• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots)

Jackano

Maybe someday I will jump into those witcher games.
With 60$ graphic card, in which year will I be able to play it? 2030?

Screenshot with the deer is awesome.

Mononoke

Banned
first witcher 3 gameplay footage leak: august 2013

1.5 years later and no sign of the ps4 version. co-marketing and all, but come on. more than a year of nothing? we should get a glimpse of it tomorrow.

Guessing it will look really bad compared to the PC version? =/

HeelPower

1.5 years later and no sign of the ps4 version. co-marketing and all, but come on. more than a year of nothing? we should get a glimpse of it tomorrow.

Yeah its worrying.

I totally understand the XONE deal and I am ok with it.

but at least reassure some of the potential userbase in regards to this version of the game.

I fear we won't find out till release day /:

DOWN

Banned
Well it can't look worse on PS4 than XB1 (unless they pull a Ubisoft and it looks identical but has a worse framerate, albeit almost undetectable).

Seanspeed

Banned

Do you think that the PS4 is secretly horrible looking compared to what we've seen on the other platforms? I don't get what's bothering you so much.

daniels

Yeah it looks good in pictures but i dont play pictures :( In motion i dont see it, still looks janky, strange animations, basicaly everything in battle looks janky, animation, startup, recovery and range are all to short or to long etc ohh and framefrate dibs all over the place..
I really hope this time they fix some of the battlesystem its always really dissapointing to have a big awesome rpg and then you realise that ALL the battles are just a chore!
I am talking about morrwind,oblivion,skyrim, witcher1, witcher2, two worlds 2 etc...

E-Cat

Looks plasticky.

Kingdom Come is the most organic and realistic looking, IMO.

tumblr_n0zmqgAukt1rk5dgco1_500.gif

0037167.jpg

Do you think that the PS4 is secretly horrible looking compared to what we've seen on the other platforms? I don't get what's bothering you so much.

1) what a leap and a stretch. secretly horrible-looking? please.

2) you don't get it? i want to see a multiplat game running on a system. devs can sugarcoat all they want but in the end the game speaks for itself not the devs.

dex3108

I just woke up and maybe i am still a bit sleepy but is there any AO on those SS? If it is there it is barely noticeable.

CozMick

Banned
OP you overpromised with the thread title, The Witcher 3 has been nothing but ok in the visual department since the downgrade.

dlauv

Looks extremely cartoony. That's not a knock at fidelity, but it seems at odds with the tone and kind of in contrast to some of the videos I've seen prior.

I'm imagining this in motion and it's impressive. I just wish it had a grittier look like Witcher 2, instead of something more like Disney Infinity and/or Fable.

Hope Witcher 3 doesn't become the next crysis. Crysis 1 had amazing gameplay but people only talked about its graphics

I don't see how this game is close to being a similar scenario. A big part of crysis infamy is due being PC only, and then to running as intended on a reduced group of them at launch. If anything the Order 1886 is at higher risk of it. People are only talking about graphics here because Dennis made them do so with the title.

Seanspeed

Banned
But the lighting IS different. Isnt it? Like these new screens like a lot more "cartoony" or something.
I don't really see the lighting is that different. The particle effects I think add a lot to the 'next gen'-ness of that GIF, though, and we haven't seen anything that suggests that wont be in the final game.

I just woke up and maybe i am still a bit sleepy but is there any AO on those SS? If it is there it is barely noticeable.
AO is prominent in the screens, sure.

Bl@de

I don't care about the graphics. Looks good enough already. But I can't imagine a game so big with the dense world and feeling of Witcher 2. If they pull that off ... Skyrim and everything else can go home. I will have no more time in 2015. I mean ... I played Witcher 2 for 35h, and that was a "small" linear RPG.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
The particle effects I think add a lot to the 'next gen'-ness of that GIF, though, and we haven't seen anything that suggests that wont be in the final game.
In the most recent video they DO have particle effects after casting a spell, so Im pretty sure theyre still in.

Not technically the lighting, they just tuned the colors in a different (more "cartoony") direction.
Which is really weird considering the tone they were setting with the announcement trailer.

Shabad

Somehow, I am not that impressed with the graphics. The art direction is amazing, and it sure looks pretty, but nothing mind-blowing or unseen before. Assassin Creed Unity impressed me more for example.

That being said, I am super excited for this game ^^ May can't come soon enough.

Dantis

I have a feeling that (on consoles at least), Unity will look better.

This looks artistically great, but I'm not really blown away by it.

Arondight

That it doesn't turn out like ACU on consoles.

I think CDprojekt at least deserves better than being mentioned along the same lines as ACU. It's not like TW2 was bad performance/bug wise and they're obviously delaying the game to polish a game not to mentioned the great post launch support.

There's curiosity and then there's pessimism and I'd like to think it's the former. It's not like there's anything wrong with having at least seeing a footage of the version for a particular platform a person is going to buy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Them villagers on the left though...

Porcelain and plasticy looking character models (the main characters look very good but the random npc are bad) in Witcher 2 moving in the Vergen or Kaedweni or other places was like moving inside a mannequin factory, seems like this will be the same.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think CDprojekt at least deserves better than being mentioned along the same lines as ACU. It's not like TW2 was bad performance/bug wise and they're obviously delaying the game to polish a game not to mentioned the great post launch support.
Well lets see how it runs on consoles before giving them praise for being better than Unity...

There's curiosity and then there's pessimism and I'd like to think it's the former. It's not like there's anything wrong with having at least seeing a footage of the version for a particular platform a person is going to buy.
The game is still over 3 months away.

Really? I thought both sides of Act 2 were by far the best parts of the game.

Yep. The prologue had a gigantic scale. A giant city under siege, hundreds, thousands of troops, etc.

A beautyful act 1 with flotsam and the nearby woods but already far more limited than the cities in Witcher 1.

Act 2 was supposed to have an epic scale too. Then Gerald and like 3 other people fought off an entire "army" which was trying to storm the stronghold with 2 ladders. Compare this to the prologue..

Act 3 was a joke and even worse with some lackluster ruins and a few NPCs thrown in.

The storytelling was better than the first game, everything else was worse. (Minus the prologue)

MaLDo

Somehow, I am not that impressed with the graphics. The art direction is amazing, and it sure looks pretty, but nothing mind-blowing or unseen before. Assassin Creed Unity impressed me more for example.

That being said, I am super excited for this game ^^ May can't come soon enough.

Lighting in ACU is baked. You can't compare baked lighting quality with realtime tod quality in a fair way. More so, TW3 has a very hparticular graphic style that does not try to be photorealistic.

Reminds me of how we never saw a single screen of Destiny on X1 right up untill the beta.

Skyrim + mods...

Skyrim mods don't have any artistic sense, though.

Not trying to be a party pooper but Unity looks better than TW3 at max settings. Lighting is on another league to begin with. Here it looks sort of... cartoony. Unity tends to be way more realistic on this regard.

Yeah Unity looks better. But maybe W3 can run better than Unity in both pc and consoles...

Glad to see developers have learned from the recent exposure about poor female representation in their games, this looks very tasteful.

There were prostitutes in W1, in W2, and of course there are in Witcher 3. It's a gritty low/dark fantasy world, not having prostitutes would be weird.

All dem graphics yet we still have clipping.

*sigh*

You can solve clipping at 95%. The last 5%? It's harder to solve. The last 1%? It's even harder. Etc etc.

Vegetation looks alot worse than what they had shown before

05.gif

That zone still can be like that in the game. You have to understand the trailers are made with totally cherry-picked examples of the zones in the game. The use the top 10% of the areas, the ones they know they are most beautiful.

Even the CE statue has been downgraded

2014-06-05_2059_zpsb491fd94.png

Lol, that's pretty bad. I would be kind of angry if I would picked one.

Is Geralt made of wax?

No. He just bathes in wax.

Such a disappointing downgrade.

Game is in need of OBMB, and the LoD looks so much worse now.

Optimization always comes in the last months of development. And with "optimization", 90% of the time devs mean to see what areas they can cut back graphics. Shadows, lods, view distance, are some of the fist casualties.

Maybe someone will make a mod to improve LOD, like they did in W2.

I want to clarify a few things about this shots folks.

Thing is, i saw one of the earlier Witcher 3 builds in 2013 behind the closed doors at Igromir Expo in Moscow. And it clearly looked even then, with 2 crashes during the demo/ In fact it looked a hell lot better. The early material wasn't any setup or, as you would say, fake. They've just simply overpromised.

Very interesting. It seems they were too ambitious, they hyped themselves with their own development, thinking they were doing the best game EVER, and therefore they wanted to have the "best graphics evar!", and "we Will be remembered!", and in the end they finally woke up. Lots of AAA devs have fallen in that trap.
I don't think they have done it willingly to make deceptive advertising. Understand they actually wasted months of development (expensive development!) in lightning systems and in more detailed vegetation models that in the end they couldn't use.

Gothos

It's quite obvious these are not screenshots taken from the game, imho. They look more like some kind of prerendered concept art or something :)

Top Bottom