• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

Patch13

Not sure why people are comparing this to Sea of Thieves at all.

Sea of Thieves is a sandbox multiplayer game with a big focus on working together to sail a ship or to find treasure. It's Puzzle Pirates, but with action adventure mechanics rather than puzzle mechanics.

Skull and Bones looks like a more traditional naval combat game, where each player is in control of a ship. It looks like another take on the sailing part of Sid Meier's pirates, though there's probably more mechanical depth to it, since the sailing appears to be a focus.

If I were going through a heavy pirates phase, I might get both, because Yarr! Pirate games! But other than the theme, they're not really competing with each other at all. If it works as a game, Sea of Thieves is potentially a system seller (I'm tempted to actually boot Windows to play it). Skull and Bones, otoh, looks like a perfectly competent pirate game that will slot nicely alongside the other perfectly competent pirate games that occasionally come out. Sea of Thieves is potentially a legit reason to own and Xbox, or upgrade to Windows 10; unless I'm missing something, Skull and Bones simply isn't.

For those wondering how this is different, this is essentially MMo black flag. The player controls all aspects of their ship by themselves. You upgrade your ship and team up with other players. They do not appear to be on your ship as that is all handled by NPCs.

SoT is completely different. Your teammates help control the ship. They man the guns, the move the sails, they patch holes and etc. you really can't do a ship battle by yourself in sot because you can't turn the boat when you are manning the weapons.

Realyn

Sea of Thieves, bit of comedy look: E3 2015 and E3 2016, delayed to "early 2018"

Skull and Bones, realistic looking like AC on multi, fall 2018

Now, nobody can realistically say they are the same or they aren't - we haven't played it. But first look matters a lot. Ever heard of Overwatch vs Battleborn? One was destined to fail, however great the game was.

Going back to SoT, as I mentioned it has been shown three times at an E3 already. Might be 4 before it releases, maybe. That together with a cartoonish is easily enough for the masses to go "well, whatever".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Woah, enormous sea monster tease

1odgkgV.png

Well you might be in luck...

Holy shit .. That outline is *HUGE*. It's like the Pirates of the Carribean kraken times 20.

Theorry

For those wondering how this is different, this is essentially MMo black flag. The player controls all aspects of their ship by themselves. You upgrade your ship and team up with other players. They do not appear to be on your ship as that is all handled by NPCs.

SoT is completely different. Your teammates help control the ship. They man the guns, the move the sails, they patch holes and etc. you really can't do a ship battle by yourself in sot because you can't turn the boat when you are manning the weapons.

And you can go off land with a whole quest system.

Bizzquik

My hype hasn't swung so widely in such a short period in a long time.

Excited for "Black Flag 2: No Assassin's"....and then realized its just a multiplayer ship shooter. LoL

"10/10 Moment of E3"
to "6/10 What?"

Rua

Would've been interested if you could control characters rather than just ships. When they said play with your friends I was picturing one ship with one person steering, another manning cannons, etc.

Yeah this will get old fast. Black Flag was great because it didnt get repetitive. SoT has more varied content that includes going onto land and searching for treasure, as well as boarding another boat and such.

This could get old and fast.

Loxley

They show four minutes of ship combat and folks just assume there's no on-the-ground gameplay at all? Wha? It's not out until fall next year, so they probably didn't have much else to show.

I thought it looked rad, definitely interested in seeing more. Especially if they're gonna have sea monsters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks ok but I'm still thinking Sea of Thieves just looks more fun (just played it today - it's fantastic).

Sea of Thieves, bit of comedy look: E3 2015 and E3 2016, delayed to "early 2018"

Skull and Bones, realistic looking like AC on multi, fall 2018

Now, nobody can realistically say they are the same or they aren't - we haven't played it. But first look matters a lot. Ever heard of Overwatch vs Battleborn? One was destined to fail, however great the game was.

Going back to SoT, as I mentioned it has been shown three times at an E3 already. Might be 4 before it releases, maybe. That together with a cartoonish is easily enough for the masses to go "well, whatever".

SoT has been playable for awhile. They have weekly alpha tests where they keep adding and tweaking components. The game is very far along.

The gods have answered! Ive always wanted Ubi to take the Black Flag concept and make a real pirate game. Looks like its only ship to shop though?

Looks more like World of Ships than Sea of Thieves...

I dunno how I feel about that.

Good call. That is the way I would describe it.

It's essentially an HP based naval combat game.

SoT is very different. Only takes on cannonball to sink your ship in SoT if they aim below the waterline. Your team members need to run below and patch holes which show up under the waterline from any shots aimed there.

EYEL1NER

I've been wanting a pirate game sans the Assassin's Creed brand since first playing Black Flag and began wanting one again when Rogue went BC on Xbone. I love both of those games and don't mind the AssCreed parts but I still want a pure pirate/sailing game that could be independent of the AC brand (I did still want cool towns/jungles/shipwrecks to explore and being able to hop aboard an enemy ship to engage in hand-to-hand combat). If this is in fact a multiplayer game ala The Division, I'll pass until it is in the bargain bin. At no point during my time in Black Flag or Rogue did I wish it was a multiplayer game.

Top Bottom