• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii was such a good console.

Danchi

I played a lot of goods games on the system, but not very many that I'd call "great."

Overall, I'd say I preferred its library to the N64 or the Gamecube though.

Haganeren

360 is with the PS2 the best console to get most of Cave's portfolio for example.
Unique enough for me.

Also

Well.... Pfff... I don't know, i liked Cave and bough several games from them on 360 with pleasure but after a while they seemed to do always the same kind of shmup.

Of course, the Wii can't compete (Mainly because of the XBLA to be honest).... But i still really liked Shikigami No Shiro III on the system... Which is another game people tend to forget, they even had those shmup from the Dreamcast that i still need to play ! They seems cools !

Ivan

I didn't like the concept as a whole. It was the first time I had a feeling that Nintendo is alien and disconnected.

helped you out a little bit there. Please lets not assume that more powerful hardware means a game will be better overall... this is not the case and has never been. But usually it will always look better which is what a lot of developers want (not that its a bad thing for a game to look good).

Uh what? You couldnt get gtav and red dead on ps2/gc they would be a totally different experiance, witcher 3 and battlefront, and even cod, better hardware can make games better, and for the most part it does, of course not all games take advantage of this.

Mael

My bad, I thought the original Wii needed an adapter like the original Xbox 360. However...

Actually like WiiU you need an adapter if you want to use a rj45 cable lol, literally the opposite of the 360.
Wii was thought in a way to stop being in the way so it cut cords everywhere it could.
If they could have made the chucks wireless with the wiimote without downsides they would have done it even.

You didn't address my point, you just explained why they made the decision. You can explain why a budget phone doesn't have the same specs and the same features as a cutting edge phone, but if we are comparing them the lack of power and the lack of features is a negative in the discussion. I know why the Wii was a weak console, and it worked for Nintendo, but when comparing games on the Wii to PS3 and Xbox 360 that is still a criticism of the console.
This is a just a difference of values.
Wii doesn't emphasize power like ps3/360 and even WiiU.
Being weaker is not a lack of feature, it is a distinctive change in values.
For people (like me) who couldn't give any less of a shit about how close we get to photorealism, power and polycount are not high on the priority list.
It's nice to have but in no way does it make for better games.
Most of the games I've played on the HD twins controlled badly (especially compared to their Wii counterparts despite bieng lower priorities games) and weren't that enjoyable.
For all the accolades Uncharted gets, it usually controls like a standard 3rd party shooter on these consoles. that may not bother you but it's one of the reason why some of us look back more fondly on our Wiis than on our ps3s.

Interesting subject because I found some Wii for less than 30£ and I’m really interested in as the model that I want got the GC backward compatibility.
I also did not play mostly of the good Wii games so I think it’s a pretty good deal but I’m not totally sure if I should go for it because even if I’m not that much in the graphics I’m a bit scared that the 480p resolution can be too much visible on my 1080p.

Any advice? Is it worth even on an HD TV? Any games in particular to recommend? Is it hard to find Wii games, Wii

The problem with Wii is that I don't think there's a way to not make it look like putrid shit on an HD tv :/
For Wii games, I'd recommend the Galaxy games, Zelda Tp on GC (hey bc is there after all), Metroid Prime trilogy but you're better served getting that on WiiU(less expensive to get).
the Trauma center games are awesome on it, endless ocean if you prefer more contemplative games.
Actually if you gave the type of games you like, it would be easier.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If you're a gamer, you should be extremely happy the Wii exists. Without it a lot of games wouldn't have existed, and I'm talking about third parties. Still blow my mind people would rather have a beefed up console just to get the same games as the other systems. For example, if the Wii was pa3/360 level, we'd have gotten a port of dead space instead of the original dead space extraction.

And other games like trauma series, Zack and wiki, little king story, de blob, fragile dreams etc wouldn't have existed. Doesn't matter if you think they're shit or they flopped, we got more games from the wii situation and as gamer you gotta be happy for the options
This is straight up the smartest shit I've seen you say

mindsale

Would've been amazing if I were 5 or 6 when it debuted and I were introduced to characters and franchises with Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy through those magical, beautiful games, and I didn't mind the tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl because I didn't know any better, and I genuinely enjoyed Metroid Other M as a competent, unique action-adventure game because I didn't know Samus Aran had once been self-sufficient and badass. Skyward Sword would've been a fun release and I wouldn't've minded its imprecision with my patient, doe-eyed wonder at playing AS the swordsman, not knowing it had once been a very precise, demanding series, where you didn't start with 6 hearts because the game knew how bad the controls were and didn't want your death to be due to the lacking controls.

Unfortunately, I was 20 when the Wii launched.

Mael

Would've been amazing if I were 5 or 6 when it debuted and I were introduced to characters and franchises with Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy through those magical, beautiful games, and I didn't mind the tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl because I didn't know any better, and I genuinely enjoyed Metroid Other M as a competent, unique action-adventure game because I didn't know Samus Aran had once been self-sufficient and badass. Skyward Sword would've been a fun release and I wouldn't've minded its imprecision with my patient, doe-eyed wonder at playing AS the swordsman, not knowing it had once been a very precise, demanding series, where you didn't start with 6 hearts because the game knew how bad the controls were and didn't want your death to be due to the lacking controls.

Seriously that's doesn't even begin to explain why Other M was so bad.
And Zelda haven't been demanding since the NES era,
heck Skyward Sword is a more demanding game than Twilight Princess or Wind Waker regardless of controls that's for sure.

I agree, the Wii was a really good system. I really liked the Wii remote controls except for some games. It was also good to turn your non-gamer friends into gamers.

Interesting subject because I found some Wii for less than 30£ and I’m really interested in as the model that I want got the GC backward compatibility.
I also did not play mostly of the good Wii games so I think it’s a pretty good deal but I’m not totally sure if I should go for it because even if I’m not that much in the graphics I’m a bit scared that the 480p resolution can be too much visible on my 1080p.

Any advice? Is it worth even on an HD TV? Any games in particular to recommend? Is it hard to find Wii games, Wii

It's worth putting it on a HD-TV, look for a component cable to hook it up and it will amaze you how good 480p can look. As far as games go with the staples, Zelda, Mario and my personal favorite "Metroid Trilogy."

KevinCow

Banned

So the Wii only had 5 games?

not knowing it had once been a very precise, demanding series, where you didn't start with 6 hearts because the game knew how bad the controls were and didn't want your death to be due to the lacking controls.

To be fair, compared to TP enemies in SS tend to do more damage (full- or half-heart vs quarter-heart), so that six hearts doesn't really go quite as far as the three starting ones from TP.

mindsale

So the Wii only had 5 games?

It had a ton of games. I'll concede that. Most of them are called shovelware.

For the dominant platform of last gen, it only has 7 original titles with a Metascore of 90 or above. I listed 5 of them in my post.

If you still had a twinkle in your eye and no carpal tunnel in your wrist, the Wii was great. I'll admit that.

KevinCow

Banned
It had a ton of games. I'll concede that. Most of them are called shovelware.

Most of the PS2 and PS1 libraries are shovelware, but I don't see anyone declaring those consoles garbage because of that.

For the dominant platform of last gen, it only has 7 original titles with a Metascore of 90 or above. I listed 5 of them in my post.

So only games with a Metascore of 90 or above count?

Edit: Also, Other M certainly does not have a 90+ Metascore.

Edit 2: And the Wii has 14 90+ games on Metacritic. Why don't multiplatform games count? Do you hold non-Nintendo consoles to the same standard? The Xbox 360 only has 6 exclusive 90+ games, and they're all Halo, Gears, and Forza. What's your opinion on that?

If you still had a twinkle in your eye and no carpal tunnel in your wrist, the Wii was great. I'll admit that.

"If you're not as old and experienced as I am, you might have enjoyed the Wii."

That's more than a little bit condescending.

The console just doesn't sit right with me at all. I enjoyed the smaller titles like zach and wiki and others but I was let down by so many of the major titles. And I just didn't like the overall interface or experience playing games on the system.

It had some good ideas but it was for me, overall the worst time to be a Nintendo fan in my life.

This year sucks as well.. But I've enjoyed the last three years of WiiU significantly more than the 6 years with the Wii. WiiU has been better for me in almost every way. Nintendo is still backwards in a lot of ways with how the WiiU is handled but it atleast offers a more competitive "experience" this time in regards towards its competitors. I've had more fun playing online with splatoon, smash and Mario kart than anything on my ps4.. And the games look great on my TV, even if the system itself isn't nearly as powerful as the ps4 I don't feel like it matters really.

With last gen, ms and Sony where doing all this great stuff. Where as the Wii, I was buying games new for $50 that felt and looked ancient in comparison a vast majority of the time.

Even when I was having fun all I could think about was how much better the games would be if the hardware was a little better and the online functioned at all

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You're listing a lot of ancient platforms that most of us probably played the hell out of back in the day. That's moving the goalposts a bit. For just the Wii library, no, I don't think it compared favorably to the competition. And in terms of library + functionality, including graphics, online services, content delivery, etc. the Wii was the worst console of its generation by a significant margin, in my opinion.

The Virtual Console was pretty damn impressive, not only for having the obvious hits, but also a lot of obscure and niche titles that never got their due back in the day. I highly doubt most of us were playing stuff like MUSHA, Sin and Punishment, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Monster World IV (in English!), Alien Soldier, the Turbo Grafx, the Neo Geo, etc back in the day...

One of my biggest disappointments with Nintendo is the way they are handling the VC. It started pretty strong, but slowly petered out. The small internal SD card meant you couldn't download a lot of games and would have to constantly delete and shuffle back and forth to the Wii Shop to make room. Nintendo finally offered a way to boot VC games off of the external SD card, but it was extremely slow as it required the game to be copied from the external SD to a buffer space on the internal SD, and you were still only allowed to have 40 pages of channels (which, if you bought every game on the VC, and some WiiWare, you'd probably run out of room). Then, the 3DS was released with its own VC, separate from the Wii VC, and the Wii U had yet its own VC, with a differing library of games (though you can use the system's special "Wii mode" and transfer your old Wii games to use on there). I'm hoping that they eventually straighten this out, since retro game fever is at an all-time high and Nintendo is uniquely poised to dominate with this.

Also, nobody ever mentions Cubello in this thread :( Such a fun little puzzler that used the IR sensor to great aplomb. WiiWare had some hidden gems on it like this and the Rebirth titles.

I bought a Wii just this year and I'm kinda blown away at how many games I want to play. As someone who didn't own the console at the time, suffering the droughts in realtime, the Wii has a massively impressive library.

Sadist

The Wii had 14 whole titles scored 90 or above? Playstation 3 had 49. The 360 had 54.
Please don't do this. You're telling me what "critics" think. But what do you think? Metacritic and Gamerankings won't tell you the real story. Metacritic told me Mass Effect 2 (just an example) was a great game, but after completing it I found it to be okay-ish at best. Nothing wrong with that, but this tells me that "scores" are a very lazy form of discussing or dismissing a console's library.

OT

Honestly, thinking back about last gen (I've been playing some PS3 exclusive titles I've missed) and all the games I've played on Wii, PC and PS3... with every passing year I'm appreciating the Wii more and more. Looking at my library of last gen's "tripple A" titles I currently own and looking back at my collection of 67 Wii games it's astounding at how diverse it's games were. Wouldn't want to miss it for the world.

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll post my list of Wii games;

Wii Sports
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Excite Truck
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Disaster Day of Crisis
NPC! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin & Punishment Successor to the Skies
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid Other M
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
The Last Story

As for third party...

Alone in the Dark
Boom Blox
A Boy and his Blob
Bully Scholarship Edition
De Blob
Dead Rising: Chop Till' You Drop
Dead Space Extraction
Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Epic Mickey
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Final Fantasy The Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers
Ghost Squad
Ghostbusters: the Videogame
Goldeneye 007
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Guitar Hero World Tour
Guitar Hero Metallica
Guitar Hero 5
The House of the Dead Overkill
Klonoa
Lego Batman
MadWorld
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle
Opoona
Okami
Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 Playmaker
Project Zero II Wii Edition
Rabbids Go Home
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Resident Evil the Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil the Darkside Chronicles
Rockstar Presents Table Tennis
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Spider-Man Shattered Dimenions
SSX Blur
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom All-Stars
Trauma Center: New Blood
We Love Golf!
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbados' Treasure

Oh great list wars! No man, look; out of this enormous list of games I only bolded four games. Those are the only four which I didn't care for and I somewhat regret it that I got those games. I found Red Steel way too unpolished, Sonic to be terrible after two worlds. Alone in the Dark had my morbid curiousity because the SE was only € 8 (hehe) and Crystal Bearers... yeah still don't know what happened there. They could have made a great action adventure game set in the FF world. Shame.

Everything else on the list... varies from good to fantastic. They might not have enormous budgets, but games like Zack and Wiki or House of the Dead Overkill still are one my favourite games of the past genereation. Or Silent Hill. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Hell, I forgot that I own Trauma Center New Blood. That's one great game. Wii's library is weird, surprising, diverse and doesn't always the recognition it absolutely deserves.

Anth0ny

And the cycle continues.

2001 - "The Gamecube sucks!!! no third party support, controller is crappy, its kiddie!!!"
2007 - "The Gamecube was perhaps the best console that Nintendo made!!! It had a lot of awesome first party games, the controller is amazing for smash bros. it was a great generation!!"

2006 - "The Wii sucks!!! no third party support, I hate motion controls, its kiddie!!! and lolTheName"
2013-15 - "The WiI was an amazing console. It had great first party games!!!"

2012 - "The Wii U sucks!!! They lost third party support, sales are failing, gimmicky and crappy gamepad controller, worst console ever made!!!
2017? - "The Wii U was a great console. Sales were failing but it had great first party games, and the gamepad controller was very unique!!"

lol fuck this shit

gamecube was always rad, wii always sucked (well actually when brawl disappointed it was all downhill from there, 2007 had galaxy), and I'll admit the wii u was booty during launch year but as soon as pikmin 3, 3d world and wonderful 101 dropped it was hit after hit on that thing. by the end of 2014 I knew it had a great library that I will be coming back to for years to come... unlike the wii.

I'm seeing a lot of people in this thread who dislike the Wii and don't seem to have really given it a chance. Lots of "waggle" and "shovelware" comments when in actual fact there are dozens of fantastic Wii games that don't even use waggle controls. I made an improvised list of games in the OP that many people have built upon in replies. There's a lot of people here who have 30+ games that love the system and then those that hate it seem to have less than 5. I guess it's easy to dislike an underpowered popular system but all I see when I look at the way is a bunch of awesome games.

I also loved the PS3 and Xbox 360 in their own right. 360 had a bunch of awesome shmups, best place for multiplatform games and Halo mothertrucking 3. PS3 had some great JRPGs, brilliant niche games that we wouldn't see on 360 and some pretty great first party stuff. Power is generally irrelevent when we judge a system on their games.

Skyward Sword would've been a fun release and I wouldn't've minded its imprecision with my patient, doe-eyed wonder at playing AS the swordsman, not knowing it had once been a very precise, demanding series, where you didn't start with 6 hearts because the game knew how bad the controls were and didn't want your death to be due to the lacking controls.

Uhhh Skyward Sword starts you with 6 hearts because they changed the combat so that even a simple bat takes off a full heart rather than the 1/4 heart bullshit that made TP so laughably easy (I did a 3 heart run in TP and burnt my shield as soon as I could and still found it too easy...).

SS is my second favourite Zelda behind OoT.

marmoka

Banned
I won't say the Wii was the best console of the Last Generations. But the following games show how great this console was:

super-mario-galaxy-21.jpg

i_19731.jpg

sonic-colours1_1765451c.jpg

donkey_kong_country_returns-1434696.jpg

Yes!! The Wii was such a great console!!

Osahi

Great line up. Lots of games were fucked up by motion controls though. Main reason i never finished skyward sword for instance. I hated the wiimote for play sessions longer than half an hour.

nilbog21

Banned
I think it's safe to say the wii is hands down the worst console released by the big 4 in the last 20 yrs.

Terrible controller. Terrible games. Galaxy was very good, however

I fucking loved the SHIT out of Excite Trucks. That game is instantly and eternally replayable and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
Amen, way too little EXCITE in the OP.

Wii is without doubt my favourite home console and the one I got the most fun out of, from SNES to today.

Nights was low-effort trash... there were lots of much better 3rd party games that flew in under the radar, though.
Well shit. I guess Sega just couldn't get it right at the beginning of the generation.

The virtua tennis game was good though. Demo wise.

lol fuck this shit

gamecube was always rad, wii always sucked (well actually when brawl disappointed it was all downhill from there, 2007 had galaxy), and I'll admit the wii u was booty during launch year but as soon as pikmin 3, 3d world and wonderful 101 dropped it was hit after hit on that thing. by the end of 2014 I knew it had a great library that I will be coming back to for years to come... unlike the wii.

I think the Wii's library is way better than the WiiU's. I love my WiiU too.

Rocky

Banned
I think the Wii's library is way better than the WiiU's. I love my WiiU too.

I think the Gamecube library is better than both of them combined. I don't think WiiU games are amazing at all, if anything, I thought they were worse than the Wii versions of their series. Definitely not buying an NX at launch.

D.Lo

Excite Truck was a genuine sleeper classic.

Serviceable graphics etc, but it had a core of pure gameplay gold, and plenty of challenges to do. It's like God Hand in that way.

Unbelievable they fucked it up so much in the sequel with shit presentation and gimmicks.

leroidys

When considering the Wii, it goes from just OK without the VC, to OMGAMAZING with the vc. Getting great ports of Last Blade 2, Alien Soldier, Sin & Punishment, Ogre Battle 64, Chrono Trigger, TG16 games, etc. was fucking amazing.

AppleBlade

The Wii was a very memorable experience and is a system I will always vividly remember. I remember launch day like it was yesterday. I don't remember the day I purchased a PS 3 or 360 at all. I will never forget playing Wii Sports with the whole family. Most of my favorite games last gen were PS3/360 but nothing made me feel like a giddy kid like the Wii.

hatchx

Banned
The wii had some bad years. I remember losing interest after Brawl hit in 2008, and not really playing it a lot afterwards.

But holy hell was 2010 an epic year for Wii,

Red Steel 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Metroid Other M, and 3rd party early exclusives like Goldeneye, Epic Mickey, and NBA Jam.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I owned one and played only Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword. Started Mario Galaxy but never finished.

Three games in its lifetime. Three.

It was the worst ever. No HD made it horrible for me.

Celine

Nights was low-effort trash... there were lots of much better 3rd party games that flew in under the radar, though.
NiGHTS JoD is a game with uneven qualities hurt by unnecessary padding segments (with different degree of quality) and story elements (not every cutscene is skippable argh).
The core NiGHTS gameplay (flying sections and bosses) are quite good.
The good news is once beat the padding sections you can choose to never replay them again and just replay the best parts for score attack.
Yes, they've changed the score system but it's not bad per se, it's just different.
I agree that the game should have been polished more.

Fans of the original game should give the sequel a chance at least.

Arttemis

Not a good console in my eyes. Twilight Princess was better on the GameCube. Brawl with its floaty physics and tripping was bad enough to push me back to Melee.

The two exclusives that were worth playing were Skyward Sword, which had a list of faults, and House of the Dead Returns.

No other light-gun game I played on the Wii had the ability to retain controller accuracy like HotD:R. I played the game with reticules disabled and was able to consistently land headshots from across the living room. Overkill wasn't as consistent. RE was no where close. I even purchased a Playstation Move set with the Sharpshooter and nearly every lightgun game available, but Move was miles below the Wiimote in precision and responsiveness.

HotD:Returns was the closest thing to having a lightgun arcade in my living room, and it almost makes me want to hook up a IR bar to my entertainment center just so I can play it via the WiiU.

I owned one and played only Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword. Started Mario Galaxy but never finished.

Three games in its lifetime. Three.

It was the worst ever. No HD made it horrible for me.

Lighten up and play House of the Dead Overkill. Then come back and tell me it's not awesome

Sapiens

Great Wario game, awesome Mario Galaxy games, Wii Fit, Sin & Punishment, Skyward Sword (which is incredible).

I had a lot of fun with it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I meant to respond to this topic earlier, but I knew when the Wii was coming to a close those who like niche quirky but interesting & unique titles would remember it fondly. Wii had a lot of shovelware, but between that there were legitimately great but often overlooked games, it being a lot cheaper to develop for and a bigger potential audience let more creative and different games come into existence.

The biggest problem with the Wii was that it couldn't output at 1080p. I don't care that it wasn't HD image quality, but the required upscaling from 480 meant that it suffered much worse input lag on HDTVs than the other consoles of its generation.
Yeah, that was a strange omission considering the OXB and PS2 could output 1080i

Top Bottom