• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico relief efforts

There's no reason whatsoever to make a statement like this, especially about his own citizens, unless he's pissed off by the very fact that he has to keep paying attention to a humanitarian crisis. He's victim blaming the entire island (of course he doesn't realize U.S. policies were the reason for Puerto Rico's poor economy) as if he actively wants everyone there to die.

At what point can international courts get involved to officially declare him a criminal against humanity?

otakukidd

I know this has been floated around the last couple of years. But I'm curious if this will push pr to become a state. Like this shit can only happen cause of peoples ignorance of pr. Also wouldnt states have more recourse if the government tried to pull humanitarian aid during a crisis.

bionic77

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this problem with this?

If the "Electric and all infrastructure" was already messed up before then why would anyone expect the relief support to fix that as well? In the end it's up to Congress to decide how much will be spent to help with the support not Trump, isn't he just stating facts here?

I don't understand why people are upset over it as it seems a logical decision? I'm just going with the article though so I don't know about any other things that may be present.
He has a point.

Imagine the potential for disaster if we not only fix the situation but possibly make it better than what it was before so maybe it won't be so bad the next time this happens.

Thats clearly not the American way.

Sorry PR , no more paper rolls from president Trump.

Trump-throws-paper-towels-puerto-rico.gif

He's recalling them to pay for tax cuts and his next golf trip

4kTkLHD.gif

Gutek

I have never hated a person more. Trump is utter, vile, despicable garbage. The GOP is complicit in this atrocity. I hope they suffer for it. Fascist pigs.

Saya

When is Sarah Huckabee Sanders' press briefing? I'm sure she'll clear things up and say Trump was just joking. Like he's just joking about so many other things.

I know this has been floated around the last couple of years. But I'm curious if this will push pr to become a state. Like this shit can only happen cause of peoples ignorance of pr. Also wouldnt states have more recourse if the government tried to pull humanitarian aid during a crisis.

If you really believe this administration has any intention of making PR a state then I don't think you've been paying attention.

Just because the people of PR may want it doesn't mean it will happen.

kiyomi

Please dont

Lets not give his supporters a Martyr

I'm usually against violence (I don't even support the whole 'punch Nazis' thing), but there is literally no good from this man's existence on this planet.

OK, maybe murder is too far. Just lock the fucker up and feed him dog shit.

I'm usually against violence (I don't even support the whole 'punch Nazis' thing), but there is literally no good from this man's existence on this planet.

OK, maybe murder is too far. Just lock the fucker up and feed him dog shit.

Im hoping for lock up

Depends on how deep Trump is actually involved with misdeeds during Muellers investigation

All signs point to him being a patsy and buffoon though...

I truly believe he has no clue about the consequences of his actions. Like I don't think he's saying we should pull out of Puerto Rico and let a million people die. I think his twisted mind thinks they should fend for themselves and somehow take care of it with no actual thought in to the "how" thats even remotely possible.

Why? That cat was out the bag within weeks of his presidency when he was bragging about his verbal impact on US markets. He knows what he's doing and enjoys it. There is no hapless simpleton syndrome here. In his mind, PR has disrespected him, it's full of brown people, and it's not really America. Of course he's vindictive and cruel lol. Furthermore he's deathly afraid of anyone blaming him for the cleanup disaster in a few weeks/months.

75% of Puerto Rico was white in the 2010 census.

Trump doesn't care about you unless you're rich, related to him, or he thinks he can trick your dumb ass in to being a pawn for him. Since the majority of PR doesn't meet any of those, he's quite happy to throw them under the bus.

White yes, But they are not Anglo Saxon or Germanic descent so they Aren't White enough by Republican Standards.
Hell they are also Catholic which means they don't share Republican protestant work ethic so they are also Lazy as well as heritical.

Gotta pay for more PR stunt to NFL games so Trump can bitch about it and ratings of random shows on Twitter in between his golfing weekends.

The President in 2017, ladies and gentlemen.

GhaleonEB

I lack the adjectives to properly convey my concept for Trump. The level of callousness, the utter lack of anything resembling human empathy, is simply horrifying. The man is a monster.

jono51

Banned
I honest to god don't think Trump realizes Puerto Rico is a US territory.
Imagine being a fly on the wall when Mike drops this bombshell on Trump.

"They don't count Mike. Point out which star on the flag is Puerto Rico. Fake news."

LiK

Gotta pay for more PR stunt to NFL games so Trump can bitch about it and ratings of random shows on Twitter in between his golfing weekends.

The President in 2017, ladies and gentlemen.

I seriously don't understand how he keeps creating so much anxiety and outrage with every tweet.

Dyno

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this problem with this?

If the "Electric and all infrastructure" was already messed up before then why would anyone expect the relief support to fix that as well? In the end it's up to Congress to decide how much will be spent to help with the support not Trump, isn't he just stating facts here?

I don't understand why people are upset over it as it seems a logical decision? I'm just going with the article though so I don't know about any other things that may be present.

This is indeed pure ignorance. I've been to Puerto Rico twice. Stayed all over the island via AirB&B. Beautiful place. Always had electricity, AC, wifi and good plumbing. San Juan is a big, modern city. Good roads everywhere. In the countryside it's just like every rural setting in North America.

Trump is wrong in his description of PR and so are you if you make any judgement off what he says.

I honest to god don't think Trump realizes Puerto Rico is a US territory.

Right? I mean you can be upset about the state PR was in before the Hurricane, but they are still a part of us. It is not the citizens of PR fault, in fact they pay taxes just like all the rest of us. Houston has built properties in flood prone areas because of lack of regulation and Harvey was much more devasting because of it. Does that mean we should have adandoned Houston when they needed relief? No, of course not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...harvey-urban-planning/?utm_term=.6cb04baac7f5.

But Trump is a white supremacist and an island of people of color needing help is last in his list of things he wants to do. A white supremacist that spent a quarter of a million dollars flying Pence to a football pr stunt to further advance a white supramcist agenda instead of supporting those in Puerto Rico.

otakukidd

If you really believe this administration has any intention of making PR a state then I don't think you've been paying attention.

Just because the people of PR may want it doesn't mean it will happen.
Oh your totally right about this but it's less the Trump administration and more Congress that decides that. If Congress did deny PR statehood after the way this administration has treated them then they are playing with fire. We are already hearing about the mass exodus from PR turning states that were red last time a lot more blue.

He has never had to face consequences his entire life, so why would he think he'd suffer any now?
Consequences for other people not him. As in pull out FEMA and huge swaths of people die.
Why? That cat was out the bag within weeks of his presidency when he was bragging about his verbal impact on US markets. He knows what he's doing and enjoys it. There is no hapless simpleton syndrome here. In his mind, PR has disrespected him, it's full of brown people, and it's not really America. Of course he's vindictive and cruel lol. Furthermore he's deathly afraid of anyone blaming him for the cleanup disaster in a few weeks/months.
He knows what he “thinks” he’s doing but he’s not some evil genius where this is all calculated to exterminate Puerto Rican natives. That would require a lot of work on his part.

I don't even know what to say at this point. This is beyond frustrating, and infuriating. It seems that thoughts and prayers are the currency that the GOP have towards the island.

Condom

In any normally functioning liberal democracy this would mean having to step down. We can see the US federal gov. structure crumbling in real time, if I was a US citizen I would thank God for it being a union of states. Imagine a centralized government being like this. My God.

He's threatened actual states, this isn't shocking.

I just assume a week after he went into office someone told him PR didn't vote for him and here we are.

TheContact

Death toll up to 45. 2 desperately thirsty people died after drinking water from a creek contaminated with the carcasses of dead animals. Others are drinking from wells on hazardous wastes sites. 80 percent of island still without power.

Meanwhile our shit president is victim blaming. I hope he fucking dies of a heart attack TODAY.

RM8

I ceased being surprised about these things a long time ago, but it'll always be mind blowing to me that one in three Americans approve of this. That's one scary country.

Game-Biz

Yeah it's hard to come up with words to say. Fuck this man and anyone that supports him. Really wish that Hell exsisted sometimes...

WillyFive

He needs to be in jail, not dead. That would be counterproductive. A martyr will not not return normality and standards for the Presidency and the US government, a cautionary tale will.

Tovarisc

Death toll up to 45. 2 desperately thirsty people died after drinking water from a creek contaminated with the carcasses of dead animals. Others are drinking from wells on hazardous wastes sites. 80 percent of island still without power.

Basically even if 100% of population had pure water by tomorrow morning there will be widespread health crisis at horizon, as people have been forced to drink contaminated water for few weeks already.

Do we know how Tesla is doing with their battery initiative for PR? I know Elon promised a lot more batteries and installers for PR.

I don't understand how the Gov. needs that clarified. Its basically saying "your on your own". Trump probably still thinks Puerto Ricans are still foreigners.

A) He doesn't think Trump is being serious with that shit?

B) Giving WH door to use for backtracking that nutty twitter rant

He has Republican Puerto Rican legislators defending his actions too although the most they can do is deflect. What a piece of shit and everyone that voted for him. Hijo de puta.

How much more can America take before there's calls for violence against those in charge who are complacent with this? Just how much more can we handle?

What is the current military presence in PR? I'm really starting to wonder if he needs to pull the troops back to support potential action against North Korea.

npm0925

I ceased being surprised about these things a long time ago, but it'll always be mind blowing to me that one in three Americans approve of this. That's one scary country.
Yup. People seem to think things will go back to normal once / if Mueller disposes of Trump. This is the new normal. America’s a shithole.

Preach. I want him to go into the dark knowing what an utter failure he was. I don't actually want anyone dead ever. Life can be much worse. Especially for a man who thrives on success and lookin good.

He needs to be in jail, not dead. That would be counterproductive. A martyr will not not return normality and standards for the Presidency and the US government, a cautionary tale will.

Top Bottom