• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Kiyoshi

I hope people don't overreact here. Someone has already posted the link to their previous statement about avoiding paid DLC - alongside a 'funny' gif. I don't think it is like that.

They're against day-one DLC and small chargeable bite-sized content; and all they're doing here is announcing sizable expansions - and that's fine in my book. There's clearly a difference.

Gurthang

Banned
I'm okay with this. Bioware has been releasing crappy 15$ DLCs for years. I'm sure these expansions will have a lot of content. But I think they should have waited after the release of the game.

tuxfool

Banned
And another game goes to the "wait for everything to be under $20/GOTY edition"

Its a shame too, these guys will likely make a great game for $60, but I don't support this dlc bullshit anymore after being burned so many times.

Better this than calling it the Witcher 4, which would be the usual MO for such large expansions.

Skelter

Banned
So...

What happened to free DLCs?

Still there.

GvhCU32.jpg

Holy shit

I hope I'll like The Witcher 3. It looks beautiful, but I couldn't get into The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings because of its difficulty and the fact that you had to plan before battle/couldn't use potions during.

dex3108

In my opinion this could be nice August - September announcement. But no they needed to announce it befor game released.

RK9039

Not sure why people are so surprised by this, they always said the expansions with large content wouldn't be free. The small DLC stuff is free.

ironcreed

Banned
They are already giving out a bunch of free DLC of the type that we usually have to pay for. Do you really expect them to make two huge expansions (the kind we rarely ever get anymore) and not charge for them? I tell you what. If this already massive game turns out to be half as good as it looks, then I will have zero problems paying for some good old meaty expansions in order to have even more to enjoy.

JP

Not sure if I'll be buying it but I'm not seeing anything here that contradicts what they've said all along. No issues with this, I'll decide after I've played the game for a while whether I need the extra stuff and whether it's worth the asking price to me.

Alucrid

Banned
i don't get why people are so averse to calling this dlc. it's dlc. do i download it? is it content? it's dlc. it's probably the better, more worthwhile sort of dlc, but it's dlc.

McDougles

Another case of controversy that could have been avoided if people learned how to read more than headlines.

Perhaps it is CD Projekt RED's fault for placing too much faith in the reading comprehension of the average North American. Which is sad, considering the studio is based in Poland.

Damerman

It's a sad day when some gamers don't even know what expansions are anymore. DLC desensitization ahoy!

this... expansions were always something you could look forward to as it would try to right the wrongs that the initial release had.

SRTtoZ

For what its worth Destiny's downloadable content was also labeled as "Expansions".

I'm taking this with a huge ass grain of salt.

Which was a joke. It was a way for Bungie to charge more for less content by calling it an expansion rather than DLC.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't really care that they're charging for an expansion pack.

The no-no is them announcing an expansion pack before the game is even out.

Look guys Skyrim added some great expansions/DLCs and I didn't find anything wrong with them. I think this will be more like Dawnguard and Dragonborne DLC

dex3108

Not sure why people are so surprised by this, they always said the expansions with large content wouldn't be free. The small DLC stuff is free.

I knew that they will release paid expansions but i was surprised that they announced Expansion Pass before game was released. They should wait.

Vire

I think this is a pretty cool attitude to have:

CDProjekt said:
“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

Basically saying, we know our shit is going to be awesome, just wait till the reviews.. You'll see.

boskee

Jesus Christ on a stick, so many people who equate DLC with full blown expansion packs that add new world regions. CDPR said times and times again that they'd absolutely charge for that kind of expansion packs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Also, I'm taking those 20 hour and 10 hour length comments with a huge grain of salt. Those are the lengths of entire full priced games there. Unless I time traveled back to the 90s/00s.

If you can announce these so far in advance, you can announce how much you will charge me for these expansions as well CDP.

Sou Da

Another case of controversy that could have been avoided if people learned how to read more than headlines.

Perhaps it is CD Projekt RED's fault for placing too much faith in the reading comprehension of the average North American. Which is sad, considering the studio is based in Poland.

The European Superiority complex is the new Godwin's law.

KoopaTheCasual

It's amazing how much controversy you can avoid if you just call patches "DLC", and call DLC "expansions".

Smart marketing.
i don't get why people are so averse to calling this dlc. it's dlc. do i download it? is it content? it's dlc. it's probably the better, more worthwhile sort of dlc, but it's dlc.
Basically this.

zkorejo

They lied.

No they didn't. I remember an interview I watched last year where they said they had not planned anything but when/if they announce paid DLC, the amount of content in it will be worth it.

16 free DLC promised by CDPR is another thing that they have promised to give to players each week after the game releases, I doubt that has changed unless they announce otherwise.

They never said "There will be no DLC Expansion packs in the future" or "every piece of DLC ever created for the game will be for free". Or atleast I dont remember reading it anywhere.

Orca

Do people really not understand the difference between typical DLC and an actual expansion?

It just reeks of the "all DLC free" being just a PR driven shot at being GoodGuy, taking a shot at other developers...no mention of doing expansions at the time.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I don't really care that they're charging for an expansion pack.

The no-no is them announcing an expansion pack before the game is even out.

Nothing new these days. At least hardcore fans of the series know beforehand that the game is getting DLC support post launch.

As for them lying:

Well it all depends on how different you think the term DLC differs from Expansion DLC.... kinda a buzzword, "Expansion" - brilliant marketing if you ask me. Seems like people do consider it a get-out-of-jail-free-card going by some posts here.

That's unfortunate. The previous dlc thread led me to believe they would be taking a stand against season passes. I was thinking about buying this at launch but now I think I'll just wait for the inevitable goty/definitive edition with all dlc included. I think that will be my strategy going forward. I'll be passing on games with season passes indefinitely.

Bloodborne did it right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DLC/expansion tomato/tomato. It's literally the exact same thing, simply referring to method of distribution. And as has always been from the start DLC/expansions are only as valuable as the content found within and pricing, which is always a case by case basis. There's amazing DLC, and there's abhorrent DLC, both with varying sizes and prices.

And so, assuming that I am satisfied with and enjoy The Witcher 3, I am happy to pay a reasonable price for sizable, enjoyable supplementing content.

Jhn

Jesus.
Phrasing, CDPR. Phrasing. Having this after the whole DLC outbursts they went on is just clumsy marketing.
While I can see their point in differentiating DLC and expansions, they must realize how some people will react to this?

I'm okay with this. Bioware has been releasing crappy 15$ DLCs for years. I'm sure these expansions will have a lot of content. But I think they should have waited after the release of the game.

Yeah. Bioware charges $15-20 for about 3-5 hours of content. That's why I usually wait for half-price DLC from them. Anyone know how long the Jaws DLC is for Dragon Age?

10 and 20 hour expansions are pretty meaty.

sam777

GAF is funny. The other day there was a thread that was begging for DLC to be included in Bloodborne and all the posts seemed positive. Now look at the reactions in here, just wow.

j-wood

Did no one in here read the press release?

For starters, the first expansion isn't coming out until the end of this year. That's not like a month after release.

Second, you're getting 30 HOURS OF NEW CONTENT. That's a legit expansion.

Petrae

It can't be that hard to wait a month or so after release to announce such things.

Indeed. At least wait until launch day to reveal this stuff. You're asking-- begging-- for a negative reaction when you announce stuff like this well in advance of release.

RK9039

I knew that they will release paid expansions but i was surprised that they announced Expansion Pass before game was released. They should wait.

Yeah I think it would have been better if they waited. Doesn't make too much difference in the end though considering they've been talking about the expansion for some time now.

GAF is funny. The other day there was a thread that was begging for DLC to be included in Bloodborne and all the posts seemed positive. Now look at the reactions in here, just wow.

Lmao, so true.

Top Bottom