• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ubi-Conf] Watch_Dogs Announced (Video/screens added) [Up: Xbox 360/PS3/PC]

Goldrusher

Because they showed the PC version to make the game look good? That's hardly a hint for next gen.
No, because Guillemot has said "new consoles are long overdue", "it's better to launch a new IP on a new generation" and that they're already "developing games for next-gen".

Connect the dots.

Yeah, that plus the various peds animations that were far too perfect and contextual.
I bet that whole demo was just a giant scripted vertical slice (like most E3 demos are, anyway) and i hope they won't pull an AC1 with this: Amazing E3 demo (with a lot of smoke and mirrors), shitty shallow game.

you.... you.... I don't want to.... assassins creed 1 was amazing :'(

MNC

Has there ever been a big non-massive multiplayer online game where a player could create an actual objective? It seems so simple... Multiple players... Set a target to be killed/abducted in an FPS or action game or whatever, set a reward, 'publish' side mission, wait for it to be finished and pay for the kill.

Durante

I'm 99% certain this is a cross-generational game.

Major developers (sadly!) are not in the habit of building assets of that quality exclusively for the PC version.

zoukka

I'm 99% certain this is a cross-generational game.

Major developers (sadly!) are not in the habit of building assets of that quality exclusively for the PC version.

It's not about habits but potential sales and audience. Which atm doesn't exist for those kind of projects.

Has there ever been a big non-massive multiplayer online game where a player could create an actual objective? It seems so simple... Multiple players... Set a target to be killed/abducted in an FPS or action game or whatever, set a reward, 'publish' side mission, wait for it to be finished and pay for the kill.

Hitman: Absolution Contracts mode pretty much does this already. I'd love to see a feature like this in ALL open world games. It would expand on the replay-ability ten fold.

I doubt this will be a launch title. Just because it's one of the first next-gen games shown doesn't mean it'll be at launch. I think it will be out within the first six months to a year. My best estimate would be Fall 2014.

It's not about habits but potential sales and audience. Which atm doesn't exist for those kind of projects.

If you can be a next gen launch title.
Big chance that maybe 50% of the early adapters will get the game on that system.

How much did the 360 and ps3 sold year one five to ten million consoles?
Early adapters will mostly be gamers i think and the hype this game generated last E3 was big.
If they can keep that up for next E3 big chance Watch Dogs will be on those buyers list.

Jac_Solar

I'm somewhat skeptical of this game, despite all the hype surrounding it.

Developers have already made it clear how much content (Approximately.) that is possible to add to a game, regardless of team-size and funds, and since this is a game that requires an unprecedented amount of content to work like the game they are pitching, and for the dynamic scenarios to work like they are implying, I'm wondering if it's possible.

*Especially* at the graphical level this game is supposed to work at.

It will most likely work like a typical open world game, but with slightly different gadgets and gimmicks.

UrbanRats

I'm somewhat skeptical of this game, despite all the hype surrounding it.

Developers have already made it clear how much content (Approximately.) that is possible to add to a game, regardless of team-size and funds, and since this is a game that requires an unprecedented amount of content to work like the game they are pitching, and for the dynamic scenarios to work like they are implying, I'm wondering if it's possible.

*Especially* at the graphical level this game is supposed to work at.

It will most likely work like a typical open world game, but with slightly different gadgets and gimmicks.

If you've been following gaming for some time like i assume most people on GAf have, you know most of these things are PR hyperbole bullshit.
If they say you can do 4, but seem to imply you can do 6, you usually end up doing 2.

EDIT: This applies to more people than Molyneux:
ucda.gif

Jac_Solar

If you've been following gaming for some time like i assume most people on GAf have, you know most of these things are PR hyperbole bullshit.
If they say you can do 4, but seem to imply you can do 6, you usually end up doing 2.

ucda.gif

Haha that image is so funny. But it's true -- but why do they continue to do this? It'd be understandable if it was a one time thing by an unknown studio to try and get high sales for one specific game, but every single studio does this, regardless of how long they intend to stay in the business.

When they promise certain things, but fail to deliver, they will get lower reviews and disappoint players. Wouldn't it be better to undersell it, so people are surprised?

UrbanRats

Haha that image is so funny. But it's true -- but why do they continue to do this? It'd be understandable if it was a one time thing by an unknown studio to try and get high sales for one specific game, but every single studio does this, regardless of how long they intend to stay in the business.

When they promise certain things, but fail to deliver, they will get lower reviews and disappoint players. Wouldn't it be better to undersell it, so people are surprised?
Reviews are usually pretty high and it seems to me people buy into the hype pretty easily.
I guess when you spend 70+ millions on a single project, you use every trink in the book to sell it, and i wouldn't expect otherwise, but as more experienced gamer you get to read between the lines.
That is not to say that you can't get excited or hyped for a game, of course.

Jac_Solar

Reviews are usually pretty high and it seems to me people buy into the hype pretty easily.
I guess when you spend 70+ millions on a single project, you use every trink in the book to sell it, and i wouldn't expect otherwise, but as more experienced gamer you get to read between the lines.
That is not to say that you can't get excited or hyped for a game, of course.

I didn't consider the limits of software or games until I had played *a lot* of different games -- and I don't think the people who don't game a lot, or take games as seriously, know about, or even consider the limits in terms of content and so forth.

Especially not when all publishers and developers imply, or even directly promise stuff that supports their assumptions. I think people just chalk the lack of those things in the actual games up to either budget, lack of time or inexperience, and continue to dream about vast, vivid worlds with few limits.

I think the majority of people know that there are tons and tons of games out there, and that the content-limit in some games don't necessarily apply to other games.

But the fact is, there is indeed an approximate limit to the amount of content or stuff that is possible to add to a game.

MMORPG's are much bigger than single player games because of the constant revenue stream, and constant updates. Not to mention that most of them have lots of procedurally generated content, and are very, very barren, and the majority of quests are extremely basic -- but gets away with it cause of the player-to-player interaction and experience.

Every game with a world over 20ish square miles tend to have lots of procedurally generated content as well, such as the Just Cause series (Exploration is kind of boring since there is little to no variation.)

Daante

ucda.gif

rofl hahhahaaaa this is why i love GAF

I was just thinking about this today, the main character reminds me a lot of Amon Tobin (SC:CT, Infamous OST, etc.). And yes, Im a big Amon Tobin fan and hope he does the soundtrack, I think he would fit perfectly.

Amon+Tobin+AT.jpg

amonfisher2_012105_1106259695.jpg

Top Bottom