• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Why can't I play GTA V like everyone else" thread

Anustart

I must be the most fortunate pc gamer ever. I have never once had problems booting a game. I feel sorry for those that have though.

oneils

I still can't play the game. The social club window thingy always crashes on me. For some reason I was only ever able to login once and activiate the preorder bonus. Then it crashed. Now the thing never works.

I've submitted a ticket to Rockstar support about 30 hours ago but no response yet. I've tried all work arounds that I have found on the web. None of them have worked. Tried running while in safe mode with networking and that didn't work either.

Engell

So, if you are like me, after all the downloading, unpacking, busy writing to disk and whatever steps the game needed to be ready to play, you are still wondering what in the hell those BEX64 and ERR_INIT_PACK3 errors mean, and all the F5's of the world just add to the pain in the other two GAF threads regarding the game's wonderful performance and solid framerate and how everyone is doing happy dances.

There's still people (like me) who can't even start the game.

At the moment, there are two known issues (both named in my first paragraph)

- The BEX64 error (a crash ocurring in the Rockstar Launcher) seems to be related to some problem with special characters in the windows account username, the current workaround is to create another account with an alphanumeric name and reinstall the game in there.

Seems like the primary culprit are laptops with dual graphic cards, like NVIDIA Optimus and AMD (whatever it is named, i dunno), the main workaround seems to be the following list of steps:

Also this:

And also this, take it with a grain of salt, haven't tested it yet but worth a try:

- The *PACK* error is related to corrupted game files, the solution in Steam is right clicking the game, properties and click on the "Verify game data" so Steam can redownload the corrupted data, if that doesn't do the trick, you can redownload the entire game

Good luck everyone still dealing with this, i will update the thread when more solutions and workarounds appear

It worked for me with disabling the nvidia gfx on my laptop before starting the launcher, as soon as you see the socialclub load you then enable the nvidia gfx again and then everyhting works. This is ofc only something you can do on Intel/(nvidia and AMD) combos.

This is clearly an error in the socialclub app detecting hardware, and needs to fixed by rockstar.

cHinzo

It'll be obvious: your computer will tell you. For other crashes, I'd follow the advice in MrJustinius's post above to see if any downloaded files are corrupt.
Meh I guessed my GTAV.exe crashed for unknown reasons then. I did do the check and redownloaded some corrupt files, installed the latest Windows updates and the newest Nvidia drivers and the crashes were gone for me. Could play for almost three hours straight, which was unthinkable before: the game crashed like every 30 minutes without the updates. Finally able to play the game after 7 hours of being stuck on the first mission lol.

I hope u guys will solve ur problems soon too and Rockstar comes up with the double GPU fix for Social Club...

goonergaz

But people tell me PC gaming is nearly as simple as console gaming these days!?

(sorry to hear your issues OP but thanks for reminding me why console gaming is best for me)

After finally downloading the non-corrupt files though the RSC download client, my constant crashing in the prologue is now fixed and the game runs like a dream in Los Santos. If you are suffering any issues about running this game, most particularly crashes, doing the file verification method I did should really be step 1, or using the Steam game integrity check if you have the Steam version I guess. The game can still run if there are certain files that are corrupt, but eventually the game will need to load those files and if it can't find them, the game will crash. My first corrupted files needed to be loaded in halfway through the prologue, but there's no guarantees that passing the prologue means that all your files are in working order.

(sorry to hear your issues OP but thanks for reminding me why console gaming is best for me)

I'd say that this is an isolated case these days if anything, and for a game as high profile as GTAV these sorts of issues are exaggerating the generalisations about PC games once again. At least the port itself when it's working is fantastic and not another GTAIV, so Rockstar have massively improved there.

Gaming on PC is on the most part pick up and play these days, and console games aren't exempt from technical issues anymore either. Considering this and the increased visual fidelity, modability and cheaper prices of PC games, it's well worth the investment if you're thinking about getting a gaming PC. Don't let these sorts of things dissuade you.

Engell

I think i remember that there were issues on the consoles as well..?

Mendax

I must be the most fortunate pc gamer ever. I have never once had problems booting a game. I feel sorry for those that have though.

or you play only a select few games.. there are sooo many games in my library that give trouble every now and again. For most of them it seems completely random too.

After finally downloading the non-corrupt files though the RSC download client, my constant crashing in the prologue is now fixed and the game runs like a dream in Los Santos. If you are suffering any issues about running this game, most particularly crashes, doing the file verification method I did should really be step 1, or using the Steam game integrity check if you have the Steam version I guess. The game can still run if there are certain files that are corrupt, but eventually the game will need to load those files and if it can't find them, the game will crash. My first corrupted files needed to be loaded in halfway through the prologue, but there's no guarantees that passing the prologue means that all your files are in working order.

Yeah, I got lucky and got pretty much all my files in order with the first redownload, except for the launcher for some reason, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

oneils

Been 48 hours since I sent my ticket to rockstar support and no reply. I guess that is to be expected since about a million or more copies were sold in less than a week.

Still can't get the launcher to work and no workarounds (including those in the OP) work. Doh.

Thanks for letting me vent gaf! Gonna play some more warband now - been having a blast with that.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ok so what the fuck is going on? The steam pages re blowing up and I am genuinely fucking pissed right now.

I spent half a day downloading 60gigs, paid $60 to buy this game and all I have to show for it is the title in my library.

I hit play and NOTHING. Apparently this is a BIG problem and Rockstar claims that admin names need to have certain characters. Ok, sounds good, except my name has ONLY those character. So what the fuck now!!!?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I can't launch GTA5 with Anti-Virus on, so if it crash when you try launching it on steam, disable any anti-virus you have on.

actually for many ppl this is why they like consoles. They just dont like the hassle. you would be suprised how many ppl just want a press button and works experience. (and yes patches etc but but console gaming is still way simpler)

We have gaffers who can't play gt6 at all (error during patching process), but because they are on a console there is NO fix or workaround for them

And when shit like skyrim on ps3 happens you're boned as well.

I couldn't download any demos from psn for a year, because the psn belgian psn store crashed ps3s for that long, no fix there either.

I use youtube now and then on my ps3 to watch dota, pressing fast forward right as it's trying to load an ad will hard lock the system, followed by a hdd corruption check each and every time. Waiting for a fix

When bad shit happens on pc you can fix it, it's a major advantage over consoles

Btw rockstar and their shitty social club drm are an anomaly, I've had no more issues on my pc than on my consoles, and I have a Loooooooot more games on my pc.

nkarafo

I think i remember that there were issues on the consoles as well..?
And the difference between console issues and PC issues is that you can't troubleshoot the console issues yourself, like how you can on the PC. If a console game has a bug or a glitch or something that is bothering you, you have to wait for developers to fix it, if they ever do. On PC most of the times you can fix issues yourself, or with the help of a forum, or find a community patch if the developers won't bother.

PC gaming at it's finest.
Sometimes, in order to have the best gaming experience, it requires a bit more effort on your part (some trouble shooting) but in the end it's worth it. I still prefer wasting one extra day or two on troubleshooting and play the best version of any game than restrict myself to a sub 30fps version with lower graphics quality just because it "works out of the box".

And even on consoles sometimes you get bugs and glitches that, unlike the PC versions, you can't fiddle with them and troubleshoot yourself even if you want to. You just have to wait for the next 20GB patch to download through your shitty 6mbps connection (like some people do). So, "console gaming at it's finest" then?

Jonm1010

Banned
And the difference between console issues and PC issues is that you can't troubleshoot the console issues yourself, like how you can on the PC.

Sometimes, in order to have the best gaming experience, it requires a bit more effort on your part (some trouble shooting) but in the end it's worth it. I still prefer wasting one extra day or two on troubleshooting and play the best version of any game than restrict myself to a sub 30fps version with lower graphics quality just because it "works out of the box".

And even on consoles sometimes you get bugs and glitches that, unlike the PC versions, you can't fiddle with them and troubleshoot yourself even if you want to. You just have to wait for the next 20GB patch to download through your shitty 6mbps connection. So, "console gaming at it's finest" then?

This isn't an excuse. You know what should allow me to have the superior game? Spending twice as much on my PC as I did on PS4.

I honestly would gladly punch the entire staff of this port right now if they were in front of me.

They will gladly take $60 of my money and release a product that doesnt work for significant number of people.

Fuck that bullshit excuse. PC is not an excuse to fuck over your customers just to get the product you charged them for to actually function like you promised them it would.

nkarafo

I honestly would gladly punch the entire staff of this port right now if they were in front of me.

They will gladly take $60 of my money and release a product that doesnt work for significant number of people.

Fuck that bullshit excuse. PC is not an excuse to fuck over your customers just to get the product you charged them for to actually function like you promised them it would.
I don't disagree but i'm pretty sure that, in most cases, the problem is with the setup and not just the port. Like, every time a PC game won't work on one of my friends computers, i fix it for them 99% of the time. The only time when i couldn't fix a game was because my 7 year old XP setup was, well, old and messy and i couldn't make Portal 2 work, but i still fixed it with a fresh Windows install.

Thus all these games did actually work with those setups all this time. Which means that if i had accused the developer, i would be wrong in the end.

You know what should allow me to have the superior game? Spending twice as much on my PC as I did on PS4.
Well, you don't pay more for a PC just so you can have better graphics. A PC is a tool that allows you to do productive tasks as well as anything media related. Then you have backwards compatibility, emulators, DosBox, virtual machines, etc that add a lot of value to an open platform like a PC, even if you use it for games only.

Also, i don't think that you need to spend twice as much to get a superior than a console PC setup anymore.

Ziffles

I can only wonder how many layers of DRM they have crammed into this game, and how many of these problems would be alleviated by getting rid of them.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't disagree but i'm pretty sure that, in most cases, the problem is with the setup and not just the port. Like, every time a PC game won't work on one of my friends computers, i fix it for them 99% of the time. The only time when i couldn't fix a game was because my 7 year old XP setup was, well, old and messy and i couldn't make Portal 2 work, but i still fixed it with a fresh Windows install.

Thus all these games did actually work with those setups all this time. Which means that if i had accused the developer, i would be wrong in the end.

Well, you don't pay more for a PC just so you can have better graphics. A PC is a tool that allows you to do productive tasks as well as anything media related. Then you have backwards compatibility, emulators, DosBox, virtual machines, etc that add a lot of value to an open platform like a PC, even if you use it for games only.

Also, i don't think that you need to spend twice as much to get a superior than a console PC setup anymore.
There are currently nearly 4000 comments from people on Steam complaining of this EXACT issue. This is not simply a case of a few isolated people having problems not keeping their PC clean or whatever crap you are trying to shovel blame at instead of Rockstar.

If you are interested in making excuses for Rockstar about something you have no fucking clue about the cause of then do me a favor and don't quote me again. You are wasting my time and just increasing my anger and frustration.

Jonm1010

Banned
There's a patch coming tomorrow regarding special characters. Maybe it'll fix some problems up for some of you guys?
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204772198

Which if the forums are to be believed is a separate issue from the launch problem where if I press play nothing happens.

My username does not contain unusual characters and to be sure i went and created a new username like suggested and it didn't work.

I have a very strong suspicion my game will not be working tomorrow either.

I have no internet until next week because I moved, so I installed the 7 DVDs and used mobile phone tethering for the 50mb patch just to see that the game needs a 5GB patch before you can play it or start the offline mode. WTF Rockstar...

fokkusu

I have no internet until next week because I moved, so I installed the 7 DVDs and used mobile phone tethering for the 50mb patch just to see that the game needs a 5GB patch before you can play it or start the offline mode. WTF Rockstar...

Little side note: I had this same feeling when Half-life 2 was released back in the day and had only 56k modem :)

KHlover

Banned
Had to run Steam's file integrity check and redownload 5GB yestetday since the game crashed after the prologue. Literally never had corrupted game files before, but considering Steam servers ran like crap when I downloaded the game I'm not too suprised. All is well now, though.

Played ~8h yesterday and the game is a blast :D

After todays patch I get "Social Club failed to load due to an incomplete installation. Please exit the game and re-install the latest version of the Social Club."

So I download the newest version of social club from their link, and it gives me version 1.1.5.6. It tells me that I need a newer version (1.1.5.8). I manage to modify their download link to grab that version. I install, start GTAV and get the same god damn message.

Why does this DRM shit need to fight so hard to keep honest people out of their good damn game?

I also fried the harddrive where my install files for the game is, so I guess I'm redownloading 60GB.

Thank god I got it from gamesplanet so I get full download speed and integrity check at least.

Jonm1010

Banned
Now I get a notice saying my code has already been activated. This is a fucking joke. It really is.

It reminds me why I never buy early PC releases of games on PC except for very few exceptions. Rockstar has made me realize that unless this gets sorted out fast I will only be buying used or at bargain bin prices in the future when it comes to their company.

This shit shouldn't be rewarded and gamers as a whole swallow it religiously without protest.

Engell

The only problem i have now is that the newest nvidia driver(350.12) prevents me from rendering GTA V in 4k/2k scaled down to my 1080p screen on my 970gtx, the option is gone :-(

oneils

Thought I would cross-post here in case it helps someone:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160727797&postcount=4222

So, uh I fixed my gta v launcher issues.

It was always crashing and I was never able to start the game.

I read an off-hand comment by another user on the Rockstar Support community website. He mentioned that social club is finicky about the location of your "my documents" folder.

I have "my documents" set to another partition other than the system partition or the default position.

I restored my documents folder to its original location in C:users\username\my documents (or something like that), restarted the computer, verified my game cache in steam and started the game.

The game worked.

Can't believe this. I really hope it was something else that fixed the game. Rockstar support itself was kind of useless. I wonder if anyone actually reads the documentation that they ask you to provide (dxdiag and msinfo)?

This might seem like my problem right here. Can't get the game to run on my main profile with custom documents folder, but it runs fine on another profile that is unmodified.

Strange thing though, before my recent hardware crash the game would work fine even with the different document folder. But I'll try moving it to the standard dir and report back.

chaosaeon

- The BEX64 error (a crash ocurring in the Rockstar Launcher) seems to be related to some problem with special characters in the windows account username, the current workaround is to create another account with an alphanumeric name and reinstall the game in there.

I swear some PC errors are the most random things. Some of them are just such obscure and random quirks that I wonder how they even happen and how people even figure them out.

LilJoka

The only problem i have now is that the newest nvidia driver(350.12) prevents me from rendering GTA V in 4k/2k scaled down to my 1080p screen on my 970gtx, the option is gone :-(

Go into the Nvidia control panel, recheck the DSR ratios. They got unchecked after the update.

I swear some PC errors are the most random things. Some of them are just such obscure and random quirks that I wonder how they even happen and how people even figure them out.

The non-standard character in username and computer name isn't really that random or obscure. It's something you should test your software for of course, but sys admins will actively avoid using special characters in these names because there is always some software that can't handle it.

Jawmuncher

Glad to see the launcher was patched. Tried my GTA Online shortcut out of desperation and the update fixed the launcher crash I was having.

Engell

Go into the Nvidia control panel, recheck the DSR ratios. They got unchecked after the update.

thnx that fixed it, weird that they suddenly disable this in the global settings, the option to enable it wasn't even available in the Geforce experience program.
Also strange that it isn't available on the individual profiles

Zatoth

Finally found a solution for my problem that seems to work. Could not even get to the launcher, because it crashed before I saw it.

I am using a GTX 970. Tried the workaround to disable/enable the GPU in the device manager. But that did not help. I have an onboard GPU, but it was not enabled. So it did not show up in the device manager.

Had to enable the onboard GPU via Bios and now I can start the game without any problems. Hope it stays that way.

fwoibles

Baffles me a lot of times. "For a electric piece that only counts 1s and 0s you're awfully shit at it." I know there's a metric fuckton more behind it but if your computer restarts randomly at the windows bootscreen without any apparent reason you lose faith quickly.

Thought I would cross-post here in case it helps someone:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160727797&postcount=4222

This fixed my issue. Finally I can play on my main profile. Copying over savegames from the temp profile worked flawlessly as well.

That being said, Rockstar should get their crack PC optimizing team working on that launcher immediately. The fact that people need to jump through all these hoops to get an otherwise functioning game running is ridiculous.

Top Bottom