• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children [OT] Where FTP means 'For The People'

Vindicator

The patterns of attack are affected by how many russian dolls you have resurrected... sometimes you might hit a higher percentage wave like this, but then if you push through and resurrect a few more dolls it will probably get easier for a while.

The towns themselves have different difficulty settings too... so some towns are slightly more tough than others.

Must be a tough one...
The population hovers around 20-30 despite more than 100 revived matroshkas but a little progress is there, 54k earned toil isn't enough :D

somme

You know, I love the game but the combination of new players who don't know what to do/undo the work of those that do and the constant barrage of attacks (I haven't noticed a change) has made me want to stop.

I spend hours sorting shit out only to have it undone in mere minutes. All the wood goes on repairs, all the buildings and defences get destroyed as do the trees. So everyone starves, the buildings disappear and we're back to square one.

That's alright once or twice but I've been in this town for 10+ days and it's happening everyday. Highest we've gotten the population to was 250, or there abouts.

Yeah, food seems to be a constant issue in the towns I cycle through.
I agree with the post recommending trees that can't be so easily sawed (or another way to add to the food source; i.e. like a food paste machine mini game or something :p)

Afrikan

Man I don't remember this game being on that list of PlayStation Pro games that have support.

If EVER there was a game that could show the potential of HDR, I would think it would be this game. :/

Maybe patched down the road.

Really wish there was a way to better target your snubs.

The town I'm in has a player who is putting turrets in the middle of town and shooting other players, the bus, buildings, and dolls when they get dropped off by the bus. Trying to snub one person, means you often snub anyone who is close to them as well.

Alastor3

So, some things happened in a few towns I was in yesterday that I can't explain.

1) I don't know why but all the apples in the trees in the town started to fall down themselves and every 5 minutes the trees would have grow more apples that would fall down again. We got like 50-100+ Food in like 30 minutes, wtf?

2) Something happened, I don't know what but a guy was near the gree crystal depot in a town and suddenly, dozens and dozens of green crystall pop-up out of his bags in one swoop. Is it a bug or?

*help needed*
Welp, ran into a bug where I can no longer redeem my toil over at the Ministry of Labor. The game hardlocks whenever I do and crashes regardless of what I try. Partially have myself to blame for this; slipped my mind entirely to visit it sooner since the town I'm in (now that it's finally up and running) needed constant maintenance one way or another for approximately 2 - 3 hours, so the tasks kept piling up until it reached this point of no return. Not sure what to do about this. Sent a report with a video clip to show for it, for what little good that'll do me currently.

andylsun

We just patched the game, the izverg will be a little more varied in their attacks and not attempt to take out the entire town every time now :)

Single red izverg just took 3 passes through my town. Going to take a while to recover. Then another spawned between the island and the town and is marching straight towards us.

Are the glowing coloured spots on izverg just decoration or do we do more damage there?

Alastor3

Single red izverg just took 3 passes through my town. Going to take a while to recover. Then another spawned between the island and the town and is marching straight towards us.

Are the glowing coloured spots on izverg just decoration or do we do more damage there?

Can't wait that they remove the halloween update where monsters spawn frequently

Pandy

I love Q Games, but the business model doesn't encourage me to invest when I have so many other games asking for my time.

I hope it works out for them, because I want more games from them in the future.

There is a great game here marred by intentionally exploitative design.

I just wish they added private towns (Ultra Bourgeoisie Papers, maybe?), even as paid DLC. The main issue is griefers having more leaway than what the game punishes them for and I don't like playing with random people that just teardown food farms or waste resourses on buildings we don't need.

Game has potencial but lack of user feedback hurts it.

Also, give me more trophies and I will play it more like Warframe.

Ryuuga

Banned
I just wish they added private towns (Ultra Bourgeoisie Papers, maybe?), even as paid DLC. The main issue is griefers having more leaway than what the game punishes them for and I don't like playing with random people that just teardown food farms or waste resourses on buildings we don't need.

Game has potencial but lack of user feedback hurts it.

Also, give me more trophies and I will play it more like Warframe.

I can't say much but Fortnite has a better sense of fortify and defend. While they're different beasts thematically and execution wise, tomorrow children could learn some lessons from it. It's also more of a "game" in the sense of progression.

andylsun

The lighting in the game seems to have got wild. It gets really dark at night and that looks amazing. Sunrises and sunsets are wonderful

Remote play works really well. I'm 3000 miles from home and it's perfectly playable.

The lighting in the game seems to have got wild. It gets really dark at night and that looks amazing. Sunrises and sunsets are wonderful

Remote play works really well. I'm 3000 miles from home and it's perfectly playable.

Darkness during night time is BRUTAL - even in some towns.
Especially fun when some asshole grabs all the lanterns and moves them away from town. :(

andylsun

Just went back to the town I was working on.

Only person there, no food or power and about 30 flying mosquitoes inbound from the only island, at sunset.

Nope, off to another town.

HiVision

There is a great game here marred by intentionally exploitative design.

I really don't understand this sentiment and unfortunately feel the need to respond - I'll probably get shot down just "because" but I feel we designed the game to be very unexploitative.

The only gateway to bourgoisie is a cheap $5 cost or a few days "graft" picking up dollars from the ground. The game is designed to give you enough freeman dollars for "free" to let you try out pretty much anything you want in the game over the course of a few weeks.

The core game is based around coupons which have no relation to real money and pretty much everything is available in some form or other via that route once you have the basic licenses, which are just fixed one time costs and not repeated. To get a game of this magnitude and with persistent online support and updates about $10 really isn't much to ask.

So where's it being exploitative? The blackmarket is all about just getting things that are a touch better than the stuff you can already get but they aren't necessities by any means. Bribes and puzzle skipping are easily covered by the freeman dollar drops.

eFKac

What about the food drop problem?

I have yet to see a town with more than 10 food :/

That's hyperbole.

While I agree it should be balanced to be between the amount of food we had at launch and what we have now, but there are plenty of towns that strike a healthy balance of food after the initial drought.

That's hyperbole.

While I agree it should be balanced to be between the amount of food we had at launch and what we have now, but there are plenty of towns that strike a healthy balance of food after the initial drought.

I'm not kidding, most of the new towns I visited had from 0 to 10 food.

CorianderV

Neo Member
That's hyperbole.

I wish it were hyperbole as well. The food drought has not only stunted the growth of the towns I've attempted to restore, but has caused them to regress and become abandoned. I was all for upping the difficulty we had at launch, but it's gone so far that I find the game currently unpleasant to play.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

HiVision

I dont know a single person that plays this game in the UK that received the beta costume.

I really don't know wha thappened here and we got tied in circles trying to chase it up within Sony.

Apparently an e-mail should have arrived with a clickable link in it to enable the costume months ago.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I really don't know wha thappened here and we got tied in circles trying to chase it up within Sony.

Apparently an e-mail should have arrived with a clickable link in it to enable the costume months ago.

Unfortunately that never happened for me :( but gladly i have it now :)

Ryuuga

Banned
I really don't understand this sentiment and unfortunately feel the need to respond - I'll probably get shot down just "because" but I feel we designed the game to be very unexploitative.

The only gateway to bourgoisie is a cheap $5 cost or a few days "graft" picking up dollars from the ground. The game is designed to give you enough freeman dollars for "free" to let you try out pretty much anything you want in the game over the course of a few weeks.

I enjoyed the game despite a few bad eggs, but my comment stems from how the core design feels to me. Resource collecting feels too slow, personal storage feels too limited, tools decay too quickly and, like tools, weapons usefulness is fleeting. Many of those things can be remedied by upgrading your character I understand, but at it's default feels far too restrictive. It sounds weird to say I'm looking for convenience when hard work (which is usually arduous and involves time investment) is what the game rewards you for. I find no fault with spending money on it, but it irks me when priced content optimizes instead of adds to the experience.

The core game is based around coupons which have no relation to real money and pretty much everything is available in some form or other via that route once you have the basic licenses, which are just fixed one time costs and not repeated. To get a game of this magnitude and with persistent online support and updates about $10 really isn't much to ask.

Frankly, I'm part of the problem. I played with a friend during the stress test held earlier this year and we had a blast. That was with the content that is now locked behind bourgeois papers. We decided to sit out buying the founders pack and waited for it to go free to play yet now we've all but stopped playing. It's clear we were interested in what we thought the game was before restrictions were put up. Time is asked of us if we don't spend money and I guess we feel our time is spent better elsewhere.

So where's it being exploitative? The blackmarket is all about just getting things that are a touch better than the stuff you can already get but they aren't necessities by any means. Bribes and puzzle skipping are easily covered by the freeman dollar drops.

What I meant by exploitative is that the option to bypass tedium is with money. Money shouldn't be used to bypass or speed up core tenets of the game unless of course it's backed with a design meant to entice impatient players. Perhaps I misspoke when I said it was intentional, but this feels far too similar to time gates often seen in games with F2P sensibilities.

CxIodeYUkAAnvSU.jpg

Someone spent a long time doing this the other day in a town I went in

HiVision

I enjoyed the game despite a few bad eggs, but my comment stems from how the core design feels to me. Resource collecting feels too slow, personal storage feels too limited, tools decay too quickly and, like tools, weapons usefulness is fleeting. Many of those things can be remedied by upgrading your character I understand, but at it's default feels far too restrictive. It sounds weird to say I'm looking for convenience when hard work (which is usually arduous and involves time investment) is what the game rewards you for. I find no fault with spending money on it, but it irks me when priced content optimizes instead of adds to the experience.

Frankly, I'm part of the problem. I played with a friend during the stress test held earlier this year and we had a blast. That was with the content that is now locked behind bourgeois papers. We decided to sit out buying the founders pack and waited for it to go free to play yet now we've all but stopped playing. It's clear we were interested in what we thought the game was before restrictions were put up. Time is asked of us if we don't spend money and I guess we feel our time is spent better elsewhere.

What I meant by exploitative is that the option to bypass tedium is with money. Money shouldn't be used to bypass or speed up core tenets of the game unless of course it's backed with a design meant to entice impatient players. Perhaps I misspoke when I said it was intentional, but this feels far too similar to time gates often seen in games with F2P sensibilities.

I understand all that but we balanced the game with no ability to purchase using real money, so apart from the licenses (and I think this is the missing component in this conversation) which we consider the only gateway to the game's full experience we made sure the game was a ton of fun with just the dollar drops.

However, if you and your friend have avoided spending even the small amount on licenses then my only question is... why? We can't make these crazy experiments completely for free. That 20 dollar pack was pretty good value for money I think.

Anyway, it's all a big experiment at the end of the day and there are very few f2p games on the ps4 so we're doing our best to find the right balance.

HiVision

One thing that going f2p has really given us with TTC is an influx of players who wouldn't even consider spending a dollar on this kind of "weird" experimental title and then they realise (5 hours later) "oh... this is err pretty interesting". I think that's pretty awesome as it's getting harder and harder to reach people with games that are an odd genre!

Top Bottom