• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

heringer

Im playing the game in the way it intended at this point and I think Geralts movesets work relatively well against other humans but I find no joy in fighting any creatures for the most part. Thats when I feel the heaviness of the combat and it seems disjointed with the agility the enemies I am fighting.

I abuse the dodge button a lot, so that makes me feel pretty agile even against faster enemies. In fact, I use the dodge button to move through the battlefield more than the analog stick movement. Dunno if it will help with you but... yeah, dodge dodge dodge.

Beefy

I might not go with my mixmatching idea and just focus on that. For my four skill blocks (3 skills in each), I'm investing 1 into combat, 2 into sign, and 1 into general (adrenaline buffs).

Going to be fun to see how everything turns out.

I have 3 maxed out in combat. 3 in General and 1 (the mind control) in sign. I hit hard for only a level 15.

brau

I abuse the dodge button a lot, so that makes me feel pretty agile even against faster enemies. In fact, I use the dodge button to move through the battlefield more than the analog stick movement. Dunno if it will help with you but... yeah, dodge dodge dodge.

image.php

Tenebrous

41 hours in, and I'm torn...

Is it a good/very good game with some excellent moments, or an excellent game with some pretty big shortcomings?

brau

Pretty awesome, Very good build, paper and print quality. Smells nice too lol.

The art is so so pretty.

ugh... what about the statue? i saw earlier some people with very low quality ones.

I am tempted to get one. But i might just order the book from Ebay or something. Thoughts?

41 hours in, and I'm torn...

Is it a good/very good game with some excellent moments, or an excellent game with some pretty big shortcomings?

You should expand.

In my opinion, very excellent game with certain mechanical issues.

Im only like 10 hours in but so far i think id agree with this.

when it all clicks its fantastic and then my horse gets stuck on a rock and i dismount and circle the rock ten times trying to get around it.

but then i get where i want and its awesome

ugh... what about the statue? i saw earlier some people with very low quality ones.

I am tempted to get one. But i might just order the book from Ebay or something. Thoughts?

You should expand.

The statue is quite nice.

EXCEPT for Geralt, who looks like shite compared to the Griffin. Damn.

img_20150526_171738i6ugm.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
This is a game that I just want to go on and on. I really don't want it to end.
I just got passed the point where we turned Uma back into the elf at Kaer Morhen.
How much more of the main story is left?

Tenebrous

You should expand.

Rightyo.

This is what I'm leaning towards. The world building far surpasses that of any other open world RPG I've played. Novigrad, Velen... They actually "feel" alive. The bigger quests are mostly great, and the technical accomplishment of being able to travel for hours without a loading screen is amazing. The game is mostly gorgeous (with some warts, but what game doesn't have those), and the characters memorable.

But, movement is still sketchy, combat is average, every boss I've faced has been forgettable, and the over reliance on Witcher Senses dampen my enjoyment of every quest they figure in. Plenty of other minor issues that can hopefully be sorted out by modders over time.

If I wasn't a gameplay first kinda person, it would be excellent, no doubt. But the combat & lack of decent bosses (playing on Death March) holds it back a tad for me. Still, the overall experience is spectacular, and I can let the little things go most of the time... Most of it.

brau

It's an excellent game with a really bad inventory system.

This i can agree. It would not be that bad if it wasn't for the mega slow downs. I think this has been present in every Witcher game. So at this point it might as well be a feature. Slow down in UI enhancing player experience by allowing for faster reaction times.

Aces&Eights

You rang?

vDxQMNV.png

brau

It's the closed eyes that does it. You can see why they did it tho, to get witcher eyes correct is probably hard for the people that did these things.

It just doesn't look very high quality does it? i have 3 figures on my desk. Marcus Fenix, Connor from AC3 and Batman from Arkham City. All of them really nice. So far that figurine doesn't seem to be at the level of quality. Or is it? Just curious.

Lunar15

This i can agree. It would not be that bad if it wasn't for the mega slow downs. I think this has been present in every Witcher game. So at this point it might as well be a feature. Slow down in UI enhancing player experience by allowing for faster reaction times.

I mean, considering how much they want you to do in the inventory (applying oils, selling goods, repairing things, alchemy, etc.) it's absolutely mind blowing to me that I can't even sort items or recipes by value, availability, or recency.

Everything else is fine though. Combat's great, quests are fulfilling, contract monsters are a blast to fight, and once you turn off POI's on the map, it's a really immersive open world.

brau

I mean, considering how much they want you to do in the inventory (applying oils, selling goods, repairing things, alchemy, etc.) it's absolutely mind blowing to me that I can't even sort items or recipes by value, availability, or recency.

Yea.. there is no sort. Or organize button. Just the lag makes it really annoying, and nothing is sorted out properly, I have oils first, then a wall of books and texts, then i have the potions, which i can only equip 2 at a time. Kind of annoying.

Anyone else playing on the hardest setting? It's pretty tough, but makes the combat feel much more rewarding other than button mashing, rinse, repeat.

brau

Anyone else playing on the hardest setting? It's pretty tough, but makes the combat feel much more rewarding other than button mashing, rinse, repeat.

Playing on the bones difficulty. One before hardest. So far i have a blast, and fights against 10 level higher enemies are tactical and very tense.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I was but after a certain encounter in novigrad
fighting my way out of the witch hunters camp with triss
I turned it down to sword and story because there is so much bullshit with the combat once you get surrounded in close quarters.

Rightyo.

This is what I'm leaning towards. The world building far surpasses that of any other open world RPG I've played. Novigrad, Velen... They actually "feel" alive. The bigger quests are mostly great, and the technical accomplishment of being able to travel for hours without a loading screen is amazing. The game is mostly gorgeous (with some warts, but what game doesn't have those), and the characters memorable.

But, movement is still sketchy, combat is average, every boss I've faced has been forgettable, and the over reliance on Witcher Senses dampen my enjoyment of every quest they figure in. Plenty of other minor issues that can hopefully be sorted out by modders over time.

If I wasn't a gameplay first kinda person, it would be excellent, no doubt. But the combat & lack of decent bosses (playing on Death March) holds it back a tad for me. Still, the overall experience is spectacular, and I can let the little things go most of the time... Most of it.

I totally agree, although I will say my opinion of the game has improved as I've gotten further. I think part of it is that I'm so drawn into the world now, I've stopped noticing the mechanical issues or at least become accustomed to them. I also think combat becomes a bit better as you acquire more skills. I really like it when you're fighting one on one with the monsters you hunt via Witcher contracts, but fighting groups is still annoying, especially any fight indoors.

Vitor711

It's an incredible game with some baffling UI/control problems.

It's amazing, just not perfect and I think I'm happy with that. Some UI mods on PC would be more than welcome.

Here's an example of things that need fixing:

Crafting: If I don't have a material, but I have something that can be crafted/dismantled into that material, clicking on the item should take me to the relevant crafting page.

Item Sorting: If you won't let me sort by weight/number, then at least create a separate tab for all non-quest necessary books. They should NOT be clogging up my consumable page. I'm playing on hard, I have no natural regen, I need to use that tab a lot.

Swimming: If I press ascend/descend, under no circumstances should Geralt ever, EVER do the exact opposite motion. It's happened way too often and is bizarre. If I press down, don't go up. Like, come on. Also, let me move the camera while surfacing. No reason to lock it upwards. That might get me killed if an enemy creeps up on me.

Menu Tabbing: Right trigger should not bring up a pointless stat list. It should be used to move between the left and right sides of the inventory/alchemy menus. There's a clear divide in the middle of the screen, I shouldn't have to thumb the stick over several times to scroll to the side that I want.

Bomb Equipping: Why do I only have two slots for potions/bombs? I should be able to have them all equipped at all times. All that needs to be done is add a up/down section to the LB item wheel for bombs. It wouldn't add clutter and would help a lot in keeping the pacing of fights up.

Potion EquippingHolding up/down should activate the equipped potion while tapping it should just scroll through them. That way I don't have to pause the game and go into inventory management mode every fight when I run out of one/need a different buff.

BumRush

Is this the biggest open world game world ever made?

Also, Gwent is amazing and would make a great standalone game. It's be fun to play on your phone and have the winnings carry over to your game!

Beefy

It just doesn't look very high quality does it? i have 3 figures on my desk. Marcus Fenix, Connor from AC3 and Batman from Arkham City. All of them really nice. So far that figurine doesn't seem to be at the level of quality. Or is it? Just curious.

It's not as high quality as others, but is fine in my eyes. I paid £105 for mine (should have been £139), with a Amazon discount and Amazon messing up the listing price.

leng jai

It's kind of annoying that you can't buy the art book separately. I really want it, but don't want to pay the CE price with all the other junk. Skyrim pulled the same shit and I ended up buying it. It feels bad not to have it though considering I have the art book for the first two games.

artsi

Finished the game, 72 hours on the clock.

QdMwTQB.png

What a great experience.

I think the romance part was a bit lazy though in the end, I felt it didn't really matter who you choose.

I chose Triss and dumped Yennefer, but Yen still kissed me and accompanied me whenever a sorceress was needed. Didn't even see Triss during the final battle / ending cutscenes.

At least Geralt moved in with her according to the ending.

I have 3 maxed out in combat. 3 in General and 1 (the mind control) in sign. I hit hard for only a level 15.

whats your usual damage on light and heavy attacks?

i reached level 12 yesterday and im currently spec'd like this

6 on combat (3 fast/3heavy attacks +dmg)

11? Signs (Max igni, max yrden Ward, max axii the dialogue/mind numb one )

2 in general (the one that heals you when not in combat +stamina when in combat, and the one that fills stamina points up when you use signs)

i usually do between 200+250 (when not buffed up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom