• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

First page is on point as usual.

Just like the industry has no room for more than one shooter, it also has no room for more than one Pirate game. Especially when the games are exactly the same.

RIP Rare.

You had a good run.

A-V-B

This is basically the pirate Assassin's Creed game we were all wanting to be spun off into its own IP.

tumblr_n42y8uGoNK1rzik3go1_250.gif

TI82

Banned
I'm stuck at work and can't watch the videos. Can you actually get off your ship and run around with other people? All I can see so far is ship combat that looks exactly like Black Flag

So far now it is JUST the black flag ship parts, but multiplayer battle arena style. Nothing looked new.

cakely

Looks good (great, actually), but more like a "World of Pirates" than a direct competitor to Sea of Thieves.

But, the theme and the timing are not good for Rare, especially if this game ends up being released first.

If they had just given us Black Flag 2, but set outside of the AC universe, maybe throw in some ghost pirates or something fun like that, then this would have easily been my game of the show.

Yeah, they just had to do Black Flag 2 with a new universe or an adaptation of Pirates of the Carribean.

Well, maybe we didn't see everything, I hope there will be at last some boarding and swordfighting...

ryan299

Didn't show much depth there. No fighting, just automatic boarding, and sailing over loot. That's not good.

SoT looks better, bc of boarding and fighting, but it looks like its only about treasure hunting.

Interesting to see which turns out better

So they basically got AC Black Flag

And removed all the Assassins'

And now we're left with this game.

Genius Ubisoft, Genius. Even the pirate music is the same.

This is what I don't like about what I'm seeing. I want to be able to explore my ship too. To be able to cast the anchor in calm waters, climb the crows nest and chill while I watch for incoming threats. This was already possible in Black Flag and that's without counting getting off the ship.

If I can't get off and explore then I'm basically glued to the wheel in a big bucket of water. Not what I want from a pirate game.

Van Bur3n

From what I've seen, Skull and Bones seems more naval combat oriented, while Sea of Thieves is more about exploration, but at sea and on land. Although they're both pirate themed, gameplay wise, they don't seem very similar.

Although both offer naval combat, again, Skull and Bones seems to focus more on it while dumping everything else that the likes of Sea of Thieves and Black Flag have to offer. I suppose if you're all about naval combat Skull and Bones may be your bottle of rum.

Don't really have an interest in either. But if I had to choose, I'd be more interested in Sea of Thieves. A naval combat focused game where the open world is just sailing in the water doesn't sound very fun to me. I don't think this is the dream pirate game people were asking from Ubisoft that is Black Flag but without the AC.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Oh for fucks sake.

I love pirates, but Rare was already on it's last chance with MS. They announced a delay yesterday (remember how those delays for Fable legends ended?) and now this is super similar and due out before it.

Not like this.gif

Unless SoT is delayed again itll be out first.

Trup1aya

This really doesn't seem all that similar to SoT... is this all naval combat? And you just play as the captain as far as I can see... no swashbuckling, no exploring islands. Boarding just triggered an animation, rather than players actually hopping out and kicking ass... That'll get old pretty fast imo.

An open world where I'm glued to the ship the whole time doesn't sound very intriguing.

dr_rus

So you just steaming and shooting all the time in this one and can do nothing else? That's so not what people meant when they were asking to turn AC4 into a proper pirate game...

haveheart

Banned
This looks like Rebel Galaxy. This doesn't seem to have much in common with Rare's game except for the scenario.

Is this whole game really just an expanded version of Black Flag's naval segments? Sure seems like it...

El-Suave

120 days may have been the life of the average pirate at that time, but it's still longer than the life of an average Ubisoft game with a multiplayer focus in today's world.

Orca

This is basically the pirate Assassin's Creed game we were all wanting to be spun off into its own IP.

Not really. This is just the ship-based stuff, and not even the 'attack the other crew' portions of that.

People wanted Black Flag: The Game. Ubisoft is doing Black Flag: You're The Boat.

Bizzquik

Time to change the thread name:
Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-water-world multiplayer Pirates game

This world has no land.

Yeah, they just had to do Black Flag 2 with a new universe or an adaptation of Pirates of the Carribean.

Well, maybe we didn't see everything, I hope there will be at last some boarding and swordfighting...
In the gameplay demo there was only automatic boarding, so I doubt there is actual gameplay involved with boarding or they would have probably shown it off :(

Humidex

Mechanically, game looks fine. If only they applied that engine to a Master an Commander game, chasing down the Acheron...

GTSweet

Neo Member
This looked exactly like AC4 from 3/4 years ago right? I didn't see noticeable visual upgrades.

Looks fun though (more important than graphics)!

Artdayne

If the game is strictly ship battles, then I'm a bit disappointed. There are so many possibilities with a setting like this that are all but untouched in gaming. I want a game that captures the awe and fear of ocean traversal. Where storms do more than just look cool, they represent meaningful game failure states. They could have added a bunch of stuff that gave the game a Sid Meiers Pirates! vibe but it seems to be strictly a multiplayer ship battles game.

NinjaBoiX

Looks pretty decent, better than Sea Of Thieves anyway, I don't think that looks good at all.
Sea of Thieves looks a little janky but I can guarantee it'll have more soul and wit than this game.
Ugh, the "soul" argument, what a beige shrug of a comment.

Dabanton

The 'Rare is done' comments in this thread are strange. This looks like it's trying something a lot different to that game.

Tawpgun

Yall think just because its Pirate game its the same. It shares a common theme but the gameplay is so different.

And honestly, I don't think this one looks as fun as Sea of Thieves. I don't buy that its open world. The entire thing was structured like a multiplayer match with a score and everything.

To me it looks like PvP Black Flag.

zeexlash

This looks great, but I thought the latest demo of Sea of Thieves did too. The comparisons are inevitable even though they have very different vibes, so I hope there's space for both.

Also people saying 'RIP Rare' - I'm convinced that company is ring-fenced to the point of being almost invincible at this stage, they're going nowhere.

Surprised about all the reactions here. This time me looks like Black Flag but now the naval combat has turned into its own game. Many things here are exactly like that.

Plasma

Banned
I liked the naval combat in AC4 but there was much more to that game than just that, from what they showed of this game that seems to be all it is. They've even stripped away the combat when you board an enemy ship and replaced it with a cutscene.

Jumeira

Banned
First page is just shameful. Awful

Rare's game is nothing like this, the only connection is Pirate context, the offerings are worlds apart. We have multiple games sharing genre's, why would Rare be in trouble?

Missed the conference but had a quick look at the video and it looks like each player controls their own ship and work together to form a fleet, unlike Sea of Thieves which has you controlling individual pirates that work together to form a crew?

Am I missing something because pirate theme aside, the two games seem to be pretty different?

Top Bottom