• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall Beta not open: Invite waves & codes required, staggered to avoid implosion

Krakn3Dfx

Jesus Christ, someone needs to make an official fucking statement once in awhile, getting 2nd/3rd hand information from Origin reps/media/friends of a developer these days is getting real old real fast.

Milennia

If its from gamestop my friend will get me a code, but if its not, ill pre order wherever.
Although i prefer bestbuy for the 10$ pre order card lol.

Don't really care where i preorder tbh, all the same to me.

bigmf

Respawn's communication and promotion of this game has been terrible. It doesn't give me any confidence in the final product. (Not that I'm planning to buy it anyway). The thing is less than a month away.

RulkezX

Respawn's communication and promotion of this game has been terrible. It doesn't give me any confidence in the final product. (Not that I'm planning to buy it anyway). The thing is less than a month away.

I'd imagine that it's all hands on deck at the moment. Though I agree that they have been awful at spreading info about the game in general , not just the Beta.

You would have thought EA or Microsoft would have loaded then a hand in this regard.

AzerPhire

Seems to be the case with a lot of next gen games. Gamers are excited for more information but developers/publishers are keeping things quiet. Infamous SS is the same way and it can be frustrating as we the gamers are hyped for these games and just want to see more.

I have a feeling though that we will start to see advertising and information come out in full force on or after Feb. 10 when the press embargo is up.

bigmf

Seems to be the case with a lot of next gen games. Gamers are excited for more information but developers/publishers are keeping things quiet. Infamous SS is the same way and it can be frustrating as we the gamers are hyped for these games and just want to see more.

I have a feeling though that we will start to see advertising and information come out in full force on or after Feb. 10 when the press embargo is up.

They must have a healthy number of preorders or someone at EA or Microsoft (or Sony in Infamous' case) would be jumping up down.

Krakn3Dfx

I will do whatever it takes to get into this beta.

Tyrone2.jpg

The Cowboy

"Here are the possible beta dates, and this is how you gain access on each platform".

See how easy that is, why do companies make things seem so complicated when they really don't need to be.

GavinGT

Banned
I Gameflyed Battlefield 4 and played a few rounds of it, just in case they use that as a criteria for codes.

"Here are the possible beta dates, and this is how you gain access on each platform".

See how easy that is, why do companies make things seem so complicated when they really don't need to be.

They want people talking about the game as close to release as possible. That's been their strategy in terms of controlling the flow of information all along.

Oozer3993

My guess is they're holding off on unleashing all the details about the beta until they have a firm release date for it. And they won't have that until it gets through certification (at least Microsoft's certification, if not also EA's). I'd imagine they want to release it as soon as possible so they can use the knowledge they get from it to have the game in top shape for launch. And staggering it with codes allows them to guarantee that the people playing it first have specific characteristics, for instance: desirous PC setups, interesting locations, varying internet connections, among other things. Limiting it, at least at first, means Respawn doesn't get inundated with so much data they can't process it in a timely manner.

So if I got into the alpha, will I get I to the beta? #StealthBrag

We better. #ComboStealthBrag

I hate when companies do things like this, it's so backwards. They're going to send this to the people that don't currently have EA / Activision games to rope them in and leave many of us that buy Battlefield and COD every year out in the cold. They do this because they already know that they're going to get our business and they want to expand their customer base.

I have a buddy that's never played EA or Activision games and he got the Titanfall Alpha whereas many of my other friends never received a code and they've been buying annual releases of EA games for over a decade.

It's just like cable companies giving deals to new customers only and then overcharging loyal ones.

border

I don't understand the "doing it in waves to make sure it works".

This is MS's big game, their network is more than capable of handling the numbers that BF and CoD throw at it, so Titanfall should be a breeze.

Except that apparently the Titanfall Alpha went very poorly and some people could not even play until the final day.

Yaari

And here I thought it was confirmed to be open. Lol. Better not get my hopes up then. Not getting in.

daveo42

Banned
Except that apparently the Titanfall Alpha went very poorly and some people could not even play until the final day.

Ouch. I really hope they stress test the shit out of this game for launch. I'm sure EA would love to avoid all the issues they have had with their past 'always on' games not actually working until well over a month after release.

Seriously, even if this isn't an open beta, they should have a stress test two weeks out from launch to make sure they can handle something remotely close to peak capacity.

Briarios

I'm pretty sure they only ever said it was a PC/X1 beta.

Considering they're going to sell way more copies on the 360, that's pretty short-sighted of them. Since it's the first game released for the IP, if a majority of the players have a crappy time experiencing it (considering it IS online only), it could really limit growth down the road.

Bsigg12

Are you referring to the bombcast email last week? There were connection issues early on in the alpha but never saw anyone on the alpha forums claiming they couldn't play at all until the last day.

VariantX

How exactly does a staggered release help alleviate problems on launch day when far more people will be playing on day one? Better to blow up the servers now and add more capacity before launch than get caught with their pants down after money has exchanged hands.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There is some weird entitlement on that first page.

No there isn't. Its people complaining about the poor messaging, proclaiming how much they want to get in, asking what they need to do to get in and suggesting EA throw them a bone for their valueless BF4 purchase.

Top Bottom