• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots)

Mista

Banned
Oh you beauty! Ready for the son of Rivia. Ready for Ciri and Triss!

This is going to be one hell of a game.

Dennis

Banned
The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots) of any open-world game with dynamic lighting.

DOWN

Banned
Does Unity have dynamic lighting that allows time to visibly pass or is it baked?
Baked. It switches times of day and weather for mission segments. There's some elements that are dynamic to give it a sense of time passing so as long as you have a reasonable pace with missions, the changing weather, clouds, colors, and fog should give many the sense that the time is not stopped. Looks fantastic as a result.

Kinda makes me wish more games would do baked if it can amp them up to Unity looks a bit more. I don't find the lack of a dynamic cycle in Unity very noticeable, but I've only been playing campaign so far.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots) of any open-world game with dynamic lighting.
That's a lot of qualifiers now dawg

_machine

Nah, lighting and shadows are clearly of lower quality in these new images.
Please elaborate this, because I'm not seeing this "clear" difference as the game is still using the same IBL (mapping quality doesn't seem to have been affected), PBR materials (texture resolution seems to be more or less the same, though they have undergone scene balancing no doubt). Shadows are more or less the same; no clear difference in resolution, there's still some sort of penumbra, the foliage is still affected by shadows and characters have self-shadowing. So please, tell me how the lighting and shadows are lower quality.

bj00rn_

Banned
This game is a console exclusive with limited resources and games take tons of cues and imitate many factors of film so you gain no ground with that dismissive "it's a game"write-off,

I don't agree. TEWI is again excellent evidence here because not only does the game play better without the abomination of black bars, but also none of the "filmic feel" is lost when the black bars are removed. And that's good news for the 99% of us that have standard aspect ratio displays and don't want our real estate wasted for nonsensical reasons. Make it an option, and we all get what we want, end of story, period. Anyway, luckily Prosjekt CD isn't a pretentious diva thus The Witcher 3 doesn't have locked black bars.

Anyway, I kinda like the look and feel of those Kingdom Come picture more.. The colors in TW3 is a little off in comparison.

Rivitur

Banned
Is that the same chick?

kIWp7wU.jpeg

Seanspeed

Banned
By "good" he means "favourably comparable". Obviously there's no empirical data to go on at this stage, but given the open world nature of the game it's quite likely that the PS4 will have the edge versus a PC equipped with a 2GB 670.
The open world nature of the game is exactly the reason that I'd suspect a GTX670-equipped PC would have the edge, assuming a half decent CPU(the important part).

sublimit

Banned
Man i wish the PS4 version looked like that...:(
Still i'm sure that it will look more than great for me.And anyway art direction is always more important than technical details for me (as long as the game runs smoothly).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm hoping a 3770k+7970 Ghz can handle this decent enough.. I'm hoping for 60fps on Med-High (rather lower the settings for smoothness).

Genio88

Assassin's Creed Unity on PC has better graphics, same for Ryse and The Order...That said, the Witcher 3 looks great, especially given the big world

Glad to see developers have learned from the recent exposure about poor female representation in their games, this looks very tasteful.

You are wrong.

Don't worry guys I don't want to take your in-game prostitutes away.

I realise my first post was a little ambiguous, and I was actually commenting on the choice of dress for these fictional prostitutes, considering we have no historic information on how they dressed, and I haven't read the stories but I don't believe the writer was that obsessed with dress detail, their design is solely at the choice of the developers. With the recent commotion about how women are presented in games maybe the artists could have used artistic license not to dress them like modern representations of prostitutes, that culturally reference are modern thinking of sexualisation/objectification.

He actually does describe how people are dressed in the books, of course not only prostitutes. The character of Jaskier also goes in full descriptions about some of the women.
And really, showing some cleavage and the legs are something a prostitute wouldn't do during a similar real era? How the fuck are their going to sell their services if not? Some would probably even show their bare tits in the open, im sure of that.

Setsuna

You are wrong.

He actually does describe how people are dressed in the books, of course not only prostitutes. The character of Jaskier also goes in full descriptions about some of the women.
And really, showing some cleavage and the legs are something a prostitute wouldn't do during a similar real era? How the fuck are their going to sell their services if not? Some would probably even show their bare tits in the open, im sure of that.

Its all about them ankles

Blinck

Those are supersampled to hell and back, it won't look anywhere near that quality for most PC folks and specially not on consoles.

It looks good, but honestly not that good, specially the characters..they look very plastic, specially after seeing skin shaders from the likes of Infamous SS and Assassin's creed. It doesn't look nearly as good as the first trailers they showed unfortunately.

I'm sure it will still be a great game though, just not the visual benchmark that many were expecting it to be. The Witcher 2 was much more impressive when it came out.

R_Deckard

GTA V is likely to have much more impressive pedestrians and a much deeper world. ACU looks alot better then this aswell. The Witcher 3 doesn't even use PBR. The lighting doesn't look great nor does the environment, it just looks average.

Wrong...it does!

Denton

Eurogamer.Cz just posted their impressions, most positive I have ever read.
PS4 version. He compared the Polish and graphics to linear games like Uncharted, except here is huge open world with choices and consequences.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The open world nature of the game is exactly the reason that I'd suspect a GTX670-equipped PC would have the edge, assuming a half decent CPU(the important part).

Perhaps in performance consistency but not visual fidelity. When someone specifically mentions their GPU and follows that with "good settings" it can be inferred that they're talking about graphics.

Koriandrr

Never played any witcher game before, but would those buildings be accessible, like in skyrim?

for sure. it's as open world as it gets.

I recommend playing the previous games or at least watching them before playing though.
I would imagine the story will make little to no sense if you don't know what's going on.
CD Projekt Red really cater for the hardcore fans of the franchise.

e1sunz

Banned
Played Witcher 1 and 2 and it's just meh...
Overhyped game if you ask me..just a pretty game but not a fun game

rashbeep

Banned
I don't really see how it has been "downgraded" from that gif that keeps being posted everywhere. Game still looks great; not as good as Unity, but this game dwarfs it in scale.

The flatness is real. Damn.
Plus, the characters in shadows have this black halo like in FC3.

Slightly disappointed.

Edit: hopefully this is because of my shitty screen at work. Will need to watch again at home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure what I expected it looks nice but for some odd reason I am expecting something more...

Do we know if these are PC shots?

I'd imagine so. Some of those who prefer to play multiplatform games on consoles find the use of PC versions in marketing materials to be somewhat disingenuous, which I can understand, but you can't exactly blame the developer/publisher for wanting their projects to be showcased with all the bells and whistles dialled up to 11.

Seanspeed

Banned
Perhaps in performance consistency but not visual fidelity. When someone specifically mentions their GPU and follows that with "good settings" it can be inferred that they're talking about graphics.
They're related, though. If your CPU affords you more headroom on performance, you can crank the visuals higher.

Only thing a PS4 might be able to do better is have slightly better textures. Otherwise, I don't know why you suddenly expect a PS4 to start beating a GTX670 in this game when it hasn't in any game yet.

Grief.exe

Not sure what I expected it looks nice but for some odd reason I am expecting something more...

Do we know if these are PC shots?

Most definitely, in fact these images look supersampled.

Quick way to check is look at objects in the distance. Generally draw distance, lod, and af are always significantly lower on consoles. If the game looks good at all distances, then it is likely a PC screenshot.
Beyond that, the AA is phenomenal in the shots, I was having trouble finding an edge that was aliased, but that is likely due to a solid as solution as much as the supersampling.

Realyn

Meh. Especially the last one is such an obvious bullshot. Not saying that the gameplay videos aren't impressive or anything like that, but those screenshots aren't.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At least of any open-world game.

Mods can lock if these new screenshots didn't warrant a new thread.

<pics>

Looks awesome Dennis. I'm looking to playing this with all the bells and whistles at 1080P and super smooth 30fps.

On my PS4.

Top Bottom