• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is amazing. HD texture packs for nes games!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
This is something I have never seen before. It's a project that takes classic NES games, leaves the gameplay the same but massive upgrade to texture work. The nes had a very limited color pallete so this goes way beyond that too.

Drizzlehell

Banned
TeDF3xn.png

doubt-pout.gif

cireza

Might as well remake the games completely on MD or SNES for example, and make 16 bits visuals.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
So swapping out the sprite bitmaps with new versions and running them in an emulator that can handle the increased colors and resolution. Interesting idea.

CamHostage

There's good and bad in these asset replacement systems. Some are really well done and natural or refreshing, some are gaudy or distracting or ungainly.

These HD packs are individual to the artist who makes them, so they're unlike HD texture packs for 3D games, because 2D can't really be simply "upgraded" by reconstituting detail at higher resolution. (Although even those 3D packs are manipulative of the original assets, and sometimes are just wholly artist- or machine-driven intervention over the original intention. You can over-remaster a remaster.) It depends on how good the designer is in creating the new material.

It's not the way I would play a classic typically (unless the HD pack was really faithful,) but the good news is that the original basically plays exactly the same underneath the sprites and BGs. So people can barf at some of the badly-done replacement packs, but they're simply optional; play how you want to play, it's the same game in the end.

CamHostage

Might as well remake the games completely on MD or SNES for example, and make 16 bits visuals.

No, you don't want to do that. (Also, you can't do that, not easily at least, unless you are a competent programmer and graphical designer.) You want the game to be machine-accurate in performance to how it is supposed to play, no matter what graphics are displayed, and a port will not guarantee you that.

Look at for example the SNES remakes in Ninja Gaiden Trilogy: that game has minor enhancements over the three NES originals, but it's also full of bugs and the music for some reason has been botched or replaced. If you want to play these games, you want to play the NES originals, because this "upgraded" version is a downgrade. With the texture pack work done with the HD pack available through emulation, however, they've generally ripped the detail from the SNES version but overlayed it on the running NES version, which means you get the graphic improvements (where they exist) but you don't suffer the problems of an imperfect port.

Last edited:

flipsake

Neo Member
This is something I have never seen before. It's a project that takes classic NES games, leaves the gameplay the same but massive upgrade to texture work. The nes had a very limited color pallete so this goes way beyond that too.

The overlay for the Legend of Zelda looks awesome

cireza

Look at for example the SNES remakes in Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
So these specific ports where butchered.

But to answer you, indeed you don't want to remake these games. Because when you are a competent developer, you are also smart, and know that your time will be better spent on a brand new game on which you will own all the rights.

Last edited:

CamHostage

But to answer you, indeed you don't want to remake these games. Because when you are a competent developer, you are also smart, and know that your time will be better spent on a brand new game on which you will own all the rights.

But the people making these packs are not competent developers (or at least they are not working in a professional capacity.) These are ROM hackers doing work for fun (or maybe a minor kickback/tips, depending on the distro site.

It's fan work.

These people are not making games. They are making graphic packs for emulation players.

Last edited:

pepodmc_

Yeah, the sprite pack for ice climbers its amazing, not only improve the sprites and add a background for the stages, it even adds new frames of animation for some things in the game.

Looks really good

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This has been a thing for nearly 25 years. EmuDX came out in the late 90s and supported replacement tiles.

There are even emulators that can replace the 2D graphics with 3D models or voxels and run in VR.

CamHostage

Why not look at Super Mario All Stars?
Sure, look at it. That was made by some of the best game developers in the world as a key product for a major publisher. (And it still has slight differences in play than the originals, some for the better, but still. ) To make a perfect port takes time, effort, and talent.

That's not what we're talking about here. This is just fan-made ROM hacks.

If some publisher really got a head of steam to make a NES-perfect port with enhanced graphics overlays of Nuts&Milk for SNES or MegaDrive (or even if done entrrprising can really wanted to do it from scratch because they love N&M and they love the SNES i guess?), then ok, whatever, but that'll never happen. These rom hacks did, so go play them if you like them.

CamHostage

Well of course. But at some point, if you are serious about something, you can invest the time in it. Just saying.

Not sure what your point is?

If you want to do a doodle of a pretty lady, do you have to paint the Mona Lisa or else why bother?

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
A couple of them look okay(ie. Zelda 1, Shatterhand) but all in all seems like a downgrade from the originals. The animation really holds some of them back. Still it's interesting none the less.

CGNoire

Well of course. But at some point, if you are serious about something, you can invest the time in it. Just saying.
I know what your saying but as an artist I love the fact that you can update the colors since the lack of color is the biggest thing holding back nes games. Sadly most hobbiest dont have the skillset to make it all around better amd usually ot ends up looking like a shit flash game.

CamHostage

A couple of them look okay(ie. Zelda 1, Shatterhand) but all in all seems like a downgrade from the originals. The animation really holds some of them back. Still it's interesting none the less.

Yep, the original works are the way they are for reasons (mostly purposeful, some just by limitation of the tech which then made those compromises a specifically identifiable quality,) and they were made by professional talents in their day. These ROM hacks are not produced under the same conditions, for better or worse. Some of them use thinner, more realistically-proportioned sprites (as the originals exaggerated features to fit the sprite color and size and division limitations,) some don't have a clear color scheme (which was "easier" to manage back when NES could only show 54 colors on the screen anyway,) some add animation but then stand out because they don't add enough animation (because it still all has to fit the frame sequences and timing; these aren't reprograms of the original games, they're made to run on top of the emulator as best as possible,) etc. It's an artistry of some degree to do this work right, and these fan-works are unlikely to have that full investment to do them "right".

But some are pretty good, or at least add are novel ways to play these old games. And they all play the same (except for the few cases where they add interrupts or change the game's performance/mechanics,) so you are still getting the gameplay you enjoy. The performance hacks (like the Mode 7 HD patch or the Super Gradius chip clock fix) and the full campaign replacement hacks feel more interesting to me, but have fun with what you like, and leave out the stuff that doesn't do it for you.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I know what your saying but as an artist I love the fact that you can update the colors since the lack of color is the biggest thing holding back nes games. Sadly most hobbiest dont have the skillset to make it all around better amd usually ot ends up looking like a shit flash game.

You'll see some of these patches come out more frequently with AI graphic tools, as the fans don't necessairly have to be artists to use those. (Whether AI can find a way to enhance NES graphics, with their repeating tiles and segmented sprites and just generally indistinct graphic elements that only work when put together, I don't know but AI is already being used for PS1 and other more modern games; some developers are even using AI enhancement tools in their professional game remasters.)

I'd be curious if anyone would ever consider making "Pro/Turbo" versions of old consoles via FPGA, with enhanced assets available. Think FamiCube for instance.

CGNoire

You'll see some of these patches come out more frequently with AI graphic tools, as the fans don't necessairly have to be artists to use those. (Whether AI can find a way to enhance NES graphics, with their repeating tiles and segmented sprites and just generally indistinct graphic elements that only work when put together, I don't know but AI is already being used for PS1 and other more modern games; some developers are even using AI enhancement tools in their professional game remasters.)
Im not convinced AI can figure out "real low rez" pixel art though. Like neo geo fighting games probably but 32x32 characters with 1 pixel details I would think would take a human brain to discern. In fact even popular AI upscale algorithms cant seem to extract very much detail from super low res textures with small one pixel details either and end up creating antialiased visual gibberish instead. I feel theres too much of a human factor involved in interpretating beyond a certain low res threshold. In fact even humans cant fully agree on what some low res sprites are even "supposed" to look like.

Last edited:

stranno

Texture packs in 2D consoles, especially NES and SMS (HiSMS also supports these packs) just don't fit. It's like trying to use another texture pack in Minecraft, you always come back to the vanilla one.

And, since there are very few animation frames and simple physics, contrast is just too high between the high quality graphics and the barebones engine. It is like swapping 8K textures and ray-tracing into Skyrim, graphics just feel wrong, you need a new engine to support those new assets.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Im not convinced AI can figure out "real low rez" pixel art though. Like neo geo fighting games probably but 32x32 characters with 1 pixel details I would think would take a human brain to discern. In fact even popular AI upscale algorithms cant seem to extract very much detail from super low res textures with small one pixel details either and end up creating antialiased visual gibberish instead. I feel theres too much of a human factor involved in interpretating beyond a certain low res threshold. In fact even humans cant fully agree on what some low res sprites are even "supposed" to look like.
No, you're mostly right; it's happening for other platforms with higher levels of detail, but getting any "detail" out of the NES... I mean the same tile in Super Mario works for both bushes and clouds, how's AI supposed to make sense of that?

However, I could see whole scenes of games fed into AI, and then it's guesses at what it sees could be then subdivided and reintegrated as tiles. Or heck, the ai could learn from fan art and screen shots what pixel art is (it kind of already has) and make its own interpreting of characters. So it knows what Mega Man looks like in grand, and it knows what people think Mega Man looks like in art, and it could try I synthesize.

So i don't think "enhanced" will work out with 8bit though ai. But for sure, people will try weird stuff with it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom