• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White Man's (New) Burden

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
ffzY17c.png

Amory

I never understand why people say Boston is a super racist city.

I get that as a white guy I'm probably a poor judge of what cities are racist and what cities aren't, but I've lived here for a few years now and it never seemed remotely racist to me.

I've heard it so many times that there must be some truth to it though.

APF

I never understand why people say Boston is a super racist city.

I get that as a white guy I'm probably a poor judge of what cities are racist and what cities aren't, but I've lived here for a few years now and it never seemed remotely racist to me.

I've heard it so many times that there must be some truth to it though.

Largely because it's one of the most segregated metropolitan areas in the US, not just in terms of living areas but also in terms of social/economic/political influence. It also has a large socially-conservative (white) blue-collar population, and a history of newsmaking racial incidents, eg most recently the Henry Louis Gates arrest that led to the famous "Beer Summit" at the White House. I was born in the Boston area and moved to NYC, and while NYC is definitely segregated in terms of neighborhoods, it's also a lot more integrated in terms of your day-to-day existence IME; this sort of experience probably has a lot to do with it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom