• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also notice at the beginning of the trailer he has a band-aid? Probably from the bottle she breaks over his head later on in the trailer.
What if he handcuffs her to the bed because he saw the news footage of the spider monsters attacking the soldiers and doesn't know if she's infected or bitten or something

Tansut

I've enjoyed the discussion/theories more than the movie itself haha
This is a pretty apt summary of the thread at this point:

3wDtM9t.gif

I suspect the scenes with her knee are from the start of the movie when she awakens there, suspects she's been kidnapped and tries to escape. Later when she's doing the puzzles, looking content are after she's looked outside the window and realized there's no hope out there.

Something like that, I think the brace is handcuffed to the wall, she takes it off and explores the place alone with the crutch before someone stops her reaching the door. I think the situation outside won't be seen by her to start with, it'll be explained to her less reliably.

She finally opens the door, there's a white light and credits roll.

Mystery box remains unopened!

She won't even open the outside door, the final shot will be a close up of her shocked face looking at whatever is on the other side of the window.

JJ Abrams is a genius.

CDX

So, timeline:

May 2012 - Script "The Cellar" written and shopped around
April 2014 - Paramount's Insurge Green-Lights "Valencia" (renamed from "The Cellar" script) with Bad Robot to Produce and Director Dan Trachtenberg is Brought On to Direct
April 2014 - Director Posts Picture of Script on Instagram
July 2014 - John Goodman Rumored to Star
August 2014 - Mary Winstead Joins "The Cellar"/"Valencia" as Michelle
September 2014 - John Gallagher Jr. Joins "Valencia"
October 2014 - Filming for "Valencia" Begins "...has been going by the codename “Valencia” since Bad Robot became involved. No word on what the actual title of the movie will be."
October 2014/November 2014 - Director Posts Various Set Images on Instagram
December 2014 - Filming Wraps for "Valencia"
February 2015 - "The Cellar"/"Valencia" in Post-Production, Paramount Extends Contract with Bad Robot
March 2015 - Insurge (And Sole Project "The Cellar"/"Valencia") Absorbed Into Paramount
March 2015 - Mary Winstead: "It’s one of those Bad Robot, can’t say anything about the script type of projects... I was at Bad Robot the other day, and they showed me the trailer for it, which looks really cool. I’m excited."
July 2015 - Director Posts "Movie Magic" Shot on Twitter (Potentially Unrelated)
November 2015 - Test Screening for "Valencia"
January 2016 - First Trailer Revealed for the Newly Renamed "10 Cloverfield Lane"; Abrahms claims it as a "blood relative of Cloverfield"

Good summary.

At this point, I can't tell if "Cloverfield" will be a new anthology type brand name like "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" where every story is different. Or if "10 Cloverfield Lane" is actually a direct sequel set in the same universe as the 2008 "Cloverfield" movie.

There will be so much mis-direction with the marketing going around for these next 2 months.

BUT the IMAX release, implies, at least to me it does, that this isn't just some low budget 5 million dollar movie with the 3 characters stuck in a bomb shelter for the entire movie. So whether it's a direct sequel or something new, IMO there is more to the movie than that bomb shelter.

She won't even open the outside door, the final shot will be a close up of her shocked face looking at whatever is on the other side of the window.

JJ Abrams is a genius.

pretty much, the line in the poster is basically saying humans (john goodman the god) can be monsters so thats what the movie will be about

hell i bet it happens during cloverfield or right at the beginning, and goodman tells his neighbors? niece or nephew ? to get into the bunker and that shake/ bomb is when they shoot bombs at the monster

I do hope it's not just three in a barn though. Or
subway / bomb shelter
, which is what it seemed to be. I'm guessing this is basically
the aftermath of (creature still alive) or during the first movie. Kind of what happens when some giant unkillable (how would that even work?) thing takes over the surface
. Assuming it even is a sequel of any kind, and not a side-story of some other kind.
I won't pretend that the first one was all that great and all, but one thing it did have was overwhelmingly solid sound design. The fact that the sounds continue no matter where the cast is and so on is what's great about it. Aside from linking it an ARG which made it seem like a bigger deal than just a monster movie (which it is).

Ashhong

a3PKYRX.png

What's in the
barrel
?

That barrel, plus the gloves he's putting on makes me think it's something toxic. I'm immediately thinking of the acid they used in Breaking Bad and such, that can be used to dissolve humans and is only safe to carry in plastic.

I didn't see anybody post the poster?

normal_01~356.jpg

The tagline and the image definitely make me think that the movie takes place in the cellar, and that Goodman is the "monster"

edit: I guess it was added to the OP at some point. Haven't looked at that since last night.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Let's hope jj isn't involved in the monster creation this time. The monster was such a big disappointment in the original as well in super 8. It ruined both of them for me.

Ashhong

That seems way too obvious.

What else could that tagline mean though? If we were taking it at face value, I think everyone would agree that it's referring to a human, possibly Goodman.

I guess it's different here because we are all trying to look for a hidden meaning behind everything. But they can't make every part of their marketing some big twist..

gamz

What else could that tagline mean though? If we were taking it at face value, I think everyone would agree that it's referring to a human, possibly Goodman.

I guess it's different here because we are all trying to look for a hidden meaning behind everything. But they can't make every part of their marketing some big twist..

Eh. Goodman could be a Monster or what he's saying is the truth.

Perhaps the twist is that while the one form of a monster (that the trailer/tagline are referring to) is human, the other is a giant city-wrecking kaiju

Ashhong

Eh. Goodman could be a Monster or what he's saying is the truth.

I don't doubt that he's also telling the truth. But that tag line "comes in many forms" doesn't usually mean "these monsters have different shapes".

I also don't think it's necessarily ONLY Goodman being a monster of a person. I'm just saying I think that's what the tagline is referring to, which IMO means that it will focus mainly on their interaction with him before then showing real monsters.

Perhaps the twist is that while the one form of a monster (that the trailer/tagline are referring to) is human, the other is a giant city-wrecking kaiju

Yea, this is what I mean.

Man I'm so excited for this movie. Love a good monster movie and a psychological thriller so no matter what I should be happy here.

Holy shit, what.

Great trailer, but reading more details about the movie makes me think there aren't gonna be much (any?) monsters on screen.
A psychological horror of the bunker being attacked by shit from outside could be cool, since I'm assuming that trailer isn't in chronological order at all and she probably doesn't leave.

spookyfish

Possibly, but the trailer seems to show that, so ... in true Abrams' misdirection form, that's probably not it.

Or it is.

Hell, I don't know.

I was just redoing some plumbing in one of my bathrooms and while looking at the pipe I noticed the name Valencia as we know is a code name for the film.
I thought huh what a funny coincidence then it dawned on me. The L in the poster is a giant pipe.
I began thinking even more and then it hit me. What other popular entertainment medium features pipes? Thats right Mario Brothers.

JJ Abrams is stealth releasing a new Mario brothers movie with John Goodman as Mario, John Gallagher as Luigi, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Peach. Thats why Winstead is shocked when she looks out at the door, its because she see's Bowser which gives credence as to why John Goodman doesn't want her to open the door. So its actually not Cloverfield 2 but Mario Brothers 2.Boom another case solved.

I was just redoing some plumbing in one of my bathrooms and while looking at the pipe I noticed the name Valencia as we know is a code name for the film.
I thought huh what a funny coincidence then it dawned on me. The L in the poster is a giant pipe.
I began thinking even more and then it hit me. What other popular entertainment medium features pipes? Thats right Mario Brothers.

JJ Abrams is stealth releasing a new Mario brothers movie with John Goodman as Mario, John Gallagher as Luigi, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Peach. Thats why Winstead is shocked when she looks out at the door, its because she see's Bowser which gives credence as to why John Goodman doesn't want her to open the door. So its actually not Cloverfield 2 but Mario Brothers 2.Boom another case solved.
I agree with all of this.

Pretty sure MEW is gonna wind up being the monster they reference in the poster.

Think about it. Twisting misdirection all over the place.

MEW is in a car wreck. Blacks out. Goodman saves her and takes her into his bunker, where he's living due to fallout from the events of Cloverfield. MEW wakes up and gets fed what she sees as a load of shit by some crazy fuck about nuclear fallout and chemical weapons. With MEW as the main character we as the audience side with her, thinking that maybe Goodman is full of shit after all. Then at the end she breaks free, opens the door to the bunker and oh shit, he was right the whole time, something gets into the bunker (gas, monster, whatever) and it's all because of her actions that they all die.

Has this been confirmed to be a sequal yet?

JJ said it is a blood relative, that's as close as we've come. So not a direct sequel but not something new. Spinoff.

Timeaisis

Looks a lot better than the first one already.

EDIT: Also, how fucking cool would it be if this movie had this Take Shelter thing going on where the audience doesn't even know if there is shit out there or not and if John Goodman is lying. Then, during the actual movie, you find out it's some Cloverfield monster shit. Of course, at this point, the trailer basically spoils that it's science fiction of some kind. But how could would that be. From Psycho Thriller to Sci-Fi Thriller, audience none the wiser until the big reveal. Oh, a man can dream.

gamz

Looks a lot better than the first one already.

EDIT: Also, how fucking cool would it be if this movie had this Take Shelter thing going on where the audience doesn't even know if there is shit out there or not and if John Goodman is lying. Then, during the actual movie, you find out it's some Cloverfield monster shit. Of course, at this point, the trailer basically spoils that it's science fiction of some kind. But how could would that be. From Psycho Thriller to Sci-Fi Thriller, audience none the wiser until the big reveal. Oh, a man can dream.

Since it's has Cloverfield in its name it wouldn't be much of a reveal.

ArjanN

Since it's has Cloverfield in its name it wouldn't be much of a reveal.

It would only be a twist if there wasn't any sci-fi stuff, but honestly the twist doesn't really fully work either way, so i'm guessing it's probably both a sci-fi threat and a 'humans are the real monsters' kind of thing. I'm also guessing the nature of outside threat is something very different this time and not just Godzilla again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom