• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things/events in Games so Rare/Poorly Documented that Nobody Else Knows they Exist

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Goldeen in Melee can actually do massive damage, but there's an astronomically small chance of it happening.

I've had Melee for 14 years, and I've only seen it happen once.

woopWOOP

Trip World is hardly documented anywhere so I guess it counts.

There's a type of enemy that appears once in each stage, but is hidden pretty well in stage 3 and 4 in particular. Nothing special about it, it's just there in a secret room that's hard to reach. Had to find the remaining locations myself because there's nothing on it online.

L Thammy

Of the top of my head, in Mother 3, there's a random tree that has text on it, which you can find it you check it. There's no reason to expect that. Tomato learned that it there when he was translating the game.

I think they're commonly known because you can find them on cheat sites, but some other things that come to mind are the mermaid evolution in EVO and Mu in Terranigma. The mermaid is a particular evolution you that only becomes available in one area in the game, and you can't evolve straight into it. The area where you can revive Mu in Terranigma is hidden in a nondescript area of the map and can only be accessed at the very beginning of the game.

Also in Terranigma, there are enemies called cadets who paralyze you if they look in your eyes. There's a very rare chance that instead of giving you a look, they give you a sexy look, which is even more effective.

RedToad64

I feel like it is not very well know that you can play as Master Hand in Smash Bros. Melee. The easter egg requires two controllers:

-Start by going to Versus (VS) Mode and Melee.
-Have a controller in "3 Player" and one in "1 Player."
-Have Player 3 be "No Character" and click on Add New Name, then have Player 1 choose a character and have him/her go to "Back.
-Have them push A at the same time if not "Back," then 1 millisecond later push the Add Name button.
-If it goes to Stage Selection choose one.

This actually works. Sounds completely made up, but it works. It was probably used for testing purposes.

Link1110

That BoF2 thing is new to me, too, and I've replayed that game many many times.

I'd be curious to know how long it took to discover some of the weird secrets from Final Fantasy IV like the PinkPuffs and Adamant Armor, and the weird 2 RedGiant battle in the Lunar temple by pressing A in front of the HP restore tile. My assumption is that they were discovered through rom hacks.

The FAQ I used back in 1996 had this and snes emulators didn't exist back then so it was probably in a Japanese guide book or something

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You can get past the infamous barrel in Sonic 3 by having Tails jump on it and then Sonic can spin dash under it and squeeze through.

I have never heard anybody mention this, even though I've actually heard several times how people found ways to actually clip through the barrel and walls around it.

Also, if you have a turbo controller, just keep jumping on the barrel thing and Sonic will go down.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like it is not very well know that you can play as Master Hand in Smash Bros. Melee. The easter egg requires two controllers:

This actually works. Sounds completely made up, but it works. It was probably used for testing purposes.

Its definitely a bug not an easter egg, but regardless its still really damn cool and crazy it took this long to discover.

Myriadis

In Super Mario 64, you can move the camera for the final cutscene and credits around by using a second controller. I wonder how long it took to discover this.

Chao

If you give your Altered Beast for Mega Drive cartridge a flick or move it a little while in the press start screen a menu will appear that will let you choose between different options. I don't have the game anymore so I can't test it and the last time I did it was like 22 years ago, but I remember you could change a number of options.

This was doing absolutely nothing on the control pad, just by messing with the cartridge itself.

Oh and sometimes it also glitched the graphics for the energy bar.

Actually, Could someone please try it on his/her mega drive and take a picture for me? Now I'm curious on what the trick did exactly

It was a bundled Altered beast with one of the first Pal mega drive models if that helps.

SkyOdin

That BoF2 thing is new to me, too, and I've replayed that game many many times.

I'd be curious to know how long it took to discover some of the weird secrets from Final Fantasy IV like the PinkPuffs and Adamant Armor, and the weird 2 RedGiant battle in the Lunar temple by pressing A in front of the HP restore tile. My assumption is that they were discovered through rom hacks.
The Pink Tail was listed among the fairly comprehensive item list at the back of the game's manual, which served as a strategy guide of sorts for at least half of the game. Of course, that same item list included a mention of the Hand Axe, a weapon that was dummied out of the game. I am pretty sure that the Adamant Armor was mentioned in an old issue of Nintendo Power back when the game was released. It was one of those open secrets, like the Zodiac Spear in FFXII.

I am pretty sure I stumbled across the Giants in the Lunar Palace by shear accident as a kid, though.

RedSpring

Neo Member
There are different versions of the multiplayer stages in Star Fox Assault. An easy one to tell is Corneria where there is a version with no tree. In the water base stage, if you went to the room with the weird machine in the middle and look up, you can tell that the model is different. I don't know how to switch between the version but I don't think it's random since I can get the same version back to back and have to switch Gamecube to see the other one.

Orb

Silent Hill 3 actually makes me think im insane sometimes with something like this.

There's an underpass/sewer area in the game that is completely normal(save for the monsters) and theres no otherworld shenanigans there.

But on new game +(
a mode pretty much nobody is really gonna play because horror games arent typically the kind to replay a lot despite unlockables
) the stairs leading down into it get a gradual pulsating vein texture like in the Otherworld, and several rooms after this are full on grotesquely bloody and pulsating, and if you stand in them long enough you die. It only affects the first few rooms and a useless hallway, with most of the level being otherwise normal and nowhere else in the game changes to something like this as far as i know.

Ive known this for so long and feel crazy because ive never seen it brought up anywhere by anyone. Its such a weird, super non canon thing i feel likee it was a mistake.

Two years old and widely known now, but the fact that you can hold A and restart from the beginning of a world in the original Super Mario Bros, and this was not discovered for thirty years after its release, still blows my mind. Makes the game a heckuva lot easier to complete too, lol.

No, I think this was known during the time. I remember doing it. Hold start and push a button to continue or access a cheat menu was a common mechanic in old games so we'd always experiment. Milon's Secret Castle uses left and start, for example.

Silent Hill 3 actually makes me think im insane sometimes with something like this.

There's an underpass/sewer area in the game that is completely normal(save for the monsters) and theres no otherworld shenanigans there.

But on new game +(
a mode pretty much nobody is really gonna play because horror games arent typically the kind to replay a lot despite unlockables
) the stairs leading down into it get a gradual pulsating vein texture like in the Otherworld, and several rooms after this are full on grotesquely bloody and pulsating, and if you stand in them long enough you die. It only affects the first few rooms and a useless hallway, with most of the level being otherwise normal and nowhere else in the game changes to something like this as far as i know.

Ive known this for so long and feel crazy because ive never seen it brought up anywhere by anyone. Its such a weird, super non canon thing i feel likee it was a mistake.
It's been known, when you play the Insane difficulty after you beat the game random parts of the game get fleshy and damage you. Also the spike trap in the Borley Haunted Mansion can straight up kill you unlike in the other difficulties.

Orb

It's been known, when you play the Insane difficulty after you beat the game random parts of the game get fleshy and damage you. Also the spike trap in the Borley Haunted Mansion can straight up kill you unlike in the other difficulties.
Ive never seen any other area do that, and its always happened on lower difficulties(ive only ever bearen it on easy and normal)

Maybe it was just the HD Collection fucking up?

Ive never seen any other area do that, and its always happened on lower difficulties(ive only ever bearen it on easy and normal)

Maybe it was just the HD Collection fucking up?
I think some of it may be random, you're just guaranteed more to get the flesh rooms on Insane.

Hey, this is a modern one that I found last night. It might be known but it amazed me the effort would be put into something so unlikely for players to stumble across. Anyway, in Assassin's Creed Syndicate there's a guy sitting in a chair reading to three kids that I found in a park. If you come up real close and listen to the dialogue you'll realize it's Lewis Carroll and he's reading "The Jabbererwocky." He even takes a few asides to talk about writing it. He also tells the kids he's going to read them "The Walrus and the Carpenter" next but when it loops is just "The Jabberwocky" again. Looking it up he can pop up in a couple other locations, but still pretty neat to find.

Pokemaniac

That is almost certainly a bug. I'm pretty sure master hand just happens to coincide with whatever value is used to signify no character has been chosen.

Carnby

1. Insert Altered Beast into Sega Genesis and power on
2. At the main menu, remove the cartridge without turning off the console
3. Insert Strider and press reset
4. Begin a game of Strider with 30 lives.

I don't know how this actually works, but it works. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but I can vouch this is true. I did it a few times myself.

Edit: never mind. A quick google search shows me this is common knowledge. Doh.

Pokemaniac

1. Insert Altered Beast into Sega Genesis and power on
2. At the main menu, remove the cartridge without turning off the console
3. Insert Strider and press reset
4. Begin a game of Strider with 30 lives.

I don't know how this actually works, but it works. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but I can vouch this is true. I did it a few times myself.

This most probably has to do with some leftover data in the RAM that isn't cleared during the reset. Pretty sure there's a similar trick you can do with certain NES games.

This most probably has to do with some leftover data in the RAM that isn't cleared during the reset. Pretty sure there's a similar trick you can do with certain NES games.

I remember reading about these hotswapping cheats and glitches, at least for Genesis, in old gaming magazines. If you rip out Sonic 2 and swap in Sonic 3 it unlocks the level select, for example. It can damage the cart, though.

SkyOdin

I remember reading about these hotswapping cheats and glitches, at least for Genesis, in old gaming magazines. If you rip out Sonic 2 and swap in Sonic 3 it unlocks the level select, for example. It can damage the cart, though.
There is a similar trick you can do to sequence break in Secret of Mana, if I recall correctly.

Hmm, a tough criteria where most stuff only somewhat works. Still:

In Body Harvest on the N64 it was decently known about the cheat* code weaponry you could get that changed from stage to stage.

However, upon the latter stages of the game it shifts your sniper rifle into a...pretty strong single shot. What many didn't realize, was that if you used that weapon within a vehicle, it had a ludicrous recoil that, when angled on terrain right, could essentially allow you to shoot yourself suddenly across an entire region----things got crazy.

Pretty sure there is also some ultra-rare stuff slim to nobody has reckoned on getting on Flying Dragon 64...

Rirse

Neo Member
I can't seem to find if anyone ever document this online or not, but there is a area I found as a kid in Final Fantasy II (IV) for the SNES. In the underground section there is a small patch of land on the west you can only reach with the airship with unique enemies you can only fight there.

43D6nr7.jpg

Using the Sight Spell, you can see this is south of the Sypha Cave.

kA1yVRf.jpg

And here the patch of land.

w1DEekV.jpg

This is just one of a few enemy formations that are unique to this three title of land.

Deft Beck

In the US PS2 version of DDR Extreme, there's a song called Memories on the disc that can't be unlocked through any conventional means. No one could figure out how to unlock it until two years later, when you beat a Flash mini game on the Burger King promo site for a later DDR game, it gives you the code for Memories.

Two years and this is how people found out.

Oh yeah! And related to this! With the debug build, when one spawns you can control it.

Just following up on the vagrant thing... I saw my first one after about 20 hours of play, really confused me! Was cool when I found out what it was...

Saw a second one at around hour 100 to 110 so I guess I was super lucky?

Off the top of my head - Quest for Glory 4's special attacks and the Whirlwind spell. It's been many years since I last touched the game but I remember when I was a kid I played it and there were the weirdest missing things in the game. The manual mentions a whirlwind spell that doesn't seem to exist anywhere, and the classes are each supposed to have a super move in combat that triggered in secret ways. I don't remember any walkthrough back in the day that explained how to manually trigger them but I remember seeing the cartwheel attack for the rogue when I used autobattle. It was weiiiiiird.

I think the whirlwind spell got cut from the final game and the cartwheel you see as the thief is basically a flip attack that you get for investing in acrobatics skills. It was never very well explained in-game.

I think the Coles put a whirlwind spell in QFG 5 because one wasn't in 4.

1upsuper

Here's one of my favorites.

There's a Famicom game called Erika to Satoru no Yume Bouken. Several years ago people discovered an arcane secret that requires waiting an hour and a half on the ending screen and inputting a button combo via both controllers. The secret is a ranty message from one of the programmers who directly insults various coworkers of his during the development of the game, complains about the project, and praises a couple coworkers. He also mentions one of his coworkers swearing off soaplands, which is...an odd tidbit. You can read a full translation of the message here.

ZPs

So here's one out there that I swear happened but perhaps could have been imagined.

I remember extremely vivdly playing Super Mario Kart back in the 90s, and somehow using a Yoshi Egg as Yoshi. Bearing in mind that for Super Mario Kart each racer when computer controlled had special abilities that they used that players couldn't use. Of course, I was never able to replicate this, and nothing on the internet has ever enlightened me on it since. Sad times.

Top Bottom