• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.K. Cops Arrest 6 Teens Linked to Sony, Microsoft Cyber-Attacks

In before people asking them to be locked up for life for messing with their gaming time lol.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I believe you're equally in the wrong for what seems to be trivializing this. This is a serious crime. It doesn't matter if it was video games. People asking for life sentences and people piling on those people because "LOLVIDEOGAMES" are both in the wrong.

fred

You would have thought that people geeky enough to hack into various organisations and stuff would be clever enough to cover their tracks and not get caught. If I was going to do anything like this I'd be proxied up to the eyeballs.

EulaCapra

On one hand, good news. On the other hand....I wish I was as tech-smart as they were at their age (before the getting-caught-part).

Sjefen

pitchforks.gif

I hope they can squeeze out the reason for these cyberattacks

Dr.Acula

Banned
If the punishment for doing stuff like this isn't harsh stuff like this will continue to happen. Glad they got caught though...

Just like how the US eliminated marijuana use through harsh penalties!

edit: That was harsh itself, I just mean I don't think stiffer sentencing is actually a deterrent for crimes like DDoSing.

Crazy, just a bunch of kids doing some stupid shit.

They'll probably get more time than rapists, burglars, stalkers, racially aggravated assaults etc, which cause actual emotional damage.

Who gives a shit if they fuck around with some multinational corporations. Don't worry that top 1% will ensure they eat shit for messing with the status quo.

GRaider81

They'll probably get more time than rapists, burglars, stalkers, racially aggravated assaults etc, which cause actual emotional damage.

Who gives a shit if they fuck around with some multinational corporations. Don't worry that top 1% will ensure they eat shit for messing with the status quo.

yeah causing a bomb scare on a plane is just some stupid shit to be fair.

SeanTSC

You don't think SWATing causes emotional damage? It has traumatized people severely and put them in real, life-threatening danger. These little criminals didn't "just" cause some corporations millions of dollars in damage. They SWATed, they called in Bomb Threats on Planes and grounded them, they cyber-stalked and harassed people in pretty heinous ways, etc.

Lizard Square was not "just a bunch of kids doing some stupid shit". They were actively out hurting people.

Just like how the US eliminated marijuana use through harsh penalties!

edit: That was harsh itself, I just mean I don't think stiffer sentencing is actually a deterrent for crimes like DDoSing.

I hear you. I'm assuming they'll be on some form of probation with the promise to not be allowed to use anything with online capabilities. I've seen similar activities with a similar punishment so I'm hoping things are different here.

You don't think SWATing causes emotional damage? It has traumatized people severely and put them in real, life-threatening danger. These little criminals didn't "just" cause some corporations millions of dollars in damage. They SWATed, they called in Bomb Threats on Planes and grounded them, they cyber-stalked and harassed people in pretty heinous ways, etc.

Lizard Square was not "just a bunch of kids doing some stupid shit". They were actively out hurting people.

Fair enough; I obviously don't know enough about this - swating and bomb threats are horrible.

They can do some time then.

None of these individuals are believed to be part of Lizard Squad or were part of the Christmas DDOS campaign. They're kids who were caught buying DDOS software and targetted a few small online sites. Criminal masterminds they are not.

Apart from those facts carry on with your emotional crusade.

SeanTSC

None of these individuals are believed to be part of Lizard Squad or were part of the Christmas DDOS campaign. They're kids who were caught buying DDOS software and targetted a few small online sites. Criminal masterminds they are not.

Uh, right from the first post:

British law-enforcement officials have arrested six male teenagers suspected of being members of the Lizard Squad hacking crew that disabled Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s Xbox Live last year.

dose

They targeted a national newspaper. 'A few small online sites'?

tsunam1

Neo Member
LOL right as they were about celebrate their anniversary with a big event. Suddenly they went quiet. I guess this was the big event but they didnt expect it.

Not in before people thinking that these guys, who also all participated in SWATing and possibly Bomb Threats against Planes, shouldn't be locked up in prison.

especially after not only harassing SOE's former president, but bomb threatening his plane and allegedly destroying his dead dad's gravestone.

Hissing Sid

No more slapped wrists, please. :)

Are you shitting me? This is the UK we're talking about. They'll each be given a mountain bike, a pamphlet on self esteem and a helping hand getting a secure job with a local employer. Cos like, by helping them we help ourselves.... Or summats.

It's a a shame Britain doesn't hang people any more. Am I doing it right?

In all seriousness though, glad these people were caught. They shouldn't be allowed to have Internet connections again for a long time after release. That's what they do to some paedophiles here. I'm not comparing them to perverts, but the powers are there to stop them if we are serious about this.

So these people are not lizard squad members. They just tried to use the ddos service that lizard squad launched on the back of the Christmas day attack.

Alo0oy

Banned
In before people asking them to be locked up for life for messing with their gaming time lol.

Their crimes weren't just DDOS attacks, you forgot the bomb threats on Sony employees? Blackmailing women on twitter to pose nude if they want PSN to be back on?

Their DDOS attacks should be enough to lock them up anyway, since they disabled a service people paid for, is it okay for someone to turn off the electricity connectors to your house? Or disrupt doctors from treating you? Same thing here.

Being dismissive about these things does not make you look "cool", it only makes you look stupid, no offense.

DrkSage

" x year old teen arrested..."
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

"... And bailed"
gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

Thats ok. I just hope they never have access to a computer ever again.

Haunted

I hope they can squeeze out the reason for these cyberattacks
It's quite easy to imagine the reasons.

boredom (cry for attention)

opportunity (testing their limits)

bragging rights (enhancing their standing within their social clique)

I have no clue what the UK justice system is like but man.. If these young adults gets thrown in with the more hardcore criminals... yeesh...

I have no clue what the UK justice system is like but man.. If these young adults gets thrown in with the more hardcore criminals... yeesh...

I'd like to think they have lines of separation for non-violent criminals. Because, yeah, you are right. These kids are pieces-o-shit, but they could potentially become much worse and not learn the right lessons if they are left with more intense and violent criminals. Anyone from the UK able to chime in?

McHuj

Jail isn't worth it, but make them payback all the money that was lost due to their bullshit.

It's gotta be in the millions of dollars, they'd be paying for their crimes for a very long time.

Top Bottom