• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a shortage of cooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked as a dishwasher for a world known fine dining establishment during university. Line cooks there got paid the same as me. Long hours, physically demanding, hot, no shit no one wants to do it. That stint showed me how important school is.

Dishwasher I'm currently working with earns £1400 a month after taxes I earn £1176. Mind you I'm lifting the heavier stuff as a line cook during prep time

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gonna bail out next year

... Unemployment is 4.7%. This is as low as unemployment can safely be. From here on out we are going to do more and more damage to our economy the lower that % goes.

In this situation, always described in terms like "labor shortage" or "tight labor market" or whatever other garbage they can use to not say "unemployment is too low" (because they will never ever ever say that) jobs on the lower end of the spectrum suffer. Cooks and retail, and jobs like that. They suffer because office jobs are hiring as well in the "tight labor market" and people would prefer to do those jobs.

Continue on with a pathetic economic system that falls apart if we dare to employ more than 95% of our humans.

I'm going to risk sounding incredibly ignorant of the cooking scene.

What is the difference between a cook, and a chef? Sounds like Chef is just a glorified cook title, but most chefs seem intent on not doing as much cooking and just barking orders. (Like most shits in management)

What is the difference between a cook, and a chef? Sounds like Chef is just a glorified cook title, but most chefs seem intent on not doing as much cooking and just barking orders. (Like most shits in management)

Usually the chef is first in command, there maybe be a sous chef or two who would rank right below. Everyone else is a line cook, pretty much the grunt of the cooking team who gets bossed around to do everything.

Will M

I believe cooks don't necessarily have some sort of culinary training. So they're mainly executing recipes, preparing dishes, and doing all the work the chefs dont. Chefs have gone to school and are a more creative and supervisory position where they make sure their recipes are actually selling. You could make the same analogy when you look at doctors versus nurses in some respects.

I believe cooks don't necessarily have some sort of culinary training. So they're mainly executing recipes, preparing dishes, and doing all the work the chefs dont. Chefs have gone to school and are a more creative and supervisory position where they make sure their recipes are actually selling. You could make the same analogy when you look at doctors versus nurses in some respects.

When you put it like that, it makes sense.

Though man all those culinary schools on tv commercials really lie about what a chef does and show a bunch of actors preparing dishes in fancy uniforms in brilliant white smiles, hope no one fell for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom