• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You could argue that a players options are more restricted in certain areas of the map in this game, but you could also argue that more variable presentations of the distinct options a player has across maps segments affords more diverse gameplay experiences as you traverse from one section of the map, to another.

While TF1 allowed for continual wall jumping and aerial traversal, the new map design forces players to 'make do' with what they have in different scenarios. I don't resent that personally.

You are defending these maps complete with their wide open spaces and simplistic, single tier structures that are claustrophobic on the inside? Ok then, I'm done.

SwolBro

Banned
oh noos tech test over =(

despite my initial reaction, and some of the stuff that still pisses me off, i had a fucking blast these 3+ days with the tech test and i cant' wait for next weekend.

it's a good game people.

SmallCleanAnemone.gif

PrestigiousTheseBumblebee.gif

Notice the speed, verticality (how high up you are) and lack of open fields.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
oh noos tech test over =(

despite my initial reaction, and some of the stuff that still pisses me off, i had a fucking blast these 3+ days with the tech test and i cant' wait for next weekend.

it's a good game people.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I never played the first so this thread is kind of weird for me. I enjoyed what I played quite a bit, just have a few issues with the Titans, but most of the complaints are about what has changed so I can't actually weigh in on anything.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I never played the first so this thread is kind of weird for me. I enjoyed what I played quite a bit, just have a few issues with the Titans, but most of the complaints are about what has changed so I can't actually weigh in on anything.

just enjoy it, it's good. Respawn devs aren't stupid, they're listening and i'm sure a lot of the complaints from fans of the first game will be addressed.

You are defending these maps complete with their wide open spaces and simplistic, single tier structures that are claustrophobic on the inside? Ok then, I'm done.

You're done because I said something you didn't agree with? I don't get it, but you do you man.

I don't have a problem with T1s maps (though I only played a little of them), but I don't have a problem with T2s maps either. Sorry I missed the memo about two story maps somehow automatically equalling better design. It's actually been a common trend to avoid verticality in map design as a means of limiting the variables a player is exposed to at any one time.

There's a degree to which that it enhances the games skill ceiling, but there's also a degree with which that you add so many variables for the player to acclimate to that the game becomes limited, and players adopt a defensive playstyle as a means of attempting to control those variables themselves.

While people happily post gifs of hi-octain T1 gameplay, if you actually watch matches from Gamebattles on T1, half of these matches seem to take place on the rooftops. With players avoiding running both buildings and the more isolated areas of the maps, essentially maximising their line of sight while minimisizing the sightlines that they are exposed to.

It's interesting to watch actually, because it perhaps underpins some of the other changes such as the removal of Titan shields. At higher levels of play I frequently saw Titans on T1 engaging in near endless mid-long range gunfights, taking turns to drop each others shields and then dropping away, often sitting in a single Titan for the entire round. The way people talk about it with this grass is always greener mentality just doesn't match many of the high level gameplay videos out there, sadly.

Either way, I wasn't saying it was the right decision, I was just saying it wasn't a one sided argument, and that the benefits of arguably more varied map design were something to think of too.

You could say the same about the movement speed. I think Titanfall 2 is analogeous with Street Fighter in that way. SF3 was super fast paced and extremely execution heavy, but it ended up being pretty inaccessible, SFV is the slowest in the series and easier on its execution, but it ended up being a more inviting game. While the skill ceiling is still very high, with top players still performing as they always were, the reduced pacing of the game made the experience more accessible to newcomers and made players feel as though they could get better. You can watch the gameplay of a top player in SFV and think 'Hey, I could do that if I was a little bit better', but in SFIV or SF3, some of the gameplay looks so alien to those at lower levels of play. It's the same with TF, I can see many looking at some of this gameplay from better players and thinking 'Man, I'll never be that good', and slowing things down a little doesn't prevent those top players mastering the new movement systems and performing as top players in the game, but it might make achieving that seem a little more doable to those new to the series.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You're done because I said something you didn't agree with? I don't get it, but you do you man.

I don't have a problem with T1s maps (though I only played a little of them), but I don't have a problem with T2s maps either. Sorry I missed the memo about two story maps somehow automatically equalling better design. It's actually been a common trend to avoid verticality in map design as a means of limiting the variables a player is exposed to at any one time.

There's a degree to which that it enhances the games skill ceiling, but there's also a degree with which that you add so many variables for the player to acclimate to that the game becomes limited, and players adopt a defensive playstyle as a means of attempting to control those variables themselves.

While people happily post gifs of hi-octain T1 gameplay, if you actually watch matches from Gamebattles on T1, half of these matches seem to take place on the rooftops. With players avoiding running both buildings and the more isolated areas of the maps, essentially maximising their line of sight while minimisizing the sightlines that they are exposed to.

It's interesting to watch actually, because it perhaps underpins some of the other changes such as the removal of Titan shields. At higher levels of play I frequently saw Titans on T1 engaging in near endless mid-long range gunfights, taking turns to drop each others shields and then dropping away, often sitting in a single Titan for the entire round.

Either way, I wasn't saying it was the right decision, I was just saying it wasn't a one sided argument, and that the benefits of arguably more varied map design were something to think of too.

You could say the same about the movement speed. I think Titanfall 2 is analogeous with Street Fighter in that way. SF3 was super fast paced and extremely execution heavy, but it ended up being pretty inaccessible, SFV is the slowest in the series and easier on its execution, but it ended up being a more inviting game. While the skill ceiling is still very high, with top players still performing as they always were, the reduced pacing of the game made the experience more accessible to newcomers and made players feel as though they could get better. You can watch the gameplay of a top player in SFV and think 'Hey, I could do that if I was a little bit better', but in SFIV or SF3, some of the gameplay looks so alien to those at lower levels of play. It's the same with TF, I can see many looking at some of this gameplay from better players and thinking 'Man, I'll never be that good', and slowing things down a little doesn't prevent those top players mastering the new movement systems and performing as top players in the game, but it might make achieving that seem a little more doable to those new to the series.

I'm done because your opinion is so counter to mine it's utterly useless to debate. As you said, "You do you".

Tenshin

first time playing titanfall. man the tech test was great. amazing how titans move fluidly in the map really awesome! cant wait this weekend again. cant believe this will come out a week after bf1. this has me more excited now than bf1

I'm done because your opinion is so counter to mine it's utterly useless to debate. As you said, "You do you".

I mean, if you were just going to say that you were 'done' that's always implied when someone doesn't reply. If you want to let me know that you don't want to give my comment a reply, then not replying in itself, implies that. I'm done doesn't come across as my opinion is so counter to yours that you don't see any point in replying, it's ambiguous and makes me feel that I've irritated you or something like that.

That aside, having a strong counter opinion doesn't mean a conversation isn't worth while, if anything it makes it more interesting. My opinion isn't that the new systems are better, but that I like them. There are certainly advantages to the way both T1 and T2 were designed, and there's certainly a number of things I hope they improve from the T2 alpha.

Map design, isn't realistically going to be one of those things though. Most if not all of the maps will be ready by now, and I think it would be a major shift in the games design to replace them with T1 style maps. So ultimately if it's map design that's the killer for you, then I guess T2 isn't the game for you. I think in that regard - in the sense that that aspect of the game is unlikely to change - it's good to look at the positives instead.

I inow this is changing the subject, but is that representative of how the original Titanfall looks? Because that looks like arse.

TF1 was not known for its cutting edge graphics, though I still found a lot of the levels nice looking. TF2 has some noticeable improvements, the framerate and anti-aliasing are much better this time around on the Xbox One.

The game is not bad at all. Just increase the overall speed and thats it. Some people were complaining about just summoning 1 titan per match but at bounty hunt I can call 3 titans easily.

SwolBro

Banned

It's interesting to watch actually, because it perhaps underpins some of the other changes such as the removal of Titan shields. At higher levels of play I frequently saw Titans on T1 engaging in near endless mid-long range gunfights, taking turns to drop each others shields and then dropping away, often sitting in a single Titan for the entire round. The way people talk about it with this grass is always greener mentality just doesn't match many of the high level gameplay videos out there, sadly.

You realize those early gamebattle vids are before people really knew how to play the game at a high level right? The high level play, even though still conservative and heavily relied on head glitches more than actual movement, is still 100x more mobile and faster than the early gamebattles play.

Also, LTS tounraments are some of the funnest to watch because of the cat and mouse play. Having no shields in T1 LTS would have been really stupid,and it was during the beta for that game. If you drop a titan and you immediately get bombarded draining half your health you're practically fucked. Your titan is done. The shields in the first game gave really good players an opportunity to survive against all odds. Yet, even with the shields 2 pilots can take down a titan in a matter of seconds so imagine how it'd be now.

These two maps weren't very good because you could spawn trap far too easily and half the time you spawned out in the open with no means to get back quickly outside of engaging stim (which didn't replenish immediately upon death) on the bigger one. There's no parkour routes in that map, you had to walk across a fucking field lol. Not a single Titanfall map is like that in the original game. If the other maps are anything like these two we are fucked. the game is fucked. So, lets hope it's not.

There's a lot of potential here, they'll have to work night and day to make some serious changes though.

TheFatMan

I had a good time with the tech test. I hope they work on the grouping because it was pretty awful trying to stay in a group and queue up for some maps. But I wrote that off to it being an alpha test.

Maybe speed up the action and make the Ticks a little quicker to explode and I think this game will be going places!

You realize those early gamebattle vids are before people really knew how to play the game at a high level right? The high level play, even though still conservative and heavily relied on head glitches more than actual movement, is still 100x more mobile and faster than the early gamebattles play.

Also, LTS tounraments are some of the funnest to watch because of the cat and mouse play. Having no shields in T1 LTS would have been really stupid,and it was during the beta for that game. If you drop a titan and you immediately get bombarded draining half your health you're practically fucked. Your titan is done. The shields in the first game gave really good players an opportunity to survive against all odds. Yet, even with the shields 2 pilots can take down a titan in a matter of seconds so imagine how it'd be now.

These two maps weren't very good because you could spawn trap far too easily and half the time you spawned out in the open with no means to get back quickly outside of engaging stim (which didn't replenish immediately upon death) on the bigger one. There's no parkour routes in that map, you had to walk across a fucking field lol. Not a single Titanfall map is like that in the original game. If the other maps are anything like these two we are fucked. the game is fucked. So, lets hope it's not.

There's a lot of potential here, they'll have to work night and day to make some serious changes though.

You can google for videos in the last year, and they aren't any more interesting. If anything with time the videos seem to have regressed into more stationary styles of play, especially within CTF. The only time it seems to get a little more amped up is in pilot only CTF, and even then it depends on the map.

It's not like the field was empty there are objects that break sightlines, and some select opportunities to use the movement systems around those items in combat. Sure you can't wall run wherever you want to go, but it isn't as if your opponent can either, and it's not as if the games gunplay falls apart just because you're in a field. It still feels good to play in those areas, in my opinion.

I dont know how I feel about getting boosts for casually filling meter towards a Titan.

Though I get the feeling that they will work like burn cards-- buy packs/open loot for boosts, usable one time.

In TF1, you pick like 3 burn cards that are activated during respawn...

Here it seems you get one and earn it as you fill your meter.

SwolBro

Banned
You can google for videos in the last year, and they aren't any more interesting. If anything with time the videos seem to have regressed into more stationary styles of play, especially within CTF. The only time it seems to get a little more amped up is in pilot only CTF, and even then it depends on the map.

It's not like the field was empty there are objects that break sightlines, and some select opportunities to use the movement systems around those items in combat. Sure you can't wall run wherever you want to go, but it isn't as if your opponent can either, and it's not as if the games gunplay falls apart just because you're in a field. It still feels good to play in those areas, in my opinion.
But you're trying to compare tournament high level play to the overall play of a game. Competitive play is always stationary in nature. It's about map control.

You have fun in those open fields because those Respawn guys KNOW how to make fun gunplay. You'll have fun anywhere, really. The problem people are having is trying to get out of that field. Glowing bright while you traverse on foot across a map is stupid lol, especially for a TItanfall game where it's about mobility. If they offered you parkour routes out of there then ok but they don't.

And boomtown isn't a bad map, it just has god awful spawns. You can spawn trap too easily. No one likes being spawn trapped.

Depends entirely on your role. Playing mid is about controlling the map and is more stationary by nature. I generally run / chase the flag in comp games and am constantly moving.

I inow this is changing the subject, but is that representative of how the original Titanfall looks? Because that looks like arse.

Yes the original TTF isn't a looker lol, especially Angel City which is probably the worst looking map in the entire game (but the best map!).

Haha that's my clip. But even with the mechanics mastered, it is still distinctively SLOWER than TTF1. I can get over that distance in like 2/3 time tops in TTF1 even without stim, the momentum is massively nerfed.

SmallCleanAnemone.gif

So good!

Played like 10minutes today and hard point felt weird without the bots. Gameplay felt good but the map felt so different compared to OG TF. Also my aiming kept drifting. Thought maybe my DS4 was screwed up

It wasn't the best looking game but it looked fine and honestly it didn't really matter cause the game is so fun. That IQ in that gif is pretty poor

Baffling that there are no bots in amped hardpoint.
Map feels empty without them.

Bots in a shooter is pretty unique, I've enjoyed that as this is my first TF experience but it's bizarre they are in one mode only.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
SmallCleanAnemone.gif

There is a slight difference in speed (although it's difficult to tell with the gif framerate), but verticality and open spaces have nothing to do with overall changes to the formula. Afaik only this one TF2 map has been shown so far, so it seems a little early to be complaining about a lack of those things.

Alx

The trees aren't even a good hideout, since your opponents still see your outline. I tried hiding there when I had a decent amount of cash during Bounty Hunt and waited for the end of the wave, but still got killed.
They're ok as a grappling target, but they're more of an annoyance for visibility during traversal.

Raide

why the fuck are there out of bounds areas in the middle of the map

First thing i did was to hook to the tallest point and then have it out of bounds. Damn you! I understand that people would camp it brutally but giving freedom to bounce around and then locking that out really sucks.

My fundamental problem with pilot play in TF2 (at least, the tech test) is that it simply doesn't feel good just to navigate the map any more. What was once an absolute joy (I frequently refer to it as a dance) is now an exercise in frustration.

From what I can tell:
*Wall run chains don't seem to provide any additional speed boost - the first wall bounce is as fast as any other.
*Jump / bounce acceleration feels lower as does the speed
*There's this annoying "stickiness" or "suction" action in wall running now. It's not "slippery" or smooth like the first game.
*Despite aforementioned stickiness, wall runs are not as easily initiated, requiring a more direct contact than before. This results in situations where I'll be falling right next to a wall, but not have enough air control to actual initiate a wall run.
*Longer hang time, possibly do to reduced speed on jumps
*Nerfed b-hopping. Going back to TF1, I was much more aware of how important b-hopping was as part of a movement chain (wall -> bhop -> wall). Slide jumping isn't nearly as effective after the first.
*It could be just that I'm not used to the controller, but air control also felt reduced.
*Cluttered maps still have lots of art detail that interrupt movement.
*Lots of kill zones in maps with a very short timer that are easy to get stuck in.
*Wall running not possible above a certain height severely limits verticality.

First thing i did was to hook to the tallest point and then have it out of bounds. Damn you! I understand that people would camp it brutally but giving freedom to bounce around and then locking that out really sucks.

In the first game, it didn't matter, because camping a super high point you couldn't move from was either a death sentence, or mostly useless.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just played TF1 for a few hours and damn, that was fun. Pointed out a few things (both good and bad) for 2.

Most pressing was the speed. The moment you go on a wall in TF1 you go FAST, even if you weren't before, you actually gain a lot of momentum that is very fun to jump around with, plus the speed keeps building up as you continue. 2 doesn't speed you up nearly as much so it feels sluggish in comparison even before you see how much harder it is to chain things (atleast in the two maps present).

That said, I was actually really missing the slide. It's a great addition in 2 and feels really natural, and the way you move with it alongside roof slopes is great. A+ mechanic. Grapple hook felt slow to me at first but also grew on me a lot, and there were already a few spots in TF1 where I could see one making sense there. Plus 2 looks a LOT better, I was already getting a harsh reminder of how much tearing TF1 had when I was on Lagoon again.

The other immediate thing I noticed was how much chaos happens in Attrition. So many rockets flying everywhere, stuff to do all over the place, it has a much more amped up feeling compared to Bounty Hunt which has frequent lulls. I seriously hope it's still present in this game.

Titan battles were, as I remember, extremely intense. I felt like I had more tactical decisions to make and even in aggressive fights I was able to do things like shoot a cluster rocket at the floor to whittle down a shield while I weaved around avoiding damage for mine to come back up. I also forgot that stuff like the Atlas' Damage Core has to wind up before it kicks in so it isn't some immediate fight swinger you can panic and hit.

TF2's obviously not giving us the whole picture yet re: weapons and stuff so some comparisons may be unfair but I really feel like the shields are necessary. It makes so much sense to me if they just had them by default (less than 1 if it feels like it's too much), then the battery mechanic if stripped off totally wipes them out. I like the idea of the battery but the interaction with your own titan is super awkward, punishing the person who takes it if they happen to die by making you way more powerful is strange. I can't even see how Last Titan Standing would work here, I imagine it as both teams shyly poking damage until you build something like a laser core then charging and and focusing the weakest titan then snowball it via health and titan advantage.

In one match it was 100-35 in Pilots vs Pilots...I'm on the winning team and I only died twice with 14 kills...how can there be such a blowout on this game???=O

Maybe because its a free test version that anyone in ps4/xb1 can download and play??

I slayed in a lot of matches too. A lot of players just standing around or camping buildings that were easy to pick off. A lot of clueless players that didn't know about wallrun at all.

Top Bottom