• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: US 'locked and loaded' on N Korea

I just don't see how Trump can keep saying "NK better stop fucking around or we'll destroy them" and then they keep fucking around and nothing happens. There will always be more missile tests, more nuclear programs, more provocation from NK, so what then?

So your already shaky credibility gets destroyed the next time you try to bluff Iran, Syria, China, and other adversaries.

Shoeless

I just don't see how Trump can keep saying "NK better stop fucking around or we'll destroy them" and then they keep fucking around and nothing happens. There will always be more missile tests, more nuclear programs, more provocation from NK, so what then?

So your already shaky credibility gets destroyed the next time you try to bluff Iran, Syria, China, and other adversaries.

Well, if Trump is obsessed with not appearing weak, eventually he'll have no choice but to attack. At that point, it's up to the remainder of the US government to decide whether to back him up on this.

But honestly, considering his ego, and his instance on doubling down, rather than backing away, I can't see how it's possible for him to avoid declaring war at some point. His ego demands it.

Dehnus

A newspaper that is very close to the Chinese Communist Party already hinted that in case of a US attack on NK, they will defend the nation and oppose regime change. (AKA same thing as during the Korean War, everything halted to a stale mate once China started getting involved). If however Kim attacks first, they will stay neutral.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1060791.shtml#.WY2Ph4KkoKI.twitter

It is an editorial, but it is in close ties with the Communist party, and thus wouldn't write unless instructed by or something the party allows. So basically Trump was warned not to attack first. As was Kim.

Sigh, reminds me of a Dutch Cartoon artist:
6a017d3d8326e2970c01b7c91416de970b-pi

Tjeerd Royaards :)

Cairax

Neo Member
I might stop reading OT whenever stuff like this happens to be honest. I'm not sure what benefit there is to reading a load of posts saying "We're fucked" and "OMG, it's gonna be Fallout 5".

Trump isn't insane. He's an idiot, bombastic and uses public channels for his communication, but if you actually look at what he's said, he has gone from "we will reign fire and fury down on NK if they continue to threaten us" which could be regarded as simply them posting threats on KCNA to "we are ready to react if Kim acts unwisely...hopefully he will find another path".

If you remove yourself from the childish hysteria you'll see that he's wound his rhetoric back to being essentially that if NK attack Guam, they will be destroyed, which is obviously the US' policy in general and has been since WWII.

Some people in these threads need to act like fucking adults. Stop posting inflammatory things that make people who aren't aware of the situation nervous. This is about the 100th time we've seen essentially this same thing happen with North Korea in the past couple of decades, they always do it in August and then wind it back eventually. That's why people in South Korea are carrying on their lives as normal while a load of keyboard warriors on here debate how imminent our nuclear winter is.

Edit: this isn't a defence of Trump by the way, I dislike him intensely

This is the best post I've seen on GAF all week. And it's 100% right.

People are so quick to want to post "We're so fucked" or the like over and over. I really wish each post required the poster to share their age.

I find the Ignore list on GAF pretty useful but I'd put you on my "preferred" list if such a thing existed.

Indeed.

It's growingly embarrassing to visit OT with such threads. Really, do so many here live in fear? What would they have been like in the 1960s, when real crisis' were going on... the 1970s in the height of the Cold War.. or like I did when I was growing up in the 1980s when I remember reading literature such as Protect and Survive - describing how to survive World War III.

Ignorance in abundance here - as usual whenever something major happens in the world.

At this point it is in my best interest to walk away from OT. I have been giving it a lot of thought since the start of this thread.
I come to OT GAF because it used to be [believe it or not] a place where I could trust there would be level headed discussions about current events with an appropriate amount of humor, and not the day to day fear mongering bullshit that has become common place in US media.

Take care, and take it easy OT GAF.

It's nice to see there is still some level headed people here. The hyperbole has reached critical levels. I understand there are a lot of 20-30 somethings here that haven't lived through stuff like this before, but the "holy shit, we're doomed!" sentiment is out of control.

What's going on now is just more dick waving, chest thumping political nonsense. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Try to take this stuff with a grain of salt and live your lives.

zelas

I don't think the lack of concern from South Korea should provide any comfort. The fact that they've heard it all before and are basically numb to North Korea's rhetoric doesn't mean a conflict will never happen. In the past, when NK has made their threats, there wasn't an idiot in the White House who continued to throw fuel on the problem with irresponsible tweets and language without even discussing the matter with others. We're used to having an egotistical, bombastic leader in North Korea and are not fazed by that, but the difference this time is the egotistical, bombastic guy in the White House.

They would still know better if this time is actually different than before rather than people who are immediately jumping to NUCLEAR WAR just because Trump is involved.

I'm not saying conflict will never happen. The point I am making is that Trump's rhetoric alone shouldn't be held alone up as an example that either side is hovering over a big red button. His escalation in rhetoric with other situations has not led to the worst case scenario in cases where his own administration and republicans are against him. It shouldn't even be a concern when its said that NK isn't even making judgments based on his words.

The key fact remains that our armed forces have done nothing new amidst all of this. No amount of rhetoric or combination of insane, bombastic leaders outweigh that fact. What's wrong with saving meltdowns for when somebody actually attempts to do something instead of literally nothing?

It's nice to see there is still some level headed people here. The hyperbole has reached critical levels. I understand there are a lot of 20-30 somethings here that haven't lived through stuff like this before, but the "holy shit, we're doomed!" sentiment is out of control.

What's going on now is just more dick waving, chest thumping political nonsense. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Try to take this stuff with a grain of salt and live your lives.

The problem is that people don't understand the US policy on NK, nor do they understand with any discernible degree the preconditions for launching military operations.

I try to chime in these threads with my experiences -- I was in the PACOM theatre, lived in Okinawa, have friends in Seoul, and I've served in air operations centers -- but aside from a handful of posters, there's a profound lack of comprehension.

Unless and until you have:
  • An evacaution of military dependents in the Korean peninsula, the Japanese mainland, Guam, and Okinawa; and
  • Irregular deployments of military assets (i.e., not standard and scheduled JSDF/ROK/US exercises)
... then it's nothing. It's seriously nothing. It's a proxy war on Twitter, which is the dumbest war possible.

I was just going to stay in this weekend but if its going to be the last I'm going to party like its 1999.

I cant wait to see the t shirts with "I survived the Twitter war of 2017" printed on them.

qcf x2

You are getting a war, maybe not with NK but you are getting a war with Trump in power.

Written as if we have not had wars with the previous Presidents. I wonder what happens if NK sends a test missile that intentionally misses Guam by like 100mi. They will definitely try to toe the line; if they back down from mere rhetoric then their decades old scheme is useless.

ok i ask again:
how the fuck is it possible that you tweet what you want as the president of the u.s. (aka the most powerful person in the world)?
seriously, how?

Oni Jazar

While I agree that it's not helpful to have 100s of drive by posts of "oh shit we ded!" I think there is very good reason for some anxiety. When it comes to nuclear weapons any escalation however minor is cause for concern and alarm. Trump tossing global threats without consulting both military and international advisors is flat out B-A-D.

You say it's happened before but never in the history of the US when nukes are on the table has a President in office ever been so callous on the international stage. Obama, Bush Jr, Bush Sr, Clinton, Regan, Carter, Nixon - All of them would have gone through the process of actually meeting with top advisors to come up with a worthwhile response. It's imbecilic to not consider what those words could effect internationally. Maybe not total global annihilation but certainly could be a weakening of allies, a distrust of treaties, and certainly a lack of respect.

This is awful in a lot of ways and certainly doesn't help the cause with NK. It doesn't help our cause with China. Doesn't help with Russia. It's just pathetic, hurtful and we should all talk about how unfit for office this fool is. Even if this elevates the risk of attack by 0.01% it's a needless threat to our civilization.

That's not even going into the frightful hypothetical possibility of Trump's mental state with unequivocal authority to order a nuclear strike at his whim.

Finally, it caused our stocks to tank so .. thanks Trump!

pirata

How the hell did he become president?

One party in the two-party system has made it nearly impossible for the other party in the two-party system to gain control despite having a very large numerical advantage, and the former is comprised of people who have been systematically brainwashed over 20 years controlled by sociopathic capitalists and a foreign autocrat. This government was not elected, and most Americans have no say in anything anymore.

Darkgran

Written as if we have not had wars with the previous Presidents. I wonder what happens if NK sends a test missile that intentionally misses Guam by like 100mi. They will definitely try to toe the line; if they back down from mere rhetoric then their decades old scheme is useless.

Remind me of the war Obama started.

One party in the two-party system has made it nearly impossible for the other party in the two-party system to gain control despite having a very large numerical advantage, and the former is comprised of people who have been systematically brainwashed over 20 years controlled by sociopathic capitalists and a foreign autocrat. This government was not elected, and most Americans have no say in anything anymore.

so it's basicly a capitalistic dictatorship?

RPGCrazied

And as he gets everyone nervous about going to war with his words, Donald is mingling with guests at his golf club. How is this cool? Selling his image as President at his private golf club.

Remind me of the war Obama started.

I agree with Obama on alot of domestic policies but I wasn't a fan of some foreign policies. He impacted alot of events indirectly. Libya will be unstable for a longtime. We had a red line on Syria, they will be unstable for quite awhile (then supported sending weapons to different groups in Syria). These decisions all have impacts on the migrant crisis which then impacted Europe. Afghanistan is still the same Afghanistan after 8 years. Those are some of the foreign policy decisions I disagree with. So no he didn't start any wars but there are decisions there that did influence the stability of the region.

I might stop reading OT whenever stuff like this happens to be honest. I'm not sure what benefit there is to reading a load of posts saying "We're fucked" and "OMG, it's gonna be Fallout 5".

Trump isn't insane. He's an idiot, bombastic and uses public channels for his communication, but if you actually look at what he's said, he has gone from "we will reign fire and fury down on NK if they continue to threaten us" which could be regarded as simply them posting threats on KCNA to "we are ready to react if Kim acts unwisely...hopefully he will find another path".

If you remove yourself from the childish hysteria you'll see that he's wound his rhetoric back to being essentially that if NK attack Guam, they will be destroyed, which is obviously the US' policy in general and has been since WWII.

Some people in these threads need to act like fucking adults. Stop posting inflammatory things that make people who aren't aware of the situation nervous. This is about the 100th time we've seen essentially this same thing happen with North Korea in the past couple of decades, they always do it in August and then wind it back eventually. That's why people in South Korea are carrying on their lives as normal while a load of keyboard warriors on here debate how imminent our nuclear winter is.

Edit: this isn't a defence of Trump by the way, I dislike him intensely
Great post. Although, I think this time is a bit more serious.

Dirca

The problem is that people don't understand the US policy on NK, nor do they understand with any discernible degree the preconditions for launching military operations.

I try to chime in these threads with my experiences -- I was in the PACOM theatre, lived in Okinawa, have friends in Seoul, and I've served in air operations centers -- but aside from a handful of posters, there's a profound lack of comprehension.

Unless and until you have:
  • An evacaution of military dependents in the Korean peninsula, the Japanese mainland, Guam, and Okinawa; and
  • Irregular deployments of military assets (i.e., not standard and scheduled JSDF/ROK/US exercises)
... then it's nothing. It's seriously nothing. It's a proxy war on Twitter, which is the dumbest war possible.
Thank you for your insight, experience, and most of all service. This needs to be stickied and everyone needs to read it.

Top Bottom