• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall - PAX Prime intro and gameplay

Just got done playing. Holy shit that was fantastic. Movement system takes a min to get used to but once you get a feel for it it's great.

One thing I noticed is that when you're a pilot, you really don't want to run around on the ground a lot as the Titans kill you when they step on you.

I also had an epic moment where I started firing at a Titan, he started shooting back, then I activated the vortex blast to catch bullets and right as I released his own bullet hell back to him, he used his vortex blast to catch them all again and sent them right back at my face and killed me (my ability was on cooldown). That was fucking awesome.

I also managed to rodeo two Titans by jumping on to them and took them down. So fucking satisfying!

RoKKeR

Just got done playing. Holy shit that was fantastic. Movement system takes a min to get used to but once you get a feel for it it's great.

One thing I noticed is that when you're a pilot, you really don't want to run around on the ground a lot as the Titans kill you when they step on you.

I also had an epic moment where I started firing at a Titan, he started shooting back, then I activated the vortex blast to catch bullets and right as I released his own bullet hell back to him, he used his vortex blast to catch them all again and sent them right back at my face and killed me (my ability was on cooldown). That was fucking awesome.

I also managed to rodeo two Titans by jumping on to them and took them down. So fucking satisfying!
Add this one to the ever-expanding list of extremely positive impressions from both press and normal gamers alike.

Sounds great.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Did you remember to pick up your envelope stuffed with money when you finished playing?

Seriously though it sounds brilliant, everyone who plays this has a similar impression, cannot wait for it. Can't believe it could still be 7-8 months away.

Raide

Thanks for the impressions. How did you find hopping in and out of the Titan?

Sojgat

Sounds awesome, how did the weapons feel?

Damn that sounds cool. I want to play this so effin' badly. I might have to buy a cheap Xbox 360 next year to play it while I wait for the PS4 version :/

abadguy

Banned

Can't wait to play this!

Sorry for delayed responses, was too busy playing games all day. :p

Thanks for the impressions. How did you find hopping in and out of the Titan?

So I unfortunately never got out of the Titan and put it into follow mode. :( I really wish I could have done that but I was having too much fun being in the Titan to try.

Ejecting is something that's not guaranteed either. I didn't know that going into the demo. Basically when you select eject you need to fill up a bar by mashing X to get out ASAP. It gives the enemy an extra second or two to try to finish you off so everyone doesn't insta-eject out of their Titan's every time.

As for getting in, it was fine. I was hoping that I could get into the Titan from a little bit further distance than what they had set. I also never got to do the jump into the Titan from above bit which is in the trailers. I usually just boarded it from the ground. The animation for it was awesome though.

One thing I hope they add, and I couldn't really tell from the demo is that while you're in a Titan, or at least getting into one, that the audio would change a little bit to sound a bit more like you're in a cockpit. Pretty minor complaint though, and for all I know maybe they had that but it was hard to tell when PAX is so loud even with the headphones on.

Sounds awesome, how did the weapons feel?

The weapons felt pretty good overall. I didn't get to use all of them though. I tried to use the Smart Pistol to start, but that is one tricky fucker to use and right after I died trying to use it I switched to the Assault class which felt like a damn fine machine gun. Everything felt incredibly responsive (it is 60fps afterall, and the demo felt like it maintained that the entire time with no noticeable slowdown). I ended up playing with the Shotgun most of the time. That was awesome for taking down Titan's when rodeo'ing them. I can't recall the reload time when on foot and not sure if it's different when you're attacking the enemy Titan, but it had a surprisingly long reload time. However, two clips took down a Titan if they didn't manage to kill you while you're on top.

But yeah, overall the game is incredibly solid. It looks really pretty too. I feel like anyone who enjoys MP FPS games will fucking love this. I honestly think it's going to be the next big thing. It was one of those games that got my adrenaline pumping while I was playing, which doesn't happen too often for me for games played at a convention.

Spring is a hell of a long wait for this...

Grief.exe

Maybe if Titanfall wasn't coming to the 360 and PC as well. It's a multiplatform game, and that alone weakens it's drive as a next gen hardware pusher.
Since when does a game's presence on the PC compromise its ability to be a "next gen hardware pusher"?

He worded it strangely, but I think he is saying that Titanfall won't exclusively sell next-gen hardware because it is on PC and 360 as well.

I don't think he is making a relative power comparison between XB1 and PC.

statham

AyiK9y9.gif

Sojgat

Sorry for delayed responses, was too busy playing games all day. :p

So I unfortunately never got out of the Titan and put it into follow mode. :( I really wish I could have done that but I was having too much fun being in the Titan to try.

Ejecting is something that's not guaranteed either. I didn't know that going into the demo. Basically when you select eject you need to fill up a bar by mashing X to get out ASAP. It gives the enemy an extra second or two to try to finish you off so everyone doesn't insta-eject out of their Titan's every time.

As for getting in, it was fine. I was hoping that I could get into the Titan from a little bit further distance than what they had set. I also never got to do the jump into the Titan from above bit which is in the trailers. I usually just boarded it from the ground. The animation for it was awesome though.

One thing I hope they add, and I couldn't really tell from the demo is that while you're in a Titan, or at least getting into one, that the audio would change a little bit to sound a bit more like you're in a cockpit. Pretty minor complaint though, and for all I know maybe they had that but it was hard to tell when PAX is so loud even with the headphones on.

The weapons felt pretty good overall. I didn't get to use all of them though. I tried to use the Smart Pistol to start, but that is one tricky fucker to use and right after I died trying to use it I switched to the Assault class which felt like a damn fine machine gun. Everything felt incredibly responsive (it is 60fps afterall, and the demo felt like it maintained that the entire time with no noticeable slowdown). I ended up playing with the Shotgun most of the time. That was awesome for taking down Titan's when rodeo'ing them. I can't recall the reload time when on foot and not sure if it's different when you're attacking the enemy Titan, but it had a surprisingly long reload time. However, two clips took down a Titan if they didn't manage to kill you while you're on top.

But yeah, overall the game is incredibly solid. It looks really pretty too. I feel like anyone who enjoys MP FPS games will fucking love this. I honestly think it's going to be the next big thing. It was one of those games that got my adrenaline pumping while I was playing, which doesn't happen too often for me for games played at a convention.

Spring is a hell of a long wait for this...

Thanks for the response, this is the sort of info I've been dying to hear about this game.

commedieu

Banned
seeing the mech in action really makes me miss a good Mech-Warrior, and Unreal Tournament's potential with vehicles/mechs.

I think TF will be a good addition to the shooter realm, and its bringing some fresh tricks that the usual suspects really can't afford to do at this stage in the game. Will give it a try though. Fo shizsle..

Absinthe

Played this a few times at PAX so far. I agree with the other impressions, this game is really fun. The wall jump/jet pack brings a whole new level of verticality to the gameplay.

You definitely want to use the agility of the pilot to your advantage because the Titans can kill you in no time, although they never felt overpowered. If you got a few pilots around the Titan it was easy to bring them down.

Graphically the game looks good, they had it running on high-end PC hardware. The only part I was not a huge fan of was the militia involvement. At this stage their AI is very basic, it's difficult to identify the real players from the militia, and they become fodder for every other player. Example being, in one of the matches I was 10 and 4, but killed 27 militia because they are everywhere and it seems unnecessary. I wouldn't be upset if they have MP modes without the them at all.

mbmonk

can anyone speak to the general leathality of the weapons? how fast do the weapons kill? especially from a pilot versus pilot perspective.

I played 10 mins of multiplayer during Gamescom (thank you Jonathan Perry!!!) and I must say I didn`t want to stop. My brain was screaming MOOOAAAARRR!!!

It`s a bit chaotic at first, cuz you don`t know where to go and what to do, but then it gets better. I LOVED the part in the end, when defeated team has to - Arnold`s voice - "run to the choppa" and winning team has to stop them (for more points). Simple touch but gives so much joy.

I wasn`t a big fan after E3 presentation, but after this - Titanfall as my desktop wallpaper and a poster on the wall! ;))))

can anyone speak to the general leathality of the weapons? how fast do the weapons kill? especially from a pilot versus pilot perspective.

Not fast. You really have to hit the titan few times to destroy it.

Ushae

Banned

Thanks for the impressions, really great to hear yet another positive preview of the game. Can I ask did you play on keyboard & mouse or X1 controller?

Log4Girlz

Can't speak for graphical capabilities, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look like FUN

I think Titanfall will be the Halo/Gears of this gen

Damn.

And it really seems like a license made to be fun. Like some people were sitting around a table brainstorming and one dude says "You know what would be fucking cool? Parkour with guns a giant robots...yeah we can make a fun as fuck game with that".

I played 10 mins of multiplayer during Gamescom (thank you Jonathan Perry!!!) and I must say I didn`t want to stop. My brain was screaming MOOOAAAARRR!!!

It`s a bit chaotic at first, cuz you don`t know where to go and what to do, but then it gets better. I LOVED the part in the end, when defeated team has to - Arnold`s voice - "run to the choppa" and winning team has to stop them (for more points). Simple touch but gives so much joy.

I wasn`t a big fan after E3 presentation, but after this - Titanfall as my desktop wallpaper and a poster on the wall! ;))))
These impressions make me want to play the game right NOW

So much manufactured hype ;)

Thanks for the impressions, really great to hear yet another positive preview of the game. Can I ask did you play on keyboard & mouse or X1 controller?

All the demo stations had wired 360 gamepads. No option for mouse or keyboard there.

Another tidbit I forgot to mention was our epilogue. We were victorious so we got to chase the enemies out. I was in a titan along with 3 other teammates. We managed to kill one or two pilots on way to the evac ship. Once at the evac site, you do need to wait for the ship to come. When it showed up all 4 of us Titans threw everything we had at it and managed to destroy it before it took off, so nobody made it out. Total victory!

the evac ship is only there for like 12 seconds too. You do have 20-30 seconds to make your way over to where it will be though.

Jrs3000

All the demo stations had wired 360 gamepads. No option for mouse or keyboard there.

Another tidbit I forgot to mention was our epilogue. We were victorious so we got to chase the enemies out. I was in a titan along with 3 other teammates. We managed to kill one or two pilots on way to the evac ship. Once at the evac site, you do need to wait for the ship to come. When it showed up all 4 of us Titans threw everything we had at it and managed to destroy it before it took off, so nobody made it out. Total victory!

the evac ship is only there for like 12 seconds too. You do have 20-30 seconds to make your way over to where it will be though.

That's what I like, new gameplay ideas. Day 1 on PC for me.

Raide

You Giant Metal Douches. :D

I was wondering if you could down the evac ship or not. I wonder if it will always be a ship or something else? I love the idea of making it out alive, or chasing down fleeing pilots?

Bsigg12

I'm wondering if all the added AI players will be much more viable at launch once they have that system running in the background on a server. That is the only thing I'm cautious about because they just sound like cannon fodder and I hope Respawn builds the AI up enough to actually be a threat.

Raide

I'm wondering if all the added AI players will be much more viable at launch once they have that system running in the background on a server. That is the only thing I'm cautious about because they just sound like cannon fodder and I hope Respawn builds the AI up enough to actually be a threat.

I dunno. I think the real players will be the actual threat but we have really not seen much from the A.I apart from getting shot. :D

Hopefully they have some players versus A.I Attack & Defend type mode.

Well they're a threat. The AI soldiers don't have jetpacks like pilots do from what I recall (could be wrong) so you can generally get away from them. However they do as much damage as any other player and they generally seemed to be in squads and not lone wolfing. I was taken out by 3 of them firing at me. They also seemed to be good at staying in cover and not aimlessly running around with a "shoot me" sign on them.

They were easier to take out than actual players for sure, but they did feel like more of a threat than what you imagine cannon fodder to be.

Top Bottom