• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness: An 8-year time line puzzle of progress

GhaleonEB

Oh shit, that's incredible. Didn't even notice that before haha. This game is going to be something special.

My hope is, that's sort of a preview of the kind of epiphanies the game is about. In that shot from the trailer, there's a dock extending a bit out into to the water. It doesn't go anywhere, but it kind of invites you to go and stand on it, and from that vantage point, you can see the hidden image in the environment. And you might not see it at first, but by virtue of being there, you know it has a purpose. And then you see it, and it's like, aha!

The cover art for the game is a literal environmental puzzle (piece).

250px-The_witness_poster.jpg

hesido

My hope is, that's sort of a preview of the kind of epiphanies the game is about. In that shot from the trailer, there's a dock extending a bit out into to the water. It doesn't go anywhere, but it kind of invites you to go and stand on it, and from that vantage point, you can see the hidden image in the environment. And you might not see it at first, but by virtue of being there, you know it has a purpose. And then you see it, and it's like, aha!

Didn't notice the matching contours before, thanks.

He hasn't ruled it out and had the ESRB rate it for Xbox One as a preemptive measure; Sony is not publishing or financing. They did PC and PS4 for launch so they could get it out the door on a manageable number of platforms given the size of the team. Nothing is announced yet, however.

....okay, maybe I can believe a little bit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Everything in The Witness is deliberate. If you find something that isn't, you probably just haven't found its purpose yet.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, while I was planning on getting this anyway, the 1:05 thing just made the game a lot more interesting.

Micerider

Dayum, almost forgot they had it set for Oculus. Pretty much cement a purchase decision for PC rather than PS4 if it's still on track.

border

I'm stupid. I don't care about spoilers. What exactly is supposed to be happening at 1:05 in the release date trailer?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stupid. I don't care about spoilers. What exactly is supposed to be happening at 1:05 in the release date trailer?

Tilt your head to the left.
Island and its mirroring image in the water are forming a new picture.

turn your head sideways.
seriously, you should try it.
the rock formations, mirrored in the water, form the figure of a woman with hands pressed together

Ansatz

I consider this part of your reply a major spoiler, but it's fine we need one example that showcases what the game is about plus it's in the trailer.

That's the inherent problem of this type of game. If you've played Braid, telling you about the existence of the
8 stars
defeats the entire purpose of them, the whole point is to discover it by yourself which you may or may not but that's besides the point. You're not supposed to experience the
8 stars
thing, it's there so that if you do happen to stumble upon it you receive a very strong emotional impact.

So what we should say instead of that is "there's something interesting going on 1:05 into this trailer, can you spot it?" Any further detail defeats the purpose

If anyone is going to be hyper-conscious of spoilers on this game -- which is their prerogative -- then they should probably start avoiding all discussion of it on NeoGAF right now. If you're reading a thread that's discussing official PR media from a game, anything people can conceivably figure out from that media is fair game.

border

Island and its mirroring image in the water are forming a new picture.

turn your head sideways.
seriously, you should try it.
the rock formations, mirrored in the water, form the figure of a woman with hands pressed together

Alright, I see it now. That's cool, but if that's the level of attentiveness and awareness I am expected to live up to, then I don't think I will be able to make it all the way through this game.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I consider this part of your reply a major spoiler

That's fine, I'm sure it isn't, else it would possibly not that obvious :) Also, it was mentioned before multiple times in this thread.

Alright, I see it now. That's cool, but if that's the level of attentiveness and awareness I am expected to live up to, then I don't think I will be able to make it all the way through this game.

If you'd ask me, this is probably just the beginning of the attentiveness you'd have to put into it. And don't worry, it's supposed to be a hidden thing by design, I didn't see it immediately either. Now, figuring out how that plays into any puzzle, or how a puzzle plays into that image, that would probably be the next question :D

JonnyKong

God damn it. Everytime I finally settle down with the decision that I'm not going to buy this because I know it will frustrate me as puzzle games do, I watch a trailer for it and instantly think HOLY SHIT I WANNA PLAY THAT. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet aren't I. I may even treat myself to a new notepad specifically for this game.

Trouble

Banned
If anyone is going to be hyper-conscious of spoilers on this game -- which is their prerogative -- then they should probably start avoiding all discussion of it on NeoGAF right now. If you're reading a thread that's discussing official PR media from a game, anything people can conceivably figure out from that media is fair game.

I feel like it's probably more easter egg-y than spoilery. I'm fairly certain the game is going to be riddled with that sort of thing.

FelipeMGM

Does anyone know the time of the embargo? I sure want to check the Gaf review thread

Is Sony going to advertise it or anything? Maybe a PS+ discount? Any kind of marketing/partnership, or are they just along for the ride?

They have been promoting the game via PS Blog posts, videos and even the PS Blogcast. And I bet it will be very highlighted on PS Store on tuesday

bought it, probably won't get around to playing it forever. :(

hopefully he gets enough to for a nice crystal china piss jar for the next game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
God damn it. Everytime I finally settle down with the decision that I'm not going to buy this because I know it will frustrate me as puzzle games do, I watch a trailer for it and instantly think HOLY SHIT I WANNA PLAY THAT. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet aren't I. I may even treat myself to a new notepad specifically for this game.

i was thinking of picking up a new moleskin and doing this OG style

OneUh8

As odd as this may sound, I think I am going to hold out on this game in hope that it will have PSVR support. I want to experience it that way the first time. Also I have too many games I am playing now :)

Tip your head to the left. It's a sideways image. :p

I still don't get it. That's how reflections work. I've always thought they're beautiful, and with really clear water they mirror everything.

Unless you're referring to something other than the symmetry of reflection.

I still don't get it. That's how reflections work. I've always thought they're beautiful, and with really clear water they mirror everything.

Unless you're referring to something other than the symmetry of reflection.

If you look hard enough you can see
lots of rocks

kiguel182

Damn, the word of mouth seems like it's going to push me to buy it.

The idea of an 80 hour puzzle game isn't super appealing to me but if it's that good I'll have to grab it (once my backlog clears a little bit).

Afro

I'm definitely including this thread in the |OT|. Cool stuff, Badass. 8 years. Feels like I've had this avatar since forever.

Damn, the word of mouth seems like it's going to push me to buy it.

The idea of an 80 hour puzzle game isn't super appealing to me but if it's that good I'll have to grab it (once my backlog clears a little bit).

It definitely seems to be best pick up 'n play game that you play in between other games.

But there's a layer of depth in this game judging by some early twitter reactions and from Blow himself. Something you need to 'Witness' first hand and you will probably miss by doing small playthroughs.

I honestly feel this game features a lot more than meets the eye.

By the way, as someone who is really not that smart at puzzles, I think people are really underestimating the importance of open world.

It's going to be a much appreciated component of the game that will make the game very much accessible for players and break down the intimidation "puzzle" games bring people.

Also, if this game ends up as something extraordinary, will it be safe to say that Blow is one of the best in the biz? A lot of people seem to think that Braid was a one hit wonder, or are at least doubtful of Witness.

I'm curious and hopeful that Blow can grow even greater, since he very clearly has worked bit by bit to get to where he is at. It's going to be interesting to see where he goes next and if he decides to spend all his Witness money on whatever he decides on next.

I had that as my phone background for a month and never noticed that. Holy shit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hadn't seen or read anything about this since the PS4 reveal, after reading this thread I am day 1.

So i'm guessing that means
the line line puzzle ends where the apple lies on the tree?

edit: wait
are the pink trees lined up deliberately as well?

Yeah - pretty much:
the panel gives you a hint to what information you're looking for, but the true puzzle is an environmental one, while still being a 'line puzzle' when you boil it down. The green tree that stands out has the perfect number of branches and splits and all that.

Top Bottom