• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two men narrowly escape California fire. "We're gonna die, dude!"

I don't really get a sense of danger from this video. It is because I've never been in a wild fire before. Wouldn't they have been fine if they just stayed in the car and like parked on the concrete away from trees?

I don't really get a sense of danger from this video. It is because I've never been in a wild fire before. Wouldn't they have been fine if they just stayed in the car and like parked on the concrete away from trees?

No, and if you watch the video they even say the road itself is on fire. Roads have oil on them as well, especially when it hasn't rained on a long time.

Fires can jump significant distances as well.

Harrowing footage of survival. Not going to lie, but I could watch more of these dudes SURVIVING. Am I horrible? Just being honest.

RIP to those that didn't make it.

Big Brett

Look I'm glad they survived.

But this is some white people ass shit if ever I've seen it.

Mandatory evacuation ignored, camera on the whole time instead of "well shit maybe we should just go"

Drive-by racism in a thread about a couple dudes in an actual natural disaster. Nice. Have you ever heard of how quickly fire moves? Particularly these wildfires that are devastating entire chunks of an enormous state?

These guys are very lucky to be alive. I cannot believe the videos and images coming from these fires. Just horrific.

Brinbe

Y'all are on some ignorant ass shit making assumptions about these guys. Fires like this spread fast and without warning. It's extremely easy to get caught off guard.

That video was fucking insane though. Never want to feel that shit in my life. Being so sure of impending death.

Keri

That video was fucking insane though. Never want to feel that shit in my life. Being so sure of impending death.

Yeah, watching the video and listening to their commentary, it sounds like they had almost no way of knowing which way to go, to get away from the fire. I can't even imagine having to choose a direction to rush to, all the while just hoping that beyond the fire you're driving towards, is open space that's safe and not...more fire. They were so lucky and fortunate to be able to break through a fence at the end, that led them away.

Plum

For clarification. The issue that I have is not that they didn't hear the evacuation notice or not but the would rather hold their phone than cover and protect his mouth from the smoke.

The entire escape could have been compromised because they wanted to videotape it.

You can cover your mouth with one hand and hold a phone with the other.

Haines

Banned
My lord that is scary and one wrong move your fucked.

They will be telling that story fir a while. Sadly some people wont.

Ploid 3.0

That was so intense I caught myself holding my breath. The embers flying like rain, the lack of visibility. Movies will be inspired by this footage. I bet they will get a lot of offers for this video to show on the news.

Bulzeeb

Mandatory evacuation ignored, camera on the whole time instead of "well shit maybe we should just go"

well in the video they are questioning why they werent told to evacuate, so my guess is that the fire spread so fast that there was no time to ring the alarms or that they were somewhere with less inmediate communication.

Now, about the recording thing, if I was the passenger/co pilot role I would be recording that also, you dont need to look at the screen when recording, just hit the button, keep the phone camara facing anywere and just keep doing whatever I was doing on there, if things get complicated just put the phone in your pocket.

mcfrank

40 people have died. They were not all idiots who ignored evacuation warnings. This shit moved unexpectedly fast and went through the city.

For clarification. The issue that I have is not that they didn't hear the evacuation notice or not but the would rather hold their phone than cover and protect his mouth from the smoke.

The entire escape could have been compromised because they wanted to videotape it.

I’ll try to track them down so they can apologize to you and anyone else who may have issues with the way they handled almost dying.

kaiju

Y'all are on some ignorant ass shit making assumptions about these guys. Fires like this spread fast and without warning. It's extremely easy to get caught off guard.

Yeah fire can spread fast especially since the winds in this area were insane. It was a perfect match for a firestorm.

For reference, here is a video of a guy driving out of the suburbs. You can tell many didn't have much of a warning.

These two guys were in a rural area surrounded by trees and brush.

Amazing footage. Glad they are safe. I still can't comprehend how quick wildfire spreads. It's something I've never seen in real life and even house fires or building fires here are pretty contained.

Are you really making the claim that only white people ignore mandatory evacuations for natural disasters?

ThisGuy

Whew, it sucks when you post something unfavorable. I just came out of it. Hang tight lmao.

Glad they filmed it, first time I've seen something like that. It makes sense, yet I never thought about it, when the one person stated their hands burned when they stepped out. Glad they made it out, wild story.

Jintor

There is an inferno surrounding them.

That doesn't happen in an instant.

I agree, I don't know all the details. But I also refuse to believe they were completely ignorant to the oncoming fire.

my dude infernos absolutely happen in an instant

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This reminds me of similar footage form a few years ago, might have been worst in that one, can't find it.

'Cause only white people do stupid things...

Yup.

Get out of here with this shit.

And as already said many times in this thread, fires can happen and spread extremely fast. Before you know it, it's upon you.

CHC

This is just shit.

Edit: OK, banned. I see. Thank you.

quickwhips

Racism is alive in well like we didn’t know with president we have in office.

Jesus.

This is like one of the most reasonable times to have a camera on, given nigh everyone carries one. The person recording was a passenger and couldn't do anything to aid in getting to safety, and worst comes to worst, they have a black box of their last moments showing what happened.

Pesmerga00

Racism.

People not knowing how fire works.(yes it can happen in an instant).

Insulting their intelligence.

Confusing dogs for children.

Not knowing people need oxygen to breath.

Can people take 5 seconds to read? Some posts in this thread are unbelievable.

Had almost an exact, exact experience in 2008 when my roommate and I had our place burned to the ground. We were on the tip of the fire, no evacs were called and zero firefighters were nearby. 9AM in the morning and it looked like midnight outside. 60 foot flames moved a quarter of a mile in a couple of minutes and we had to run to our car, get in and drive out on single lane roads with flames 60 ft high, less than 10ft from us. Same kind of thing here, embers flying everywhere in the air.

Fire is scary.

besada

Banned

I agree, I don't know all the details. But I also refuse to believe they were completely ignorant to the oncoming fire.

Wildfires are fast. In some cases, they move faster than people can run. Let's see less victim blaming in here.

geeko

It can and did happen in an instant.

This fire had a perfect combination of events that led to this distaster. First, we had a really wet winter that grew a ton of extra brush. Next we had very hot and dry end of summer which dried out all the new brush. Last, the night the fire started winds were blowing 50-80 mph, fanning the flames. It moved so fast and in the middle of the night that people had no time to react till it was too late. It’s just depressing. Too many people perished or lost their homes.

Example of how fast things can move:

https://youtu.be/zvPa_yEEd4E

Dishwalla

Banned
"We're gonna die dude!" is a very Californian thing to say, only thing that would make it more Californian is adding a "hella" in there.

Jesus, I'm a fire science major and we just spent part of the week discussing a wildfire where many deaths were the result of people being trapped in their cars, just like these guys. They're incredibly lucky.

Barren Mind

One of the biggest issues with wildfires is the air quality. Had they waited in the car they would have suffocated.

redfox088

Banned

I’m sorry this made me choke on my drink...glad they’re apparently ok though.

Nether!

Wow, this looked very close to being a video of two people being killed.
This must have been terrifying for them. The panic of not being able to see or breathe. Smoke and fire all around them.
I'm glad they recorded this. Not sure how doing this hurt their chances for survival or why people think it shows they're idiots. They managed to escape and capture some amazing footage of them avoiding death.

Trump will probably tweet about how this is how real Americans deal with a natural disaster.

Oh how I wish we were back in a time when that was a joke.

CHC

Wtf.

Can wildfires induce strong winds? Because the beginning was crazy hearing the wind outside.

Edit: wiki says yes

Big time, they burn air and blast heat upwards, which sucks in tons of fresh, cool air from nearby.

This, basically:

firestorm.png

they are very lucky the car didn't stall or go into limp mode with the heat and lack of oxygen and smoke. They would have been goners if they hit something and got stuck.

Top Bottom