• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he "would be honoured" to meet with Kim Jong Un

Spicer aside, I think people are reading too much into Trump using the word "honored".

Words matter when you are the leader of a superpower.

In the past week, Trump has shown deference to North Korea and publicly demanded payment from South Korea for missile defense (which McMaster had to clean up after). What's the strategy here?

wandering

Banned
There's a difference between diplomacy and sycophancy. We might use the word "diplomacy" in everyday speech to mean tact and politeness, but in international negotiations, diplomacy isn't synonymous with bootlicking:

la-oe-boot-putin-obama-comparison-20160913-snap

TaterTots

Banned
Pretty sure he means that he would meet him and try to change things, but I don't blame people for twisting the situation given it is Trump.

Compsiox

Banned
Words from the President matters. Obama knew this better than anyone else. Trump is the complete opposite.

Yes, but I feel like he doesn't think before he speaks very often. So I think this was a result of that.

He should though.

Yes, but I feel like he doesn't think before he speaks very often. So I think this was a result of that.

He should though.
The President of the United States should choose his words wisely.

Or else you might end up with a situation where the public is confused by the President saying he'd be honored to meet with North Korea

There's a difference between diplomacy and sycophancy. We might use the word "diplomacy" in everyday speech to mean tact and politeness, but in international negotiations, diplomacy isn't synonymous with bootlicking:
Man, I miss the time where our President was a leader to look up to. Obama can do an imposing glare when he wants

Compsiox

Banned
The President of the United States should choose his words wisely.

Or else you might end up with a situation where the public is confused by the President saying he'd be honored to meet with North Korea

Man, I miss the time where our President was a leader to look up to. Obama can do an imposing glare when he wants

I said he should

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Words matter when you are the leader of a superpower.

In the past week, Trump has shown deference to North Korea and publicly demanded payment from South Korea for missile defense (which McMaster had to clean up after). What's the strategy here?

Words matter, but how do you know his words don't work? Are you 100% certain that the "good cop, bad cop" routine won't work in this situation? Historically, when has opening negotiations worked out well? How about bellicose saber rattling?

Monocle

Honored to meet a murderous dictator. Like, more honored than meeting Obama? What a sane and rational guy!

Paz

Legit question: How do you make any of Trumps insane remarks stick with people? He says more stupid shit in 24 hours than most politicians say in their entire careers.

People will have forgotten by this afternoon about this because he'll tweet something else, just like the Andrew Jackson stuff is already dying down.

Words matter, but how do you know his words don't work? Are you 100% certain that the "good cop, bad cop" routine won't work in this situation? Historically, when has opening negotiations worked out well? How about bellicose saber rattling?

Yes, I'm 100% certain that Donald Trump is not going to "good cop, bad cop" his way to disarming North Korea.

He will, however, continue to say and tweet a bunch of extraordinarily ignorant nonsense that the military and diplomats will have to work overtime to spin into something that sounds remotely reasonable.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes, I'm 100% certain that Donald Trump is not going to "good cop, bad cop" his way to disarming North Korea.

He will, however, continue to say and tweet a bunch of extraordinarily ignorant nonsense that the military and diplomats will have to work overtime to spin into something that sounds remotely reasonable.

I don't think we should rule out the possibility.

APF

Good thing we have a full, robust, competent, and experienced diplomatic corps. Oh wait.

norinrad

Kim won't be coming but Donald could visit him. It's one of those places​ where he'd probably get the red carpet treatment he wants so badly and a military display.

ChryZ

Someone probably briefed him on how hard Kim Jong Un fucks his people and Trump just wants a few pointers.

drspeedy

Legit question: How do you make any of Trumps insane remarks stick with people? He says more stupid shit in 24 hours than most politicians say in their entire careers.

People will have forgotten by this afternoon about this because he'll tweet something else, just like the Andrew Jackson stuff is already dying down.

You don't, and that's why it's his #1 tactic. Or he pulls the Ivanka trick of saying absolutely nothing specific, which lets people assume you know exactly what you're talking about (but likely don't)

I heard someone on Fox & Friends actually praise him for this behavior, called it "unprecedented openness and communication from the white house", which plays to his core supporters belief that he's the best, doing things Obama couldn't/didn't.

SilentRob

There's a very high chance he doesn't actually know who Kim Jong Un is, as I'm pretty sure he thinks that the NK leader is called "Gentleman".

The pattern is fairly obvious by now:

Truml respects you if you're a muderous authoritarian who doesn't give a fuck.

If you're an historic ally who has stood by the US for decades, you're obviously a mark, a source of 'bad deals' who needs to 'pay more'.

At this point I'd love the press to slip in to question time "Mr President what did you think of Adolf Hitler and his accomplishments?" (might as well load that question), I can guarantee it would be an interesting answer, perhaps sprinkled with some 2016 election results

Fuck Trump if he wants to go the diplomatic way.

Fuck Trump if he wants to go to war against NK.

Is there any other option?

Top Bottom