• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 25 censored stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2007/index.htm

Those are just short excerpts, it would be too long to quote everything.

#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media

Throughout 2005 and 2006, a large underground debate raged regarding the future of the Internet. More recently referred to as “network neutrality,” the issue has become a tug of war with cable companies on the one hand and consumers and Internet service providers on the other. Yet despite important legislative proposals and Supreme Court decisions throughout 2005, the issue was almost completely ignored in the headlines until 2006.1 And, except for occasional coverage on CNBC’s Kudlow & Kramer, mainstream television remains hands-off to this day (June 2006).2

#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran

According to journalist Jason Leopold, sources at former Cheney company Halliburton allege that, as recently as January of 2005, Halliburton sold key components for a nuclear reactor to an Iranian oil development company. Leopold says his Halliburton sources have intimate knowledge of the business dealings of both Halliburton and Oriental Oil Kish, one of Iran’s largest private oil companies.

#3 Oceans of the World in Extreme Danger

Oceanic problems once found on a local scale are now pandemic. Data from oceanography, marine biology, meteorology, fishery science, and glaciology reveal that the seas are changing in ominous ways. A vortex of cause and effect wrought by global environmental dilemmas is changing the ocean from a watery horizon with assorted regional troubles to a global system in alarming distress.

#4 Hunger and Homelessness Increasing in the US

The number of hungry and homeless people in U.S. cities continued to grow in 2005, despite claims of an improved economy. Increased demand for vital services rose as needs of the most destitute went unmet, according to the annual U.S. Conference of Mayors Report, which has documented increasing need since its 1982 inception.

#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo

The world’s most neglected emergency, according to the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, is the ongoing tragedy of the Congo, where six to seven million have died since 1996 as a consequence of invasions and wars sponsored by western powers trying to gain control of the region’s mineral wealth. At stake is control of natural resources that are sought by U.S. corporations—diamonds, tin, copper, gold, and more significantly, coltan and niobium, two minerals necessary for production of cell phones and other high-tech electronics; and cobalt, an element essential to nuclear, chemical, aerospace, and defense industries.

#6 Federal Whistleblower Protection in Jeopardy

Special Counsel Scott Bloch, appointed by President Bush in 2004, is overseeing the virtual elimination of federal whistleblower rights in the U.S. government.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel (OSC), the agency that is supposed to protect federal employees who blow the whistle on waste, fraud, and abuse is dismissing hundreds of cases while advancing almost none. According to the Annual Report for 2004 (which was not released until the end of first quarter fiscal year 2006) less than 1.5 percent of whistleblower claims were referred for investigation while more than 1000 reports were closed before they were even opened. Only eight claims were found to be substantiated, and one of those included the theft of a desk, while another included attendance violations. Favorable outcomes have declined 24 percent overall, and this is all in the first year that the new special counsel, Scott Bloch, has been in office.

# 7 US Operatives Torture Detainees to Death in Afghanistan and Iraq

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) released documents of forty-four autopsies held in Afghanistan and Iraq October 25, 2005. Twenty-one of those deaths were listed as homicides. The documents show that detainees died during and after interrogations by Navy SEALs, Military Intelligence, and Other Government Agency (OGA).
“These documents present irrefutable evidence that U.S. operatives tortured detainees to death during interrogation,” said Amrit Singh, an attorney with the ACLU. “The public has a right to know who authorized the use of torture techniques and why these deaths have been covered up.”

#8 Pentagon Exempt from Freedom of Information Act

The Department of Defense has been granted exemption from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). In December 2005, Congress passed the 2006 Defense Authorization Act which renders Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) “operational files” fully immune to FOIA requests, the main mechanism by which watchdog groups, journalists and individuals can access federal documents. Of particular concern to critics of the Defense Authorization Act is the DIA’s new right to thwart access to files that may reveal human rights violations tied to ongoing “counterterrorism” efforts.
The rule could, for instance, frustrate the work of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other organizations that have relied on FOIA to uncover more than 30,000 documents on the U.S. military’s involvement in the torture and mistreatment of foreign detainees in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay, and Iraq—including the Abu Ghraib scandal.

#9 The World Bank Funds Israel-Palestine Wall

Despite the 2004 International Court of Justice (ICJ) decision that called for tearing down the Wall and compensating affected communities, construction of the Wall has accelerated. The route of the barrier runs deep into Palestinian territory, aiding the annexation of Israeli settlements and the breaking of Palestinian territorial continuity. The World Bank’s vision of “economic development,” however, evades any discussion of the Wall’s illegality.

#10 Expanded Air War in Iraq Kills More Civilians

There is widespread speculation that President Bush, confronted by diminishing approval ratings and dissent within his own party as well as within the military itself, will begin pulling American troops out of Iraq in 2006. A key element of the drawdown plans not mentioned in the President’s public statements, or in mainstream media for that matter, is that the departing American troops will be replaced by American airpower.

#11 Dangers of Genetically Modified Food Confirmed

Several recent studies confirm fears that genetically modified (GM) foods damage human health. These studies were released as the World Trade Organization (WTO) moved toward upholding the ruling that the European Union has violated international trade rules by stopping importation of GM foods.

#12 Pentagon Plans to Build New Landmines

The Bush administration plans to resume production of antipersonnel landmine systems in a move that is at odds with both the international community and previous U.S. policy, according to the leading human rights organization, Human Rights Watch (HRW).

#13 New Evidence Establishes Dangers of Roundup

New studies from both sides of the Atlantic reveal that Roundup, the most widely used weedkiller in the world, poses serious human health threats. More than 75 percent of genetically modified (GM) crops are engineered to tolerate the absorption of Roundup—it eliminates all plants that are not GM. Monsanto Inc., the major engineer of GM crops, is also the producer of Roundup. Thus, while Roundup was formulated as a weapon against weeds, it has become a prevalent ingredient in most of our food crops.

#14 Homeland Security Contracts KBR to Build Detention Centers in the US

Halliburton’s subsidiary KBR (formerly Kellogg, Brown and Root) announced on January 24, 2006 that it had been awarded a $385 million contingency contract by the Department of Homeland Security to build detention camps in the United States.

#15 Chemical Industry is EPA’s Primary Research Partner

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) research program is increasingly relying on corporate joint ventures, according to agency documents obtained by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). The American Chemical Council (ACC) is now EPA’s leading research partner and the EPA is diverting funds from basic health and environmental research towards research that addresses regulatory concerns of corporate funders.

#16 Ecuador and Mexico Defy US on International Criminal Court

Ecuador and Mexico have refused to sign bilateral immunity agreements (BIA) with the U.S., in ratification of the International Criminal Court (ICC) treaty. Despite the Bush administration’s threat to withhold economic aid, both countries confirmed allegiance to the ICC, the international body established to try individuals accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

#17 Iraq Invasion Promotes OPEC Agenda

According to a report from journalist, Greg Palast, the U.S. invasion of Iraq was indeed about the oil. However, it wasn’t to destroy OPEC, as claimed by neoconservatives in the administration, but to take part in it.

The U.S. strategic occupation of Iraq has been an effective means of acquiring access to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). As long as the interim government adheres to the production caps set by the organization, the U.S. will ensure profits to the international oil companies (IOCs), the OPEC cartel, and Russia.

#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story

Research into the events of September 11 by Brigham Young University physics professor, Steven E. Jones, concludes that the official explanation for the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) buildings is implausible according to laws of physics. Jones is calling for an independent, international scientific investigation “guided not by politicized notions and constraints but rather by observations and calculations.”

#19 Destruction of Rainforests Worst Ever

New developments in satellite imaging technology reveal that the Amazon rainforest is being destroyed twice as quickly as previously estimated due to the surreptitious practice of selective logging.

#20 Bottled Water: A Global Environmental Problem

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief—often mistaken—that it is better for us than what flows from our taps. Worldwide, bottled water consumption surged to 41 billion gallons in 2004, up 57 percent since 1999.

“Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing—producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy,” reports Earth Policy Institute researcher Emily Arnold. Although in much of the world, including Europe and the U.S., more regulations govern the quality of tap water than bottled water, bottled water can cost up to 10,000 times more. At up to $10 per gallon, bottled water costs more than gasoline in the United States.

#21 Gold Mining Threatens Ancient Andean Glaciers

Barrick Gold, a powerful multinational gold mining company, planned to melt three Andean glaciers in order to access gold deposits through open pit mining. The water from the glaciers would have been held for refreezing in the following winters. Opposition to the mine because of destruction to water sources for Andean farmers was widespread in Chile and the rest of the world. Barrick Gold’s Pascua Lama project represents one of the largest foreign investments in Chile in recent years, totaling $1.5 billion. However, some 70,000 downstream farmers backed by international environmental organizations and activists around the world waged a campaign against the proposed mine.

#22 $Billions in Homeland Security Spending Undisclosed

More than $8 billion in Homeland Security funds has been doled out to states since the September 11, 2001 attacks, but the public has little chance of knowing how this money is being spent.

#23 US Oil Targets Kyoto in Europe

Lobbyists funded by the U.S. oil industry have launched a campaign in Europe aimed at derailing efforts to tackle greenhouse gas pollution and climate change.

Documents obtained by Greenpeace reveal a systematic plan to persuade European business, politicians and the media that the European Union should abandon its commitments under the Kyoto protocol, the international agreement that aims to reduce emissions that lead to global warming.

#24 Cheney’s Halliburton Stock Rose Over 3000 Percent Last Year

Vice President Dick Cheney’s stock options in Halliburton rose from $241,498 in 2004 to over $8 million in 2005, an increase of more than 3,000 percent, as Halliburton continues to rake in billions of dollars from no-bid/no-audit government contracts.

#25 US Military in Paraguay Threatens Region

Five hundred U.S. troops arrived in Paraguay with planes, weapons, and ammunition in July 2005, shortly after the Paraguayan Senate granted U.S. troops immunity from national and International Criminal Court (ICC) jurisdiction. Neighboring countries and human rights organizations are concerned that the massive air base at Mariscal Estigarribia, Paraguay is potential real estate for the U.S. military.

APF

HomShaBom said:
Wow @ Halliburton, corporation of criminals
lol, Truthout.

#10 Expanded Air War in Iraq Kills More Civilians

There is widespread speculation that President Bush, confronted by diminishing approval ratings and dissent within his own party as well as within the military itself, will begin pulling American troops out of Iraq in 2006. A key element of the drawdown plans not mentioned in the President’s public statements, or in mainstream media for that matter, is that the departing American troops will be replaced by American airpower.

lol

Eric P

APF said:

seriously

speculation of possible events is a censored story?

plus wouldn't this air war be really ineffective at stopping partisans while not killing tons of random iraqis?

Jonm1010

Banned
Eric P said:
seriously

speculation of possible events is a censored story?

plus wouldn't this air war be really ineffective at stopping partisans while not killing tons of random iraqis?

you need to read the whole article the censored story isnt about the speculation it is about the increased use of air attacks compared to earlier in the campaign, it just so happens OP only pasted the first paragraph of each which is not a summary but an introduction, the revisted piece below the article specifically states it means to acknowledge the fact that america is using more air attacks which historically leads to more iraqi civilian deaths and is no doubt a cause for increasing hostility from iraqi civilians toward the american occupation.

solidus.png

Damn the Patriots!

I reaaally reaaaally don't want to offend anyone, but it's pretty noticable how the USA plays a big part in most of those bad things that get covered up. bad things concerning mostly the rest of the world.

Souldriver said:
I reaaally reaaaally don't want to offend anyone, but it's pretty noticable how the USA plays a big part in most of those bad things that get covered up. bad things concerning mostly the rest of the world.

Well, all the other great powers are no saints either. But being the lone super power (for now) means you're involved in nasty business in more places than other countries are.

HomShaBom

Banned
Souldriver said:

Every single 1st world government is involved in cover-ups.

Eric P

Jonm1010 said:
you need to read the whole article the censored story isnt about the speculation it is about the increased use of air attacks compared to earlier in the campaign, it just so happens OP only pasted the first paragraph of each which is not a summary but an introduction, the revisted piece below the article specifically states it means to acknowledge the fact that america is using more air attacks which historically leads to more iraqi civilian deaths and is no doubt a cause for increasing hostility from iraqi civilians toward the american occupation.

ok, i'll read that when i get home.

thanks for the heads up

edit

i went and read this when i got home, and i still don't see why this is a top censored story.

i don't believe that they will do increase this much further because of this paragraph

While battle fatigue increases among U.S. troops, the prospect of using airpower as a substitute for American troops on the ground has caused great unease within the military. Air Force commanders, in particular, have deep-seated objections to the possibility that Iraqis will eventually be responsible for target selection. Hersh quotes a senior military planner now on assignment in the Pentagon, “Will the Iraqis call in air strikes in order to snuff rivals, or other warlords, or to snuff members of their own sect and blame someone else? Will some Iraqis be targeting on behalf of al-Qaeda, or the insurgency, or the Iranians?”

When the article quoted was first published (dec 05) that may have been a possibility, but many things changed in this year.

However it's current continued use is unknown to me. Has this tapered off or does it continue? It's not like one can just email Seymour Hersh and ask.

I would think that they way that the war has shifted would now nessecitate a rethinking of this strategy.

What I would think a better story here would be "Was Isreal's war against Hezbollah an intended practice run for a war against Iran?" What degree of support did the USA promise to give or even actually give to Isreal before and during this conflict?

HomShaBom said:

Oh yeah and the stories highlighted are obviously American-centric in nature. Because outside of the US, who gives a rat's ass if Homeland Security has a few billions unaccounted for or that American whistleblowers gets the shaft?

Archer

For those items relating to the United States, they're all good reasons to move. I've had it with the U.S.

I'm strongly weighing the option of handing in my American citizenship and seeking Canadian citizenship in the next few years.

Edit: Sorry for typing errors. Am usually more on point.

HomShaBom said:
Well, I guess so. But in my country it would rather be because the government doesn't want the public to be outraged because a politician has build a bathroom in it's house, funded by tax money. Oh noes!

Just last week there was a giant fund raiser to remove anti-personnel mines in third world countries and give prothesis to the victims of them. It's kind of cynical the USA just plans to produce more of those landmines..and guess where they'll be placed.

I'm not trying to make the american citizens look bad, I'm just calling you on your comment that seems to imply every country is doing as bad is the USA government is doing right now.

APF

Archer said:
For those items relating to the United States, they're all good reasons to move. I've had it with the U.S.
Well certainly the assertion that the US staged the 9/11 attacks would be a good reason to move.

Archer said:

I'm storongly weighing the option of handing in my American citizenship and seeking Canadian citizenship in the next few years.

Pretty much agreed but I'll be getting a dual citizenship in Australia. Canada seems too close to the US.

The breaking point for me will be 2008. If Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, or John McCain becomes President, I'm a ghost in this joint. I will return when people wake up from their lazy, selfish stupor. Hopefully that will be sometime in my life.

The Experiment said:
Pretty much agreed but I'll be getting a dual citizenship in Australia. Canada seems too close to the US.

The breaking point for me will be 2008. If Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, or John McCain becomes President, I'm a ghost in this joint. I will return when people wake up from their lazy, selfish stupor. Hopefully that will be sometime in my life.

But Australia acts more like America's bitch than Canada does. Distance means nothing for lapdogs.

Instigator said:
But Australia acts more like America's bitch than Canada does. Distance means nothing for lapdogs.

I knew Howard was a Bush bitch but I figured the rest of Australia would be different. I imagine the same goes for the UK.

Hmm. Sucks. I might consider Germany.

I got a year and half to make a choice but I shouldn't even have to do that in the first place. I hope I won't have to leave.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
HomShaBom said:
Wow @ Halliburton, corporation of criminals

OH SHUT UP YOU"RE SUCH A CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!11111

I want to vomit when I think of how disgustingly rich people associated with that corporation became with this war.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story

Research into the events of September 11 by Brigham Young University physics professor, Steven E. Jones, concludes that the official explanation for the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) buildings is implausible according to laws of physics. Jones is calling for an independent, international scientific investigation “guided not by politicized notions and constraints but rather by observations and calculations.”

what was his theory then?

wave dial

Completely unable to understand satire
Souldriver said:
Well, I guess so. But in my country it would rather be because the government doesn't want the public to be outraged because a politician has build a bathroom in it's house, funded by tax money. Oh noes!

Just last week there was a giant fund raiser to remove anti-personnel mines in third world countries and give prothesis to the victims of them. It's kind of cynical the USA just plans to produce more of those landmines..and guess where they'll be placed.

I'm not trying to make the american citizens look bad, I'm just calling you on your comment that seems to imply every country is doing as bad is the USA government is doing right now.
maybe you can say that the scandals in.. .say.. Monaco won't negatively affect as many people

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
#20 Bottled Water: A Global Environmental Problem

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief—often mistaken—that it is better for us than what flows from our taps. Worldwide, bottled water consumption surged to 41 billion gallons in 2004, up 57 percent since 1999.

“Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing—producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy,” reports Earth Policy Institute researcher Emily Arnold. Although in much of the world, including Europe and the U.S., more regulations govern the quality of tap water than bottled water, bottled water can cost up to 10,000 times more. At up to $10 per gallon, bottled water costs more than gasoline in the United States.

Hah, yeah that one still astounds me. The only time I'll buy a pack of bottled water is when I need containers to refill with my tap water. My friends all sort of look on in amazement when I just, gasp, fill a normal glass with water straight from my tap. Yes, it's city water, and yes, it tastes fine to me. I grew up drinking well water and still prefer that, but I suspect most people drink bottled water out of some misguided paranoia.

tedtropy said:
Hah, yeah that one still astounds me. The only time I'll buy a pack of bottled water is when I need containers to refill with my tap water. My friends all sort of look on in amazement when I just, gasp, fill a normal glass with water straight from my tap. Yes, it's city water, and yes, it tastes fine to me. I grew up drinking well water and still prefer that, but I suspect most people drink bottled water out of some misguided paranoia.

I think it's rather funny that your bottled water is considered more expensive than gasoline - that's because Americans pay so little for the gas not because of the water being expensive (still $10 for a gallon is a little much).

Also I prefer to drink water that went through nature first than the stuff where your shit swam in a few days ago.

APF

If the freedom fighters in Iraq stopped fighting for freedom, wouldn't that lead to Halliburton's business there drying up? Why do freedom fighters love Halliburton so much, and why do people support the freedom fighters continuing to fight for freedom even though it only makes Halliburton richer from the resulting war, a fact that makes the supporters of freedom fighters fighting for freedom vomit when they think about it?

The Halliburton/Iran deal is similar to what happened in 1979 with the USSR and Afghanistan. Jimmy Carter gave aid to the Soviets and told them that they would not interfere with an Afghan invasion. Then, the CIA trained the muhajadeen to fight off the Soviets. In the meantime, the morale of the Soviet Union would plummet and cause unrest and unpopularity, which would lead to its demise.

In this scenario, by giving Iran nuclear technology, Iran just bought its own death sentence. When IAEA inspectors may take a look and see what Iran is actually doing, they will find technology that will counter their proposal of energy only. That way, the IAEA and US can run and say, "Hey look, we found nuclear weapon technology being made in Iran right now!" Sanctions, bombings, funding opposition groups until Iran has another revolution.

=============================

I still am shocked with the story of hunger. Considering how cheap and plentiful nutritional food is, I'm wondering what might be the problem.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait... Halliburton has a potential deal to make detention camps in the US? WTF.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
East Clintwood said:
Also I prefer to drink water that went through nature first than the stuff where your shit swam in a few days ago.
So the excrements of fish and various other aquatic lifeforms are still ok?

APF

Kastrioti said:
All this from a far left blog? No thanks. I read enough far left lunacy on these forums.
Are you actually trying to suggest that Truthout isn't exactly the most reliable site on the net? At long last, have you no shame??

The Experiment said:
Pretty much agreed but I'll be getting a dual citizenship in Australia.

If you retain your American citizenship while living abroad, you have to pay taxes to the US AND the country you move to. There was an article not long ago about how increasing numbers of Americans living abroad are turning in their citizenship to avoid paying those taxes.

platypotamus said:
If you retain your American citizenship while living abroad, you have to pay taxes to the US AND the country you move to. There was an article not long ago about how increasing numbers of Americans living abroad are turning in their citizenship to avoid paying those taxes.

Damn. I guess it all depends on how much I like life in the nation I choose. I may just turn mine in if things in the US keep remaining as bad or worse.

Apparently, Bush plans on deploying 20,000 more troops and spending $100 billion of taxpayer's money on Iraq. If he were smart, he'd already have sent in the CIA to do their dirty deeds, which can be done dirt cheap.

I don't care about anyone's web blog or live journal or personal political-theory site.

I consider the source for my news and information.

thinking.jpg
critical-thinking-cartoon.jpg

I also don't really want growth hormones in my milk. I drink soy or Borden.

Borden products are naturally produced without artificial hormones from cows not treated with rBST. Recombinant bovine somatotropin rBST (also known as recombinant bovine growth hormone rBGH) is a genetically engineered version of a natural growth hormone found in cattle that increases milk output from cows. As the furor over the use of rBST continues you can rest assured knowing Borden has mandated their farms are certified "rBST free" and that Borden products are from cows not treated with the rBST growth hormone.

:lol And again, about this blog, anything with a anti-President image on the front page screams "discredit me, for I have a whacko bias!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom