• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series are on sale on Steam; go grab one of the BEST Action RPG series ever

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
2 will blow you away, ark will make you go WHO THE FUCK DID THESE HIT BOXES on a few bosses but still fun if it's the first you play in that game style, Oath will make you go HOLY SHIT THIS IS WHAT THEY WANTED TO DO, then Origin will make you go ALL MY TRAINING HAS COME TO THIS. Then Seven will make you go, why the fuck can't I jump, HOLY FUCK IM THERE IS SHIT EVERYWEHRE HOLY FUCK SO MANY SKILLS PEW PEW HOLY FUCK IM THE PARRY GOD. Then celceta will make you go YOU'RE TOO SLOW TIME TO WRECK YOUR ASS

Idk something like that, could be a little exaggerated idk

FWIW the bolded only applies to nightmare. Origin is easier than Oath in Felghana on other difficulties.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FWIW the bolded only applies to nightmare. Origin is easier than Oath in Felghana on other difficulties.
Unless you only play the game as Hugo then it's one of the easiest action rpgs of all time :D

Going from nightmare yunica to nightmare Hugo felt like I just entered about 50 cheat codes

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you only play the game as Hugo then it's one of the easiest action rpgs of all time :D

Going from nightmare yunica to nightmare Hugo felt like I just entered about 50 cheat codes

That too. I always forget about Hugo, don't find him very fun to play as.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ys 2 is one of my favorite games in the entire series. Once you get a to the point where you can fight the first boss the game style changes pretty dramatically and you only get more over powered as time goes on.

Has some of the best boss fights in the series imo

Alright, this was good advice. Ys II is fucking awesome. Ys I was like an 8/10 sorta game for me, but this is an easy 10. It's basically everything I like about games.

Jeb

I dont have time to go through all of em, thinking of just getting origins and see through that if I want more.

How much will I miss out if I do that?

Tizoc

I dont have time to go through all of em, thinking of just getting origins and see through that if I want more.

Not much; the plots are stand alone and origin is fine on its own

preta

Origin's story is strongly connected to I and II, and is much better with knowledge of them. If you're just going to get one game, make it Oath in Felghana - it has very few connections to other games story-wise and it's easily one of the best in the series.

13ruce

Banned
Got Oath on vita today and origins on ps4 a few days ago i only played a few hours of memories but i loved it. Can't wait to delve futher into the series when 8 comes out this fall.

Will read a story summary on 1 and 2 for origins and maybe play/buy them and the rest later got a huge backlog right now xd.

javadoze

Picked up Oath (my first Ys game) as part of the summer steam sale and I've only played like 20 minutes. Got my ass kicked by the first boss, but the music and the combat is oh so satisfying.

EDIT: FUCK YES! I BEAT IT!

MoonFrog

Played through Ys I these past two days in Ys I&II Complete +. Liked it a lot. They were pretty damn creative with the bosses for having such a simple combat design. It was quite cool.

Playing II now. Just beat that icicle shooting, jumping boss. Pretty exhilarating. I do miss the straight bump approach a bit atm, because there is a bit of dissonance between boss and standard enemies this way, but still a really well-designed encounter, imo.

Bump combat also amuses me because it reminds me of how amusing random sprite walking paths used to be to me in, say, Pokemon as a kid. Now the weird twists and turns and walking into things is something I have to pay a lot of attention to. It really draws you into the goofy world of the 2D NPC.

Buckle

Snagged Chronicles, Origin and Oath during the sale.

Been wanting a nice simple action RPG lately and these games seem to fit the bill.

Bump system is interesting, pretty much turns Adol into a locomotive of unstoppable death that theres no reasoning with or remorse once he gets a level up.

The Japanese bullet train of JRPG protagonists.

Top Bottom