• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.K. Cops Arrest 6 Teens Linked to Sony, Microsoft Cyber-Attacks

flkraven

British law-enforcement officials have arrested six male teenagers suspected of being members of the Lizard Squad hacking crew that disabled Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s Xbox Live last year.

The U.K.’s National Crime Agency, the equivalent to the U.S.’s Federal Bureau of Investigation, said the suspects used a tool to launch distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks to cripple online servers of “gaming companies” as well as e-retailers, a national British newspaper and a school. The NCA did not identify the targeted companies but reports said the arrests are related to several attacks on the PlayStation and Xbox networks last year. Amazon also was among the sites attacked by the group, Bloomberg reported.

Source: Variety

Sweet sweet justice. I love when these guys that think they are invincible get caught.

The warrants executed this week included:
A 17 year-old male from Manchester had computer equipment seized and was interviewed under caution by the NCA’s National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU) on 27 August.
A 18 year-old-male from Huddersfield arrested and bailed on 27 August by Yorkshire and Humberside police.
A 18 year-old-male from Milton Keynes interviewed under caution by the South East ROCU on 26 August.
A 18 year-old male from Manchester arrested and bailed by North West ROCU and Greater Manchester Police on 26 August.
A 16 year-old male from Northampton arrested and bailed by East Midlands ROCU on 26 August.
A 15 year-old male from Stockport arrested by the North West ROCU and Greater Manchester Police on 24 August.

Two other suspected users of Lizard Stresser were arrested earlier this year:
A 17 year-old male from Cardiff arrested and bailed by South Wales ROCU and NCCU on 16 April.
A 17 year-old male from Northolt arrested and bailed by the Metropolitan Police on 03 March.

Officers are also visiting approximately 50 addresses linked to individuals registered on the Lizard Stresser website, but who are not currently believed to have carried out attacks.

A third of the individuals identified are under the age of 20, and the activity forms part of the NCA’s wider work to address younger people at risk of entering into serious forms of cyber crime.

liquidtmd

Banned
giphy.gif

They will cry like little girls. Jesus, the oldest are 18?

flkraven

Just read this in the comments:

Sony I am waiting for my money your company and people connected to it been illegally stalking me for years and using me to make productions with no contract, consent or agreement

A written apology and financial recompense would be acceptable.

Completely unrelated but lol, wtf?

Arttemis

I'm really curious to know how many of them were on some kind of parole or internet restriction from previous crimes. The last two were, and it did absolutely nothing to prevent them from continuing their illegal activities and putting other people's lives in danger.

SeanTSC

In before people asking them to be locked up for life for messing with their gaming time lol.

Not in before people thinking that these guys, who also all participated in SWATing and possibly Bomb Threats against Planes, shouldn't be locked up in prison.

In before people asking them to be locked up for life for messing with their gaming time lol.

Let's lock 'em up for life!

Seriously though. These threads are difficult because the American sense of justice is synonymous with assigning punishment. I'll admit that even though I hate the American prison system and fully and wholly acknowledge that rehabilitation is immeasurably better for society, my desire to see "justice served" is too intense to ignore. And I've never even been personally affected by the actions of these kids.

Which isn't to say I want them to see life in prison. But I crave "justice."

Makes me wonder and worry about myself, and the social constructs I try to be conscious of.

eso76

I read that as:
Police arrests teens linked to Sony.
Microsoft cyber attacks.

As in, unleashes cyber attack. For some reason.

Trevelyon

Not in before people thinking that these guys, who also all participated in SWATing and possibly Bomb Threats against Planes, shouldn't be locked up in prison.

B-bu-but they're cherub cheeked baby boys who were just a little naughty once. So what if they messed with PSN, it would've been down anyways.

The 15,16,17 year olds won't get tried as an adult so their sentences might be short or just a warning :/ smh they should be tried as adults

MouldyK

I think we should eat them.

On July 23, 1988, Rick Gibson ate the flesh of another person in public. Because England does not have a specific law against cannibalism, he legally ate a canapé of donated human tonsils in Walthamstow High Street, London.[153][154] A year later, on April 15, 1989, he publicly ate a slice of human testicle in Lewisham High Street, London.[155][156] When he tried to eat another slice of human testicle at the Pitt International Galleries in Vancouver on July 14, 1989, the Vancouver police confiscated the testicle hors d'œuvre.[157] However, the charge of publicly exhibiting a disgusting object was dropped and he finally ate the piece of human testicle on the steps of the Vancouver court house on September 22, 1989.[158]

Well, it seems legal!

1274779903_glen-big-baby-davis-tongue.gif

Glad your in the minority in this country

I should have made it clear that I was being sarcastic.

flkraven

Yeah, never mind their more serious crimes eh? But no reason to mention those as it doesn't make for a "witty" comment.

Heck, other crimes don't even need to be mentioned. When a group of kids repeatedly takes down the online infrastructure of some of the biggest corporation on earth, they should absolutely be punished. It doesn't make it any less serious because it has to do with video games.

Taker34

Banned
They should be sentenced to play Knack for one year on hard difficulty. Scumbags. I know this is quite extreme but so am I.

liquidtmd

Banned
They should be sentenced to play Knack for one year on hard difficulty. Scumbags. I know this is quite extreme but so am I.

So THATS why there's so many nutters in the Plus thread continually demanding Knack is the next free game.

They're actually looking to instigate a revolution in free judiciary punishment. They played us like a damn fiddle.

entremet

Oh they should be charged with the fullest extent of the law in their jurisdictions.

But they are minors and I vaguely remember people asking for crazy sentences in a previous thread.

th4tguy

Oh they should be charged with the fullest extent of the law in their jurisdictions.

But they are minors and I vaguely remember people asking for crazy sentences in a previous thread.

Not all are minors and some are 16-17 which means in a lot of areas, depending upon the severity of the crime, can be charged as adults. I don't know if this will warrant that type of charge, just how it is.

SeanTSC

Define "crazy". They SWATed people in the US and given the state of the Police in the US that is basically Attempted Murder. I think it's entirely reasonable for them to be extradited to the US and charged as such if you have *any* idea of how fucked up the Police are right now and how insanely dangerous SWATing someone in the US is.

Then there's the retardation of calling in a Bomb Threat on a Plane and grounding a flight, which is not just a mere prank or joke, that's incredibly serious shit.

Percy

Banned
All kids. What a complete non-surprise.

Hope the punishment is good and harsh, but knowing the nanny state, they'll probably just be told off and sent home with their mums to be grounded for a week.

Good. Fuck those kids.

Jimmy Saville, is that you?

LifEndz

Kudos to all the law enforcement officials that helped bring these guys into custody. Wondering if this will serve as a deterrent to other would be lizard squad copy cats.

NahaNago

Let's lock 'em up for life!

Seriously though. These threads are difficult because the American sense of justice is synonymous with assigning punishment. I'll admit that even though I hate the American prison system and fully and wholly acknowledge that rehabilitation is immeasurably better for society, my desire to see "justice served" is too intense to ignore. And I've never even been personally affected by the actions of these kids.

Which isn't to say I want them to see life in prison. But I crave "justice."

Makes me wonder and worry about myself, and the social constructs I try to be conscious of.

I think wanting to see someone punished for doing something wrong is a fairly normal reaction. Rehabilitation is fine as well its just before you do the rehabilitating there should be some punishment before that in my opinion.

Lock them in a room for five years where they're forced to download, install and update GT6 all day long while watching progress bars fill, with a few breaks where they're allowed to try to browse the store from a PS3.

They'll be husks when they get out.

Top Bottom