• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about ditching Sky TV, alternatives?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty8787

I currently pay £32.50 for FULL sky package including the 80meg fiber broadband.

Ring, cancel and wait until the last couple of days until they cut you off, they will ring between but keep saying no, on the last few days they will offer around 75% off.

Failing that, get a small HTPC and install Kodi.

Gonzalez

Banned
Ditch Sky TV? How the hell will you be able to bet on video horse racing, or watch 50 channels of women fondling themselves clothed(or unclothed depending on the time)?

Symphonia

Banned
Ditch Sky TV? How the hell will you be able to bet on video horse racing, or watch a 50 channels of women fondling themselves clothed?
Tune in past midnight and they even begin to rub themselves through their panties.

Through their goddamn panties.

What a time to be alive.

Saying that, Beth and Preeti are damn fine.

ss1

Neo Member
We've switched from Sky to Freesat from Sky. We chose Freesat from Sky instead just Freesat due it having more of free channels that my other half is interested in. However, we didn't pay any fee to convert as has been suggested in earlier posts. You can just let your subscription lapse and the Sky box will revert to a Freesat from Sky service by default.

We left Sky since the breaking point for us was the fact that Sky kept increasing their montly fee every year for last couple of years consistently. Watching free channels and buying/renting on AppleTV is more than sufficient for us.

JoeNut

Freeview has a fair few channels, i've been tempted myself to get freeview, and subscribe to netflix, if you have a smart tv you can just watch netflix straight through that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bear in mind you won't be able to use DVR functions with freesat unless you pay the monthly fee for Sky+. and there are some channels missing that are available on freeview e.g. Dave

I suppose you could manage with catch up services for most programs, but I still think a DVR is really useful. You can pay sky £10pm to get recording only on that box, or buy a freesat recorder which records for free but obviously more up-front cost.

8bit

Knows the Score
I currently pay £32.50 for FULL sky package including the 80meg fiber broadband.

Ring, cancel and wait until the last couple of days until they cut you off, they will ring between but keep saying no, on the last few days they will offer around 75% off.

Failing that, get a small HTPC and install Kodi.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how does Kodi work as a replacement? Do you use a USB Satellite decoder or something? Last time I tried Kodi on a RPi it was a horrible experience so I may have missed something.

Footos22

I've just got Freeview and honestly, between that and On Demand services online, I don't feel any need to pay for a TV subscription.

This.

Dont miss sky at all. everything is available online and on demand and their hd quality was piss poor anyway. sky hd quality is about as clear as standard freeview. only took them a week to send me 75% off for 12 months offers. Still didn't take them up on it.

Stevey

Virgin Media.
152Mb/sec internet, no cap,free weekend and evening phone calls, biggest tv package, £65 a month

I'm paying £100 a month for Sky, includes fibre pro, line rental and one multiroom.

FML.

Me too. Last time I shopped around it wasn't really worth moving as there was very little difference in prices if I wanted a similar service.

Sport and Movies are the biggest cost, and I'm not prepared to give up the footy, and the Mrs likes the movies. I'm pretty happy with Sky anyway. The internet is pretty solid.

KidJr

Urgh I dont know how people watch and enjoy Now TV, I mean I guess as a barebones package it works ok.

It's slow unresponsive and the quality is awful.

It literally looked someone had poured fairly liquid in my eyes and then told me to watch TV. I have it through talk talk and hate it.

MilkyJoe

if you cancel the tv package you could stick a freesat card in the box and get that with no subscription.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

You don't even need to do that, they have to convert the card you have to free sat if you ask, that's what we did on our multiroom box and card.

ike others have said, rinf them up tell them you want out, and then you will get more for less.

But you will be in a contract, make no mistake about that,

8bit

Knows the Score
Urgh I dont know how people watch and enjoy Now TV, I mean I guess as a barebones package it works ok.

It's slow unresponsive and the quality is awful.

It literally looked someone had poured fairly liquid in my eyes and then told me to watch TV. I have it through talk talk and hate it.

I suspect this is part of your problem.

talk talk

I sometimes use a Now TV box overseas through a DNS forwarder and the quality isn't so bad. Last time I was at my parents place in the UK we tried to watch something on their talk talk box and it looked terrible.

I pay £6.00 for the Family pack. I told them that I was on a cost cutting mission and Sky is a luxury I couldn't afford. So they reduced the price dramatically, so I stayed for an extra year

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I don't watch telly much these days, just grab some episodes of stuff on Netflix now and then, and use iPlayer for Radio 4 comedies and Strictly Come Dancing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought the new Apple TV which has tvplayer app on it which streams the usual free channels. Quality is really good - seems roughly on par with HD broadcasts.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
interesting thread, I'm on the same boat as the OP, will keep reading. Already have Netflix but don't like watching tv on my pc so Prime is a no go for now

Matty8787

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how does Kodi work as a replacement? Do you use a USB Satellite decoder or something? Last time I tried Kodi on a RPi it was a horrible experience so I may have missed something.

I don't use Kodi as a live tv thing so wouldn't be able to answer that, but it shows me everything I would ever need to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom