• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Imperium

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
One of my dream games to play is Twilight Imperium. I finally played a game last night. A group of five players, each playing for the first time. A couple of my thoughts:

1 - The game design is some of the most elegant I've seen in a board game. Especially bizarre since it's a Fantasy Flight game, which usually have mechanics that are not that fun. Here everything is fantastic.

2 - The diplomacy is extremely organic. Here is a great example. I played as the Mentak, basically space pirates. My neighbors were Hacan, which are a faction that specializes in trade. I would commit piracy every time he did trades. So I had no particular reason to invade or attack him. He certainly had reasons to attack me, but I basically had to make deals in other ways to keep him happy and essentially turn a blind eye. Amazing.

3 - The game is as long as they say. We played for 12 hours. Only 5 victory points were scored during that time. We had to stop playing because it was close to midnight. Based on our pace, we could have probably kept going for another 3 hours

4 - "Slow build up" that turns into a quick climax. For the first 10 hours, there was no fighting. Just build up, followed by a lot of posturing, bluffing and initimidating. We were trying our best to avoid combat. It was my fault the dam broke, so to speak. At the assembly, I assassinated a player's representative. He didn't like that. For the rest of the game, he decided that since he didn't think he was gonna win, he was going to make damn sure I wasn't either. He committed all of his attention to trying to invade my home system. And so I had to commit all of my resources to defend my planet. It essentially turned into an endless siege and stalemate.

With that player's forces tied up trying to sweep me off the map, HIS neighbor felt confident to act on their own plans since they knew they wouldn't be fighting a two front war. Essentially a chain reaction of war broke out.

Fbh

I only played it a couple of times and didn't really like it exactly because of that super slow build up. The whole build up and bluffing but not engaging is fun for a bit but not hours.
These days when we want to play some big space game we go with Star Wars Rebellion

jason10mm

Gold Member
One of my dream games to play is Twilight Imperium. I finally played a game last night. A group of five players, each playing for the first time. A couple of my thoughts:
Yeah, there is your problem. Someone with experience would have blitzed for Metacol Rex and started racking up VP if everyone else was content just turtling. Taking the center tends to escalate the conflict nicely :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
I only played it a couple of times and didn't really like it exactly because of that super slow build up. The whole build up and bluffing but not engaging is fun for a bit but not hours.
These days when we want to play some big space game we go with Star Wars Rebellion
There is a "skip the first few turns" advanced set up I believe, if not officially then certainly fan made ones.

Trunx81

Gold Member
I really thought this would be a thread about Stephenie Meyer ..

Took a look at some pictures of the game. Is it like Settlers of Catan in Space?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Yeah, there is your problem. Someone with experience would have blitzed for Metacol Rex and started racking up VP if everyone else was content just turtling. Taking the center tends to escalate the conflict nicely :p
You're probably right, but no one wanted to be the first to be attacked lol.

Took a look at some pictures of the game. Is it like Settlers of Catan in Space?
Other than the hex map, they're pretty different. Catan is about managing resources to build settlements.

Twilight Imperium is a lot of things. The goal is to score 10 victory points, which are earned through various objectives such as "control 3 planets that have a cultural specialty", "developed two technologies" "control a planet in another players home system".

It's not necessarily a war game, but war is certainly a part. You're mostly making deals and expanding

jason10mm

Gold Member

Ohhhh, no. It's a 4X game with diplomacy. Because you have to take turns and wait for the other players, it can take a looooonnnnnggggg time as things get complicated and plans change. You can get some really epic battles and if you can devote a day for it the experience is rarely matched by any other game. These trunks o'plastic games with stacks of minis and a negotiation/interplayer dynamic mixed with direct conflict can be harsh for some players though, as aggression, trickery, and ruthlessness are required for good play.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tell everyone to bring a secret gift under a certain price threshold. Winner of your board game night collects the bounty. Makes things more fun imo.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Always wanted to play this game, but couldn't justify paying for the price knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to have the time to play a game fully with friends. (Add the fact of trying to set up an actual night where everybody who could play would be free)

However, I'm still willing to be convinced. If you had a dedicated table to the game and were to leave it after playing it for a few hours, would it be feasible to continue the game the next day or next week even?

Additionally - I'm a huge fan of Master of Orion 2 - and I always get MOO 2 vibes whenever I see Twilight Imperium. Any similarities?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Always wanted to play this game, but couldn't justify paying for the price knowing that I probably wouldn't be able to have the time to play a game fully with friends. (Add the fact of trying to set up an actual night where everybody who could play would be free)

However, I'm still willing to be convinced. If you had a dedicated table to the game and were to leave it after playing it for a few hours, would it be feasible to continue the game the next day or next week even?

Additionally - I'm a huge fan of Master of Orion 2 - and I always get MOO 2 vibes whenever I see Twilight Imperium. Any similarities?
I've only played it once so take my opinion for what you will. But here are my thoughts.

This isn't a game you play often, nor is it a game you play in an evening. This game is an event. You play it once or twice a year. It was my birthday over the weekend so I pitched it as playing to celebrate my birthday. I told my friends to expect it to be an all day thing.

There is an audacity to TI. When you've decided to play TI, it's an "ah shit, here we go" decision. It takes a long time to set up AND dismantle. I set up most of the game the night before. I had everything sorted. And it still took a while.

If you had a dedicated table then you could probably have it saved. But it better be a damn big table because this game ain't a fucking joke. I also think the game would lose something broken up over multiple nights. The momentum, the escalation and tension. Having it split up over multiple sessions, I think it would lose some of the context.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
I've only played it once so take my opinion for what you will. But here are my thoughts.

This isn't a game you play often, nor is it a game you play in an evening. This game is an event. You play it once or twice a year. It was my birthday over the weekend so I pitched it as playing to celebrate my birthday. I told my friends to expect it to be an all day thing.

There is an audacity to TI. When you've decided to play TI, it's an "ah shit, here we go" decision. It takes a long time to set up AND dismantle. I set up most of the game the night before. I had everything sorted. And it still took a while.

If you had a dedicated table then you could probably have it saved. But it better be a damn big table because this game ain't a fucking joke. I also think the game would lose something broken up over multiple nights. The momentum, the escalation and tension. Having it split up over multiple sessions, I think it would lose some of the context.
so in short, treat it like going on a road trip with your friends for the weekend? :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:
Top Bottom