• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 to be most expensive Polish game; $15M dev. budget + $25M ad. budget

Savitar

"We have no influence on the decisions of platform holders, neither Microsoft's or Sony's, but there is a platform where we can decide what we think works best for the gamers, and that's the PC."

The Witcher 3 will be the first game CD Projekt has simultaneously released on three platforms - The Witcher 2 appeared first on PC and then a year later on Xbox 360. "What it means for gamers is the previously mentioned freedom of choice," he said.

"I am sure that a lot of gamers will choose one of the consoles for its convenience and easiness of use - that's fine, and by doing so they will agree to whatever rules the platform holder will impose.

"What I can, however, guarantee here and now, is that if you want the 100 per cent DRM-free experience you will have it on the PC, the platform where we set the rules for our games. The Witcher 3 will be available 100 per cent DRM-free on our digital distribution platform GOG.com, and that's one thing I can confirm."

Developer of forever.

Please never sell out.

Wow, I wonder if Cyberpunk is gonna surpass the price too? Amazing what those guys able to do with so "little" cash (compared to other studios).

Dennis

Banned
Who paid for wolf tech? CD Projekt or Nvidia gift?

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

BigDug13

They like money? It well sell well On PC, yes. On consoles, maybe not. Like I said earlier, Witcher 2 bombed on 360. They are now releasing Witcher 3 on PS4 and Xbox One. It's pretty clear the first game will never be ported to consoles. A niche of players bought Witcher 2 on 360. PS4 owners will be looking at a game that is the third in a franchise, the second of which was never released on PS3. I'm not saying Witcher 3 won't be amazing. That and MGSV are the two next-gen games I'm most looking forward too, I just don't think they can expect a huge return on consoles unless they try to market it right.

Well it was such a weird thing to begin with to have a series that started exclusively on PC, then you attempt to release its sequels on console? How will console-only players ever experience the whole story? Maybe they'll do a whole 1 and 2 story breakdown at the start of 3?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
More money spent on advertising than developing the game bums me out.

$25m seems a tad extravagant to me considering the modest success of the series thus far. I realise CDPR wants to leverage the fact this will be its first simultaneous multiplatform release with some marketing muscle, but even so exceeding the development budget, dramatically so, strikes me as unnecessary and possibly wasteful.

szaromir

Banned
That's insanely cheap. These countries are gonna kill game development in other countries in the same way they kill special effects houses in the movie industry.
It's much easier to make CG clips 'to spec' regardless of your location, game development is much more culturally entrenched. I don't think you can outsource Call of Duty or GTA to Poland or Bulgaria, it just wouldn't work. Or look at Japanese attempts to appeal to a COD player such as Ninja Gaiden 3 or Resident Evil 6, they're critically panned and lack identity.

$25m seems a tad extravagant to me considering the modest success of the series thus far. I realise CDPR wants to leverage the fact this will be its first simultaneous multiplatform release with some marketing muscle, but even so exceeding the development budget, dramatically so, strikes me as unnecessary and possibly wasteful.
5M+ copies to date is not that modest.

It's much easier to make CG clips 'to spec' regardless of your location, game development is much more culturally entrenched. I don't think you can outsource Call of Duty or GTA to Poland or Bulgaria, it just wouldn't work. Or look at Japanese attempts to appeal to a COD player such as Ninja Gaiden 3 or Resident Evil 6, they're critically panned and lack identity.

Oh yes because CoD and GTA are just so original that dirty Europeans could never capture their deep nuance.

People in Europe watch American movies as well

JaseC

5M+ copies to date is not that modest.

Sure, that averages out to a respectable ~2.5m per title, but consider also that TW1 released way back in 2007 and in the ~5.5 years since the series has seen more than its fair share of dramatic price reductions during sale periods.

Edit: But what the 5m sales announcement did suggest is that the X360 release of TW2 did very well for a belated port, which bodes well for the console versions of the upcoming sequel.

Edit edit: Sorry, I edited this post at least a dozen times. :p I should really stop posting on GAF when it's late!

szaromir

Banned
Oh yes because CoD and GTA are just so original that dirty Europeans could never capture their deep nuance.

People in Europe watch American movies as well
People in Europe don't make American movies, which kinda proves my point.

There's dramatic price reductions during a great many sale periods to consider.
Sure. Still, the way this series has been going TW3 will surely recoup these costs in no time.

JaseC

Sure. Still, the way this series has been going TW3 will surely recoup these costs in no time.

Oh, no disagreement there. I'd be surprised if it didn't at least make back its combined budgets after the first 6-8 weeks.

methane47

I think its sad that more money is spent marketing the game than developing the game.
It just rubs me the wrong way.

Specially with this Used game nonsense Devs keep on spouting.
They are worried about maybe that 1 million dollars lost in used games compared to their gargantuan Marketing budgets.

So guys, this thing needs to sell like 670k new copies in order to make marginal revenue? If so, that's doable from these guys, right?

No. Pubs don't get the full $60 from a sale.
Safer to say 1mil copies sold in-order to be ok.

JaseC

Thank you.
Youtube is being a piece of shit today, for me.
That video wouldn't load even at 144p.

I've been having a lot of issues lately with ads stalling, which as you can imagine makes it hard to watch anything since YouTube insists upon them so frequently.

szaromir

Banned
I think its sad that more money is spent marketing the game than developing the game.
It just rubs me the wrong way.

Specially with this Used game nonsense Devs keep on spouting.
They are worried about maybe that 1 million dollars lost in used games compared to their gargantuan Marketing budgets.
Anyone can make a great product, convincing others to buy it is the tougher task.

It just seems that this IP should be way bigger than it is. Anime, theatrical productions, animated film, etc. 25million and nobody outside of video games knows who Geralt of Rivia is. Time to expand that brand awareness.

Portugeezer

So guys, this thing needs to sell like 670k new copies in order to make marginal revenue? If so, that's doable from these guys, right?

No it needs to sell more. They pay royalties to Sony/MS/Steam/etc, retailers get a cut, other expenses, etc...

But yeah, if they match Witcher 2 they will do okay, but with the extra marketing they should realistically sell more than Witcher 2 did.

Oh ffs, it's only going to sell to hardcore gamers anyway, and they barely need to see advertising. Just spend more on the game. EA/Activision are fucking killing this industry with their AAA marketing budget bullshit..

Their advertising would be cheaper and much better just mentioning the following:

• More Witcher
  • Better graphics
  • Tweaks to combat
  • BEARD!!!!

Boom, ya done.

It just seems that this IP should be way bigger than it is. Anime, theatrical productions, animated film, etc. 25million and nobody outside of video games knows who Geralt of Rivia is. Time to expand that brand awareness.

Now I want a Berzerk-quality anime show of Witcher.

RaijinFY

$15m for a polish made game is quite expensive considering salaries are most likely way lower than their US or UK counterparts.

wow that is not that much, they went from $7 mil dev to $15 mil dev.
For "next gen" and 30 times as large.

All tough the 25M ad budget is pretty crazy :O

Sheroking

I mean... you sold 1.7 million copies of The Witcher 2 at mostly discount price points.

How much more does The Witcher 3 need to sell?

i-Lo

I'm still stunned they'll be making an open world WRPG with great story, writing, characters, voice acting, animating etc for $15 million! I have been made aware that wages are lower in poland but even then it's absolutely remarkable.

It does make me wonder how much money they'll be pouring into Cyberpunk 2077 from the development side...

On a point of criticism, I hope they improve their facial animation. It's one of the very few drawbacks of their games.

Believe it or not this is very common.

You're right. Development costs can vary to a much greater degree than advertising cost.

Success

Hard to believe that such a high quality games like the Witcher series cost so little when compared to other Triple A titles like Bioshock Infinite and GTA IV.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Wiktor

Most of the sales came from PC so far. But on consoles you can't have multimillion selling game if you don't do crazy advertising. Sometimes it happens, but it's incredibly rare. To make W3 big not only on PC, but also on consoles they need huge marketing campaign.

boskee

not surprised.

WB failed them completely and let TW2 bombs on 360, and they got problems with Atari and THQ on PC version before that.

I still think they should've go with Bethesda (has RPG faithfuls and good publishers on both PC and consoles) or 2K but yeah wish them luck with self publishing with this one.

THQ never published CDPR games. They were supposed to publish TW2 on Xbox 360 but the french court forced CDPR to let Namco-Bandai publish it instead. As for Atari - they still owe CDPR money.

RedSwirl

I can understand CDPR publishing TW3 digitally worldwide (even on PS4 theoretically), but can they really afford to handle retail distribution too?

As for the marketing, haven't marketing budgets exceeded development budgets for a long time now? I remember people making a story out of Resident Evil 4's $25 million marketing budget back in 2005.

And on the DRM, I think CDPR gave Kotaku the most succinct version of their answer: "We can't just not release The Witcher 3 on Xbox One." They said they don't want to punish users who decide to put up with Microsoft's DRM.

jtb

Banned
eh. I hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. the Witcher 1 was fine, honestly... and it scares (and, to a lesser extent, disappoints) me when pretty niche developers try to make the next step.

Hard to believe that such a high quality games like the Witcher series cost so little when compared to other Triple A titles like Bioshock Infinite and GTA IV.

not really. they're efficient, but I'm sure the standard of living is lower in Poland than it is in the traditional developer strongholds of USA/Japan/Western Europe and therefore costs are lower.

boskee

I can understand CDPR publishing TW3 digitally worldwide (even on PS4 theoretically), but can they really afford to handle retail distribution too?

They were one of the biggest game distributors/publishers in Central Europe for the past 18 years, so yes, they know how to publish stuff. They will sign distribution deals with 3rd parties who will then handle foreign markets.

JaseC

Most of the sales came from PC so far. But on consoles you can't have multimillion selling game if you don't do crazy advertising. Sometimes it happens, but it's incredibly rare. To make W3 big not only on PC, but also on consoles they need huge marketing campaign.

Sure, as I said, I understand that, but even so it still seems excessive to me; though I don't mean to imply that I believe the game will ultimately prove unprofitable.

Just to put in perspective the wage differences between Poland and North America and Western Europe, here are the GDP per capitas of the US, UK, Japan, and Poland (yes I realize GDP per capita doesn't tell a full story but for this example it works).

United States: $50,700
United Kingdom: $37,500
Japan: $36,900
Poland: $20,900

Wages in Poland are significantly lower compared to its western counterparts, as several people pointed out. As a result, CD Projekt can output games with amazing production values with far lower money. The way I see it, it is a win-win for everybody. They can afford to make risks and the payout for them can be far bigger. Regarding advertising, you got to spend money to make money. Advertising in all media avenues costs a shit load of money (the advertising cost of a blockbuster movie is typically at least as much of the actual movie budget, often far higher). TV air time, Internet ads, food/store promotions (Mountain Dew and Doritos lol), etc. can drive a game's budget up dramatically. Not to mention it is clear with CD Projekt's larger presence in E3 and The Witcher 3's reveal through Game Informer that they hope to make The Witcher series to hit big.

I would love for CD Projekt to get the appreciation it deserves and grow their team size so they can make more games as long as they do not do stupid shit like Bioware and Bethesda. The Witcher 3 looks phenomenal and deserves to sell a lot. Not to mention I would prefer it that they would be able to continually self-publish their games after The Witcher 3.

hatchx

Banned
Really came into this thread looking GIFs, and I'll leave disappointed.

Game looked friggin' excellent. Will probably be the game that tips me into buying a Ps4 (and Evil Within).

fanboi

Banned
Isn't marketing good for gaming as a whole (bundled with good games of course) since it will bring more people into the industri which will then make more money without the huge marketing costs.

Top Bottom