• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

Between "what's on ___ store" and the game simply being titled "Witcher" it looks like the front page was laid out by a dog with a computer.

The green text comes up as voice commands when when your activate the kinect. I was commenting on the fact that all you have to say is witcher instead of having to say like "tomb raider definitive edition" or something so yeah.

Teknoman

I usually get the main story out of the way first before I jump into the side content. It's been like that for me with GTA and the Elder Scroll series. People could take a bit of personal responsibility and just ignore the side content and play through the main campaign. Most open world games are designed to have the main story done first and then side things.

I need to force myself to do so. JRPGs kinda restrain you to finishing the main quest and then tackling side stuff right before the final boss, but the quests are tuned for end game stuff.

I think thats my worry with WRPGs since they just give you quest freedom from go. The side stuff worth doing will be too easy if you want to redo them down the line. Or am I wrong?

CHC

The green text comes up as voice commands when when your activate the kinect. I was commenting on the fact that all you have to say is witcher instead of having to say like "tomb raider definitive edition" or something so yeah.

haha I get it, it's just really funny that all they gotta say is "Witcher" - like you said, well played on their part.

Well if Geralt is anything to go by, she'd probably be the woman that "men want to be with and women want to be". Geralt is both the greatest swordsman and the ultimate casanova, so I'm sure their portrayal of a female character would be just as charmingly sex-ed up yet badass.

I somehow doubt that they'll be populating the world with attractive men for Ciri to bang though.

Man, I just hope their quest navigation system is better this go-around. I recently gave up on the Witcher 2 because I simply could not navigate the second major town. Those who have played it know how confusing it is laid out. The waypoints would frequently lead nowhere, and I'd end up getting too frustrated to continue. Really sad that something that seems like such an easy fix could ruin the game for me.

I need to force myself to do so. JRPGs kinda restrain you to finishing the main quest and then tackling side stuff right before the final boss, but the quests are tuned for end game stuff.

I think thats my worry with WRPGs since they just give you quest freedom from go. The side stuff worth doing will be too easy if you want to redo them down the line. Or am I wrong?

Yep, and it seems like that's the case with The Witcher 3 as well. I guess it is a tough balancing act, you want people to do the sidequests in order to tackle the main quests, but in the WRPG sphere it has become pretty taboo to create such a difficult mission in the main quest that you are forced into sidquests. But you can't please everybody, if the main missions demanded you to finish the sidequests, some people would call it a grind and would be kind of right. Just try to finish the sidequests in the neighboring area of the current main quest, that is usually the way to go in WRPG.

Syrus

Banned
Purchase Date 
Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Total before Tax: $53.99
Tax: $0.00
----- 
Total for this order: $53.99

Item(s) 
The Witcher 3
Price: $53.99
Quantity: 1

Mmmmhmmmmm

I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

PC is cheaper, and I like using a mouse.

Ps4 has trophies and I like getting a physical version.

Will there be any significant differences between a 670 and i7 2700k vs the ps4? I feel like the experience will be largely the same.

I won this game in the steam thread last year during the summer sale.

I need to find the kind poster that modbot'd it to me and thank him/her again.

Time to look through my PMs....

antonz

I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

Will there be any significant differences between a 670 and i7 2700k vs the ps4? I feel like the experience will be largely the same.

GPU wise pretty similar but your cpu performance is of course massive.

erawsd

I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

You can get the boxed PC version and install GOG Galaxy for the achievements.

mitchlol

Game reviewed really well but I don't think it's for me... I'm not a huge fan of high fantasy games, I tried to like Dragon Age: Inquisition but it wasn't for me. Same goes for Skyrim looked great but didn't grab me. Witcher 3 looks pretty amazing but 100+ hour games are intimidating and I don't like the rising nature of "choose your own adventure" single player stories. I don't like choosing my dialogue response or knowing there are more than 1 ending. I want a story to be told to me without my input otherwise I always feel pulled out of the world because none of the answers are something I would have chosen.

If I was going to get this though I wouldn't get it on anything but PC, the animations look really dramatic and at 30fps on console I'd be worried it would feel a little clunky.

Ahh. That makes more sense why you feel that way. I haven't given any amount of serious time to a JRPG since I played FFVII on the PSX back during it's original release so I've forgotten how it's implied that you grind away most of the side content/enemies before tackling the bosses as usually they are too hard for a person just playing through the campaign first. I think with this(and most WRPG's) you can kind of just tackle things at your own pace and need not worry. I'm almost 100% sure you could theoretically start up Witcher 3 and only do the campaign from level 1, that you'll properly gain the amount of XP needed to handle the upcoming parts of the campaign.

My understanding is that you can out-level the enemies for a specific quest, but they still won't be a pushover to actually kill. But there are also a ton of actual quests to get so you could go to an area that is of appropriate level and just quest there. I think the enemies max out at level 50(not sure how "special/unique" enemies are handled) and Geralt himself maxes out at 60.

Lingitiz

I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

Your specs are more than enough to outperform a PS4. The main plus being any frame rate hitches likely won't be an issue on your PC.

I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

Your CPU overhead on the PC is substantially better than PS4 and you'll have a better performing game.

buffelo

Neo Member
I'm torn on ps4 vs PC.

You're not hitting the recommended pc specs, so I would wait to read a technical rundown before making a decision.

ufo8mycat

You're not hitting the recommended pc specs, so I would wait to read a technical rundown before making a decision.

Yeah I would wait. Even though your specs are higher then what is available in the PS4 doesn't necessarily mean it will perform/look a lot better, because remember the PS4 is a closed system and they can get the most out of it because of this

Though if I had t guess, PS4 like graphical settings with around 60fps

Steam? I love that it doesn't charge tax.

EDIT: at least in the US.

Aww man. Way to go. You just told the Government.

gOkmosb.gif

Never mind, I took care of it.

Yeah I would wait. Even though your specs are higher then what is available in the PS4 doesn't necessarily mean it will perform/look a lot better, because remember the PS4 is a closed system and they can get the most out of it because of this

Though if I had t guess, PS4 like graphical settings with around 60fps

This is what I figured too. Could probably run it at 60 with the right settings. Sad that my 670 is already getting behind the times..

Teknoman

Ahh. That makes more sense why you feel that way. I haven't given any amount of serious time to a JRPG since I played FFVII on the PSX back during it's original release so I've forgotten how it's implied that you grind away most of the side content/enemies before tackling the bosses as usually they are too hard for a person just playing through the campaign first. I think with this(and most WRPG's) you can kind of just tackle things at your own pace and need not worry. I'm almost 100% sure you could theoretically start up Witcher 3 and only do the campaign from level 1, that you'll properly gain the amount of XP needed to handle the upcoming parts of the campaign.

My understanding is that you can out-level the enemies for a specific quest, but they still won't be a pushover to actually kill. But there are also a ton of actual quests to get so you could go to an area that is of appropriate level and just quest there. I think the enemies max out at level 50(not sure how "special/unique" enemies are handled) and Geralt himself maxes out at 60.

Oh thats pretty cool then. I still need to work on forcing myself to think outside of what i'm used to as far as RPGs go though.

OmegaDL50

I just got a GoG Galaxy update. I can now view the entire list of The Witcher 3 achievements.

I don't know if there is anything spoiler centric there, but I just figure I give you a heads we might get our first GoG game with workable achievements in 5 days.

Kvik

I'm going on a mission to try and break the Aussie street date. I'm sure some stores will have it. Let's hope I can make it happen.

Also, if anyone would like to help me with the OT by making some avatars I'd be much appreciative.

Also, I was thinking of posting the OT on Sunday. What do ppl think? Then or earlier? There are so many threads on the main page already surely it's nearly time to consolidate it all into one place?

ColonialRaptor, you're making the OT? I thought Snuggles will. (Or maybe you guys teamed to make it together -- this going to be good.)

After that, she was still definitely sexualized a bit in the novels, what with her relationship to Mistle and the rose tattoo....

More like everyone sexualized her. Mistle was a
pedophile who prevented her from being molested just so she could molest Ciri herself. Even Geralt was really skeeved out by her.

Then she had a crush on that middle-aged messenger guy who
lied on top of her groped her as he died during an ambush.

And she didn't really have any fondness for Auberon, whose
impotence prevented him from having barely consensual sex with him multiple times at the behest of Eredin.

She's had a total of two decent relationships, the one with that twelve-year-old boy who jumped rocks and with whom
she experimented with kissing in private,
and Galahad, who rubbed her feet once and seemed nice enough
(and whose fate is ambiguous).

A logical woman with Ciri's traumatic sexual past would be wearing a burkha rather than showing off her cleavage. Or a full suit of armor. With spikes on it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
wasn't his post made like 1-2 years ago? Maybe he decided he wasn't up for it. It IS a long time.

It wasn't that long ago, but I lost interest and gave it up to Raptor. I wanted to make something fun and not just the usual massive jpeg dump but I guess I just didn't have it in me this time.

pedophile who prevented her from being molested just so she could molest Ciri herself. Even Geralt was really skeeved out by her.

impotence prevented him from having barely consensual sex with him multiple times at the behest of Eredin.

She's had a total of two decent relationships, the one with that twelve-year-old boy who jumped rocks and with whom

A logical woman with Ciri's traumatic sexual past would be wearing a burkha rather than showing off her cleavage. Or a full suit of armor. With spikes on it.

It's not like Yennefer had the easiest past either.

Kvik

wasn't his post made like 1-2 years ago? Maybe he decided he wasn't up for it. It IS a long time.

Nov '14, according to his post.

It wasn't that long ago, but I lost interest and gave it up to Raptor. I wanted to make something fun and not just the usual massive jpeg dump but I guess I just didn't have it in me this time.

Edit: beaten by the man himself :-\

Anyway, I have some high expectations for the OT, since it's my most anticipated game of 2015.

I was weirded out by Ciri's shirt being open and showing her bra at times, until I realized that it's probably meant somewhat as a sign of where she's been. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think bras exist in the Northern Kingdoms, so it's something she's picked up on her various travels.

A logical woman with
Ciri's traumatic sexual past would be wearing a burkha rather than showing off her cleavage. Or a full suit of armor. With spikes on it.

dude will you spoiler tag that last sentence? seriously, people are still reading the novels and have not played the previous games. for fuck's sake, spoiler tag shit that concerns character stories. i've avoided spoilers of any kind in the past months as i am reading the novels only to be spoiled in the review thread. come on.

dude will you spoiler tag that last sentence? seriously, people are still reading the novels and have not played the previous games. for fuck's sake, spoiler tag shit that concerns character stories. i've avoided spoilers of any kind in the past months as i am reading the novels only to be spoiled in the review thread. come on.

The sentence that was a joke? Can't tell if joking or...

If not joking, you still know nothing significant. A bunch of names in the context of sex, in the Witcher, could go about a million different ways.

Can't tell if joking or...

If not joking, you still know nothing significant. A bunch of names in the context of sex, in the Witcher, could go about a million different ways.

don't openly discuss story stuff that are in the novels without spoiler tags. that wasn't even a general spoiler at all. i don't care about context. people like me are still in the middle of reading the novels. i am at the part where ciri was still a kid i.e. the third book so why the fuck are you discussing specific back stories in the review thread? and you still haven't put spoiler tags on it. i don't care if it's nothing significant. you don't get to decide which ones are significant enough to be left out.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

This isn't necessarily true at all.
There's a vast spectrum of how people deal with sexual trauma in childhood, and hypersexuality is actually a very common one.

Top Bottom