• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

Soriku

Wait Baten Kaitos is tri-Crescendo, I think they are independent from tri-Ace.

Please someone confirm Baten Kaitos can sill exist (non-smartphone)

tri-Crescendo has nothing to do with tri-Ace. But I don't think there is much publisher interest in making another Baten Kaitos though, unfortunately...

KiraXD

No one wants to play HD games with amazing graphics on 60" screens anymore.

4" screens with touch controls is the future of gaming... its gonna be so AWESOME!

no... its really not.

Korigama

LOicMJA.jpg
First thing that came to mind for me.

All you people who didn't buy Resonance of Fate should be ashamed!!
I bought two copies and imported Phantasy Star Nova!

I guess the english version of Nova isn't going to happen now either. :-(

Well this news does kinda suck, but at least they are still alive - the owners have been compensated and there will be more Tri Ace games if they keep the team together.

I hope that we see some great mobile games from these guys and some of them head westwards. Good luck Tri Ace. We'll be waiting here with our consoles should you ever feel like coming back. :'(

No one going to ever again take a chance trying an at all different combat system confirmed. Only familiar, non-controversial, entirely boring crap. Crap that's proven to be "reliable" and "consistent sellers". People who think this is not a big deal should go play some of their games and have faces melted.

Star Ocean? Resonance Of Fate? It was fun last gen... probably a good 250 hours total! Two of my favorite combat engines, coincidentally! RoF in particular was quite the risk with a bonkers-high difficulty and arc travel momentum-based charging gun combat but damn it was satisfying once you nailed it. So gorgeous that it does not properly translate into words (as that last sentence proved). 'Twas my first PS3 Platinum if I recall.

Reveirg

At least I still have some of their games to go through.

Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean 1 and Radiata Stories. Will play those soon...

And there's a fan translation for Beyond the Labyrinth in the works. That should be fun.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, why didn't one of the healthier Japanese (console) Publishers buy them for these peanuts.... This is so sad:(

Well this Nepro Japan might be a very healthy company :p

Such a pity though.

Will miss their unique battle systems.

Guess it's up to Idea Factory and Compile Hearts now for consoles :p

Reveirg

JRPG devs are slowly falling one by one.

At least Level-5 in swimming in money thanks to Youkai Watch. Will be nice to see where some of that money's going for at E3 (PS4 title).

They hadn't released anything in the last few years, right..?
What did they work on..?
Judas Code (VITA/iOS, F2P) and Chronos Ring (iOS, F2P, with some Shimomura music...).

Before that, Phantasy Star Nova (VITA, Sega), Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS, Konami) and Frontier Gate (PSP, Konami).

Links_fantasy

They were also co developers of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. Such a waste of talent I remember loving Radiata Stories on PS2. They had a hand in tons of jrpg's over the last few cycles. Square Enix should have brought them to help out with their games. Mobile is killing the Japanes industry.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Good bye old friend. I shall always remember the good times we had together tri-Ace, such as Resonance of Fate and Valkyrie Profile.

I shall mourn your loss.

Caronte

JRPG devs are slowly falling one by one.

At least Level-5 in swimming in money thanks to Youkai Watch. Will be nice to see where some of that money's going for at E3 (PS4 title).

Wouldn't that be funded by Sony? They have a history of working together.

HeelPower

Great final list of outings on last gen.These games have some of the finest gameplay.
flG1ysI.png

In addition they created one of my favorite experiences and best ARPGs on PS2.

Radiata Stories.Thank you tri-Ace.You were great and I loved you.

radiatastoriesmoment610.jpg

I guess Radiata Stories has no chance of re-releasing on PSN now...

No one wants to play HD games with amazing graphics on 60" screens anymore.

You joke, but the problem is, in Japan this is unironically true for a plethora of reasons. Japan is falling out of love with the set-top hard and it's questionable whether there's really a way to stop the momentum at this point.

An increasingly small number of developers are finding success in the set-top space. You can expect to see more of this sort of thing as we go forward, at least until some kind of tide turns and people begin to wish for more complex experiences than touch-mobile devices can deliver... presuming they ever do.

(Then of course there's the social pressure on adults to not play videogames, and how phones allow them to "conceal" doing this, but that's basically a whole thread to itself... which I think we need to have, although I think there are others who are a bit better qualified than I to write a really proper OP for it.)

Oregano

Considering they've had nothing but failures for the last few years this is good for the company. It would have been nice if a console pub snapped them up but this is better than them closing down.

DR2K

Banned
sad that I won't get a chance to play a new star ocean or Valkyrie profile and that these games may never get rereleases. Does Triace own those IPs?

Producer

damn this blows. Always loved their games from VP to Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate.

i'll probably try their mobile efforts but still...

Top Bottom