• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber might lose license in London if TFL decide not to renew (Up: not renewed)

There's ignorance on my part as I haven't heard about any of this hand-washing, failing to follow up reports etc so I completely agree on holding Uber accountable for that. Not letting them operate though is going to fuck over a lot of people and it will shift power back in the hands of the out-dated, mafiaesque black cabs.

Just for a bit of extra context - Uber will continue for the foreseeable, so we're not yet going to hit that situation. Although the license is up on the 30th, they will be allowed to operate through any appeal process. Uber have said they will appeal, so this will take months and months and months before we get a result. Will Uber make small changes as part of this, will the court agree with TfL, etc etc.

giphy.gif

Cpt Lmao

Black cabs are held to a far higher standard & cost-of-work than Uber or mini-cab & limo firms.

At least 2 years doing The Knowledge for starters.

Then why do Uber offer such a better service?

I mean, there's a lot of talk here about Uber not living up to certain standards, but which standards? Uber is far superior and favoured amongst younger generations. So what's going on?

I mean, there's a lot of talk here about Uber not living up to certain standards, but which standards? Uber is far superior and favoured amongst younger generations. So what's going on?

Do they? Use Gett in London, pretty much the same but for black cabs. Apart from the fact Black Cab drivers are faaaaaaaaaar more knowledgable about London's roads than Uber drivers.

The reason so many young people use Uber is the ease of use (open app, get taxi, done), cheap fares (unsustainable), and generous referrals (get a friend to join, free ride - don't know if they're still doing it.) I mean, it's just so damned easy, especially if you're travelling and have never been to that city before. You know how Uber works, and it's the same everywhere, you can see your route and your destination and get a locked fare.

The only downside of something like Gett for black cabs in London - you have to know it exists in preparation for your visit, set it up, etc. Uber just win's by default, and there's not really any other pan-global Taxi company service for single-app multi-firm experiences.

Newline

A better service? Do you mean in cheapness and availability? Thats exactly due to them not adhering to the regulations and standards set by TFL. They don't register their drivers as employees and enjoy the lack of responsibility that offers them. If anything goes wrong it's not ubers fault, the driver is an independent worker.

They offer an easier service. Doesn't make it better.

Black Cabs have been updating to use apps now. If that was available I would use that. Also a lot of cab firms offer cheaper rates if you book in advance.

A better service? Do you mean in cheapness and availability? Thats exactly due to them not adhering to the regulations and standards set by TFL.

And cleanliness, and politeness, and knowledge of the roads, and basic driving skills, and they won't constantly try to rip you off, and if they make an inappropriate comment or action Uber will take action rather than "Ok we'll look into it" and nothing comes of it. Drivers care about being good because if they're shit they get a low rating meaning less fares and eventually kicked off. They HAVE to be good if they want to keep earning money. Taxis don't give a fuck.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ok now London has done this, i'm better another big city elsewhere will do the same.
NYC Next maybe?

There are sat navs now. This is redundant.

Not redundant - black cab drivers will still now the best routes to take at most times of day - especially in central London, to avoid congestion.

(Yes, Sat Nav's have traffic maps - good luck everyone using the same damned sat nav's being sent down the same roads to avoid congestion - black cabbies 9/10 will get you there faster, without having to look at a map whilst they're driving, and can change destinations on the fly without reprogramming shit)

Izuna

Banned
Let's pause for a moment to mourn the death of your reputation as a decent human being.

I do apologise if I offended anyone, but I had far too many run instructions with sillyness taking the bus home after 1am (because that's what you do as a waiter), that I'd rather walk the 1.5 hours home or take an Uber.

Not limited to the occasional prick walking on the bus without paying then having a 20 minute argument at the bus stop about how he ain't getting off because he has to get home.

Wow, that sucks. Taxis need to just hurry up and die.

No they don't unless things like Uber gets its shit into gear.

In my country taxi drivers have to be properly qualified, they receive things such as first aid training, they have to undergo medical examinations (mental and physical), etc before they are even allowed to take the training as a taxi driver. Plus taxi operators require a "Betriebsarzt" which is person(s) with medical qualifications involved in the operating of the business concerning overseeing and advising the security and health of drivers and customers.

Uber doesn't do any of this which is why they are not allowed to operate at all in Germany. Uber purposefully fails to fucking report crimes of their drivers alone.

Lets not even get into workers' rights concerning Uber and taxi operators and the regulations by the government they must abide by. Uber does what it does because it's a shit company that evades responsibility.

Edit: Nor does Uber facilitate people with disabilities.

I do apologise if I offended anyone, but I had far too many run instructions with sillyness taking the bus home after 1am (because that's what you do as a waiter), that I'd rather walk the 1.5 hours home or take an Uber.

Not limited to the occasional prick walking on the bus without paying then having a 20 minute argument at the bus stop about how he ain't getting off because he has to get home.

Though you're right. Let's not pretend London transport is perfectly safe at those times in the morning. It's horrible.

Auraela

Banned
What about safety? Uber is favoured amongst women my age.

Do those women know the car they are getting into is basically a strangers car with no background check.

Hailing a black cab everyone knows they are background checked and various other things.

What is it ur told as a child never talk to strangers or get in strangers cars.

why do that with uber ?

Zemm

What about safety? Uber is favoured amongst women my age.

I literally don't believe you and think you're making shit up. Apologies if you come back with some actual good resources though that suggest women feel safer in a car with no background checks done on the driver.

MaximL

Not redundant - black cab drivers will still now the best routes to take at most times of day - especially in central London, to avoid congestion.

(Yes, Sat Nav's have traffic maps - good luck everyone using the same damned sat nav's being sent down the same roads to avoid congestion - black cabbies 9/10 will get you there faster, without having to look at a map whilst they're driving, and can change destinations on the fly without reprogramming shit)

Google has more than just traffic maps. It's takes in thousands of streams of live data to calculate traffic and creating routing descions. This is far beyond a humans acedotal knowledge of the area. I used to use google maps every day on my commute despite knowing the way, since it knew exactly where had congestion that particular day. Google Maps > Some cabbie.

Izuna

Banned
Do those women know the car they are getting into is basically a strangers car with no background check.

Hailing a black cab everyone knows they are background checked and various other things.

What is it ur told as a chold never talk to strangers or get in strangers cars.

why do that with uber ?

This is exactly what I am talking about.

You think these brown drivers are inherently Sketchy just because they didn't pay 40k to take someone a to b?

If you have any issues, I clouding harassment, you got all the records right there on your phone.

Hazzuh

Can all the people saying this decision is "ridiculous" explain what is wrong or unreasonable about TFL's explanation?

Jezbollah

It'd be much harder for a union to lobby against a corp that ticks all the right boxes. In my view it can't really be seen as an anti competitive play when the corp in question isn't adhering to the rules laid out to them.

Yep I agree to an extent. I still think that the Taxi unions would lobby regardless though. Uber have not helped themselves in giving them a reason to go after themselves. I strongly suspect we'll see them change their ways to tick those boxes during the time the appeal process runs.

Any organisation that threatens the well being, job security and wages of (a) union member(s) will always be the target of the unions - its what they exist for.

Koriandrr

Fuck Uber, shocking business practices. It's not like Addison Lee don't do almost the same thing anyway.

London isn't just black cabs.

Are you kidding me?!

AL does it for 2x the price, is unreliable and the prices in the middle of the fucking night go 5x, which is when you need it most, really. I use AL for work all the time and honestly their drivers have fucked up so many times, I've never had bad experience with Uber.

And cleanliness, and politeness, and knowledge of the roads, and basic driving skills, and they won't constantly try to rip you off, and if they make an inappropriate comment or action Uber will take action rather than "Ok we'll look into it" and nothing comes of it. Drivers care about being good because if they're shit they get a low rating meaning less fares and eventually kicked off. They HAVE to be good if they want to keep earning money. Taxis don't give a fuck.

Won't comment on the first two as that's down to personal experience, the rest you have got to be taking the piss.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I genuinely do not know the answer to this, but isn't Uber meant to provide a much safer service? Can someone explain to me why Black Cabs aren't held to Uber's standard?

Uber have zero safety standards or background checks.

Black cabs do.

Are you living in opposite world?

Top Bottom