• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch sells out in minutes in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
kVYHaRB.png

Ninty's had launch hardware shortages since the Wii. Being sold out at launch isn't a sufficient indicator that it's going to be a huge success.

MogCakes

Thats honestly really great. I'm just trying to understand what posters who say this is specially catered to Japan are talking about.

I'd assume that's in reference to the high mobility of the average JP citizen. They don't really sit at home a lot like in the US and elsewhere. YMMV of course.

Ratrat

It would help if the OP put one of my posts in the original post instead of memes........

Good list, and Amazon is sold out, of course. Should've specified I meant retail stores in my post btw :p. I guess Yodobashi Akiba and Shinjuku are the biggest stores that would probably attract the biggest crowds, so if those aren't sold out, then everywhere is probably also still safe (though those two branches would of course also be given larger quantities so it doesn't rule anything out).
Thought you meant biggest stores as in franchise(This list) But if they are not soldout online, they probably arent in stores either.

Astral Dog

Welp, I guess we should stop having threads like this since it's obvious none of it matters. I guess people just like to talk about stuff....
Specially when the op is filled with strange assumptions and misconceptions, a nintendo system selling at launch doesn't mean the japanese market is going to buy in droves, at least not yet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man some of you guys really want this thing to fail huh?

I don't think pointing out the ridiculousness of "man switch is gonna dominate Japan and destroy everything!" based on a faulty news source already debunked has anything to do with wanting to see Switch fail.

People are way too overly defensive and have been since the reveal. The fact of the matter is, these numbers dont tell any story besides who wants to be in line first for the device

Ratrat

Man some of you guys really want this thing to fail huh?
Yes, lets salivate over the sparse op instead actually looking at some facts!

I'd assume that's in reference to the high mobility of the average JP citizen. They don't really sit at home a lot like in the US and elsewhere. YMMV of course.
Indeed, but the Switch doesnt look like a great option in that department compared to smartphones and more affordable game devices.

Sizzel

I would hope , if anywhere, Japan would be hyped. I am going to need everyone to buy this and ask for Metroid, please Nintendo kill the 3Ds and switch the branding to the handheld you can play on a big screen not the console you can take on the go. It is not looking good so far, I bought one and I am not even hyped hahaha

Some Nobody

The same people also trumpeted "QUEEN HILLARY GONNA SLAY!" Before the US election.

Being wrong isn't a new thing here.

Well. Couple things:

1.) Anyone calling her "Queen" Hillary was a joke. There was only ever one real candidate and we kicked him out too early. >_<

2.) She DID "slay". Not her fault (or ours) that the Presidential Election is run like NO other democratic election process on the planet, including some all of our own for lower offices. :p

And yeah, I don't "want" the Switch to fail. Far from it--much like most, I want it to succeed as its the place where many Japanese games are going to end up making their home for the next 4-5 years. But I can't GET that if Nintendo's making decisions like they run shit instead of being a company that's been getting its teeth kicked in on the console market for the last four years. I mean, we make jokes about the XB1 failing because everyone just kinda considers it picking on the Wii U at this point--that's how bad it is.

So yeah. Right now there's no reason to be hype for Nintendo--because they're not doing anything that hasn't been done yet. If Nintendo were to sell out completely, then add another million or so to the shipment for launch and sell out again? Well now we'd be talking.

guek

Banned
Well, it would help if the OP put one of my posts in the original post instead of memes........

Chill out dude

or maybe you're actually chill but your avatar makes you seem upset by default

tell your avatar to chill out dude

Ratrat

Just noticed the 24 hour/waiting in line all night bit. I would be seriously worried for anyone who attempted that. Last night was freezing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So in reality it hasn't even sold yet in the first day in Japan... going to be tough sledding

That doesn't indicate the Switch not selling fine upon release or picking up as more preorders become available. Its the first day

MogCakes

Indeed, but the Switch doesnt look like a great option in that department compared to smartphones and more affordable game devices.

Whether or not that's true, the system's form factor is absolutely aimed at the lifestyle many JP people live.

hao chi

Hopefully it continues to do strongly over there. I'd love for the Switch to become the unofficial successor to the Vita in addition to the 3DS and Wii U. Even if it doesn't get significant Western third party support, that'd still make for a damn good library.

Ok sorry for not agreeing with you guys.

It would be nice to be hopeful once in a while though. Not everything has to be doom and gloom or "wait and see".

maruchan

i know people comparing the wiiu launch to this. that selling out means nothing. But this launch is post christmas, how does it compare to non christmas launches, didnt gba, sp, and lite launch in spring?

kubus

Anyone in Japan know a good place to preorder now that Yodobashi's supposedly sold out?
Supposedly it's still available everywhere as long as it's retail. Go to Geo if you don't want to pay up front.

Edit: I don't get what all these "negative nancies" posters are on about? Nobody here is saying they want to see the Switch fail.

Correcting misleading information /=/ hating or being negative

jxN3

Switch is designed for the Japanese... it will be a HUGE failure in the US (where only graphics really matter), and to a lesser extent in Europe. Europe mainly because of screwy pricing by NoE. It will do far better in Japan than any other region.
lol

Koobion

I don't think pointing out the ridiculousness of "man switch is gonna dominate Japan and destroy everything!" based on a faulty news source already debunked has anything to do with wanting to see Switch fail.

People are way too overly defensive and have been since the reveal. The fact of the matter is, these numbers dont tell any story besides who wants to be in line first for the device

Have you read the thread? Or any others about the Switch? They are riddled with posts of people saying pointless crap, saying things like "Lmao means nothing" and every which version of that. There are clearly a number of people who want it to fail, and it's just ridiculously childish.

koss424

I'm sure Nintendo will regret their dismal launch titles now.

I think Nintendo is thinking more long term. Get a couple of good years and build a modest install base then they can come in with powered dock mid gen and offer stronger living room console experience (maybe even VR) while the owners still have a decent handheld with original Switch. Nintendo needs to rebuild itself and one console isn't going to do it .

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
qIwGrID.jpg

This was outside sofmap akihabara around 1pm.. assumig if they were sold out it was to register interest.

Vinnk

Seems there are no online pre-orders anymore. But people who still need one:

1. try calling local stores. Some seem to still have them.

2. If you live in a big city they might be sold out but try a store in the suburbs, they might have gotten a similar number of pre-orders even though they are in a smaller town. Giving you a better chance.

3. And MyNintendo store will have some on Monday.

Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom