of me. Watch it happen.

I said the same thing. Where did anyone say it wouldn't be big in Japan, I'm legit curious? I feel like most of GAF thought it would be. Handhelds are bigger than consoles over there, PS4 has sold worse compared to PS3, while 3DS and VITA have sold very well.

Why the hell is this news OP?

I said the same thing. Where did anyone say it wouldn't be big in Japan, I'm legit curious? I feel like most of GAF thought it would be. Handhelds are bigger than consoles over there, PS4 has sold worse compared to PS3, while 3DS and VITA have sold very well.

Why the hell is this news OP?

No Shit.

Ps4 is ahead of ps3 in Japan, don't know why this narrative exists. Switch is not a guarantee to dominate japan, at all.

Jigorath

Banned
Switch should be huge in Japan by virtue of being the only handheld left after Vita and 3DS support dies off. Japan loves their handhelds.

Apathy

Didn't the wiiu instantly sell out as well?

The US had 400k allotment that sold out.

From the 18th of november to december 31st, 43 days, the wii u sold 3.06m. Things sell well early on. we need to see what the following months show

Remember that between december 31st and march 31st, the wii u went from 3.06m to 3.45m. So yeah, again, people need to wait

ps4 had announced 2.1 sold through by december 1st 2013. thats only 2 weeks, and its sold through. Nintendo has been on record saying they plan to ship 2 million in the first 3 weeks.
Based on January feedback, they've said they can up the ante if they see how fast it's sold out everywhere .

HotHamBoy

Not saying the Switch will do bad, but doesn't this always happen? I don't think it's evidence of anything

They are reaching for something.

It doesn't matter if initial preorders run out, what matters is if it continues to sell well AFTER early adopters/enthusiasts get theirs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why would this be a judge of a long tail? Preorders sell out, that's automatically going to happen with hardcore devices regardless

Splatoon 2 is gonna be so big over there. Shit, the Switch is gonna dominate Japan in general.

Why? Wii-u had splatoon/, PS4 is neck and neck with 3ds, switch is not a guarantee to lead in japan, at all. 3DS is not going anywhere for awhile, switch is mainly a home console, it is not going to sell like 3ds.

A reminder that this is their launch lineup on day 1 since I was wondering what games they would be buying.
Super Bomberman R of course.

Why? Wii-u had splatoon/, PS4 is neck and neck with 3ds, switch is not a guarantee to lead in japan, at all. 3DS is not going anywhere for awhile, switch is mainly a home console, it is not going to sell like 3ds.

How is trolling like this allowed? The PS4 is not selling good and the 3DS has sold over 21 million units in Japan.

Here's the only thing you need to ask yourself: if this thing sells out in Japan and bombs everywhere else... Is Nintendo happy?

Now you know why nobody gives a damn about Japan. It wouldn't even be profitable, let alone a success.

How is this relevant? It's pretty much sold out worldwide.

LordRaptor

I wouldn't be surprised if they allocated more units in Japan than in the US even if it sold out 3x as quick.

I'd actually assume more were allocatd to the US, given the US is a bigger territory, and that its likely going to be faster to resupply from their factories to Japan than the US

phanphare

Banned
Splatoon 2 is gonna be so big over there. Shit, the Switch is gonna dominate Japan in general.

I feel like 8 player lan gatherings are going to be a big thing in japan

the wii u had splatoon.....and it was a massive success and was actually a system seller. on the wii u. an unattractive home console in a region that prefers mobile gaming to home consoles by a large margin.

now splatoon is coming out on a mobile device for the first time.

Celeras

Banned
Here's the only thing you need to ask yourself: if this thing sells out in Japan and bombs everywhere else... Is Nintendo happy?

Now you know why nobody gives a damn about Japan. It wouldn't even be profitable, let alone a success.

Launch month? Of course they'll sell out. PS4 had a pretty strong first couple of months then bottomed out hard 3-4 months in Japan. Luckily, Nintendo has big titles like Splatoon 2 coming around that time, which will result in a huge boost in hardware sales.

Super Bomberman R of course.

How is trolling like this allowed? The PS4 is not selling good and the 3DS has sold over 21 million units in Japan.

How is this relevant? It's pretty much sold out worldwide.

Trolling? WTF, Ps4 is ahead of ps3 in Japan, look it up. How the heck is that trolling? It is selling fine. This year PS4 and 3ds are neck and neck I never said anything about LTD sales. Jump to conclusions much?

First of all, I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Earlier you said PS4 outsold PS3 in Japan. It hasn't even sold half.

Now you say PS4 and 3DS are neck and neck?

Are you just talking about weekly sales? If so, what's the point? Of course the PS4 is currently selling more than the PS3....I mean...duh?

It's selling about as well as 3DS, a system in probably it's last year of relevance. How is this an achievement? It's like 18m behind, only recently passed the Wii U....

No surprise that pre-orders are hot in Japan. I'm very curious to see how it unfolds over the next few months. There's no doubt that Splatoon 2 is going to be a popular game in Japan when it launches.

ggx2ac

The US had 400k allotment that sold out.

From the 18th of november to december 31st, 43 days, the wii u sold 3.06m. Things sell well early on. we need to see what the following months show

Remember that between december 31st and march 31st, the wii u went from 3.06m to 3.45m. So yeah, again, people need to wait

That was shipped.

First of all, I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Earlier you said PS4 outsold PS3 in Japan. It hasn't even sold half.

Now you say PS4 and 3DS are neck and neck?

Are you just talking about weekly sales? If so, what's the point? Of course the PS4 is currently selling more than the PS3....I mean...duh?

It's selling about as well as 3DS, a system in probably it's last year of relevance. How is this an achievement? It's like 18m behind, only recently passed the Wii U....
I meant it is Ahead of the ps3 at this point in it's life I meant, it is ahead of ps3's pace. Never said anything about lifetime.

Vinnk

A link to what? I'm talking about local stores. It's a shame your local stores are sold out, but mine aren't yet. I also got my order on Amazon too.

Sorry, I misread. I thought some of the smaller shops (many of which do online sales) still had some. Yeah, he might just be out of luck. I wonder how many they will have on shelves for launch?

I got one just now. It's not sold out.
Online? Can you share the link?

Trolling? WTF, Ps4 is ahead of ps3 in Japan, look it up. How the heck is that trolling? It is selling fine. This year PS4 and 3ds are neck and neck I never said anything about LTD sales. Jump to conclusions much?
Why are you comparing 3 year old system to a 6 year old system that's on its way out? That's trolling.

tsumineko

That's saying 15minutes for Amazon, the article is saying brick and mortar stores were sold out in 15 minutes.

Sorry, I misread. I thought some of the smaller shops (many of which do online sales) still had some. Yeah, he might just be out of luck. I wonder how many they will have on shelves for launch?

No worries! Your brother should keep looking around, no doubt stores still have orders available! Good luck!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo consoles almost always sell out on day 1, it's all about the sales in the following months which I can tell you is not gonna be good with the release schedule they have currently.

The following months will have splatoon 2 which would be starting the marketing campaign pretty soon after the switch releases.

Why are you comparing 3 year old system to a 6 year old system that's on its way out? That's trolling.

That isn't trollng, you clearly don't understand the word. It shows the switch is no guarantee to outsell anything, it is too expensive, doesnt have enough software, and 3DS is quite a long way from going away. Everyone keeps bringing up 3ds, it is a home console and will be seen as such, with portablilty. There is a difference. Switch won't touch 3ds Lifetime sales. Switch is not going to be 180 in 6 months.

Vinnk

No worries! Your brother should keep looking around, no doubt stores still have orders available! Good luck!

Thanks. Need to get him a pre-order because we both work on the 3rd. Love games but maybe not enough to loose a days pay to stand in line.

Japan loves handhelds. Even the Vita did good there. Quite a bit of the 3ds units are sold there. Not surprising. Always expected it to do good there. The "backlash" is here, and in this country many of the things they announced are BS. Like 80 dollar controllers.

J@hranimo

Banned

At launch it probably won't, but with a hybrid system that will eventually get more titles than the 3DS it'll do very well. Plus the 3DS does not have Splatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom