• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Swishh

Banned
In the Nvidia thread you posted that PC would use the same matchmaking and backend as PC. Is Respawn willing to comment on PC player counts?

PC is also 6 v 6. the questioner in the OP's tweet didn't specify which platform he was asking about, and vince replied that the MAX player count (on any platform) is still 6 v 6. I apologize...

Papacheeks

Banned
Thats incorrect. We opened our doors in May of 2010. This will be almost 4 years from start to finish.

So is this information in-accurate then?
Respawn started pre-production on its then-untitled game back in 2011, originally for current generation consoles. As the team tried to pinpoint what their first project would be, they searched for a technological foundation to build on. They found it in an unlikely place: Valve’s Source engine. While few titles outside of Valve’s own games and independent mods have used Source this generation, a number of factors made it a good fit for Respawn.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/12/4419110/titanfall-respawn

Following Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's release, Activision fired Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella in March 2010 for "breaches of contract and insubordination".[13][14] Their departure resulted in a series of lawsuits[14] and a staff exodus.[15][16] Later that year, West and Zampella founded a game development company, Respawn Entertainment, with many of the former Infinity Ward staff.[14] Pre-production began in 2011, and the game was originally planned for existing consoles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanfall[/B]

Sorry to quote a crappy source like Wikipedia, but shows the studio founded in 2010 actual Pre-production started in 2011. So actual development time is a little over 2 years, maybe close to 3.

Paz

The difference is that dota bots are literally part of the environment to be manipulated by actually player characters and they have absolutely no actually agency outside of what other bot they are aggro'd against in the lane. I mean, unless the bots in titanfall are actually just civilians then they will be gunning down player characters at annoying intervals based on a rng.

No I still think this concept of ai in a multiplayer shooter is terrible regardless of the player count.

Have either of you played it? You're being awfully negative towards a concept that's never been done before and so far has near universal acclaim from those who have seen it in action (Including me, in that list).

Quoting respawns response which covers everything I've been saying and then some.

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Spawnling

I'd have to wait and measure it for myself. I'm considering picking this up on PC. It's certainly has a niche gamestyle of it's own, hard to compare to any current franchises.

Get out! No way!
Hey look I can be snarky and uppity and insulting too. Quit it.

Hey, did you know that CS was designed around a much smaller player count? Did you know that CoDs were designed around 12-18 players? If you don't like smaller games, don't poop on it because some of us do okay? Buy something else.

I'm just saying: Don't slam everyone who complains about 6v6 by posting a picture showing Counter-Strike's total number of players, because although that game does support 6v6 the vast majority of servers support 24-32 players which renders your point moot.

biRdy

Whats with the hate? I swear numbers is all people like to focus on, at least play it first as I plan to do.

HariKari

Nice!

Hey HariKari...how about reassessing your comment.

Looks like a max minimum possible number of 36 when it comes to player count. That's if there are only 12 AI, 12 players, and 12 Titans.

He says dozens of AI...so maybe more.

That's still only five fellow humans on your team, regardless of how you sugarcoat it. That's just not for me. Some of you guys have played consoles forever and absolutely love this stuff. More power to you. I just don't. And no one needs to belittle gamers who prefer one or the other. I would counter that a bigger map with yet even more pilots, titans. and AI might be really awesome too, but that isn't going to happen.

6v6 will make for some dirty, personal matches. No getting lost in the herd or solo-ing. Get in line with the team and do your shit.

Nothing stops the Titantrain.

And (yep, you guessed it), when is the Steam release?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

I will be the judge but as long as the game is designed for that player count then fine. It sounds small on paper so there's no hiding behind that.

The rest is whatever you want to make it but it sounds a little fishy. My PC purchase hinges on many factors.

Whats with the hate? I swear numbers is all people like to focus on, at least play it first as I plan to do.

Cynicism and blind faith go hand in hand. I stand slightly on the side of pessimistically optimistic.

antitrop

TITANFALL GIF TIME! GET HYPE

9595518904_312f8a1b64_o.gif

9595265534_0711d3e23d_o.gif

9592414239_e9b35327b0_o.gif

ibmbc24t2wGR9i.gif

titanfall1_by_xbulletz-d68p7p5.jpg

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Hahahaha. :p Sorry but that made me laugh. Either way, I appreciate your input and I can't wait to play Titan Fall in 2 months! :)

Could also be due to the multiple Monster energy drinks I chug on a daily basis... heart problems? Pah!

So is this information in-accurate then?

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/12/4419110/titanfall-respawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanfall[/B]

Sorry to quote a crappy source like Wikipedia, but shows the studio founded in 2010 actual Pre-production started in 2011. So actual development time is a little over 2 years, maybe close to 3.

Gee, thats weird. Wonder what I was doing for most of 2010 then :\

JABEE

To the incredibly silly people suggesting a future version (PS4 or otherwise) would support 8v8 or whatever players: Dota 2 is 5v5 on PC where there are no limitations, what a terrible game right? Player counts are only relevant based on game design, sure they could design the game around 64v64, maybe a sequel will be, but clearly this game is designed around 6v6.

Holy crap I can't believe the reactions in this thread, just insanity left and right. Negative reactions ranging from claims of engine limitations, hardware limitations, enforced story elements in multiplayer, claims that the player count is 'trash' without any understanding of context.

I'll tell it to you straight: This thread is the reason why the gaming community is constantly bullshit by publishers PR, and to a large degree they are justified in doing so.

It's probably why Gaming PR treats fans and the general public like gullible puppies that slurp up Mountain Dew and Cheese Balls. I couldn't care less what Gaming PR thinks of gaming fans. PR functions as a means to distort messages and manipulate the public.

That is what has been apparent of gaming PR that has displayed itself since I started following games coverage. Games PR has no moral or intellectual high ground. The people may be ignorant of how things work, but PR feeds off that ignorance to get that same public to feud and fight over consoles and games. They build brand loyalty and communities with messages that revolve around ranking and contests between competing products.

The gaming public may be ignorant and gullible if you were to generalize their overall features, but PR could just as easily be generalized as manipulative and repugnant agents that thrive on this kind of consumer loyalty. To pretend that PR is above this or to scoff at their rambunctious consumers would make them hypocrites.

There hands are not clean in this. They understand that these numbers create reactions. That's why Madden says a bunch of buzzwords and numbers. It's why every system talks about transistor numbers and fake tech jargon.

It may be bad, but the industry should not shirk their responsibility in this all.

Alex

Why is everyone bitching about this? Most of the time when a FPS allows a bunch of players into one match, it turns out to not be fun and you're just getting killed right when you spawn most of the time

The 12 player limit here works and I totally respect Respawn's decision to make 12 players the limit

Because kneejerk nonsense and not reading about the actual game or watching footage of it. Do we really, really need more war zone games? Are these still novel to people? Play Battlefield, play Planetside, play Tribes. We've had 128 player servers in these games dating back to the 90s.

Titanfall is the only really interesting looking new competitive FPS to hit in eons, for me. I'm really, really glad it's doing the stuff it is. It's not COD and it's not Battlefield, let it be it's own thing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Player count means nothing without context of the game. I love Gears of War, I love L4D, I love Halo, and I love Battlefield. One of these has 10 players, one 16, one 8, and one 64. If 6v6 is best 6v6 it is.

Grief.exe

And (yep, you guessed it), when is the Steam release?

Other EA Partners releases have Steam releases, I'm just biding my time.

TITANFALL GIF TIME! GET HYPE

9595518904_312f8a1b64_o.gif

irbvwdMaYkZhd.png

Player count means nothing without context of the game. I love Gears of War, I love L4D, I love Halo, and I love Battlefield. One of these has 10 players, one 16, one 8, and one 64. If 6v6 is best 6v6 it is.

So Titanfall would literally fall in the middle.

Interesting.

Sneds

Because kneejerk nonsense and not reading about the actual game or watching footage of it. Do we really, really need more war zone games? Are these still novel to people? Play Battlefield, play Planetside, play Tribes. We've had 128 player servers in these games dating back to the 90s.

Titanfall is the only really interesting looking new competitive FPS to hit in eons, for me. I'm really, really glad it's doing the stuff it is. It's not COD and it's not Battlefield, let it be it's own thing.

You're right. Not every game has to appeal to everyone anyway.

I'm going to let go of my AI scepticism and just wait and see. I really do hope it's a fun game.

Cheddahz

Banned

This post is spot on. Thank you so much!

Slair

You started your post with "I wish there was a mode with more players and less bots."

You wouldn't know if you actually want that until you play the game.

I can't wish? If the game is tuned to absolute perfection
it won't be
i can't wish for a larger player count so i can fuck about and not be such a large burden on the small team?

Papacheeks

Banned
Could also be due to the multiple Monster energy drinks I chug on a daily basis... heart problems? Pah!

Gee, thats weird. Wonder what I was doing for most of 2010 then :\

Hence why I asked if it was in-accurate journalism.

Didn't mean to offend.

Titanfall looks fun, hope there's an open beta, or a demo coming soon. I have to play it and see how upgrades, and what were getting in terms on content on disc_at launch).
No offense but last thing I want to see and this is just me talking, is a BF4 Premium type of thing for Titans, and maps.

Fantasmo

I'm just saying: Don't slam everyone who complains about 6v6 by posting a picture showing Counter-Strike's total number of players, because although that game does support 6v6 the vast majority of servers support 24-32 players which renders your point moot.
When I see how ugly the thread becomes a few posts over something not only infantile but at the very core of how Respawn, formerly the real Infinity Ward, operates, you can be sure I'll be more than likely to jump in.

There's plenty of games made for high player counts.

NeoGash

Yeah I did jump to post too quickly on that first one.

I guess seeing 6 players on a team just felt too much like a technology restraint moreso then an actual gameplay choice. Mainly because of the type of multiplayer experiences I am drawn to. I have been a part of the " play only in clans, practice together, get organized, play like a real f'in war and kick ass " group since the jump ( first played Unreal Tournament back in the day ). Be it 32 players, 24 players, 64 players, 256 players, or planetsides 2000 players. If you run with a group of organized players, the experience is beyond enjoyable, damn near lifelike. Watching the guy in front's back, watching your flanks, calling out targets and positions, setting up organized manuevers, etc. The amount of teamwork required seems diminished when you only have 5 other people to worry about and then AI running around doing whatever they feel like.

But yeah, this sounds far too different then most other stuff to draw any conclusions on, so when the PC version hits will def. try it out if there are enough positive reactions and possibly a demo to draw some sort of conclusion on before purchasing. Planetside 2 pretty much fulfills my " sci-fi with mechs and jetpacks and crazy action all over the place at all times " gameplay need when I so desire it.

But kudos to Respawn for attempting to make something different. Just like the L4D team making the 4 players vs. hunter game that is being shown in Game Informer. More power to diversity indeed.

Yeah, just remember that there is an audience for people who like smaller, more focused multi-player. It's alright liking 32v32 etc, but that isn't for everyone. The most I am fine with is 16v16 in Killzone 2, and even that is too much for me, I usually settle for 10v10. Sometimes I think 5v5 in Gears of War is too much, and that I'd prefer it to go back to 4v4 like the original. In Halo, I didn't even like Big Team Battle, I thought 8v8 was too much lol. 6v6 Invasion is all I could stomach.

I love The Lord Of The Rings, but I wouldn't want every movie ever to be a 3 hour action fantasy epic.

The guys have talent, they made these decisions for a reason. Let's wait and see, I mean I have not heard one negative thing from anyone who has actually played this. I dismissed this as CoD with mechs at first (I don t like CoD), but after basically universal praise, I started paying attention. I mean, surely some people who dislike CoD like me would have played the game and dismissed it by now? Not that I have seen, which really makes me think that perhaps this game is worthy of the hype. Perhaps.

BeerSnob

Will there be an official statement on what, exactly, is being offloaded onto Microsoft's "cloud" and will be cut from the PC version? A previous statement mentioned a lack of "nice-ities" on the PC version. What does this exactly entail?

fallagin

Have either of you played it? You're being awfully negative towards a concept that's never been done before and so far has near universal acclaim from those who have seen it in action (Including me, in that list).

Quoting respawns response which covers everything I've been saying and then some.

I have no doubt that the game is great right now, but I am just skeptical that this adds something to the experience and is not a technology limitation(specifically for the 360).

kdash7

Is there a split-screen option in the game?

Joeki11a

Banned
Why is everyone bitching about this? Most of the time when a FPS allows a bunch of players into one match, it turns out to not be fun and you're just getting killed right when you spawn most of the time

The 12 player limit here works and I totally respect Respawn's decision to make 12 players the limit

Why not make it 2v2?

Smh

I wonder if you ever played MAG

JABEE

As for this specific example, there is no way to really know how these player counts will actually impact the quality of player interactions and the overall game until more people play it. I understand why people react to these numbers. That is what the general gaming public is trained to do.

These numbers are often indicative of the overall performance. Games like Sim City were hurt by the way that everything was scaled down. You could have pointed that out before the game came out.

I don't know how much we should hold the gaming public responsible for rapid judgements when PR buzzwords and images are built around using these very numbers and images to induce consumers to purchase products.

TheD

The Detective

But it has a large warzone and some people want more than 6v6 in such large maps instead of AI.
It does not mean Titanfall will be a bad game, just that a lot of people do not like those numbers and their is nothing wrong with that (or commenting about it in this thread)!

shandy706

That's still only five fellow humans on your team, regardless of how you sugarcoat it. That's just not for me. Some of you guys have played consoles forever and absolutely love this stuff. More power to you. I just don't. And no one needs to belittle gamers who prefer one or the other. I would counter that a bigger map with yet even more pilots, titans. and AI might be really awesome too, but that isn't going to happen.

That console comment sounds belittling to me.

The last online FPS I played a lot was Battlefield 3 on my i7 rig...so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Also, epic BF 2 rounds with lots of AI were awesome.

Have the maps been revealed? In the videos I've watched, they don't look "small". Not BF big, but not CoD/GoW small at all.

People already jumping to conclusions baffles me.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Hence why I asked if it was in-accurate journalism.

Didn't mean to offend.

Titanfall looks fun, hope there's an open beta, or a demo coming soon. I have to play it and see how upgrades, and what were getting in terms on content on disc_at launch).
No offense but last thing I want to see and this is just me talking, is a BF4 Premium type of thing for Titans, and maps.

:)

We opened doors in May 2010. Preproduction was underway later that year. Real work on anything resembling what you see in the final game wasn't being done until early 2011 - but there was a lot of gameplay prototyping, concepting, etc. I'd say in all there was a year of just pure prototype/preprod, a little under a year of early production before we ramped up, then probably a good two years of hardcore development. When I say hardcore development, I mean everyone here has been busting their ass harder for longer than I've ever seen before. So much blood, sweat, and tears in this damn game. Seriously can't wait to get it out and hear what the world thinks.

Dysun

Going to be jarring to go from 64 player Conquest to this in March. Pretty much the only mode I play in BF

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I like smaller games usually, but this game always looked more like a 10v10.

Exactly. That was why I was surprised by this announcement. As I said earlier in this thread:

Unless you pause the video, one could reasonably expect everyone with a blue/green name over the character to be an actual player.

uQqfe9i.jpg

There are 11 "players" on screen here with more off to the side.

The 6v6 just came as a shock, I am sure it will even out when played though.

Top Bottom