• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Daximuss

I played the tech test quite a bit over the weekend and I'm baffled by some of their design changes from the original Titanfall.

Removing the AI from each team is a huge mistake as it makes the maps feel barren and not nearly as immersive as the original Titanfall did. I never realized how much I missed the AI grunt chatter until I played a Titanfall without it.

I really enjoyed the new "Pilot Hunt" mode and thought it brought a cool twist to common everyday fps modes. I had read that "Pilot Hunt" would be taking the place of "Attrition" and thought, why in the hell would Respawn remove the most popular Titanfall mode? Why not include them both?

Now, my biggest takeaway from the week one tech test...Titans. They take away my gun customization on my Titan, they take away the feeling of ownership that I had with MY Titan, and on top of that, my Titan is no longer on a timer to be called in, but is now a scorestreak reward?!

I didn't feel like I was playing Titanfall this past weekend. I felt like I was playing a triple A budgeted, first person shooter that had mech killstreaks.

E92 M3

That's from the pax prime panel 2014 video posted earlier in the thread, 5-10 minutes in I think?

He just mentions him coming from a military shooter background so this was all weird to him and that he thought they should get rid of double-jump because it was too much. The tested it, realized it's shit and put it back in. But it speaks volumes that the same guy touting all the great "improvements" in TF2 also thought double-jumping should be removed.

Granted, maybe I'm completely off base, but his comments from the 2014 video together with the newer interview just rub me the wrong way.

Ah yes, I thought of that correlation as well.

Damn, at least fix the animation when it reels you in, speeding it up or adding the blur to give it a sense of speed as if you're moving faster.

Im thinking at this rate it would be better to release a map editor for TF1 to make new maps then mod in the grappling hook and slide ability!

You move plenty fast with the grapple if you know how to use it and boost properly. You can littlerly slingshot yourself by boosting after you grapple. Some of these comments make me wonder what game people played during the tech test.

rackham

Banned
You move plenty fast with the grapple if you know how to use it and boost properly. You can literally slingshot yourself by boosting after you grapple. Some of these comments make me wonder what game people played during the tech test.

They played the one where the grapple was supposed to be optional yet the only way to even get speed and movement similar to the first game was by using it.

You know, the test where they said the grapple was optional yet the maps were built around its use.

The test where many many people made their thoughts clear about why they didn't like it- with actual examples- and still had a very few amount of people try and make every excuse in the book about why their negatives were just wrong and they were right.

EL CUCO

I think my TF2 experience was good because I used the grapple 100% of the time. I honestly dont think I'll ever not use it.

Juxo

I was always jealous of XBO getting Titanfall. The game looked like such a great change of pace from the CoDs and BFs of the world, plus people seemed to love it. Never got to play the original, but consoled myself with the thought that the sequel would be multi-platform.
Finally got around to playing the tech test/beta/demo and was not at all impressed. It just felt like CoD, except I get a robot sometimes.

Judging from other people's posts, this sequel has gone in the wrong direction completely. It's a shame, but at least I save some money.

I was always jealous of XBO getting Titanfall. The game looked like such a great change of pace from the CoDs and BFs of the world, plus people seemed to love it. Never got to play the original, but consoled myself with the thought that the sequel would be multi-platform.

I'm a similar case, except I've not really dabbled with online shooters at all, so I have very little to compare it to. It's not a genre I'm drawn to playing but I thought Titanfall might be the one to pull me in.

In short, it didn't work.

SwolBro

Banned
Finally got around to playing the tech test/beta/demo and was not at all impressed. It just felt like CoD, except I get a robot sometimes.

Judging from other people's posts, this sequel has gone in the wrong direction completely. It's a shame, but at least I save some money.

if you're going to judge a game and base your purchasing decision on initial reactions in an online forum you would have never bought the original game either.

Quoting myself just because

- Bring back Attrition along with Grunts having dialogue like the first
- Titan timers
- TF1 movement for pilots and titans
- Titan shields
- Zip lines
- TF1 rodeo
- Titan weapon customization (arc cannon pls)
- Offensive and Defensive special core abilities - ex: Scorch firewall or TF1 Ogre's Shield

Hire me, Repsawn

Edit: meant to post this in the tech test thread :p

Also, First person animations for entering your titan and executions!

I mean, just look at this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgnqw6CORk8
https://youtu.be/wiRq8GcosfQ?t=28s

JimiNutz

Banned
Any chance they delay the game? Seems like it's being sent out to die (in terms of current release date)!and I'd hate to see the franchise die... At the same time I'm not really willing to buy the game at launch in its current state.

Hopefully single player campaign is spectacular.

I really enjoyed the beta. It's clearly not built for T1 fans, but I enjoyed it all the same.

They played the one where the grapple was supposed to be optional yet the only way to even get speed and movement similar to the first game was by using it.

You know, the test where they said the grapple was optional yet the maps were built around its use.

The test where many many people made their thoughts clear about why they didn't like it- with actual examples- and still had a very few amount of people try and make every excuse in the book about why their negatives were just wrong and they were right.

Well, obviously you were always going to be sacrificing speed and movement by not taking a mobility tool as your item. But that's the point, the others have cool abilities but they sacrifice some mobility.

Perhaps the sacrifice is too steep at the moment, but looking at gameplay from competitive Titanfall 1, a lot of teams seem to have different roles for their players. Like in CTF, teams typically have runners, and defenders. Now I can see runners wanting to take grapple, and defenders wanting to take other abilities.

Ultimately it might depend on your playstyle. You can play a more sedentary game quite viably - even in the first game - but if you want a faster paced more mobile experience there's gear for that.

Alx

Any chance they delay the game? Seems like it's being sent out to die (in terms of current release date)!and I'd hate to see the franchise die... At the same time I'm not really willing to buy the game at launch in its current state.

I think it's sent out to counter CoD, both in design and release date, so I doubt much will change either way. For better or worse.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
We did a top five article/video where we listed the improvements Respawn needs to make. I think we covered everything relevant? If anyone's interested, it's linked below.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/08/23/top-5-titanfall-2-improvements-respawn-needs-make/

I do think that some of the needed tweaks are just minor ones (not sure on Titan timer though, since that means they might need to overhaul the gameplay system they have in place?), but for maps, maybe some are more wallrun friendly? Time to kill as well. It's not that hard to adjust that, right?

Curious if Respawn can make a mode that has more players as well. I mean, Bounty is what? 5v5? Maybe it's a limitation of the engine itself.

Matt Frost

I think it's sent out to counter CoD, both in design and release date, so I doubt much will change either way. For better or worse.

This ^. T2 is the CoD that EA always wanted. They have two distinct products: Bf and Tf to compete with CoD. And people tend to forget that they guys who made Respawn are responsible for creating CoD, so no one else knows better. Also, the first one died a month later... so...

Me and my friends already bought it. Hope they dont change it much. Is spectacular right now.

Chris1

This ^. T2 is the CoD that EA always wanted. They have two distinct products: Bf and Tf to compete with CoD. And people tend to forget that they guys who made Respawn are responsible for creating CoD, so no one else knows better. Also, the first one died a month later... so...
Titanfall 1 is still active on XB1 right now and the reason for it's playerbase decline isn't gameplay mechanics.. but, how long do you think this one will last when it's aimed for CoD players and not one, but two CoD's comes out a week later?

If Titanfall 1 died in a month like you say, then Titanfall 2 is gonna die in record time.

Matt Frost

Titanfall 1 is still active on XB1 right now.. but, how long do you think this one will last when it's aimed for CoD players and not one, but two CoD's comes out a week later?

Two CoDs? Two? Ahhh ok, yeah the first MW but prettier... I freaked for a second. As for your question... maybe it stole some of the CoD userbase by then... thats what they want. I will buy both so I am not concerned...

Chris1

Two CoDs? Two? Ahhh ok, yeah the first MW but prettier... I freaked for a second. As for your question... maybe it stole some of the CoD userbase by then... thats what they want. I will buy both so I am not concerned...

But it won't. Why play Titanfall when you can play CoD and experience the same thing with more friends and a bigger userbase? Halo 4 tried to go after the CoD userbase, look what happened with that player base.

If they wanted to steal CoD's playerbase (which I think they did, and why I always defended releasing next to Cod until now) then they should have stuck to their TF1 guns and show the CoD playerbase there's something better out there, not something that's really not that much different. All they have done now is pissed off the Titanfall hardcore that kept Titanfall 1 alive, and appeased to players who will drop it once CoD comes out.

People will buy CoD regardless, Titanfall isn't really going to stop people from buying CoD as it's like a cultural event now every year. What they could do is give a reason to go back to Titanfall after buying CoD, and I don't think being a CoD clone with titan killstreaks is going to do that.

Matt Frost

But it won't. Why play Titanfall when you can play CoD and experience the same thing with more friends and a bigger userbase? Halo 4 tried to go after the CoD userbase, look what happened with that player base.

If they wanted to steal CoD's playerbase (which I think they did, and why I always defended releasing next to Cod until now) then they should have stuck to their TF1 guns and show the CoD playerbase there's something better out there, not something that's really not that much different. All they have done now is pissed off the Titanfall hardcore that kept Titanfall 1 alive, and appeased to players who will drop it once CoD comes out.

People will buy CoD regardless, Titanfall isn't really going to stop people from buying CoD as it's like a cultural event now every year. What they could do is give a reason to go back to Titanfall after buying CoD, and I don't think being a CoD clone with titan killstreaks is going to do that.

I dont know... what I do know is that Respawn is making the game, not you or me, and they probably have a vision, what they believe in. I am going to buy both (and Batlefield 1) and then decide by myself. And I bet Repawn want more than 1000 players (okay, they are loyal, but still) as their usebase. Making a game for 1000 players is...

Except that it didn't, and the decline of interest wasn't due to the gameplay.

If you want it to be like the first one, play that one. People live too much in the past these days...

Alx

If you want it to be like the first one, play that one.

Which is what I'm doing, and will continue doing as long as the game is playable. It doesn't prevent me from expressing my disappointment that we won't get more of that type of shooter, instead of something more conventional. I'm not asking for all games to be more like Titanfall, it's just that IP.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Except that it didn't, and the decline of interest wasn't due to the gameplay.

Yeah the game had a decent population for a while after release, Respawn did a hell of a job supporting the game post-launch. They added several game modes like LTS, Marked For Death, and Frontier Defense as well as balancing tweaks based on our feedback. People really show their ignorance with comments like that.

Really looking forward to this new map for this weekend though, it looks much better than the first two.

Chris1

I dont know... what I do know is that Respawn is making the game, not you or me, and they probably have a vision, what they believe in. I am going to buy both (and Batlefield 1) and then decide by myself. And I bet Repawn want more than 1000 players (okay, they are loyal, but still) as their usebase. Making a game for 1000 players is...
It's hard to take you serious when there's ~5k people on XB1 Titanfall 1 2.5 years after launch, let alone a month after launch. I'm not sure where you pulled that 1k number from.

Brakara

If you want it to be like the first one, play that one. People live too much in the past these days...

This is a really ignorant statement. There's lots of ways to improve on TF1 without pulling the rug under it, like they seem to be doing.

Someone compared this to Halo 4's misfire when they tried to chase that CoD gold, which seems apt. But Halo 5 is great, so at least there's hope for TF3 if they ever get to make it.

Heidern98

So this is maybe a not perfect place for this question but I've had trouble wrapping my head around this for a while so I thought I would ask.

So you're an engineer in the Titanfall universe and you design these giant robots that are high performance killing machines. But you have this massive vulnerability where someone could jump on top of it, open a hatch or throw a grenade into an opening and severely damage it? And this happens nearly every single time the machine is used on the battlefield?

Can the Titan not reach up and grab the offending attacker and crush them? Could the hatch have a lock? Could the vent have a grill, so like, maybe, a grenade won't go in?

I understand that they wanted the pilots to have an option to take down a Titan, but it feels like the Titan's vulnerability is too much at odds with its offensive power when compared to the pilots. I didn't play a ton of the first game but it had that electric smoke ability to kill boarders which is nice. Why did it need to have a special ability to protect itself when it seems catastrophically vulnerable in the first place?

And why doesn't the pilot's immobility during a rodeo generate the same vulnerabilities? I mean someone else can shoot the pilot off for you sure, but they seem to have far too great an impact on the lifespan of the Titan for a very minimal investment in time. And the Titan seems like it's all thumbs as far as defending itself.

So maybe I'm just out of touch with how to play the game "correctly" and just get killed because I lack the right skills or whatever. But this concept really confuses me and diminishes my enjoyment of the "main" point of the game (having a Titan and going beast on the enemies). If someone could help me get a better understand of this concept it would be greatly appreciated.

wonderpug

Neo Member
If you're just looking for a lore explanation, I imagine the Titans are designed for dominating traditional warfare. Pilots aren't ordinary ground troops, that's what the AI grunts in the attrition mode are. Nobody expected someone to be skilled enough or talented enough to rocket onto the back of a Titan and wreak havoc. In Titanall 1, if I remember correctly, you can even hear the grunts marvelling at the things they see the pilots accomplishing. "Did you see that?!"

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Respawn just posted on the feedback and most of the changes have been positive!

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Pilot Mobility

Many players are wondering why we changed the mobility from Titanfall 1. We identified two major issues we wanted to solve in Titanfall 2. The first is that a lack of player predictability would often cause players to be shot from the back or sides. While flanking is an important part of gameplay death often felt random instead of skillful. The second issue is that close range firefights were overly chaotic due to erratic player movement. So, changes to pilot mobility stemmed from a desire to improve our gunplay, and not a desire to slow down movement.

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

While investigating this point, we discovered some unintended side effects that were causing players to lose momentum while wallrunning.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Additionally, we’re testing scaling back some of the dampening factors that were limiting bunny-hopping as we don’t want these restrictions to impact normal traversal.

Titan Meter

We made some changes in Titanfall 2 with the goal of rewarding players for playing game mode objectives. However, we observed the problem that players can try to play the objective but fail, resulting in slower than intended Titan acquisition. We still want objectives to be the fastest way to get a Titan, but the goal of every player being guaranteed a Titan per match hasn’t changed.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Titan Survivability

This is one of the more complex issues to address for several reasons.

First, we’ve changed from Titans having energy shields to a new Titan battery system which we believe improves rodeo gameplay and rewards teamwork. In Titanfall 1, rodeo was lethal to Titans, forcing pilots to disembark and engage in a 50 / 50 fight. In Titanfall 2, the rodeo pilot steals a battery and damages an enemy Titan. If they can give that battery to a friendly Titan, the Titan receives a shield and the Pilot gets Titan meter points. As players become more familiar with the system, we expect that Titans will live longer. This is an area we will continue to monitor leading up to launch.

Another factor is that the balance of Titan gameplay in the Tech Test build is heavily affected by the limited amount of content we released in the build. For example, some Titans that aren’t in the Tech Test have strong defensive abilities, certain Titan kits provide defensive upgrades, and even Pilots have a boost that can improve Titan defenses.

Lastly, there has been a lot of tuning since the Tech Test build that will tone down the amount of damage many weapons deal to Titans.

Titan Mobility

We’ve reduced the number of baseline dashes by one compared to Titanfall 1, but all Titans have access to a new Titan kit that provides an additional dash. This is to balance new mobility or defensive options available to specific Titans. The Tech Test build, however, doesn’t include our fastest Titans. Despite our confidence in our top-end speed, we have heard your feedback that Ion and Scorch feel too slow.

Titan dashes will recharge faster.

Map Design

Some of our Tech Test players have asked if the relatively flat and open design of Homestead is indicative of a new direction for Titanfall, and the answer is no. When designing maps, we strive to make them unique experiences. For example, Homestead changes things up by creating islands of Pilot gameplay where long-range weapons can be effective. This upcoming weekend a new map, Forwardbase Kodai, will be available for play. There is a wide variety of maps for the final game.

We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.

HUD

We’ve read feedback about the HUD feeling too busy. At launch Titanfall 2 will have menu options that allow players to turn these features on or off based on their individual preferences.

Additionally, there have been concerns about enemy outlines making players too easy to see at a distance. We think this is an important feature for friend or foe identification with the substantial amount of visual customization that will be available at launch in Titanfall 2.

We’re going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don’t reveal pilots at extreme distances.

TL;DR: Movement will be tweaked, Titan meter will get passive gains, Pilot outline highlights will be toned down, more maps will be shown that should be closer to "old" map designs, Titan dash recharge rate will be faster, Titan survivability being tweaked.

Overall, good changes, no?

EDIT: Should this be split as a new topic since it's new news?

Arun1910

The official tweeterers say 9am Pacific, tomorrow.

And so does the game when you load up. They say 9am PT and 4pm GMT in the little news section.

So 5pm for us UK folk.

Edit: And as I post this, patch notes just came out - https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/...ech-test-weekend-2-patch-update-x1-ps4#latest

TIME TO KILL
Amped Weapons Boost now unlocks at 80% of the earn meter instead of 50%.
Charge Rifles now have damage falloff at cross map distances.
Slightly increased cloak visibility for other Pilots.
We think the abundance of Amped Weapons is a large contributor to lower time to kill. We’re still adjusting individual weapon balance for ship.

MOBILITY
Increased max wall-running speed.
Increased base wall-running speed and air speed.
Increased acceleration while jumping off walls.
Titans dashes recharge 2 seconds faster

TITAN TIMER
Pilots now earn a small amount of Titan meter every 5 seconds.
This value may be undertuned until we can take a pass at how much meter you earn from objectives.

BOUNTY HUNT
Score Limit lowered to 5000 from 6000 to increase the amount of games won by score instead of time.
Banking phases now last 45 seconds instead of a minute.

TECHNICAL FIXES
Fixed some issues with the outer deadzone on PlayStation controllers.
We wanted to note and apologize for “Invite Friends” still being broken in this build. We needed to get the patch to certification quickly to ensure gameplay changes could make it in for this weekend, so we couldn’t get to this in time.

Top Bottom